Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tom francy

[=blockic;87186470]User|Marathon PB|DCM Goal|Comments
    murphd77|4:02:26|3:45:00|Wish there was a 3:45 pacer. smile.png|
    overpronator|3.36.xx Limerick 2013|3.29.xx|Have no idea how this is gonna go
    AlanM|3:44|3:29|Confidence back up a bit
    Runchick|4:27:38|3:59:59|May have missed too much training to pull it off rolleyes.png
    Tenreds|3:43|3:29:59|Happy with my training|
    Deedee2012|4.56|4.30|
    Willie42|4:29|3:59|really happy with training just not sure!|
    docjewel|3:43|3:39:59|After the disaster of Cork earlier this year,only looking for a modest gainwink.png & an enjoyable day out|
    RedRunner|4:27:10|3:59:59|In the same boat as Runchick, but sure better to fail trying than fail to try|
    dechol| 4:57:xx |4:30:00||
    Doco12|3.34| 3:29:xx| Very happy with training, hope goes to plan on day
    tomred1N|3:43:xx|3:29:59|There, I've said it, albeit after a few pints of Guinness!
    kerrylad1|3:21.xx Limerick 2013|3:18:xx|
    bigslice|3:40:15|3:29:59|I hate the wind
    Gavlor|3:01|2:58:08|I was really good this time and done proper miles that I was too stubborn to do last time
    tom francy|3.45|3.29|Please don't be windy

:D[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

User|Marathon PB|DCM Goal|Comments
    murphd77|4:02:26|3:45:00|Wish there was a 3:45 pacer. smile.png|
    overpronator|3.36.xx Limerick 2013|3.29.xx|Have no idea how this is gonna go
    AlanM|3:44|3:29|Confidence back up a bit
    Runchick|4:27:38|3:59:59|May have missed too much training to pull it off rolleyes.png
    Tenreds|3:43|3:29:59|Happy with my training|
    Deedee2012|4.56|4.30|
    Willie42|4:29|3:59|really happy with training just not sure!|
    docjewel|3:43|3:39:59|After the disaster of Cork earlier this year,only looking for a modest gainwink.png & an enjoyable day out|
    RedRunner|4:27:10|3:59:59|In the same boat as Runchick, but sure better to fail trying than fail to try|
    dechol| 4:57:xx |4:30:00||
    Doco12|3.34| 3:29:xx| Very happy with training, hope goes to plan on day
    tomred1N|3:43:xx|3:29:59|There, I've said it, albeit after a few pints of Guinness!
    kerrylad1|3:21.xx Limerick 2013|3:18:xx|

Sorted. How has training gone Kerrylad1? You been racing much? best of luck !
    Thanks for adding me O.P.Ya Training has gone great.I pretty much followed meno's log down to a tee.Think I only missed 1 run last week due to work.I haven't done any races since limerick marathon in may.To be honest I only ever ran one 10k before Dublin marathon last year.How about yourself?O.P ,at least it wont be as warm as limerick was in may

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great stuff, you'll be in the shape to hit that target anyway kerrylad. I think the bit of sun that day in Limerick put me off the place for life!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Anyone else waiting on the RTE weather forecast on 9'o clock news?
    Thanks for all the feedback re the 3.30 group. True point I prob won't be looking for water after 3 miles , may carry my own bottle as u suggested meno and can ways throw away if it annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SouthMan

count me in too - looks like a tight glute problem so trip to physio hopefully sorted that and my bags are packed.

3rd Marathon,PB Limerick 4.07 xx - DCM Goal 3.59 xx (could santa actually arrive early)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck to my fellow classmates on Monday! ;) Main thing is to have fun. You have done all the work, this is the celebration!!

For those in the 3:30 group, see ye Monday morning and be sure to come up to me! It's gonna be fun!

I'm gonna be in the pacer stand tomorrow 11-1 to so if any of you are around then call over to keep me occupied! :)

And don't forget McGrattans afterwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Hope to be group in the second half,might be a bit mad at the start with all the people aiming for 3:30,and I like to start a bit slower :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Best of luck to u all on Monday, really wish I was doing it too, excited for u all n hope u all achieve your desired outcome. Trust in your training n enjoy every min. Looking forward to reading all the race reports. Good luck folks, go reap your just rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

blockic wrote: »
    You have done all the work, this is the celebration!!

For those in the 3:30 group, see ye Monday morning and be sure to come up to me! It's gonna be fun!

Cheers Blocky, I'm loving this is the celebration quote:D Another to remember for Mon. I'll def try get past all your groupies and say hi. What time will the pacers be lining up? As for fellow boardies how will we spot each other? Secret nod etc? :) I remember chatting to a guy last year at the start and he hadn't a clue what I was on about when I asked him was he on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Cheers Blocky, I'm loving this is the celebration quote:D Another to remember for Mon. I'll def try get past all your groupies and say hi. What time will the pacers be lining up? As for fellow boardies how will we spot each other? Secret nod etc? :) I remember chatting to a guy last year at the start and he hadn't a clue what I was on about when I asked him was he on boards.

There'll be 3 x 3:30 pacers. Blocky is the one that looks like he just made his confirmation ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

DOCO12 wrote: »
    [ As for fellow boardies how will we spot each other? Secret nod etc? :) I remember chatting to a guy last year at the start and he hadn't a clue what I was on about when I asked him was he on boards.

I know what you mean!
    At the pacer stall today I couldn't bring myself around to using any of those weird boardsie names, I can't even pronounce some of them!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

New runner wrote: »
    Best of luck to u all on Monday, really wish I was doing it too, excited for u all n hope u all achieve your desired outcome. Trust in your training n enjoy every min. Looking forward to reading all the race reports. Good luck folks, go reap your just rewards.

