Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think it is pretty normal at this stage. I normally feel crap a few weeks out and I am Pretty sure c_m was having this at the same stage in the build up to Limerick. If all goes according to plan; you will start to feel full of energy come Friday/Saturday next week :cool:

I'm pretty sure I was feeling wonderful :P

...... but I have a short memory so I may be mistaken :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Did 4 miles today around st Anne's park mostly on grass. Although the knee was ok for the most part, it jarred a few times and I was in pain for about ten seconds each time and then it eased off and would be fine until it happened the next time.

I'm worried about this tbh and although I'll defer my decision until after the physio on Tuesday my gut is telling me the knee is not right. 2013 could just be unlucky for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

RedRunner wrote: »
    Did 4 miles today around st Anne's park mostly on grass. Although the knee was ok for the most part, it jarred a few times and I was in pain for about ten seconds each time and then it eased off and would be fine until it happened the next time.

I'm worried about this tbh and although I'll defer my decision until after the physio on Tuesday my gut is telling me the knee is not right. 2013 could just be unlucky for me. :(

Sorry to hear the knee is still at you Redrunner. Fingers crossed for you that it will improve and best of luck with Physio Tues.

Did my long run this morn, just over 11 miles. I calculated the distance wrong, usually if I do I make up the distance by passing my house until I hit the target but today I said Id be a rebel and finish up slightly short :) on the topic of feeling sluggish, I def think allot of this is the demons in our heads. It's times like this I wish I'd my own training log so I could refer to the week before Dcm last year and see what I was saying. For my third marathon I'll start a log :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

Fair annoyed today - everything going according to plan till last week - did a 10m last sat and got what's best described as a spasm like sensations that came on at 8m in my 'rear' im presuming it was glute related but got so intense I had to stop.Lots of foam rolling over the past week (I did ring the physio on Monday and the advice was leave it for a few days,stretch etc and then see if it improves,it felt great yesterday so a 6m was on the menu) 3 miles out and the same again - pain building up slowly and then a real intense pain - now its time to get in to the physio ASAP as I feel its something more....I'm trying to stay positive though!!!! (& hoping its something that he can 'fix' even if I have to go through pain.)
    Has anyone experienced this - I was going to say its hip releated but in reality I think its 'rear end' related (sounds funny to those 'non runners')

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well let me be the first to day that sounds like a right pain in the arse, Southman, but hopefully nothing too serious. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

SouthMan wrote: »
    Fair annoyed today - everything going according to plan till last week - did a 10m last sat and got what's best described as a spasm like sensations that came on at 8m in my 'rear' im presuming it was glute related but got so intense I had to stop.Lots of foam rolling over the past week (I did ring the physio on Monday and the advice was leave it for a few days,stretch etc and then see if it improves,it felt great yesterday so a 6m was on the menu) 3 miles out and the same again - pain building up slowly and then a real intense pain - now its time to get in to the physio ASAP as I feel its something more....I'm trying to stay positive though!!!! (& hoping its something that he can 'fix' even if I have to go through pain.)
    Has anyone experienced this - I was going to say its hip releated but in reality I think its 'rear end' related (sounds funny to those 'non runners')

I have had something similar for ages. I was able to run through it for the most part but spent hundreds on Physios, even MRI's never really getting a solution.
    Turns out it was all down to lower back tightness. It seems like back, hip, ITB etc are all linked. If I were you I'd go to a good Physical therapist rather than physiotherapist (the latter will likely just diagnose weak glutes and have you do a strengthening regime).

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 5 with 3 miles @MP |Recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|easy| 15-20 miles

So all the hard work is done and this week is all about getting to the startline fresh and ready to go.
    Try to keep your same routine in terms of number of running days, just cut right back on the distance of the runs. Do lots of little 2-3 mile runs!!
    The Wednesday 5 mile should be the longest you run and the 3 @ PMP should be the fastest.
    I personally would always have a 2-3 mile easy run the day before a marathon as it is little more than a leg loosener; but you should know what works best for yourself so go with what you know to work.

