Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

New runner wrote: »
    Anyone any word how blockic doing? I can't seem find a tracking link? Here's hoping he's on target n going strong!

Gave me a minor scare when the 40k split did not post but he smashed through 3 hours.

5k 20:41
    10k 41:41 (21:00 5k)
    15k 1:02:34 (20:53 5k)
    20k 1:23:55 (21:21 5k)
    Halfway 1:28:34
    25k 1:44:56 (21:01 5k)
    30k 2:05:54 (20:58 5k)
    35k 2:27:02 (21:08 5k)
    40k ?????????????

Finished 2:58:07

Delighted for him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Hey guys,

2nd Attempt at the old Dublin Marathon. Ran it last year in 4:16.

I've done my 20 miles in 3:12. I was still feeling fine after it and didn't have a break.

Half of me is saying try for the sub four and the other half is saying try for the 4:15.

Anyone have any ideas? Last year I tried to push myself for a 3:45 to ensure a 4 but ended burning out and hitting 4:16 so don't want to make that mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Noel have u raced a half recently?
    I'd say 4 hrs is def achievable, if I were u I'd take 1st half good wee bit slower, negative split def way to go! Even u feeling good at mile 5 I'd advise holding back little to half way when ull b delighted to still b feeling strong n push on from there gradually faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

RedRunner wrote: »
    That sounds like a pretty cool idea or what about meeting at the expo and then go for a pasta lunch?

Good idea we can organise a bit closer to the time then, probably easier to get a table somewhere earlier in the day...
    hey great LSR from you and niggles holding up, brilliant stuff :)
    Willie42 wrote: »
    I can't believe it's only two weeks either and definitely excited about this year too! :D Got mid week session in on Tuesday - 14 miles @MP (9:00MM). First six miles no problem then watch died so did last 7.5 (was dark so couldn't pass by house for last .5) to feel and judging on phone time was a little quicker than MP - enjoyed just running and not having watch to check. Did local 10K run today in 49.11 which was a PB for me - was afraid I wouldn't hold pace but it felt easier than I thought it would. My 2nd 10K this year and only 3rd race - thought I had done more for some reason.:eek: But at the end of the day eyes on the prize - training has gone well so positive mental attitude for the next two weeks and DCM 2013 here we come:):)

Well done on the 10k Willie42, nice wee confidence booster...couldn't agree more about the PMA for these 2 weeks, the physical work is done, now its all about getting the head in the right place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Runchick wrote: »
    Good idea we can organise a bit closer to the time then, probably easier to get a table somewhere earlier in the day...
    hey great LSR from you and niggles holding up, brilliant stuff :)

Well done on the 10k Willie42, nice wee confidence booster...couldn't agree more about the PMA for these 2 weeks, the physical work is done, now its all about getting the head in the right place :)
    Sounds like u all in great shape , jealous of u all, wish I was doing it :(
    However happy bunny tonight as did xcountry race today n finished 2nd for team n silver team medal so I'm happy with that, although I'm def not a XC fan. Give me the slower , longer stuff any day! Once again it's the breathing that gets me. Any how it's amazing how a bit of bling can make the pain worth it!
    Hope u all do brilliant in DCM and achieve your goals just as blockic did today!
    Was great tracking him today so maybe some of u could post your bib numbers before hand so we mortals not competing can track youse too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Big Logger

New runner wrote: »
    Sounds like u all in great shape , jealous of u all, wish I was doing it :(
    However happy bunny tonight as did xcountry race today n finished 2nd for team n silver team medal so I'm happy with that, although I'm def not a XC fan. Give me the slower , longer stuff any day! Once again it's the breathing that gets me. Any how it's amazing how a bit of bling can make the pain worth it!
    Hope u all do brilliant in DCM and achieve your goals just as blockic did today!
    Was great tracking him today so maybe some of u could post your bib numbers before hand so we mortals not competing can track youse too!

Great stuff New Runner, well done...doing it for the ladies ;)

Thinking about joining up to a running club but have a couple of questions for you guys and gals who are in one already.

