Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ecoli wrote: »
    Will be around for the morning in/beside the Elveries Van doing massages so don't be shy.

Wouldn't mind one before the race! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Runchick wrote: »
    Best of luck Willie42 the enforced rest may have done your legs the world of good, give it socks tomorrow :D

Am going to try and thats for sure:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

blockic wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind one before the race! :pac:

Doing pre race ones to actually had an unusual amount at the last 2 races in the series so pop in will be set up early enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

blockic wrote: »
    +1 Best of luck everyone. If anyone sees a pacer with red runners in Dublin make sure to come up to say hi. ;)
    Must. Resist. Urge. To. Comment!

Best of luck to everyone racing and pacing. Looks like the weather will be good for it anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Best of luck to u all racing n pacing over weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Best of luck everyone , hope it all goes to plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

best of luck to all over the weekend folks - looking forward to those race reports coming in -)) conditions should be near perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good luck to all racing at the weekend.Stay injury free!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Tough day at the office. 1.34.04. I paid for my lack of training since the 10 miler, stupidly went out at 6.50 pace and was found out. Simple! I was shot after 10 miles held on as best I could. Did anyone else find the condition rough?
    To take the positives my thigh, which was killing me all week and at first loosened up great after 3 miles so hopefully thats that injury cleared up and I can get back to running some decent mileage for the next few weeks. It was a 2 minute pb too.
    Just feeling a tad deflated as I was flying up until the 10 miler and its fallen apart since with that injury but its not the end of the world, still ran a pb off the back of a few weeks of almost no training. The skinful of beer at Roger Waters on Wednesday probably didn't help either :-) Thinking 3.30 at best in DCM at this stage.
    A bad day doesn't matter obviously with the distress some people were in on parts of the course. Really hope all are OK.

Good to meet Statss and his hair too. I was impressed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Tough day at the office. 1.34.04. I paid for my lack of training since the 10 miler, stupidly went out at 6.50 pace and was found out. Simple! I was shot after 10 miles held on as best I could. Did anyone else find the condition rough?
    To take the positives my thigh, which was killing me all week and at first loosened up great after 3 miles so hopefully thats that injury cleared up and I can get back to running some decent mileage for the next few weeks. It was a 2 minute pb too.
    Just feeling a tad deflated as I was flying up until the 10 miler and its fallen apart since with that injury but its not the end of the world, still ran a pb off the back of a few weeks of almost no training. The skinful of beer at Roger Waters on Wednesday probably didn't help either :-) Thinking 3.30 at best in DCM at this stage.

Good to meet Statss and his hair too. I was impressed!
    Well done on the pb. Always good when you have a disapointing race and still pb! I''d say you'd do 3:30 comfortably in Dublin ;)

• Advertisement

Well done, n congrats on your PB, sounds amazing time to me!

New runner wrote: »
    Well done, n congrats on your PB, sounds amazing time to me!

Youre right, I shouldn't be such a moaner! Were all in our own little bubble at times and tend to forget that!

Youre right, I shouldn't be such a moaner! Were all in our own little bubble at times and tend to forget that!

I can totally understand you feeling deflated though when u struggle n feel don't finish strong , it overshadows the result ( time) . I've had races where I have PB 'd n yet hated every sec as I've suffered during it n had no choice but to slow away down n others where although I haven't pb'd I've felt much better as finished stronger n maintained pace, it definitely leaves a much better feeling when u know you've paced it well etc. but take heart a 2 min PB is great n the next you will feel better during it.

New runner wrote: »
    I can totally understand you feeling deflated though when u struggle n feel don't finish strong , it overshadows the result ( time) . I've had races where I have PB 'd n yet hated every sec as I've suffered during it n had no choice but to slow away down n others where although I haven't pb'd I've felt much better as finished stronger n maintained pace, it definitely leaves a much better feeling when u know you've paced it well etc. but take heart a 2 min PB is great n the next you will feel better during it.

Very true, the other events in today's race put it in perspective. Times don't matter one jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I really struggled to a 1:47:39. Very warm conditions. My heart sank when the sun came out after 100m or so. Then I realised I'd left my gels at the bag drop. But it was obvious after a couple of miles that there'd be no PB today. Great organisation. Fair play to the very busy medics, ambulance drivers and gardai. Terrible news about the runner who died.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Just read about it on RunningKings log. What tragic news. We bitch and moan if we have a bad race, this puts everything in perspective. Poor man and thoughts are with his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

Devastated to hear about that runner!

Quick review of my day (not a good one for me either). I kept fairly close to the1:30 pacers for fair bit, slowed down to take water and lucosade at the second water table which i think was about 7/8 miles? and just couldn't get going again. As the pacers disappeared off in the distance my head dropped and I was down to around mp for a lot of the rest! 1:36 odd finish, a touch disappointed, but finished (was certainly in my head to go home a few times - esp at island bridge which was 4k from home and 4k to finish line!)

Will get the harming data later and see how far I got before it went pear shaped! Kept eye out for the pacers after but missed them somewhere, poked my head into Ryan's on the way home but didn't see anyone, prob too early.. Hopefully will catch up next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Well done today everyone, great going! Sounds like it was so humid so that's an even bigger achievement.
    I'm so sorry to hear about that tragedy today, god love all involved . It really does out things into perspective!