+1 to this.

So jealous. Looks like I'll be stewarding now instead so I'll look out for those of you I know to see. Should be somewhere in miles 1-4 don't know where exactly yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

What's the general strategy for dealing with the wind tomorrow if it comes ?

Was out on a LSR this morning on an out and back course and was nearly blown to a standstill on the way back in. Obviously required a much greater effort on way back for a slower pace too. Would the thought process be to run slower into and faster out of the wind or maintain pace and let the effort fluctuate ? or a bit of both !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

What's the general strategy for dealing with the wind tomorrow if it comes ?

Was out on a LSR this morning on an out and back course and was nearly blown to a standstill on the way back in. Obviously required a much greater effort on way back for a slower pace too. Would the thought process be to run slower into and faster out of the wind or maintain pace and let the effort fluctuate ? or a bit of both !

You don't overthink it. Take what the day gives you and adapt accordingly. If you are well trained you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

I'd imagine tucking in behind someone or better still, a group, will help . Really hope weather doesn't b too bad for u all. Plenty Vaseline will def b required. Good luck folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Best of luck to everyone here tomorrow. Some great training here and hopefully you'll get your rewards tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck all, let's get it done!

Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday| Thursday| Friday| Saturday| Sunday| Total Mileage
    26.2 @ PMP| rest| rest |rest |rest| rest|rest| 26 miles

Best of luck everyone. Looking forward to the reports already.

Looks like the worst of the weather predictions are now behind us but there will likely be a decent/strong westerly breeze. If that's the case miles 2-6 and miles 11-14 (including the drag up crumlin rd) will be into the wind. Miles 14-20 (the flattest/ fastest part of the course) will be downwind.

So the message more than ever is to take the first half easy and push on from there. A pace group really could be the place to be tomorrow especially for the 'into the wind parts' in the first half. I would tend to tuck in even if the pace group is a touch too slow for your target. The amount of energy you save could far outweigh the few minutes you might gain pushing into the wind on your own. The second half should give you ample opportunity to pick up any time lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Have been considering this. If I join 4:50 pace group I'd have to drop back to wave 2 but this will be permitted, right? Then I could push on in 2nd half if I feel ok.

menoscemo wrote: »

I might have picked a bad week to rejoin the group plan :D :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Best of luck everyone. Looking forward to the reports already.

Looks like the worst of the weather predictions are now behind us but there will likely be a decent/strong westerly breeze. If that's the case miles 2-6 and miles 11-14 (including the drag up crumlin rd) will be into the wind. Miles 14-20 (the flattest/ fastest part of the course) will be downwind.

So the message more than ever is to take the first half easy and push on from there. A pace group really could be the place to be tomorrow especially for the 'into the wind parts' in the first half. I would tend to tuck in even if the pace group is a touch too slow for your target. The amount of energy you save could far outweigh the few minutes you might gain pushing into the wind on your own. The second half should give you ample opportunity to pick up any time lost.

Meno, interesting advice - would you recommend adopting this even if there was a 5 minute variance (so more than "a touch slower") between target & a pace group - e.g 3.15 versus running with the 3.20 group. Seems like a lot of catching up to do. Having not done a crowded one before, how sparse/dense are the crowds outside the pace groups? Would there be enough bodies running around 3.15 pace to tuck in with, you reckon?

statss wrote: »
    Meno, interesting advice - would you recommend adopting this even if there was a 5 minute variance (so more than "a touch slower") between target & a pace group - e.g 3.15 versus running with the 3.20 group. Seems like a lot of catching up to do. Having not done a crowded one before, how sparse/dense are the crowds outside the pace groups? Would there be enough bodies running around 3.15 pace to tuck in with, you reckon?

Yeah there probably would be enough bodies so that you could tuck in. There will likely be little groups forming themselves, but outside of pacegroups you might be expected to do a little of the 'work' into the wind. I'd say tomorrow is a day for a negative split if ever there was one. I'd Imagine that 98/97, maybe even 98:30/96:30 is the way to go for you.
    Whether you should go out with the 3:20 group is up to you but you would have to be comfortable with running a 1:35 second half if so....

murphd77 wrote: »
    Have been considering this. If I join 4:50 pace group I'd have to drop back to wave 2 but this will be permitted, right? Then I could push on in 2nd half if I feel ok.

I assume 3:50? Yeah you can drop back a wave no questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Yeah there probably would be enough bodies so that you could tuck in. There will likely be little groups forming themselves, but outside of pacegroups you might be expected to do a little of the 'work' into the wind. I'd say tomorrow is a day for a negative split if ever there was one. I'd Imagine that 98/97, maybe even 98:30/96:30 is the way to go for you.
    Whether you should go out with the 3:20 group is up to you but you would have to be comfortable with running a 1:35 second half if so....

cheers buddy, I think I'll stick to my original negative split plan and hope there's enough bodies to shelter in with.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Good luck to everyone tomorrow looking forward to the reports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Best of luck everyone, would love to be joining te but just getting back from an injury suffered 2 weeks into the training plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Best of luck tomorrow everyone! Hope everyone has a great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Best of luck to everyone. Hopefully the weather plays ball and plenty of PB's to go around ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

i've been following this thread closely over the last while, with an eye to using this plan if/when i get around to doing a marathon myself, and some savage training's been done! myself and frclintpower jr should be down on the áras roundabout, weather and potty-training permitting (him, not me), cheering everyone on, so best of luck to everyone!

• Advertisement

Will be in the park myself lads - Best of luck tomorrow. :)

Advertisement