Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good stuff Doco, looks like that goal will be a breeze. I see the future and myself and Blockic will be sending you ahead at 20 miles;) 3:27:xx no problem :)

Savage session Doco and +1 to the above, keep it very sensible for the first 3/4 and you will have plenty in the tank to kick on towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

dechol wrote: »
    Well I'm out! Back with physio today and been advised not to run with my knee. Getting sore on high mileage runs. I'm going to be sensible for once and take advice given. I can still run but he says the marathon could damage it further and could result in pain everytime I run. Not too disappointed as my training wasn't as great as I hoped. Missed a good few runs. I will be a very enthusiastic supporter this year instead!!

Sorry to hear that Dechol.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

User|Marathon PB|DCM Goal|Comments
    murphd77|4:02:26|3:45:00|Wish there was a 3:45 pacer. smile.png|
    overpronator|3.36.xx Limerick 2013|3.29.xx|Have no idea how this is gonna go
    AlanM|3:44|3:29|Confidence back up a bit
    Runchick|4:27:38|3:59:59|May have missed too much training to pull it off rolleyes.png
    Tenreds|3:43|3:29:59|Happy with my training|
    Deedee2012|4.56|4.30|
    Willie42|4:29|3:59|really happy with training just not sure!|
    docjewel|3:43|3:39:59|After the disaster of Cork earlier this year,only looking for a modest gainwink.png & an enjoyable day out|
    RedRunner|4:27:36|3:59:59|In the same boat as Runchick, but sure better to fail trying than fail to try|
    dechol| 4:57:xx |4:30:00||
    Doco12|3.34| 3:29:xx| Very happy with training, hope goes to plan on day

Good stuff Doco, looks like that goal will be a breeze. I see the future and myself and Blockic will be sending you ahead at 20 miles;) 3:27:xx no problem :)

Make sure to come back and collect me once ye've sent Doco on her way. Cheers !

By the way can someone add me to the table too please. . Pb 3.43 goal time 3.29.59. There now ive said it albeit after a few pints of guiness!! No time for recovery run this evening so concentrating on nutrition !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Got the midweek session done - 14m at MP. Lovely cool night, which helped. Target was 8:32 per mile.

7:48 8:40 8:55 8:43 8:30 8:30 8:30 9:09 7:56 8:30 8:38 8:26 8:20 8:27
    Average: 8:30
    Average HR: 159 (75%)

So much for starting out slow. The 9min mile was up Carrickbrack Rd in Howth so good to get a hill in. Delighted with HR which seems to be coming down quite a bit lately, possibly due to cooler weather? (Or of course it could just be that the Garmin is a sh1t HRM).

Runchick|4:27:38|3:59:59|May have missed too much training to pull it off rolleyes.png
    Deedee2012|4.56|4.30|
    docjewel|3:43|3:39:59|After the disaster of Cork earlier this year,only looking for a modest gainwink.png & an enjoyable day out|
    RedRunner|4:27:36|3:59:59|In the same boat as Runchick, but sure better to fail trying than fail to try|
    tomred1N|3:43:xx|3:29:59|There, I've said it, albeit after a few pints of Guinness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Well I'm out! Back with physio today and been advised not to run with my knee. Getting sore on high mileage runs. I'm going to be sensible for once and take advice given. I can still run but he says the marathon could damage it further and could result in pain everytime I run. Not too disappointed as my training wasn't as great as I hoped. Missed a good few runs. I will be a very enthusiastic supporter this year instead!!

That's bad news but better to be right and be fit to run another day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sorry to hear. Smart move to live to fight another day. Everyone knows though that all the cool people do spring marathons :cool: just saying plenty of time to shop around for a decent marathon target come Mar/Apr:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

murphd77 wrote: »
    Got the midweek session done - 14m at MP. Lovely cool night, which helped. Target was 8:32 per mile.

7:48 8:40 8:55 8:43 8:30 8:30 8:30 9:09 7:56 8:30 8:38 8:26 8:20 8:27
    Average: 8:30
    Average HR: 159 (75%)

So much for starting out slow. The 9min mile was up Carrickbrack Rd in Howth so good to get a hill in. Delighted with HR which seems to be coming down quite a bit lately, possibly due to cooler weather? (Or of course it could just be that the Garmin is a sh1t HRM).

