Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great report DOCO12, I would think sleep deprivation contributed to your discomfort but you didn't miss the target by much! Well done on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

blockic wrote: »
    Core Strengthening and Flexibility classes *cough*Pilates and yoga *cough* are fantastic, I done it last winter and found it excellent, i got lazy over the summer in relation to it but going to take it up now again for sure I think.

Something I'm gonna have to bite the bullet with too big time,legs feeling good now buts its my lower back thats the most uncomfortable part right now(had a light jog around yesterday while the young lad was on his bike followed by a nice sloooow walk).

Going forward I'm gonna try & target a 5 mile race mid Februaruy & break the 35min mark & If a spring marathon doesn't materialise gonna aim for a half around August & having a good go off it before targeting Dublin again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great report DOCO, I could feel your pain in those last few miles and despite that you knocked out a pb, impressive. That base will stand you and I reckon if you look after yourself over the next couple of months and let yourself recover properly you will nail sub 3.30 in the spring.

Now that the marathon is over what are peoples targets and goals for the next 6 months?

Cant wait to get back onto the road to be honest, I think ill run some parkruns and probably Donore's 5K in December I would be open to a flat 10k too ;)
    Main aim will be to get back running decent mileage by December with the Bohermeen half in March a big target for me. All going well, I hope with some focused work I can get pretty close to sub 1.30 around there.

Im toying with the idea of joining a club also, I live in Kilmainham so there are a couple of potential choices but am worried about being completely out of my depth, I need to just grow a pair and show up for a session somewhere I think.

Lastly I've been told that I can likely get an entry for London if I want it, Bohermeen would fall nicely in the run up to that but I'm wary of racing another Marathon so soon?

Would welcome all input!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm toying with the idea of joining a club also, I live in Kilmainham so there are a couple of potential choices but am worried about being completely out of my depth, I need to just grow a pair and show up for a session somewhere I think.

You will definitely not be out of your depth! Just do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You will definitely not be out of your depth! Just do it!

+1 you will have loads of people at your level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Core Strengthening and Flexibility classes *cough*Pilates and yoga *cough* are fantastic, I done it last winter and found it excellent, i got lazy over the summer in relation to it but going to take it up now again for sure I think.

I do Pilates too and I love it. I think it's helped a lot with core strength. i did a class on wednesday morning & I think it got rid of a lot of the post-marathon stiffness.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Moves us on nicely to the next point.

Now that the marathon is over what are peoples targets and goals for the next 6 months?

I'd be interested to see? :) Maybe if we put it down here and then revisit in a few months to check on progress!

For me I focusing the next few months on improving in races up to the 10m distance before taking another bash at a marathon this time next year.

Also planning on knocking the times on the 10 round numbers that I didn't get this year.

5 mile, 3km, 10mile in particular.

My plan is getting back running again & taking in a couple of parkruns to ease into things. I've entered a half in Malta in Feb so that's my goal race to prove my fitness again. After that it's the race series & DCM14. Depending on fitness & scheduling I may attempt one sprint/olympic Tri. Nothing like before where I entered as many races as I could.

Most of all though, I looking forward to falling in line with the 2013 novices and having blockic as my mentor!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

100% agree with the others Overpronator any club would be only delighted to have someone of your standard to join you should def go for it. Speaking of which when is it ok to start introducing some sessions again? I've heard in places leave it a month, others say they raced the week after it's all very confusing?!
    Also now that we are not marathon training anymore what do people reckon is an optimum mileage per week?
    My targets are similar to most of yers here in that I'm going to focus on the shorter stuff for the next few months, like to have a crack at my 5K and 8K pbs especially, and then see about what marathon to do in 2014, I think training for a spring one would be tough enough in the darkness. I'd give my right arm to do London, silly me I'd a gfa and left it too late to get a proof of UK address, what was I thinking. A London entry would be a good way of getting over this DCM hangover :) Anyone else feeling a bit down that it's all over?
    Killian best of luck with your targets,my friend was boasting Mon night that she saw Killian from O.T. Fame handing out sweets :)

DOCO12 wrote: »
    100% agree with the others Overpronator any club would be only delighted to have someone of your standard to join you should def go for it. Speaking of which when is it ok to start introducing some sessions again? I've heard in places leave it a month, others say they raced the week after it's all very confusing?!
    Also now that we are not marathon training anymore what do people reckon is an optimum mileage per week?
    My targets are similar to most of yers here in that I'm going to focus on the shorter stuff for the next few months, like to have a crack at my 5K and 8K pbs especially, and then see about what marathon to do in 2014, I think training for a spring one would be tough enough in the darkness. I'd give my right arm to do London, silly me I'd a gfa and left it too late to get a proof of UK address, what was I thinking. A London entry would be a good way of getting over this DCM hangover :) Anyone else feeling a bit down that it's all over?
    Killian best of luck with your targets,my friend was boasting Mon night that she saw Killian from O.T. Fame handing out sweets :)

Sign up to a short race in about 2-3 weeks time and just run easy until then (gradually introduce some strides in your midweek runs to test the DOMs). Use the race as a base test and run it off no speedwork. You'll be surprised that your marathon fitness will likely yield a PB if you are fully recovered.