So sad to hear the tragic news of that mans death today, def puts things into prospective! RIP :(
    Well done to u all today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

well done everyone today. dont be too disheartened murph...still a decent runout. i hate the heat too.

managed a 10 mile lsr today. longest run since end august. hopefully can build on this now next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Had my first DNF yesterday. Haven't been 100% last couple of weeks, head old cough etc. Felt fine yesterday so thought I would give the race a bash. I've got asthma and don't usually carry my inhaler to races. After the 10 mile race I had to into the medic tent to get one. So brought the inhaler yesterday to be on the safe side. Chest started to tighten at 6 miles so stopped and took my inhaler, walked a bit to let it take effect, and just continued to get worse, was struggling for breath so took the decision to stop. Felt a lot better after 20 mins or so and was able to go to the finish and cheer people home which was great. I felt like a total failure stopping and then the news filtered through about all the people who collapsed and that poor man who died. Am so glad now I stopped as I've no doubt I'd have hit the deck soon after had I not. RIP to the runner who died and I hope everyone else who got into trouble was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Wow Deedee what an experience for you. I'm so glad you stopped when you did, absolutely the right call. I've just found out that I'm asthmatic too so find your experience very interesting. Do you think the heat made it worse for you or the cold that you had?

Wow Deedee what an experience for you. I'm so glad you stopped when you did, absolutely the right call. I've just found out that I'm asthmatic too so find your experience very interesting. Do you think the heat made it worse for you or the cold that you had?

Thanks Runchick, I think it was the cold I had. It was hot but I felt fairly comfortable I wasn't struggling before things went awry, I knew early on that it wasn't a PB day so had pulled the pace back to comfortable. The asthma and running can be tricky, it's the main limiting factor on how fast I can run. I don't feel I have it under control and had gone to docs after the 10 miler to ask for different inhalers in a bid to get it sorted. It's a work in progress. How do you find the asthma affects your running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Alanm wrote: »
    Quick review of my day (not a good one for me either). I kept fairly close to the1:30 pacers for fair bit, slowed down to take water and lucosade at the second water table which i think was about 7/8 miles? and just couldn't get going again. As the pacers disappeared off in the distance my head dropped and I was down to around mp for a lot of the rest! 1:36 odd finish, a touch disappointed, but finished (was certainly in my head to go home a few times - esp at island bridge which was 4k from home and 4k to finish line!)

Will get the harming data later and see how far I got before it went pear shaped! Kept eye out for the pacers after but missed them somewhere, poked my head into Ryan's on the way home but didn't see anyone, prob too early.. Hopefully will catch up next time!

Ya should have introduced yourself Alan. next time hopefully. We were in Ryans from about 1:30 to 6ish....good craic.

I wouldn't be too disheartened on the results yesterday everyone, it was very humid out there and I was sweating before it even started!! Really enjoyed the day but the terrible news on the guy who passed away really hit home, after having a collapsing experience myself a few months back, it's very scary. Knowing that he was likely only a minute or two behind me also gave me a real sobering effect on how at times we take going out for a run for granted.

Stay safe out there folks. I know for one, I'll be looking to get tested before Chicago.

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Thanks Runchick, I think it was the cold I had. It was hot but I felt fairly comfortable I wasn't struggling before things went awry, I knew early on that it wasn't a PB day so had pulled the pace back to comfortable. The asthma and running can be tricky, it's the main limiting factor on how fast I can run. I don't feel I have it under control and had gone to docs after the 10 miler to ask for different inhalers in a bid to get it sorted. It's a work in progress. How do you find the asthma affects your running?

Early days for me but as far as I can tell its definitely putting a limit on pace, I suppose it just takes longer to build up aerobic capacity and to naturally speed up over time. Distance doesn't seem to be a problem though - the further the better for me :)

Early days for me but as far as I can tell its definitely putting a limit on pace, I suppose it just takes longer to build up aerobic capacity and to naturally speed up over time. Distance doesn't seem to be a problem though - the further the better for me :)

Sounds similar to me, think that's why I prefer longer races, in fact I have a yen to do an ultra. Just need to get right for DCM now. Hope you get your asthma under control and it doesn't hinder you in what you want to do. If you come across any tips or good ideas in relation to it keep me posted :-)

Sounds similar to me, think that's why I prefer longer races, in fact I have a yen to do an ultra. Just need to get right for DCM now. Hope you get your asthma under control and it doesn't hinder you in what you want to do. If you come across any tips or good ideas in relation to it keep me posted :-)

Haha Deedee I posted something on my log today about wanting to do an ultra - maybe I'll have a virtual training partner :D Are you doing DCM this year?

Haha Deedee I posted something on my log today about wanting to do an ultra - maybe I'll have a virtual training partner :D Are you doing DCM this year?

That's gas, have resigned myself to never being quick so will have to run further. Yep DCM this year, clock is ticking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

Paula Radcliffe has exercise induced asthma all her life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Big Logger wrote: »
    Paula Radcliffe has exercise induced asthma all her life.

That's nothing, career move has had running induced OCD for the last 18 months :D

Advertisement