Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

I don't know why but I was kinda dreading last Sunday's Lsr & also this week's mid-week session,maybe its all the running & the body is just looking for a little break but I'm gonna to put it down to the training & with the taper around the corner I should be ok.

Sat in the car for as few minutes this morning trying to judge whether or not to bring a running jacket,in the end just went with a short sleeved top.
    Good choice in the end as the rain held off & the sun actually made an appearance for the last few miles.Only downside was it was quite windy by the coast which affected some of the faster miles but again I tried to keep the effort as best possible.
    I hadn't set the watch up for the times that meno had suggested for this session but ran it off feeling, trying to go slightly slower & faster than my planned MP of 8:20

Session went as follows:-
    8:24,8:04,8:31,8:22,8:40,8:15,8:40,8:01,8:28,8:01.

Kinda surprised myself with the results when I looked at them,The session went better than I had expected :).

Hope the rain plays ball for everyone else doing this session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice job. Don't think I could replicate that without Virgil (as I call my virtual pacer). Looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I've been lurking on this thread ( and several others on the running forums of Boards) for quite a long time now, all the while running away with my own plan for DCM. I have to say, this thread in particular has been a massive source of information and inspiration.
    I suppose I am in a similar position as most people here, having completed DCM last year ( not for the first time but the first time since getting "back into d running") and have taken so much from the information posted here every day.
    Keep the posts coming folks, it really is great to see you all supporting each other and of course people like myself who have stolen ideas\learned lessons\taken inspiration from a few words posted on an internet forum!

And of course, best of luck to everyone over the coming weeks as the craziness kicks in !

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Wed Session - got drenched but hey thems the breaks. Legs felt good - last 4 miles pretty much pitch dark so didn't enjoy that much - a dog nearly upended me when he came from nowhere on last mile and tried to bite my shoes - I wonder did any of the neighbours hear the mad screaming woman running in the dark/rain last night past their house:o He took the heart out of me.

MP 8:55/9:00
    9:10 8:36, 9:09 8:31, 9:10 8:35, 9:28 8:44, 9:20 8:41

Felt good doing it, was definitely tired after it! Might try LSR at weekend @ MP+4/5% with some MP miles thrown in at end. Wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Just posted this on the novices thread but you guys might be interested too. Course breakdown for Dublin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68588259&postcount=667

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just posted this on the novices thread but you guys might be interested too. Course breakdown for Dublin

Great stuff, thanks k. Bet you'd love to be running it???

Session completed.

Felt strong, possibly because of a mathematical error that saw me run the fast miles too slowly. Except for the last one!

Onwards and upwards.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great stuff, thanks k. Bet you'd love to be running it???
    No bother. Nah I'm happy on the sidelines :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Had late night in work again last night so had to move session out to tonight.
    First session I've done in along time as its all been easy miles recently after the injuries. Went into it with the attitude that it wouldnt matter too much if I couldnt do the whole lot but let's give it a bash and see how I got on.

Did the two miles w/up . Aim was MP of 9mins +/- 15 secs. Didnt set it up on the Garmin so went by feel with the odd check of the watch to make sure I was on right pace. Ran it in the rain tonight but didnt mind too much as the wind was light enough.

Session miles: 9:12,8:41,9:12,8:43,9:12,8:44,9:15,8:46,9:09,8:39

Found this tough enough in the last few miles but was able to hang on. Back is a little sore now after it which I'm a bit nervous about so will be doing plenty of stretching over next few days.

Looks like you nailed it, Runrunner, well done. And look after that back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great! Much appreciated

RedRunner wrote: »
    Back is a little sore now after it which I'm a bit nervous about so will be doing plenty of stretching over next few days.

Back feeling ok this morning....phew! :D

Thanks CM great read - all helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

22 miles done this morning. As I'd done last weeks 22miles steady, I opted for 10miles easy, 10 miles at MP(7.55-8) and 2 cool down .
    Easy miles went: 9.45/9.06/9.05/9.08/9.12/9.06/9.16/9.04/8.57/8.52
    MP miles: 7.46/7.52/7.49/7.52/7.56/8.00/7.45/7.55/7.43/7.40
    Cool down : 10.18/9.07
    Found the MP miles pretty tough. But kept within my paces so am happy with that. Best of luck to everyone else on yours :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

DOCO12 wrote: »
    22 miles done this morning. As I'd done last weeks 22miles steady, I opted for 10miles easy, 10 miles at MP(7.55-8) and 2 cool down .
    Easy miles went: 9.45/9.06/9.05/9.08/9.12/9.06/9.16/9.04/8.57/8.52
    MP miles: 7.46/7.52/7.49/7.52/7.56/8.00/7.45/7.55/7.43/7.40
    Cool down : 10.18/9.07
    Found the MP miles pretty tough. But kept within my paces so am happy with that. Best of luck to everyone else on yours :D

That is super!! Don't worry about it feeling tough, it should be!! And besides most of those miles were faster than MP. You should be really confident of hitting your goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    That is super!! Don't worry about it feeling tough, it should be!! And besides most of those miles were faster than MP. You should be really confident of hitting your goal

+1..Great session and it clearly shows 3:30 is there for the taking. Even the easy miles are bang on if not faster than one would expect for 3:30

blockic wrote: »
    +1..Great session and it clearly shows 3:30 is there for the taking. Even the easy miles are bang on if not faster than one would expect for 3:30
    +2

GO DOCO :D

Well done DOCO...brilliant stuff.

I'm doing mine tomorrow but I'm unsure whether to try 10 easy and 10 pace or go for all of them steady.

Which do people think I'd get most benefit from given my recent training/injury history??:confused:

Well done DOCO...brilliant stuff.

