Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Pre Race: Myself and OH headed up to expo on Sunday, had leisurely dinner in Italian after headed out to hotel and generally had a lazy relaxing evening. Didn't sleep much so was up early raring to go, had breakfast @ 7 and headed straight into town. Met my brother at bag drop who was feeling quite nervous as this was his first marathon (he was injured last year) so we did the usual hug wished each other the best and he went into his corral and I went on up to mine. I had already been in McDonalds to the loo but as usual had to go again. The que's were hideous so I followed a couple of fellas to see where they were relieving themselves and found am some bushes suitable for my purpose, another woman called into me to ask if she could come in to share my bathroom and of course I obliged! The things you do, I didn't want to have to stop mid race if at all possible as I was working to such a short time line and I always have to stop half way through my long runs.

Race: Got into the corral and soon realised that I would have to "move" my way up through the crowd to get to the pacers as they were right up the front, now some people didn't appreciate this but I was determined to give myself the best shot today and if I could pee in a bush I could "move" my way up through the crowd, which I duly did and was soon behind the 4 hr pacers. I recognised Marthstew from Dublin Half and got a pace band from her as I forgot mine! So we lined up ready to go and no signal - just as I went over the start line it kicked in to great relief. The usual congestion at the start and for first couple of miles but I soon realised that the group around the pacers was not going to thin out - everyone was stuck to them like glue, I had to watch every step and was very uncomfortable so decided to move in front of pacers as there was loads of space in front of them. Much more comfortable and headed into the park telling myself to keep things nice and easy - steady and strong all the way. Kept my eye on pacers behind me and fell in with a couple of nice fellas and had a good chat through the park which in fairness was spectacular with the sunshine and the deers running beside us (a moment to remember). Was really comfortable until the drag at Crumlin, next thing I knew one of the 4hr pacers were beside me and I thought come on girl don't slow down now and I could hear Marthstew behind me telling everyone to hang in behind some big fella or woman keep the head down for the next few miles and then we had a good run after half way mark, so that is what I did. I kicked on a bit in front of the pacers again, kept the head down got to mile 13 telling myself along the way strong and steady - tried to keep myself relaxed and still felt good. Took a gel at 5, 10 and 15 miles. Knew my hubby would be waiting for me at 18 so was looking for to that. Got to 18 scanning the crowd on both sides and saw my sister in law and gave her a shout out and eventually near the end (and I was almost upset at this stage) I spotted hubby and he ran on a bit with me giving me a last shout out and I felt on a high which was short lived as up to mile 20 was a bit of a drag but again as in crumlin just had to work a little bit harder but again still felt comfortable. Was wondering what Roebuck would look and feel like this year but it wasn't the hill I feared, walked it last year in bits, ran up it this year looking forward to the next six miles. Powered on to mile 22 and for the first time felt a little tired, breathing was fine, never under pressure but my calves were starting to feel really tight. Panicked a little that the legs would tighten up completely but decided to just keep on going as fast as I could - the crowd was great and really gave me the energy I needed for the last few miles. Legs were really tight at this stage but with one mile to go I wasn't about to give up so just put one foot in front of the other until I saw hubby at 50m and started to realise I was almost there and again one foot in front of the other until I got over the line - crossed in 3:58 chip time. I took 4 gels and had my own little bottle of water to avoid first station, just sipped on bottle until I needed another one, I think I only picked up two, hand one in my hand up to 22 miles. Felt a bit sick when I stopped initially but that was gone after about 20 mins. Stiff calves and lots of blood blisters nothing major.

I picked up my medal and did the penguin walk with everyone else to bag collection. Changed and met up with hubby quite quickly, he got me a cuppa to settle tummy, would have loved to meet up with everyone in McGrattans but wanted to shout my brother on so tried to find a spot near finish and thanks to tracking system had fair idea when he was due in. He made it over the line in 4:50 and I was so proud of him. The attached picture sums up my day https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/q71/s720x720/1377107_626049614101110_1073993817_n.jpg

My training went well this year, I made an improvement of 30 mins since last year but this was all due to the plans from Meno and the fantastic information and support I got from everyone on this thread and this forum, I can't thank everyone enough for their input during the year and of course my family who have suffered through my journey for the past few months......