Keep your normal diet for the week and the fact that you are running less should mean you are loading up with Glycogen as a result. Over the weekend make sure you are getting in plenty of carbs and water but no need to overdo anything!! Maybe on Sunday just cut back on the meat for dinner and have an extra portion of potato/rice/pasta/bread (i.e. whatever you are used to). With that you should be all loaded and ready to go on monday with a pair of fresh legs to boot.

Hopefully catch up with you all in McGrattans after the race....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    Easy/rest| Easy/rest| 5 with 3 miles @MP |Recovery |Easy/rest| Easy/rest|easy| 15-20 miles

So all the hard work is done and this week is all about getting to the startline fresh and ready to go.
    Try to keep your same routine in terms of number of running days, just cut right back on the distance of the runs. Do lots of little 2-3 mile runs!!
    The Wednesday 5 mile should be the longest you run and the 3 @ PMP should be the fastest.
    I personally would always have a 2-3 mile easy run the day before a marathon as it is little more than a leg loosener; but you should know what works best for yourself so go with what you know to work.

Keep your normal diet for the week and the fact that you are running less should mean you are loading up with Glycogen as a result. Over the weekend make sure you are getting in plenty of carbs and water but no need to overdo anything!! Maybe on Sunday just cut back on the meat for dinner and have an extra portion of potato/rice/pasta/bread (i.e. whatever you are used to). With that you should be all loaded and ready to go on monday with a pair of fresh legs to boot.

Hopefully catch up with you all in McGrattans after the race....

Great minds think alike I just sent something pretty similar to this to my athletes running Dublin

The only thing I would add is try to steer clear of Red meats next weekend and try stick to your fish and chicken if possible. Red meat takes significantly longer to digest in comparison to white meats and as such can sometimes create stomach problems on the day or divert energy usage towards digesting these on race day.

There are some conflicting reports on this and recent paleo advocates tend to view this as propoganda however why leave anything to chance come race day

ecoli wrote: »
    Great minds think alike I just sent something pretty similar to this to my athletes running Dublin

The only thing I would add is try to steer clear of Red meats next weekend and try stick to your fish and chicken if possible. Red meat takes significantly longer to digest in comparison to white meats and as such can sometimes create stomach problems on the day or divert energy usage towards digesting these on race day.

There are some conflicting reports on this and recent paleo advocates tend to view this as propoganda however why leave anything to chance come race day

I'd say you are probably right; but I have often ignored my own advice and had steak the night before a marathon :pac: It never actually did me any harm though but yeah, chicken or fish are a good option.

I'd tend towards eating very little protein of any variety the day before the race; just extra carbs (while keeping to your normal calories for the day so as not to be bloated).

The last Sunday of eagerly waiting for Meno's plan for the week , kinda sad :( But oh so excited, hope the next week flies I can't wait to be on the start line! Hoping the temps are cooler come next Monday as its so humid.
    Meno thank you so much for all the advice over the past few months it has been invaluable. Hope to put faces to some of the names on the big day. And will def try to make the pub after. :D

Best of luck with the glute southman, fingers crossed its only a niggle.

• Advertisement

+1

It's been a great plan meno, hope we can do it justice. Thanks and hope to see you again on the day. Will definitely be in McGrattans after.

By the way, I will be wearing the Boards shirt on the day. Anyone else? We all bought them but you rarely see 'em. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Same here Meno thanks for brilliant plans every week looking forward to doing it justice next week. Enjoyed every session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Big thanks to Meno for taking the time to help this group out, the advice and sessions have been great its its really very much appreciated, hopefully we can all do ourselves and the training justice next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Hopefully catch up with you all in McGrattans after the race.... & collect all those free pints everybody has been promising me since last year:D:D:D:D

+1 to all the thanks to meno,have really enjoyed this plan so far.

Last week was a really busy week for me,but that has helped nicely with the tapering,been very little free time to think about running.
    Had last rub down with physio last Friday,legs appear to be in good nick.
    Went out for a small 3mile run earlier,its more a case of trying to hold the pace back,Roll on next Monday:)

+1 to all the comments above Meno. If I dont make the start line for DCM then i will defo use that plan for London 2014 and i'll owe you two pints in the Coal Hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

+1 to all the comments above Meno. If I dont make the start line for DCM then i will defo use that plan for London 2014 and i'll owe you two pints in the Coal Hole!