Do you know of any clubs that train on a Sunday - Most seem to do a longer session on a Sat morning which I can't do with work commitments.

Secondly - at what standard would you realistically need to be at to join up and not stick out like a sore thumb. I'm on the comeback trail but at this point have built up to 10k runs at a slow pace (10/11 min mile slow :D) I did ask a rep of a club which will remain nameless about joining at that kind of level and was told that I could join the fit for life group which in that club was mainly female walkers. I've nothing against the fit for life concept but to be honest I do see that as akin to a group couch to 5k and would prefer to get myself into a group above this standard. I just don't know how far above that standard I need to be at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Thinking about joining up to a running club but have a couple of questions for you guys and gals who are in one already.

Do you know of any clubs that train on a Sunday - Most seem to do a longer session on a Sat morning which I can't do with work commitments.

Secondly - at what standard would you realistically need to be at to join up and not stick out like a sore thumb. I'm on the comeback trail but at this point have built up to 10k runs at a slow pace (10/11 min mile slow :D) I did ask a rep of a club which will remain nameless about joining at that kind of level and was told that I could join the fit for life group which in that club was mainly female walkers. I've nothing against the fit for life concept but to be honest I do see that as akin to a group couch to 5k and would prefer to get myself into a group above this standard. I just don't know how far above that standard I need to be at ?

I was about at that standard when I joined a club early last year. I was among the slowest there but got great encouragement from everyone. Has brought my running on no end, re the weekend training what tends to happen in our club is that little groups form for weekend long runs, based on pace and what day/time suits, managed to get all my long runs done this year with company. One of the best things I've ever done was join a club (despite being terrified in advance about being the slowcoach at the back) Go for it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    I was about at that standard when I joined a club early last year. I was among the slowest there but got great encouragement from everyone. Has brought my running on no end, re the weekend training what tends to happen in our club is that little groups form for weekend long runs, based on pace and what day/time suits, managed to get all my long runs done this year with company. One of the best things I've ever done was join a club (despite being terrified in advance about being the slowcoach at the back) Go for it :-)

Ours is similar, Sunday long runs that tend to break up into pace groups.

Also, re fit 4 life groups, I don't know why men don't want to join them (and why a club should have to remain nameless for suggesting PM join one :)) There are men who have come down to one or two training runs at our club, haven't been able to keep up, and haven't come back, but they don't seem to want to join the Fit 4 Lifers. A lot of our Fit 4 Life group would run under 25 mins for 5k, under 50 for 10k etc and have done 1/2 marathons etc; there are men in the club who run at a slower pace, but they won't run with the Fit 4 Life group so they end up training alone. If a few men would just bite the bullet and join the group then they'd have safety in numbers and wouldn't be stuck with just women (if that's what they don't like).

I definitely credit our Fit 4 Life group with keeping me running - just the company & knowing there were people there every week to run with helped me to keep it up and improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

HelenAnne wrote: »

Also, re fit 4 life groups, I don't know why men don't want to join them (and why a club should have to remain nameless for suggesting PM join one :)) There are men who have come down to one or two training runs at our club, haven't been able to keep up, and haven't come back, but they don't seem to want to join the Fit 4 Lifers. A lot of our Fit 4 Life group would run under 25 mins for 5k, under 50 for 10k etc and have done 1/2 marathons etc; there are men in the club who run at a slower pace, but they won't run with the Fit 4 Life group so they end up training alone. If a few men would just bite the bullet and join the group then they'd have safety in numbers and wouldn't be stuck with just women (if that's what they don't like).

I definitely credit our Fit 4 Life group with keeping me running - just the company & knowing there were people there every week to run with helped me to keep it up and improve.

+1, the fit for Life group in my club would have lots of runners breaking 2hrs for a HM for example. Within the group there are several different levels.

When a runner gets too fast for the Fit For Life group they are encouraged to join one of the other groups. I'd imagine it is the same in other clubs too...