What next - recovery first and foremost and I guess decisions for future plan to be made

murphd77 wrote: »
    3:46:xx for me, a little outside my target but I think it was a decent enough time today. The weather, having surprised us, had some wind up its sleeve. Fabulous day though - nice to meet up with people in McGrattan's afterwords - hooked up with Woden, MiketheMechanic,and of course the legends that are runchick, menoscemo and blockic (oh, and Killerz as well on the way out!). Well done, y'all and vielen danke for the pacing, the advice, and the vibe.

Well done Murph great result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Really delighted for you Willie42 and for the others for whom the plan seems to have payed off. Nice to meet murphd, tomred and runchick yesterday in McGrattans.
    It has been a pleasure to 'coach' this group and the reward in seeing the Pb's is great.

Blockic has already agreed to coach this group next year (i.e. this year's 'novices') so I hope you have all learned enough to chip in and help him out.

Thanks Meno it just goes to show that with the right information / plan/ advice/ support what a novice like myself can achieve, I look forward to meeting you again and hopefully buy you that pint(s) I owe you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

OK,quick race report,another one who had a bad day,plan was for 3:30 I ran a 3:43 in June, yesterday finished in 3:49

Race:At the start seen the 3:30 pacers and there seem to be more space in front of them so started just in front and plan was to stay just ahead or next to them.Gun goes off and I'm feeling ok,even enjoying it first couple of miles pass easy enough 8:09,7:54,7:54,7:47,7:59,7:51. Maybe mile 4 a bit too quick.
    On to next part and again I'm feeling strong getting into stride,first real climb comes around 9 and no problems,but just hear someone say around this time they think its a bit warm and I agree.7:57,7:48,7:58,7:59,7:57,8:07,8:01.Think half split is 1:44:40.Happy with this cause I'm thinking second half is meant to be easier wasn't I wrong :D
    Mile 14 or 15 is when I got the first hint something was going to go wrong,I pulled out to pass someone and my right calf gave me a slight twinge,something I never felt before.But I was still hitting my times so not too worried,I knew these would be the hard miles (15 to 20).7:52,7:56,8:03,8:01,8:10,8:29.That 8:29 mile was mile 19 and I knew I was in trouble,my two calf's were starting to cramp,funny thing is I wasn't tired,I knew I ran 22 miler 4 weeks ago at 8:09 pace and that day could have kept going(not all lsr were done at that pace)Got to hill around mile 20 and legs just blew up on me had to walk up.This is where the splits get nasty 10:58,11:55,10:12,10:15,10:55,10:29,10:20 last bit 4:09
    It started in the calves but by mile 22 it was my thigh's as well and I knew I be lucky to see the finish,the last 6 miles were not nice and I can't say I enjoyed the finish, I left Dublin and I wasn't happy,and I have to put that right next year,its a great marathon and great support all the way around and I want to enjoy the finish with all the crowds.
    BTW all the best on PB's and and it was good to meet blockic.

One question anybody I would love to know why my legs gave up do you think I started to fast or was I just aiming for too much,or something else,just so I can put it right next year.

• Advertisement

Tough race Tenreds and you did well to keep going - you got over the finish line so well done

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Willie42 wrote: »
    ...crossed in 3:58 chip time.

Delighted for you Willie - great stuff! Well run.

My own race report here, for those who enjoy the details. :pac:

I'm loving the race reports, good and bad. Some great running, and some tough days too- but we all seem to have finished in one piece, which isn't always the case. Tough day tenreds and docjewel - but solid times under the circumstances and I'm impressed how you both gritted it out. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    Blockic has already agreed to coach this group next year (i.e. this year's 'novices') so I hope you have all learned enough to chip in and help him out.

