Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Best of luck to you Red Runner getting stuck back into it. What the Physio did to you sounds so painful! I was sidelined myself this week so far with a niggle hoping I've it sorted now.

Anyone else finding it hard to pencil in the midweek long runs? I'm hoping to do mine tomo. Just wondering Meno is it getting the 14miles in that's most important or the 10 at MP? If time didn't permit would it be of any benefit to say do 3easy in am and then 11-12 in eve with the 10at MP thrown in? Just wondering. Thanks

Thanks. It wasn't actually as bad as it might sound:)
    Hope your own injury is sorted too. Good luck with the session tomorrow.
    I'm finding it hard to pencil in all runs at moment with work and family stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Cheers Meno, no Ill make sure I get the 14 in. :D Was just really curious about the time on feet Vs MP pace element of it. I agree with warm up and cool down, I'm swearing by the recovery element of my training these days. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Anyone else finding it hard to pencil in the midweek long runs?

I'm finding it easy enough to pencil them in. Doing them is another thing! Hope to get out tonight for mine.

EDIT: got it done. Details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Well done on your good run n big congrats on passing the 1000m mark!

10 miles tonight with 6 @MP (New MP:)) Delighted with how the run went and no back problems whatsoever. Bring on the LSR now at weekend.
    Details on my log:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795328&page=52

Should I try a few MP miles Meno since todays run went so well? Looking at doing 18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

RedRunner wrote: »
    10 miles tonight with 6 @MP (New MP:)) Delighted with how the run went and no back problems whatsoever. Bring on the LSR now at weekend.
    Details on my log:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795328&page=52

Should I try a few MP miles Meno since todays run went so well? Looking at doing 18

TBH, if it was me, if you are given an inch, take the inch and be happy!!

My advise would be to run the 18 real slow on the weekend, no MP, gain confidence in that knowing it's in the bag and move onto next week when you can start getting slowly back to normal routine and putting in some MP then.

Last thing you want now is another setback.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Got mid week session in last night – 10 miles @ MPM (8:52 avg) was delighted to get it done as was shattered this week so hopefully after LSR at weekend things will start to feel better next week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Good to see most midweek sessions have gone ok, got mine in on Wednesday morning, planned pace 8:20, average over the 10 miles 8:25.
    Thankfully conditions were a bit cooler for this compared to the last few weeks.

My new runners for the marathon have arrived too courtesy of Mrs. Docjewel :-) so fingers crossed for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Great to see everyone doing well with the training. I've been sick all week but hoping to make a comeback tomorrow - nothing crazy, 10 or 12 miles maybe, less if not feeling good. Then back to full training next week, all being well.

But where does this leave me target wise? Before this I thought 3.55 was very achievable - all I'm really interested in is finishing strong - time is secondary. But with 4 weeks to go and 10 days training missed I'm not sure if that's still doable. I'm thinking 2 weeks solid training and a 2 week taper as I've had a break already. Any thoughts appreciated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Runchick wrote: »
    Great to see everyone doing well with the training. I've been sick all week but hoping to make a comeback tomorrow - nothing crazy, 10 or 12 miles maybe, less if not feeling good. Then back to full training next week, all being well.

But where does this leave me target wise? Before this I thought 3.55 was very achievable - all I'm really interested in is finishing strong - time is secondary. But with 4 weeks to go and 10 days training missed I'm not sure if that's still doable. I'm thinking 2 weeks solid training and a 2 week taper as I've had a break already. Any thoughts appreciated...
    According to this article you have very little to worry about if you take a break for 2 weeks or less. A 5k runner would see a decline of approx 6% in vo2 max but that can be made up for by two weeks of solid training.

• Advertisement

According to this article you have very little to worry about if you take a break for 2 weeks or less. A 5k runner would see a decline of approx 6% in vo2 max but that can be made up for by two weeks of solid training.

Brilliant thanks, here's hoping for 2 good solid weeks then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    TBH, if it was me, if you are given an inch, take the inch and be happy!!

My advise would be to run the 18 real slow on the weekend, no MP, gain confidence in that knowing it's in the bag and move onto next week when you can start getting slowly back to normal routine and putting in some MP then.

Last thing you want now is another setback.

Sorry, been busy but 100% agree with this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

menoscemo wrote: »
    How is everyone feeling and what are the Marathon targets?

Hi All, I don't quite know what my Marathon target is yet :eek: but I guess I'd better decide. Last year I did 3:57 in Dublin coming off a 1:50:05 half in Dublin a few weeks before. This year I have much more of a base (about 1100 miles this year) and like last year I've been following P&D programme (33-55 miles and very religiously!). So last Saturday in the half I got a PB of 1:48:42 - I had hoped for a bit better but I guess with the day that was in it, it wasn't too bad. Does 3:50 sound realistic as a goal do you think?