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »

The nameless part was because of the attitude of that person to fit 4 life which it seems may be indicative of a more widespread issue. Basically the gist of the advice was you would be able for the fit 4 life group but wouldn't fit in as it's all women. If the men who are at that standard are being discouraged from joining in because it's mainly women then it's a kind of vicious circle where as you say men don't appear to see it as an option for them yet the standard within the group would be more than appropriate. I'm sure that wouldn't be the official club stance hence not naming it but nonetheless it did put me off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm sure that wouldn't be the official club stance hence not naming it but nonetheless it did put me off completely.

Perhaps the individual misrepresented his/her club's attitude to the FFL concept, or perhaps you misunderstood? From what others have posted here it seems to represent exactly what you need. I'm sure there's a club out there with a suitable attitude to runners of your pace. You certainly see plenty of 10-min-mile club singlets at the Race Series and other events.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Perhaps the individual misrepresented his/her club's attitude to the FFL concept, or perhaps you misunderstood? From what others have posted here it seems to represent exactly what you need. I'm sure there's a club out there with a suitable attitude to runners of your pace. You certainly see plenty of 10-min-mile club singlets at the Race Series and other events.

He was clear enough as in "but you don't want to be running around with a pack of auld ones" clear.

I'd be quite happy to join up to a group that was at that pace and progress from there if there was a suitable group for me. If not then I'd improve the times solo and then join up after. Am in Blanchardstown area if anyone has any pointers for me. :)

Yes, but my point is that perhaps he was being unnecessarily disparaging of those so-called "auld ones". I'm happy to run with anyone who runs at my pace, regardless of age, gender, class, ethnicity or marital status. :)

Yes, but my point is that perhaps he was being unnecessarily disparaging of those so-called "auld ones". I'm happy to run with anyone who runs at my pace, regardless of age, gender, class, ethnicity or marital status. :)

:D Equal opportunities Murph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I'm in similar(ish) position, I've been running for the past 2 years or so, "seriously" for the past 8 months. I am hoping to get under 3:40 in this year's DCM which will indicate the kind if level I am at.
    I AM joining a club once the marathon is over and I already regret not doing so earlier!

I really hate when this happens.

I've entered a 5k race in a few weeks to give myself something to aim at. Went off on a test myself run. Plan was to do a little warm up then 2-3k at pace to see where the land lay. It went surpisingly well. Threw out 3k at approx 5:50km pace - much faster pace than normal and was able to hold it - then 1k back at usual 6:45km slow pace (acknowledging of course that my fast pace would still be slow :D) before giving it a bit of a burst for the last couple of hundred metres home.

Got back home all happy with myself - plugged the watch in to upload to strava sure that I would be smashing PB's all over the local segments and the watch didn't save the file for the run. :mad::mad::mad: Ah well - will just have to go out and do it again in a few days. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I really hate when this happens.

I've entered a 5k race in a few weeks to give myself something to aim at. Went off on a test myself run. Plan was to do a little warm up then 2-3k at pace to see where the land lay. It went surpisingly well. Threw out 3k at approx 5:50km pace - much faster pace than normal and was able to hold it - then 1k back at usual 6:45km slow pace (acknowledging of course that my fast pace would still be slow :D) before giving it a bit of a burst for the last couple of hundred metres home.

Got back home all happy with myself - plugged the watch in to upload to strava sure that I would be smashing PB's all over the local segments and the watch didn't save the file for the run. :mad::mad::mad: Ah well - will just have to go out and do it again in a few days. :o

Well look on the bright side, at least you didn't get injured, which given your history....

Well look on the bright side, at least you didn't get injured, which given your history....

:D We will see tomorrow ! ;)

All feels good though. Was nice to stretch it out a bit without feeling any ill effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Speaking of injuries....

Yes,believe it or not, if you haven't been following my training log, ole Red here has picked up yet ANOTHER injury!

After LSR on Sunday I developed some knee pain. Been to physio today and it looks like its not serious and treatable so he is optimistic for 28th but no running for me now until at least the weekend.
    Went to town on my quads and itb and more painful massage scheduled for Friday.