You snuck that one in! At what ungodly hour on Monday evening did I agree to this? :pac:

You done such a good job meno I think you should continue in your role! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

So just as little recap I came into DCM on the back of running 3.36 in my last marathon in Limerick, that day I went out with the 3.30 pacers and didn't have it in me on the day and the marathon being the great leveller that it is I was found out at around 20 ish miles or so. I cramped up badly and had a horrible finish losing about 7 minutes in the final 5 miles to home. I was determined to right some wrongs in Dublin this time but wanted to be sensible about it so I took a break after that race, running no more than 20 miles a week for the next 4 or so weeks before beginning to ramp up again. I had a couple of confidence boosting runs in the race series, doing the Fingal 10k in 41 flat and the Frank Duffy in 68.45 which were good pbs for me. I picked up a bit of a niggle after that so didn't run any sessions between the 10 miler and the Half doing that in 1.34.04 on a tough day for many reasons. I was a little disappointed in that run but in retrospect it was an ok time for where I was. Those times put me in 3.20ish shape by McMillan’s estimations but having been burnt really badly in Limerick I decided to err on the side of caution and got with my original goal at the start of the year which was to break 3.30 in DCM13.

On the day I lined up a bit behind the 3.30 pacers, went out at a comfortable pace and fell into the group by O'Connell street. The congestion was bugging me though, I found I was obsessing about keeping an eye on the flags rather than just running my own race, also a lady stepped right out in front of me with a camera just before we rounded the corner on Parnell Street so I was forced up onto the footpath having nearly clattered her and her son. I couldn't believe the lack of common sense from her! As we got into the park I was going fine in the group and it felt like a gentle jog really but the congestion was sill bothering me. 10k time 49.08
    Splits (8.11, 7.43, 7.51, 7.47, 8.23,7.50).

As we moved out of the park I grabbed some Lucozade, took a salt tablet and really began to feel good as we moved through Chapelizod. As we came to the top of Chapelizod Hill I found myself just ahead of the pacers, I don’t actually remember when I left the group but I think as I live in the area and run that hill numerous times a week I kinda zoned out and just went up it. I decided at this point to just keep going as I was, I felt fine and was glad to have a bit of open road. There was a bit of wind in my face as we hit the drag up Crumlin but I got chatting to a guy as we made our way towards the hospital and it passed in no time. I came through half way feeling in decent shape and on target. 1.43.59
    Splits (8.04, 7.37,7.57,7.45,7.37, 7.59, 8.07)

The next few miles were a little bit tough, I hate that run along Cromwellsfort road out to Kimmage as it reminds me of the latter end of 20 mile long runs but with a bit of wind at my back I forgot about the watch and just went by feel, keeping the effort manageable and not thinking too hard! As we hit the Templeogue road and came through Terenure I got a great lift from the crowd, really amazing scenes in fairness. It was at this point I started to feel that dull tightness in my right calf that signifies cramp, I got a bit despondant for a while but feck it I said to myself nothing I can do now, plow on, I just took another salt pill and kept on going. I was actually surprised how comfortable I felt otherwise, breathing was good and apart from the normal “Ive just put 18 miles on the legs feeling” I was enjoying myself. From Rathgar (again amazing) to the 20 mile mark is a bit of a blur but I was still on track and couldn’t see the pacers behind me for the first time. 20 mile time 2.37.52
    Splits (7.53, 7.37, 7.55, 7.45, 7.34, 7.42, 7.56)

I had prepared myself mentally for the Clonkeagh section for most of the last 6 miles but in honesty it passed without incident apart from a large blister popping on my toe, nice. Not much to report here, I was in a good rhythm and just taking each mile as it came, the finish never crossed my mind. Here I noticed that I had started to pass people which gave me lift. I hadn’t allowed myself to consider that my goal time was on but as I went up Roebuck hill nice and steadily to the amazing chorus of cheers and music I rounded the corner to Fosters avenue and I found myself giving the crowd a little fist pump and realised that I was on course. “Right you f***er, dig in”. As we moved out onto the N11 I was passing more and more people and even got a few shouts from some fellow runners which was typical of both the spirit of the sport and the day itself. The effort levels were definitely increasing and I was waiting for the pain to hit me but it never came, I actually felt kinda robotic in those miles! As we got to the bottom of Nutley lane I hit trouble, the body started to fight me and I could feel the cramp on the way. I think I managed it ok as when I felt a surge I slowed the pace for 30 seconds or so, it would pass and id push again. I was gritting my teeth at this stage, everything started to tie up and I knew it was only a matter of time. It eventually got the best of me just past the RDS when my hamstring completely siezed. I stopped and stretched for about 30 seconds and luckily it played ball and I was off again mile split here was 8.20 so no massive damage done. As we hit Lansdowne I was still feeling strong aerobically but the legs were ready to clock out, I was getting a little bit worried at this stage if im honest, once bitten and all that! I got over the grand canal bridge and my calf went this time, only a few seconds to stretch, maybe 15 and I got going, not so bad. I was still passing people as we made our way down onto Pearse St and as we rounded Trinity I knew it was in the bag. I had soaked up the crowd along here last year as I shuffled through at 10.30 pace so I put the head down this time and went hard, a few fist pumps and I just broke into a big smile as I came onto Merrion square. Job done.
    I hadn’t looked at my watch much since the RDS so had no idea what time I’d done and was really happy to see 3.26.46, nothing amazing I know compared to many, but I was absolutely made up. I felt like this was the first time I’d gotten to grips with the distance, which was really important to me and the last 6 miles were exhilarating as much as they were nerve wracking as I tried to hold off the cramp. From the chiptimes website I passed over 400 people in the final 6 miles which I was staggered by along with a negative split of around 90 seconds I think.
    Final splits (7.44, 7.37, 7.42, 8.21, 7.54, 7.47 (7.01))