On another (unfortunate) note, my achilles started bothering me towards the end of my Wed run (12 miles), so I rested yesterday and was due to do about 9 today but had to call a halt to the run, because the Achilles was at me again badly about a mile in and it didn't really loosen out and was quite sore :( I was due to do 18 miles with 14 @ MP this weekend, but I'm guessing that's out. It's a really key workout though, so I'm loathe to miss it. Could I push it out to during the week maybe and what about my final 20 miler? [I've done a 20 and a 22 already and lots of 16s-18s]. I've been icing and stretching in the hope it clears up. I'm so paranoid about not missing out on any training in the last two weeks of the programme before the taper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Look after that injury! Getting to the start line is the Main thing.

Well done on the mileage and following the plan, most of the work is done and your target time seems reasonable.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Marathon target? 3.29 I think. Training has been poor for me these last few weeks with an injury and poxy work messing me up. I ran 41.00 in the 10k, 68.4x in the 10 miler and 1.34.04 in the half along with a 19.40 5k back in June. I've not missed any long runs thankfully but I know I still need to work alot on my endurance. 3.25 might be a stretch goal but I reckon its a sub 3.30 tilt. I'm not gonna run with pacers either, gonna probably start at mp+10 seconds for a few miles as I've raced best with this approach in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Did my 22miles this morning, was very slow starting off the legs felt very tired but woke up after a few miles. Ignored the watch all the way around, love just going by feel. Ended up with 8.33/mile average so prob a bit too fast for my easy pace ?! I think it will be another early night for me, all the miles take their toll. The run today brought me up to 50 for the week, prob just do 4/5miles recovery tomo. So won't make the top target of a 60mile week. Pity cos I'd love to but I just wasn't able to fit in those extra few miles this week.

My target time is 3.30 but from talking to a few and seeing my times compared to others on here who are also targeting a sub 3.30 and have way better times than me I think I may have to go for a plan B. Anyways Ill have plenty of time to think about all this when taper madness sets in . ( Sorry I know I'm being very early using the TM words :D)

Nice running. But slow down a bit! Re your target time, I think we're all getting a bit doubtful about our original choice. Hopefully this is normal. I'm thinking of dropping to 3:50 myself instead of 3:45. Although I think if they hadn't changed the pacer times I'd have stuck with it. Definitely going with a pace group so I can conserve the mental energy a bit more. That's assuming I make it through the next few weeks of course. Looking forward to my own 22-miler tomorrow. Going to run most of the DCM course for a change of scenery!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

murphd77 wrote: »
    Nice running. But slow down a bit! Re your target time, I think we're all getting a bit doubtful about our original choice. Hopefully this is normal. I'm thinking of dropping to 3:50 myself instead of 3:45. Although I think if they hadn't changed the pacer times I'd have stuck with it. Definitely going with a pace group so I can conserve the mental energy a bit more. That's assuming I make it through the next few weeks of course. Looking forward to my own 22-miler tomorrow. Going to run most of the DCM course for a change of scenery!
    Murphd it's obviously your decision but I know we have had similar times in the past so for what it's worth I'm going give u my opinion/advise - if I was you, I'd aim for the 3.50 n push on at mile 20 when u are feeling strong as you haven't pushed too hard up to that, mentally as well as pysical this will enable you to finish strong and prob dip under the 3.50 n even u don't I'd bet u finish stronger than pushing too hard n really suffering in the last few miles, where even mentally it's hard if u slowing down etc. I know for the Derry marathon I really wish I'd aimed for 3.50 instead of 3.45 n slowed away down the 1st half to give good negative split. I feel I'd have dipped under the 3.50 n had much better run instead of suffering big time n finishing in 3.52. I know I'd had other issues which affected me but as I already said if now I'd have aimed for 3.50 instead. It will still give u a good PB , however it's your decision n I really hope u have a great run n meet your target.

Did my 22miles this morning, was very slow starting off the legs felt very tired but woke up after a few miles. Ignored the watch all the way around, love just going by feel. Ended up with 8.33/mile average so prob a bit too fast for my easy pace ?! I think it will be another early night for me, all the miles take their toll. The run today brought me up to 50 for the week, prob just do 4/5miles recovery tomo. So won't make the top target of a 60mile week. Pity cos I'd love to but I just wasn't able to fit in those extra few miles this week.

My target time is 3.30 but from talking to a few and seeing my times compared to others on here who are also targeting a sub 3.30 and have way better times than me I think I may have to go for a plan B. Anyways Ill have plenty of time to think about all this when taper madness sets in . ( Sorry I know I'm being very early using the TM words :D)

That's a super run; I'd call that 22 steady which means you have already done next week's run ;)
    Seriously though 22 at that pace is great, and if it felt easy enough you are well on course for 3:30

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 14 miles with 10 alternating around MP |Recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|22 miles with stuff*| 50-60 miles

Wednesday session: 2 miles warm up then 10 miles alternating MP+ 3% with MP -3%. 2 miles c/d
    So for a 3:30 MP (8 min/mile) run one mile @ 8:15, followed by a mile @ 7:45 and repeat x 5

Long run with stuff
    I am going to give you a few options here, but basically we want some quality in the long run as it will be our last long one before the day.
    You could do all the 22 miles steady (i.e. about MP +4-5%) and if feasible try to do the last few miles at MP
    Another option is 10 miles easy, followed by 10@ MP and a 2 mile c/d

There are also some great races on next weekend: the Kilcock Kilomathon, cork to Cobh 15 miles and Athlone 3/4. If you are near one or planning on doing one you can work the above workout into it. Just do a w/u and/or c/d to make up the total miles.
    Run the races (or part of them) at MP by all means but don't race them flat out; stick to MP and no faster.