Another big thank you to meno for the support and brilliant plan. I'm out unfortunately but have no doubt there will be great results from this group. I'll be there cheering you all on from the sidelines anyway and hopefully make it to the pub to hear all the success stories :D Guys when things get tough in the last few miles remember how lucky you are to be running and dig in to get the result you deserve...best of luck everyone :D

Ah no, not another one down. Our little group is getting smaller by the day. But sounds like the right decision, Runchick. Do try to make it to the pub at least, if you're going to be in town anyway.

Runchick wrote: »
    Guys when things get tough in the last few miles remember how lucky you are to be running and dig in to get the result you deserve...best of luck everyone :D

So sorry to be losing some of our gang. Will def keep those words in mind Runchick when the going gets tough! Hope Redrunner comes back with some good news from Physio!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

remember how lucky you are to be running and dig in to get the result you deserve...best of luck everyone :D[/quote]

+1 would love to be running too. Best of luck to all who have made it to start line. I will be cheering u all on near KCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

dechol wrote: »
    +1 would love to be running too. Best of luck to all who have made it to start line. I will be cheering u all on near KCR.

Likewise - will be just down the road from you too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Seems like half of the group are going to be on the sidelines cheering the other half on. Don't know if that's a :) or :(

Going with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'll be on my bike. I may even make it to McGrattans!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I'd forgotten the annoyance and joys of a late run.

The day went away from me again but I had set myself up for an easy run tonight. Was frustrated and moody getting ready, questioned my sanity on many occasions on the way out the door but once out thoroughly enjoyed myself. Went out at a much slowed down gentle pace for the first 4km but was bored and restless so I decided to open it up a bit for 1km before slowing back down to take it home.

Felt like:

18_20100805022513664.jpg

but it wasn't too bad - was reasonably comfortable and could have been taken up a notch with a bit more effort. A look at the watch data afterwards shows it only 5 seconds off an unofficial PB for 1km.

I'm a bit bemused to be honest. I'm beginning to think that all the slow paced runs on the HH program training for DCM last year got me into a habit of running slower than I am actually capable of. Looking forward to mixing it up a bit pace wise now over the next few months and the improvements that will make.

Does that make any sense at all or am I talking ****e :D

Another one bites the dust...

I'm out folks, the knee is just not right so decided not to risk it and hold out for London 2014 instead. I really hope you all achieve your goals for DCM and hopefully we'll meet up soon at some race/event over the next while.

I may be in town on Monday, just not sure at moment if that would be too painful (emotionally) but if I am , I'll try drop into McGrattans to say hello.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement over my injury-filled last couple of months .Each training cycle is a learning experience in itself and the advice on here and shared experiences have been very valuable this time round as ever despite not making the start line this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I'm out folks, the knee is just not right so decided not to risk it and hold out for London 2014 instead. I really hope you all achieve your goals for DCM and hopefully we'll meet up soon at some race/event over the next while.

I may be in town on Monday, just not sure at moment if that would be too painful (emotionally) but if I am , I'll try drop into McGrattans to say hello.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement over my injury-filled last couple of months .Each training cycle is a learning experience in itself and the advice on here and shared experiences have been very valuable this time round as ever despite not making the start line this year.

That's bad luck at this stage after all the work you've done.

See you in London!

I'm out folks.

Jeez, not another one. I know how disappointed I would feel if it was me so all I will say is recover well and look after the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Another one, could we be jinxed possibly!? Sorry to hear it RR but that base won't go to waste I'm sure, London will be amazing.

I think we need another roll call!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Crikey, a lot of bad news around here in the last 24hrs. Hopefully there'll be no more, fingers crossed.

So sorry to hear your out too Redrunner, injuries suck. Don't know what else to say to those of you who have to drop out. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

So sorry to hear that u out too Redrunner, so disappointing after all the hard work, here's to a speedy recovery n all the training will still stand to u.

Advertisement