Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey meno should I do the same as RR? Managed a solid 18m yesterday and seem to be well on the mend but still on antibiotics til Wednesday. Planning the 22 with 10 @ MP next Sat. Would love to give the 14 @ MP a go but thinking its probably too much? What would you advise?

Hmmm, that would be a lot of MP for one week.
    I would do a shortened version on Wednesday (maybe 6-8 miles @ MP as part of a longer run) as you will be doing 10 more MP miles on Saturday anyway. That's loads for a week. Use Wednesday's run as a guage for your MP pace on Saturday. How does that sound?

2 week tapers are the new 3 week taper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Gavlor wrote: »
    24 mp miles less than 3 weeks from the marathon and on a low mileage last month?

I think you already know the answer!!

Yes but meno may suggest the 14 @MP is more important than the 10 during the long run, thats what I was getting at :rolleyes:

Runchick wrote: »
    Yes but meno may suggest the 14 @MP is more important than the 10 during the long run, thats what I was getting at :rolleyes:

That's certainly another option: 14 @ MP midweek and then an 'easy' long run at the weekend. The only problem is that if you are unsure of your MP at the moment then trying 14 at a pace that may be too fast (or slow) would not be great. You really want to be sure of your target pace before going for 14 consecutive miles.
    The 6-8 @Mp on wednesday should give a you a good indicator of the pace for Saturday.

BTW in the grand scheme of things I reckon that 22 with 10 @ MP is an A++ session. 14 @ MP is probably just a 'A' session :D

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

A bad week for me, felt calf tighten last weekend on the long run. Shortened the wednesday run due to it still not being perfect, although I got through 10k quite well. Went out for recovery run on Thursday and knew after 20 mins or so that I've still a problem. Have rested it for the last few days and missed my long run over the weekend. Hoping to get to physio tomorrow to get checked out, 95% sure nothing wrong other that a few big knots that need to get sorted.

Away in Budapest next weekend and will be doing a 7k race over there (part of their marathon race). I'm considering doing my long run maybe wednesday instead of the session as I'd really like to get one 22 miler under my belt: 2*18, 2*20 and 1*21 are my long runs so far which is hopefully enough to get through the marathon albeit possibly slower than my initial thoughts earlier this year. 3:30 is probably more sensible for me now considering I've missed a bunch of the PMP miles.

Alanm wrote: »
    A bad week for me, felt calf tighten last weekend on the long run. Shortened the wednesday run due to it still not being perfect, although I got through 10k quite well. Went out for recovery run on Thursday and knew after 20 mins or so that I've still a problem. Have rested it for the last few days and missed my long run over the weekend. Hoping to get to physio tomorrow to get checked out, 95% sure nothing wrong other that a few big knots that need to get sorted.

Away in Budapest next weekend and will be doing a 7k race over there (part of their marathon race). I'm considering doing my long run maybe wednesday instead of the session as I'd really like to get one 22 miler under my belt: 2*18, 2*20 and 1*21 are my long runs so far which is hopefully enough to get through the marathon albeit possibly slower than my initial thoughts earlier this year. 3:30 is probably more sensible for me now considering I've missed a bunch of the PMP miles.

Sounds like a good plan to get a 22 miler in midweek (remember DCM is a monday so still almost a 3 week taper) if you can get the calf sorted out; maybe try a few PMP miles at the end.
    Good luck in the 7k race in Buapest!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Alanm wrote: »

Great stuff- I'll be running the full mara in Budapest this weekend! As far as I know we're the only two boardsies over for that race...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Meno - your plan has been recommended to me in my log so I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter...
    When is the full, concise version available on amazon (or when can I rob it off here in full)?

Ye Dublin 2012 graduates are spoiled rotten! :)

drquirky wrote: »
    Great stuff- I'll be running the full mara in Budapest this weekend! As far as I know we're the only two boardsies over for that race...

Good luck! Great city and looks like a nice marathon route..

Beef wrote: »
    Meno - your plan has been recommended to me in my log so I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter...
    When is the full, concise version available on amazon (or when can I rob it off here in full)?

Ye Dublin 2012 graduates are spoiled rotten! :)

Haha, I am not very good with Excel etc and I have just been posting it on a weekly basis.
    I am sure however that C_M can help you if you PM her as she has everything on an excell sheet.
    I should note that her plan is not exactly the same as that which the graduates follwoed (different race dates etc) but the bones and structure of it are pretty much the same..

Excellent - thanks very much for that, I'll go and bother her instead. :)

Where would you place it in terms of difficulty in relation to P&D's 18 week 55 mile program which I'm also considering? I know it's not easy to compare training plans. I'm just concentrating on getting in solid 35/40 mile weeks until December when I intend to start your plan/P&D.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Where would you place it in terms of difficulty in relation to P&D's 18 week 55 mile program which I'm also considering? I know it's not easy to compare training plans. I'm just concentrating on getting in solid 35/40 mile weeks until December when I intend to start your plan/P&D.