Could I have seen you? I was out in that direction last night too - did 12 miles, and included the hill at Shielmartin Road, passed some one heading out towards Howth just past the Marine (moving quite briskly!) at around 7.30?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Could I have seen you? I was out in that direction last night too - did 12 miles, and included the hill at Shielmartin Road, passed some one heading out towards Howth just past the Marine (moving quite briskly!) at around 7.30?

Passed that spot alright but it was more like 9pm, so wasn't me. Besides, the "moving quite briskly" bit sounds like someone else! :) But I do a lot of my training between Fairview and Howth so no doubt we've passed each other at some point.

HelenAnne wrote: »

I spotted you at Sutton Cross Helen :) I was going quite briskly but I was in my car though on the way to pick up the young lad from football training. You were ticking along nicely in your unmistakable style;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

RedRunner wrote: »
    I spotted you at Sutton Cross Helen :) I was going quite briskly but I was in my car though on the way to pick up the young lad from football training. You were ticking along nicely in your unmistakable style;).

No matter how much I run I can't seem to lose my 'distinctive' style. Oh well, we all have our crosses to bear! I was adding to my unusual appearance by wearing compression knee-socks, you may have noticed.

thanks for not saying I was staggering along exhausted or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

ecoli wrote: »
    Sorry to hear. Smart move to live to fight another day. Everyone knows though that all the cool people do spring marathons :cool: just saying plenty of time to shop around for a decent marathon target come Mar/Apr:D

Don't be putting ideas in my head!;) Actually I have really reduced my times from last year but am still very slow. Think I will concentrate on building up my core strength and speed first. I want to be running in years to come so not willing to sacrifice that for one race .There will lots of marathons to come for me I hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Think I will concentrate on building up my core strength and speed first

This is in fact what all the cool people are doing ;)

Deedee2012|4.56|4.30|
    RedRunner|4:27:10|3:59:59|In the same boat as Runchick, but sure better to fail trying than fail to try|
    tomred1N|3:43:xx|3:29:59|There, I've said it, albeit after a few pints of Guinness!

had to edit my last years time. I double-checked and i was doing myself out of 26 seconds. It was eating me away inside. So just changed it there. feel so much better now. It's just my OCD kicking in:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

2 weeks, how did that happen :eek: Anyone got an idea of where's good for a feed of pasta in Dublin on the Sunday night? Also if any of you want to meet up for dinner maybe we could arrange a boards pasta party? This worked well in Limerick - was great to meet some boardsies before the race...or maybe I'm the only weirdo who doesn't mind having dinner with strangers from the internet ;)

Didn't think DCM would be as exciting this year but I can't bloody wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

I can't believe it's only two weeks either and definitely excited about this year too! :D Got mid week session in on Tuesday - 14 miles @MP (9:00MM). First six miles no problem then watch died so did last 7.5 (was dark so couldn't pass by house for last .5) to feel and judging on phone time was a little quicker than MP - enjoyed just running and not having watch to check. Did local 10K run today in 49.11 which was a PB for me - was afraid I wouldn't hold pace but it felt easier than I thought it would. My 2nd 10K this year and only 3rd race - thought I had done more for some reason.:eek: But at the end of the day eyes on the prize - training has gone well so positive mental attitude for the next two weeks and DCM 2013 here we come:):)

Runchick wrote: »
    2 weeks, how did that happen :eek: Anyone got an idea of where's good for a feed of pasta in Dublin on the Sunday night? Also if any of you want to meet up for dinner maybe we could arrange a boards pasta party? This worked well in Limerick - was great to meet some boardsies before the race...or maybe I'm the only weirdo who doesn't mind having dinner with strangers from the internet ;)

Didn't think DCM would be as exciting this year but I can't bloody wait :D

That sounds like a pretty cool idea or what about meeting at the expo and then go for a pasta lunch?

Last long run today: 20.02 miles @9:13 in 3hrs 4mins

Ran this with group from club. The really good thing about running with a group is they bring you along. The bad thing about running with a group is that they bring you along.:confused: Confused? what I mean is that I did this a little faster than originally planned. They were quite a few MP miles so it was definitely a great test and hopefully no fallout from it. Back is a little sore but hopefully the right stretching, ibuprofen and rest over next couple of days will sort it out.