DCM 12 (3.54.XX)
    Limerick 13 (3.36.15)
    Chip time DCM13 (3.26.51)

A couple of people had said to me beforehand that my target was on the soft side and strictly by the numbers maybe it was but the reality on the road is I think if I had tried to run even a couple of minutes faster I would have ended up a sorry mess of regretful gel covered cramp. Thank heavens for my new best friends the Salt Stick tablets.
    Sorry for the long report, it's kinda gotten away from me a bit! Thanks again to Meno (as well as everyone on here) for his guidance, it’s a 100% fact that I wouldn’t have hit my goal without his sessions, I couldn't get to McGrattans as I was waiting for my girlfriend to come in but ill hopefully get you that keg of beer I owe you at some point. It was great to meet Blockic the legend himself very briefly and overall it was a day that will live long in my memory from the support out on the course to actually doing myself justice. What a day, that’s why we run.

Onwards and upwards now hopefully.

Well done to everyone else here some great times as usual and commiserations to those who were injured or who had a tough one, it will make the next one all the sweeter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Well bringing up the rear for the graduates 4.43 for me DCM 2013. Goal was 4.30 so a bit off, still a 13 minute PB so reasonably happy.
    Training had gone very well, got all the miles in, no injuries. Did the LSRs with two club buddies and we planned to run the race together. I did fall badly just at the start of the taper and pretty much wrecked both knees. One was badly bruised the other cut to shreds and ended up infected. Infection only cleared towards the end of last week. So I had much less running in the taper weeks than planned. Not sure how much a part this played in how the race went for me.