If I manage to make it to McGrattans , someone may have to hold my pint for me in case I get injured doing that.

• Advertisement

Horrible session tonight, felt really awful. Managed the 8 miles @ MP but it was uncomfortable, difficult and no fun at all. Oh well, they can't all be like last week's...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Me too Murph, managed 8 miles @MP but wasn't feeling the love either;) Breathing fine - legs tired. Went out on Tuesday as was working late yesterday and was dreading it as am busy in work and wrecked this week so all that junk in the head didn't help!

menoscemo wrote: »
    There should be a confirmed list about a week before the race and I'll ask the boss if we can post a full list of pacers here then...

Given that the boss has posted this in the main forum; I guess I can take it as my queue to post it up here now...
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    List of pacers is below, most of them are from these parts. This is subject to change on the day (so for instance any ultraman groupies be prepared to move up or down a band)

You'll see big flags at the start with the time on them, position yourself around the relevant time band. Pacers will run steady splits throughout, aiming to finish <30 secs before time goal.

3:00
    KielyUnusual
    Abhainn
    Robert W

3:10
    TFBubendorfer
    Torben S
    Martin R

3:20
    BeepBeep67
    Grellan
    Jackyback

3:30
    blockic
    ray lanigan
    KillerZ

3:40
    CorkRunning
    Caprica
    Menoscemo

3:50
    mathso
    ankers99
    melia39

4:00
    Oisin11178
    40whit
    MarthaStew

4:10
    runningcoach
    David G
    digger2d2

4:20
    izoard
    Keamorehill
    Kurt Godel

4:30
    ultraman1
    Breffni Blue
    kandikane

4:40
    charlie933
    66_Lad
    Aimman

4:50
    ger664
    PaulieC
    tHe vAGGABOND

5:00
    jonny99
    Moneystealer1
    Gijima

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Very quiet around here these days. Did my 8MP session last night, like what Willie and Murph said legs did feel heavy. Going to do my 12easy in the morning. Once I've that done that will have me up to 32 for the week. Over four runs. Might do three miles Sunday to make it the five runs, or is it fair to say it won't matter either way if I do or don't? :)

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Very quiet around here these days. Did my 8MP session last night, like what Willie and Murph said legs did feel heavy. Going to do my 12easy in the morning. Once I've that done that will have me up to 32 for the week. Over four runs. Might do three miles Sunday to make it the five runs, or is it fair to say it won't matter either way if I do or don't? :)

I doubt it will matter either way. A 3 mile recovery run is almost like a pleasure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

DOCO12 wrote: »

Same here did 9 @7.55 pace last night and didnt feel as easy as i would have liked. Better than wed night though when I tried it first but called halt after 3 miles as I was wrecked from 3 long days at work. Top it all I clicked a rib out of place this morning just twisting when I got up. Been to physio and she clicked it back in place but still stiff and sore. Is the reason for the 12 on sunday so you deplete gylcogen levels week prior to marathon so then you build then up fully from empty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

+1on the session, did 9 at about 7.45 pace around the phoenix park yesterday and it was definitely a tougher effort than the 14 last week, it was a pretty muggy afternoon yesterday though. Not too concerned anyway because in the other two marathons I've done by this stage I've been held together with sticky tape with very little running it the the weeks leading up to the day so I'm very grateful that I'm alright shape 10 or so days out.

I don't know whether to be happy or sad that we all seem to be having a tough week. Hopefully it's all part of the plan - what do you think, meno?

I don't know whether to be happy or sad that we all seem to be having a tough week. Hopefully it's all part of the plan - what do you think, meno?

I think it is pretty normal at this stage. I normally feel crap a few weeks out and I am Pretty sure c_m was having this at the same stage in the build up to Limerick. If all goes according to plan; you will start to feel full of energy come Friday/Saturday next week :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Cheers Meno sounds about right, last longish run done this morning, its in the lap of the gods now. The only thing I can do is make sure I enjoy the day whatever happens.

Advertisement