For Cork to Cobh or the Kilomarathon I suggest running the first few miles easy and the rest at MP. With Athlone I'd recommend running the race 'steady' with the appropriate Pace group. The pace groups will be (I think) running about 4% slower than the actual MP (the 3:30 group runs at 8:20 a mile I believe). In the case of Athlone you can pick up the pace to MP over the last 3-4 miles if feeling good.

Anyway best of luck; nearly there now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Look after that injury! Getting to the start line is the Main thing.

Well done on the mileage and following the plan, most of the work is done and your target time seems reasonable.

Best of luck with it.

Thanks and sorry to have read about your own woes. The decision about DCM must have been a hard one to make :(. Hope you're feelilng ok about it now. I think the achilles is on the mend, but found it so hard to resist trying my long run this weekend. I didn't do the 17 after the half last weekend so that's two in a row I will have missed :eek: and at this stage they seem so important.

New runner wrote: »
    Murphd it's obviously your decision but I know we have had similar times in the past so for what it's worth I'm going give u my opinion/advise - if I was you, I'd aim for the 3.50 n push on at mile 20.

Thanks New runner- that's exactly what I've been thinking myself. Although I will wait a week or two before deciding for sure. Would certainly prefer to finish strong. 3:48 has a nice ring to it :)

3 weeks to go

Have I missed a week :confused::D

Meno what do you recommend I do...I've missed the last 2 long runs due to illness. I've just starting running again this weekend but will be on antibiotics for another few days so not sure if a mid-week session is even wise this week. I was thinking of doing last week's plan this week (possibly not the session, just the mileage), this week's next week and just having a 2 week taper. Sound sensible or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Got my 22 miler done thus morning, 22.5 miles in 3hrs 30 mins,avg 9:20.
    Was just a 100yards or so from home with only 21.4miles on the watch:mad: so had to head off around the village to make up the distance:)

Managed to pass the 2000 mile mark for the year during this run too,just wish some of the results were better for all the running,but still a nice little boost leading up to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Well done Docj, that's an amazing mileage year so far and you're not nearly done yet, very inspiring. Did my 22 this afternoon in the park, pace was around 8.30, found the last few very tough and I had to ignore the demons trying to convince me to call it a day at 20. Slogfest in all reality for the last 5-6 but glad to have it done.

Runchick wrote: »
    Meno what do you recommend I do...I've missed the last 2 long runs due to illness. I've just starting running again this weekend but will be on antibiotics for another few days so not sure if a mid-week session is even wise this week. I was thinking of doing last week's plan this week (possibly not the session, just the mileage), this week's next week and just having a 2 week taper. Sound sensible or not?

You won't have lost fitness, but yeah: just do the 22 mile 'easy' LSR this weekend and do the 22 mile 'with stuff' the following weekend and taper from there.
    BTW you are assuming that I am prescribing a 3 week taper there ;)

Maybe try to do half of the midweek session this week: or perhaps just try 6-7 miles @ MP. Next week try to do the session prescribed for next week.

You won't have lost fitness, but yeah: just do the 22 mile 'easy' LSR this weekend and do the 22 mile 'with stuff' the following weekend and taper from there.
    BTW you are assuming that I am prescribing a 3 week taper there ;)

Maybe try to do half of the midweek session this week: or perhaps just try 6-7 miles @ MP. Next week try to do the session prescribed for next week.

Sounds like a plan. I think I know what's on the cards next week...missed that the first time ;)

Plan was to do 18 miles today to get my LSR mojo back. I didnt manage to do the 18 though:(....

........but I did manage to do 20 :D:p:pac::cool:

So happy and it is just a huge confidence boost after all my injury woes. It went really well for me and is my longest run of the year so far.Hopefully I can get in most of what Meno is prescribing for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Sun 29.09 LSR 22 miles

Well done to everyone on this weekend’s running - great stuff. Found the time on the legs no problem – decided to ignore watch and completely relax into the run and forget about pace – did 9:55 avg – 3:40 mins. Was really enjoying the run except last 6/7 miles had a stabbing pain in pelvis again but I didn’t feel the need to slow down. Had to be careful crossing road because if I turned too quickly to check road clear I would get stabbing pain in pelvis area – not nice. Was very sore for the rest of day/night. Legs were fine though! Had same problem last year at peak mileage and moved into groin area. Will try a few more exercises this week – which I haven’t been great at recently and hope easy running during week will keep it under control for LSR ‘with stuff’ at weekend!

Advertisement