Was much calmer this year during the bank hol weekend, enjoyed the expo, and had a good nights sleep Sun night. Collected my two clubmates bright and early, parked up and headed to the Conrad to use the posh loos (twice) no portaloo's for us.
    Lined up beside the 4.30 pacers, was too embarrassed to introduce myself as a boardsie, felt like I needed to know the secret handshake! Being in the last wave means a very long wait at the start and I was feeling the cold. Eventually though we were off. Couldn't get a signal on the flippin garmin for the first 3 miles and spent those miles distracted and fiddling with it which was a shame. Kept the pacers in sight until the Park. I didn't feel comfortable at the pace, even in those early miles. The muscles on the top of my foot up to my shin were tight and uncomfortable. The 4.40 pacers caught us early in the park and was a lot more happy with them. Really enjoyed the park, saw the deers, sun came out, and a nice bit of downhill out of the park. The bit from there to Dolphins Barn is a bit of a blur but I was happy enough. Tucked right behind the 4.40 pacers up the Crumlin Rd to try and get a bit of shelter from the wind. (3 big lads must look up who they were) this stretch sapped the legs a bit.
    We'd great support over the next section, my club mates hubby was at half way with some supplies. Had a banana there to top up the gels I'd been taking. On to the Submarine where we had plenty of clubmates and cheers. More cheers to the KCR. On up Fortfield Rd, this is home territory, a mile from home. I had been looking forward to this section of the race to Milltown as that's where I grew up. Started to feel the strain here though. Used the portaloo's in Terenure and the 4.40 pacers went off into the distance. Felt increasingly bad as the miles were ticking off. We weren't slowing but it was becoming a struggle. As we came out of Orwell Rd I knew once we went down the hill to Milltown my hubby and kids would be there. I told the girls to pretend we felt great and I but in a bit of a spurt. Hugs for the kids and I continued on. I was comparing it to his I had felt at the same point last year. Last year it still felt easy at that stage so I knew from there to the finish was going to hurt. Up the Clonskeagh drag and spotted a clubmate walking, we chatted to him and got him running again but he couldn't stay with us going up Roebuck hill. The support up the hill was brilliant, really made a difference and we managed to get up it without too much difficulty. Hit the UCD flyover and was feeling very disheartened. I'd been the chatty one all along encouraging my clubmates, high fiving kids, pointing out banners but from here I really couldn't do anything other than keep putting one foot in front of the other. We were getting loads of shouts because we all had our club singlets on and that was such a help. I was trying to recall every motivational quote I'd ever heard. Gerry Duffy often says just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll finish and I just kept doing that. The Merrion Rd and Shelbourne Rd seemed endless. Our club were stewarding the last mile but I felt so bad I wasn't looking forward to seeing them. However as we came round Trinity I got a burst of energy and high fived as many as I could, down Nassau street more of them stewarding and huge cheers. Told my clubmates just to savour this (it was their first marathon) Saw the hubby and kids again more high fives and time to get to the finish line. Hand in hand with the girls we crossed the line, delighted!!
    Felt ok at the end kept walking met the family and a walk of 15 minutes to the car which did me good.
    The race was a big contrast to last year during which I felt great the whole way. I put in a great training cycle so 4.30 should have been there. I don't know why it wasn't. Good points for the day got to run it with my buddies and share their first marathon with them, didn't walk a step and didn't hit the wall. Bad points just didn't feel good at any stage during it, the whole thing was a struggle.
    Met the girls and a few more running buddies Monday night for a few drinkies to round off the day nicely.
    Couple of weeks rest now and the back to training. Want to work on speed now and will look at a spring half.

Well done everyone on your races have thoroughly enjoyed reading how you got on. Looking forward to Blockics mentor-ship hopefully even a tiny fraction of his speed will come my way :-)

Sorry it didn't go to plan Deedee but you still got a PB so well done you

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Deedee ...Sorry to hear your race did not as you wanted. I am sure its very disappointing when you had worked so hard :(

Sounded like a tough day DeeDee, well done on still getting a PB out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Willie42 wrote: »
    ...was soon behind the 4 hr pacers. I recognised Marthstew from Dublin Half and got a pace band from her as I forgot mine! So we lined up ready to go and no signal - just as I went over the start line it kicked in to great relief. The usual congestion at the start and for first couple of miles but I soon realised that the group around the pacers was not going to thin out - everyone was stuck to them like glue, I had to watch every step and was very uncomfortable so decided to move in front of pacers as there was loads of space in front of them. Much more comfortable and headed into the park telling myself to keep things nice and easy - steady and strong all the way. Kept my eye on pacers behind me and fell in with a couple of nice fellas and had a good chat through the park which in fairness was spectacular with the sunshine and the deers running beside us (a moment to remember). Was really comfortable until the drag at Crumlin, next thing I knew one of the 4hr pacers were beside me and I thought come on girl don't slow down now and I could hear Marthstew behind me telling everyone to hang in behind some big fella or woman keep the head down for the next few miles and then we had a good run after half way mark, so that is what I did. I kicked on a bit in front of the pacers again, kept the head down got to mile 13 telling myself along the way strong and steady - tried to keep myself relaxed and still felt good. ...
    ...mile 22 and for the first time felt a little tired, breathing was fine, never under pressure but my calves were starting to feel really tight. Panicked a little that the legs would tighten up completely but decided to just keep on going as fast as I could - the crowd was great and really gave me the energy I needed for the last few miles. Legs were really tight at this stage but with one mile to go I wasn't about to give up so just put one foot in front of the other until I saw hubby at 50m and started to realise I was almost there and again one foot in front of the other until I got over the line - crossed in 3:58 chip time. I took 4 gels and had my own little bottle of water to avoid first station, just sipped on bottle until I needed another one, I think I only picked up two, hand one in my hand up to 22 miles.