Thanks again.

I'd say it's similar; it's just that I place more emphasis on MP stuff and less on VO2 max. I just feel it is important to be more specific when training for a marathon.

The amount of miles you do is entirely up (once you do the weekly session and long run) to you but I would recommend you peaking at 50 MPW at least. I have used the same plan and ran up to 70 miles per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Day-late long run done: details here.

Felt good throughout -- the "meno plan" continues to please. :)

Main issue I suppose is whether to stick with 3:45 or go with 3:50 pacers. Anyone else targeting 3:45? Maybe we can set up our own pace group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

murphd77 wrote: »
    Day-late long run done: details here.

Felt good throughout -- the "meno plan" continues to please. :)

Main issue I suppose is whether to stick with 3:45 or go with 3:50 pacers. Anyone else targeting 3:45? Maybe we can set up our own pace group.

Great work there. Looking in good shape based on that. Pre injury I would have joined you for that exclusive pace group...but alas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thanks again.
    Plan is in my training log The paces are based around a 3:30 marathon so 8 min/mi. I would definitely recommend this plan over p&d. It was the business :D

Plan is in my training log The paces are based around a 3:30 marathon so 8 min/mi. I would definitely recommend this plan over p&d. It was the business :D

Nice sheet. And very colourful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

murphd77 wrote: »
    Nice sheet. And very colourful!
    Thanks. I'm a colourful kind of person ;):D

Thanks for putting that up!! I have that very sheet printed out and refer to it every sunday :pac:

Beef, remember the obligatory runs are the the Long runs the Sessions and the recoveries (yellow and Pink and green ones :D) the rest of the weekly mileage can be spread out as you wish. C_M was fond of pushing the higher end of the mileage and doing the odd double on easy days.
    Also find races to suit where you live and swap the weeks around.

Ah fair play to you both, that's an excellent looking plan. Thanks very much, I owe ye both a pint! I'll oblige at blocky's gig at the Stook 10 miler... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Hey guys,

Is the route the same this year as last? Also anyone have the video of the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

Bad night at the office - 4 days after a 21m and it felt like hell to do even 2mls.calves have completely tightened up despite stretching every day.Oh well a phone call to the physio tonight I guess.or has anyone any 'miracle suggestions' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Just stumbled across last year's DCM participant guide, random. However I spotted a great quote on the back on it from one of the running manufacturer sponsors....thought it was good.

"I am made of all the days you don't see, not just the one you do"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

blockic wrote: »

"I am made of all the days you don't see, not just the one you do"

Deep Man...Deep

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Went for the 22mile steady option on Sunday, was slightly ahead of target pace until about the last 4 miles which were mostly uphill, ended up with an average pace of 8:42.

Midweek session done this morning, went a lot better than expected, 14 miles at an average of 8:08,a tad faster than planned pace of 8:20, really enjoyed this session this morning, first mile or so was a slower than planned but once the pace picked up it felt comfortable enough, except for the odd hill.

How many of us are still on board and are we still aiming at the same time? Seems like we've dropped one or two people and gained a few too. How about updating our original table? I'll get the ball rolling.

User|Marathon PB|DCM Goal|Comments
    murphd77|4:02:26|3:45:00|Wish there was a 3:45 pacer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

murphd77|4:02:26|3:45:00|Wish there was a 3:45 pacer. :)|
    overpronator|3.36.xx Limerick 2013|3.29.xx|Have no idea how this is gonna go

murphd77|4:02:26|3:45:00|Wish there was a 3:45 pacer. :)|
    AlanM|3:44|3:29|Confidence back up a bit|

Just in from my last long run, which I have to say, I not going to miss - 3 hrs + runs are hard. Went to physio yesterday who found that my quad was the cause of my calf issues (not sure why I didn't think of that :rolleyes:). So, foam rolling in the physio and a bit more last night, I headed out this afternoon to attempt the 22 miles LSR I missed last weekend.

Ran at a comfortable pace, didn't want to push too hard just in case and I had plenty of 'cut the run short' routes home if needs be. Turns out, I should never doubt the physio and I felt reasonably good all the way round. Calf was absolutely fine which I was delighted about. Last few miles were among the fastest of the run with the overall session being 22.1 miles @ 8:46/mile (3:14 total). Very happy and a big confidence boost that I'll be able to finish anyway.

Plenty of foam rolling over the next few day and a few other bits and pieces from the physio will hopefully see me fully fit at the start line in a little over 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Can't add to the table :o Can someone please add me:
    4:27:38|3:59:59|May have missed too much training to pull it off :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

murphd77|4:02:26|3:45:00|Wish there was a 3:45 pacer. :)
    AlanM|3:44|3:29|Confidence back up a bit
    Runchick|4:27:38|3:59:59|May have missed too much training to pull it off :rolleyes:

I might be crap with excel but I love a good old table :D:D

Advertisement