Avg HR 129 ( I am happy with this)
    Max HR 153

First 10: 9:36,9:10,9:03,9:15,9:25,9:06,9:10,9:12,9:09,9:01
    Last 10: 9:06,9:13,9:00,8:57,9:03,9:07,9:17,9:21,9:26,9:51

So that's 20 with 11 at MP so really pleased with that and glad to have that under the belt now and hopefully next couple of weeks will look after the niggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Last long run today: 20.02 miles @9:13 in 3hrs 4mins

Ran this with group from club. The really good thing about running with a group is they bring you along. The bad thing about running with a group is that they bring you along.:confused: Confused? what I mean is that I did this a little faster than originally planned. They were quite a few MP miles so it was definitely a great test and hopefully no fallout from it. Back is a little sore but hopefully the right stretching, ibuprofen and rest over next couple of days will sort it out.

Avg HR 129 ( I am happy with this)
    Max HR 153

First 10: 9:36,9:10,9:03,9:15,9:25,9:06,9:10,9:12,9:09,9:01
    Last 10: 9:06,9:13,9:00,8:57,9:03,9:07,9:17,9:21,9:26,9:51

So that's 20 with 11 at MP so really pleased with that and glad to have that under the belt now and hopefully next couple of weeks will look after the niggles.

Not sure what to say about this. I think I'll hold my tongue :p;)

Not sure what to say about this. I think I'll hold my tongue :p;)

I know, I know..I was waiting for that;):D

• Advertisement

I know, I know..I was waiting for that;):D

TBH the very low HR and the speed of the miles probably shows that sub 4 is soft despite the training you missed. You are probaby in 3:50 shape; but I think the sensible this would still be to nail the sub 4. Go out at 4hr pace for the first 16 miles or so and you can pick it up a touch over the last 10 if feeling good at that point.

TBH the very low HR and the speed of the miles probably shows that sub 4 is soft despite the training you missed. You are probaby in 3:50 shape; but I think the sensible this would still be to nail the sub 4. Go out at 4hr pace for the first 16 miles or so and you can pick it up a touch over the last 10 if feeling good at that point.

You really think that? That's encouraging. Being sensible is not usually one of my strong points but I'll definitely be following that advice. Anything under 4 is now my "Gold Medal" target.

You really think that? That's encouraging. Being sensible is not usually one of my strong points but I'll definitely be following that advice. Anything under 4 is now my "Gold Medal" target.

Yeah definitely. The only isssue you might have is the legs (cramp etc) and the slower pace at the start should help alleviate that.
    Just a quick Q about todays run; the slower miles at the end: were they by design or necessity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great going RR, its there for your big time.

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 10 with 8 miles @MP |Recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|12 miles easy| 30-35 miles

Great work this weeks folks. Looks like several of you are in great shape to hit the targets; now it's just time to get to the startline fresh and sharp.
    This weeks we have definite signs of taper :D Resist the temptation to run wednesdays PMP miles at faster than PMP. Just because there are less PMP miles doesn't mean you should go out and race them!! It should feel nice and easy at this stage and that's how it is meant to be!!

Yeah definitely. The only isssue you might have is the legs (cramp etc) and the slower pace at the start should help alleviate that.
    Just a quick Q about todays run; the slower miles at the end: were they by design or necessity?

I was tiring, but I made a conscious decision to slow down in the last two miles as I felt my work was done and at that stage I was running solo. If I had to go faster I could have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Anyone any word how blockic doing? I can't seem find a tracking link? Here's hoping he's on target n going strong!

New runner wrote: »
    Anyone any word how blockic doing? I can't seem find a tracking link? Here's hoping he's on target n going strong!

Check out the Chicago thread on events, lots of live updates.
    At the moment he is through 30km on target for 2:57

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Thanks memo , got it, he's now through the 35k at 2.27! Brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Go Blocky go :D Pity it's not on tv here, be good to see.
    Cheers for posting plan Meno, weird to see only 30-35 miles to do this week, whatever will we do with all our free time? :) Did my 16 yest very easy, made it 50 for the week. 16 felt so short after the last few weeks mileage.
    So sorry to hear your out Dechol, best of luck with recovery.

Advertisement