Uncanny...
    Did you run in my shoes on Monday?
    I swear we had the same race?! :D

Nice one Emer - hope you enjoyed it as much as I did - it was nice to have a good day on the big day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    You snuck that one in! At what ungodly hour on Monday evening did I agree to this? :pac:

You done such a good job meno I think you should continue in your role! ;)

Haha, it was early enough in McG's.
    Time to step up to the mark young man and give a little back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Fab reports on here guys.

Willie42 I am absolutely delighted for you - you deserved that result after such great training, well done you!

OP - delighted for you too, sounds like a perfect run. I'm sure you're still buzzing!

Deedee - sorry that you didn't hit the target but sounds like you enjoyed the run and that's the main thing for sure. Another marathon under the belt and a decent PB so not a bad day at all.

Docjewel and Tenreds - sounds like a tough day at the office for both of you guys but respect to you for grinding it out and congrats on finishing another marathon.

Hope everyone is recovering well and enjoying a well earned rest this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's race reports here, thanks for sharing them all folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

^^^^^ yes indeed. Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

I'm really enjoying reading everyone's race reports here, thanks for sharing them all folks.
    RedRunner wrote: »
    ^^^^^ yes indeed. Ditto

another one for anyone thats bored !!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87269513#post87269513

So how's everyone's legs feeling? I'm feeling pretty OK now but they legs still are a little sore here and there, I'm tempted to go for a short recovery run tonight but will probably leave it until Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Big conrats OP on your race you did fantastic. I'm currently typing my own race report, warning its long :) My body isn't too bad, I'm longing for fresh air so I think Ill go for a mile or two today.

Great race reports everyone. Again a huge congrats to all, for those of you who smashed your targets a huge well done and those of you who didn’t we will all have another day. How’s everyone else recovering?
    So going into this one on the back of all the extra mileage and sessions I was confident enough of going sub 3.30. As race day neared and all the talk was of the storm coming, I started to stress over the weather and how I would struggle to make my target; this resulted in bad night sleep Thurs, Fri and Sat night. Silly I know.
    Slept ok Sun night and jumped out of the bed Mon morn raring to go. Got down to the start early and was like a stalker on the watch out for the pacers. Spotted Blockic straight away and got chatting to him. Lovely to meet you Blockic by the way and cheers for the advice. Also got to meet Stats and his hair :) Lined up well behind the 3.30 pacers, plan being the crowd would shield me from the wind. Got talking to a lovely man from Waterford and we were off. From the off I felt uneasy in the huge crowd and weaving in and out of runners trying to follow the 3.30 pacers flags. I said to myself over the first few miles this pace doesn’t seem easy and knew that wasn’t a good sign. As advised I avoided the first water stop and actually didn’t get water myself the first few as people were passing water from one another, one runner even grabbed the full multipack of bottles in the phoenix park and shared them out. Somehow coming into the park I found myself in front of the group, how this happened I don’t know so I slowed my pace and let myself fall back in behind the group again. The sun got very strong in the last section of the park and I began to get very warm. Tummy got a few cramps after my first gel at mile 6 so luckily that passed after half a mile. After the park it was a case of cat and mouse for me and the group, still not feeling like Id much energy. Id fall a bit too back and then catch the group up again. By mile 16 I fell a good way back and said to myself cop on if you lose them now you’re a goner, so I upped my pace and sat in with the group up until after Milltown. As we turned for Clonskeagh this is where the red flags fell further and further away in the distance. I felt terrible, was so thirsty even though I was taking drinks at every stop, and had popped my four gels. Tried taking jellies off two different spectators and on both occasions I had to spit them out again. From mile 20 on every step was torture, I just felt like I could lie across the road and even contemplated throwing the towel in but knew I couldn’t do that. Those last 6miles I felt like I was hardly moving, target was so far gone and now it was plan b time and I had to beat last year’s time. The voices of friends of mine who said when they upped their training for their second marathon and posted worst times than their previous were screaming in my head. So time to dig deep and it was calculation central in my head trying to work out would I break last year’s time. The last mile was my slowest I prompted the crowd a few times to lift my spirits and their cheers did get me over the line. I think I actually walked over the line, a new pb of two mins. I couldn’t move but was so happy it was all over. Ironically the man I spoke to at the start followed me over the line. Walked back to the hotel happy it was all over but a bit of disappointment too. As word came through of how friends/acquaintances got on I soon found out some had a nightmare of a day unfortunately so my little pb didn’t seem too bad after all.
    So back to the question was all that mileage, sessions etc worth my result? I’m mad with myself regards my game plan for the day. I know I always perform better in races where I start slower than race pace and then gradually increase my speed, these have always been the races I have done best in and enjoyed. When I go out at race pace I always crash and burn. So in hindsight I should have done my own thing the first few miles and then eased into race pace, would this have made a more enjoyable day out? Who knows? An important thing I’ve realised over the last few days is that DCM13 isn’t the be all and end all, it’s just part of a very long journey, all that mileage in the legs is going to stand to me in the long run and already I can see my recovery is a million times better this year than last year. Sure my body is tired but I’m already contemplating going for a run today, my mind is crying out for fresh air.
    Big thank you again to Meno, Blockic and the other pacers.
    So where to next? Let’s just say runireland has been hit the last few days and I’m following the Spring Marathon thread on here. :D