I'm doing mine tomorrow but I'm unsure whether to try 10 easy and 10 pace or go for all of them steady.

Which do people think I'd get most benefit from given my recent training/injury history??:confused:

Given the injuries I would really just concentrate on getting the miles done. If you can manage to pick it up for the last few miles then great....It's never a good idea to jump into a plan after missing several weeks especially jump into the most intense part. The others have been building up to these workouts over weeks...

I think if you can get some PMP miles midweek and long runs at the weekend that's pretty much all you can do at this stage. I would also get one more 20 miler done next week if I were you (with a shortened version of next weeks midweek session). A 2 week taper is plenty for you especially seeing that DCM is a Monday.

Given the injuries I would really just concentrate on getting the miles done. If you can manage to pick it up for the last few miles then great....It's never a good idea to jump into a plan after missing several weeks especially jump into the most intense part. The others have been building up to these workouts over weeks...

I think if you can get some PMP miles midweek and long runs at the weekend that's pretty much all you can do at this stage. I would also get one more 20 miler done next week if I were you (with a shortened version of next weeks midweek session). A 2 week taper is plenty for you especially seeing that DCM is a Monday.

Grand, thanks for the advice. Was planning a two week taper anyhow with 20 next week( I must be learning something then from being on here;))
    I like the idea of trying some PMP during the week too.That'll get me used to the pace in the lead up.

Hope now I get a chance to run tomorrow. Have been working all day and now I've learned I need to come in tomorrow morning too:mad:

As if training wasn't hard enough!

I'll pray to the running gods tonight:)

• Advertisement

22 miles done this am. 18 steady and last 4 &MP (8:55/9)

9:22 9:24 9:46 (met neighbor!) 9:27 9:29 9:26 9:20 9:28 9:21 9:24 9:21 9:38 9:33 9:32 9:26 9:29 9:35 9:50 (couldn't get gel out!)

4@MP 8:59 9:00 9:00 8:40

Did 22.5 miles took 3 gels legs feel fine all day pelvis sore though found down hills tough time flew out there today in the sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Thanks for all the positive comments means allot, hopefully all will go to plan for us all on the day. Looking forward to seeing what you've in store for us next week Meno :)

22miles @9:48 today. Mostly easy miles in the 9:40-10min but managed 8:38 in mile 21 so felt like there was still something in the legs so will take a lot from that. Its been a tough week at work and this was only third run this week so thankful I got through it unscathed.

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 14 miles @MP |Recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|10k race or 16m Easy| 45-55 miles

So; a final sting in the tail on Wednesday. This is a key run and I would encourage you to practice you Marathon strategy with regards clothes, shoes and gels. You may as well see what everything feels like while running at MP. Try to take one gel (if you plan on taking them in the Marathon) at halfway just to test it out at this pace even though you don't actually 'need' it.
    The run should involve no warm up. You won't get a warmup mile on the big day. Don't fret if the first mile is a little slow- it should be, build into MP over the run and concentrate on keeping good form and feeling in tune with the body and the correct effort.
    Then Taoer begins!!

If you have a local race 5-10k in your area no harm on giving it a bash next weekend; though don't go out of your way to find a race if it doesn't suit. A good race now can be a good confidence boost. If you have a race on Saturday you might consider doing your MP run on Tuesday to give you extra recovery; however only do this if you did your long run this week on Saturday (not Sunday). If you race Saturday you can do an easy 13-14miles on Sunday if you feel up to it.If you don't feel up to it just do a recovery run on Sunday. The long runs have been done by now anyway.
    If you have a race on Sunday just forget about a Long run and accept the subsequent drop off in total mileage.

Good luck!!

Any chance of a bespoke plan for me this week?;):D

Sorry if that's cheeky..just don't want to do anything wrong in next couple of weeks.

Let's assume I'm doing 20 easy on Sunday. For midweek is what I'm wondering about. From what you said before maybe all 14 at PMP might be a bit risky perhaps?

Any chance of a bespoke plan for me this week?;):D

Sorry if that's cheeky..just don't want to do anything wrong in next couple of weeks.

Let's assume I'm doing 20 easy on Sunday. For midweek is what I'm wondering about. From what you said before maybe all 14 at PMP might be a bit risky perhaps?

Sorry RR, I meant to put something in for you. I would try for 10 MP in the midweek. I think the target MP is quite handy for you so 10 shouldn't be too much of a risk. Maybe add 4 easy at the end to make up a higher mileage week...What do you think?
    Well done on today's run btw. Looks like you will deffo be OK for a good PB in DCM.

A bit out of sync myself this week so can't do the long run till tomorrow. Good running, you all!

Sorry RR, I meant to put something in for you. I would try for 10 MP in the midweek. I think the target MP is quite handy for you so 10 shouldn't be too much of a risk. Maybe add 4 easy at the end to make up a higher mileage week...What do you think?
    Well done on today's run btw. Looks like you will deffo be OK for a good PB in DCM.

Brilliant yes, thanks. I'll try that.

I can almost taste that pint in McGrattans now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey meno should I do the same as RR? Managed a solid 18m yesterday and seem to be well on the mend but still on antibiotics til Wednesday. Planning the 22 with 10 @ MP next Sat. Would love to give the 14 @ MP a go but thinking its probably too much? What would you advise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey meno should I do the same as RR? Managed a solid 18m yesterday and seem to be well on the mend but still on antibiotics til Wednesday. Planning the 22 with 10 @ MP next Sat. Would love to give the 14 @ MP a go but thinking its probably too much? What would you advise?

24 mp miles less than 3 weeks from the marathon and on a low mileage last month?

I think you already know the answer!!

Advertisement