DOCO12 wrote: »
    I’m mad with myself regards my game plan for the day. I know I always perform better in races where I start slower than race pace and then gradually increase my speed, these have always been the races I have done best in and enjoyed. When I go out at race pace I always crash and burn. So in hindsight I should have done my own thing the first few miles and then eased into race pace, would this have made a more enjoyable day out? Who knows? An important thing I’ve realised over the last few days is that DCM13 isn’t the be all and end all, it’s just part of a very long journey, all that mileage in the legs is going to stand to me in the long run and already I can see my recovery is a million times better this year than last year.

Well done Doco and it was great to meet you on Monday! Sorry your race didn't go to plan. I know when I'm racing myself I always do the same as above by easing into it but it really is down to the individual and going by experience. You live and learn, that great training cycle you done will definitely stand to you and the sub 3:30 is no doubt there based on your training, just was an off day!

Plenty more opportunities to smash it which I have no doubt you will next time out. Looking forward to meeting you in again in future races and thanks for confirming that my runners are red! ;)

A training log perhaps? :D

Yes I can confirm his runners are in fact RED :) ha ha

I'm thinking I will start a log, keep me focused. Thanks. Just trying to find something to keep myself busy during the winter and I badly need to work on my core, am trying to decide between pilates/ yogalates or circuit training. Anyone here do any of these? Have done circuits plenty of times but it only has a small bit of core work.

So how's everyone's legs feeling? I'm feeling pretty OK now but they legs still are a little sore here and there, I'm tempted to go for a short recovery run tonight but will probably leave it until Monday.

I'm feeling good - sore quads on Tuesday but stretched the legs with some walking on weds, plus nice gentle swim and sauna. By Thursday legs felt totally normal but will rest up for the weekend and maybe ease back in next week.

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Yes I can confirm his runners are in fact RED :) ha ha

I'm thinking I will start a log, keep me focused. Thanks. Just trying to find something to keep myself busy during the winter and I badly need to work on my core, am trying to decide between pilates/ yogalates or circuit training. Anyone here do any of these? Have done circuits plenty of times but it only has a small bit of core work.

Core Strengthening and Flexibility classes *cough*Pilates and yoga *cough* are fantastic, I done it last winter and found it excellent, i got lazy over the summer in relation to it but going to take it up now again for sure I think.

Moves us on nicely to the next point.

Now that the marathon is over what are peoples targets and goals for the next 6 months?

I'd be interested to see? :) Maybe if we put it down here and then revisit in a few months to check on progress!

For me I focusing the next few months on improving in races up to the 10m distance before taking another bash at a marathon this time next year.

Also planning on knocking the times on the 10 round numbers that I didn't get this year.

5 mile, 3km, 10mile in particular.

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Core Strengthening and Flexibility classes *cough*Pilates and yoga *cough* are fantastic, I done it last winter and found it excellent, i got lazy over the summer in relation to it but going to take it up now again for sure I think.

+1 to that. Last year I did regular Pilates class which helped. Gave it up this year what with the extra mileage and all but will definitely try to make room for it from now on. Really helps with strength and endurance (and general physical wellbeing).

Advertisement