After that you can introduce some speedwork with an aim to improving your time. Prk runs are good for this (if there is one near) as you can track progress on the same course...

As per mileage; you should really keep it as high as possible. Try to keep it close to your average marathon training mileage (35-45 mpw??) no matter what distance you are training for. This means when you come to your next marathon training cycle you will be able to tackle a more intense; higher mileage programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

DOCO12 wrote: »

+1 on the good wishes. And thanks for the support - sugary and vocal - in both locations on Monday. They were two extra places where I couldn't give in to aching legs and walk a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    +1 on the good wishes. And thanks for the support - sugary and vocal - in both locations on Monday. They were two extra places where I couldn't give in to aching legs and walk a bit.

Yep, cheers Killian, got your shout at Milltown but only realised who it was after I had passed. Appreciated it! Fair play for handing out the goodies too!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

I plan on doing the walled city Derry marathon on 1st June next year so that will b my goal next year with omagh half around Easter b4 hand. Anyone else plan on doing it or marathon around this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Bit of a reality inducing sobering run tonight. :rolleyes:

I'm down for a 5k on Sunday week and aiming for the lofty heights of a sub 30 (mule pace :D) It's in the park and from what I can see of the route it's quite hilly - you go right down into the furry glen and back out. So I decided tonight to throw in a sharp hill after 3.5k at 5k pace. I obviously expected to have to work a good bit harder but I did not expect to completely blow up and have to walk part of it. :mad: Double :mad: as I haven't had to walk at all since getting back out there this time round. I simply couldn't sustain the 5k pace up that hill tonight. The overall time for 5k wasn't too bad though and I'm still reasonably confident of getting the time on the day.

I'd be interested to hear what's the strategy amongst the group here for hills in 5k races ? It's not like a marathon where you have a bit of time to play with and catch up. Would you normally power through and keep the pace up or do you adjust a bit, go faster on the downhill etc.

It's not possible to hold the same pace on uphills as on the flat. You have to ease up the uphills and power on the downhills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Bit of a reality inducing sobering run tonight. :rolleyes:

I'm down for a 5k on Sunday week and aiming for the lofty heights of a sub 30 (mule pace :D) It's in the park and from what I can see of the route it's quite hilly - you go right down into the furry glen and back out. So I decided tonight to throw in a sharp hill after 3.5k at 5k pace. I obviously expected to have to work a good bit harder but I did not expect to completely blow up and have to walk part of it. :mad: Double :mad: as I haven't had to walk at all since getting back out there this time round. I simply couldn't sustain the 5k pace up that hill tonight. The overall time for 5k wasn't too bad though and I'm still reasonably confident of getting the time on the day.

I'd be interested to hear what's the strategy amongst the group here for hills in 5k races ? It's not like a marathon where you have a bit of time to play with and catch up. Would you normally power through and keep the pace up or do you adjust a bit, go faster on the downhill etc.

Try to maintain effort on the hills, not pace. You can't run the same pace uphill that you can on the flat so trying to do so will result in you blowing up and ruining your race. To be honest, you're not going to run your best time on a hilly course so just maintain the effort and you will run a solid race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

@ PM; I wouldn't worry too much about times at this stage in your training. Treat it like a pre season game. You're just back, training hard and this race is just a stepping stone towards the bigger picture. I guarantee if it wasn't for boards you wouldn't be worrying about sub 30 so soon after returning from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

New runner wrote: »
    I plan on doing the walled city Derry marathon on 1st June next year so that will b my goal next year with omagh half around Easter b4 hand. Anyone else plan on doing it or marathon around this time?

Might be bumping into you next year new runner! Have earmarked the omagh half as a race for next year too and have been tempted over the last couple days by derry. That's after saying I wouldn't do a marathon next year. Reckon it's reading all the marathon reports over the last few weeks that has sparked the interest again.

Do you know if inishowen are planning on doing a half again next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Gavlor wrote: »
    @ PM; I wouldn't worry too much about times at this stage in your training. Treat it like a pre season game. You're just back, training hard and this race is just a stepping stone towards the bigger picture. I guarantee if it wasn't for boards you wouldn't be worrying about sub 30 so soon after returning from injury.

/shakes fist at boards

In all seriousness though it's a goal I set myself as getting it puts me back at a similar fitness level I had before training for last years DCM. Not the end of the world if it doesn't happen next week - it will happen soon but I do want to give it a good shot.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Might be bumping into you next year new runner! Have earmarked the omagh half as a race for next year too and have been tempted over the last couple days by derry. That's after saying I wouldn't do a marathon next year. Reckon it's reading all the marathon reports over the last few weeks that has sparked the interest again.

Do you know if inishowen are planning on doing a half again next year?

Yeah they def doing it again n I hope to do it too, haven't heard of date yet but I'd say it will b in and around last years date. Hopefully meet u over some of these races.
    Just looked omagh half is 29th March, hopefully inishowen half will b after Easter, maybe 27th April??

Incase it's of any benefit to any of u, just wanted to say how good the Garmin service is,some of u may remember that I fell earlier on in the year n cracked screen of my forerunner 305 n scrapped it all, hence it's been letting water in when I've ran in the rain. I rang Garmin support in Southampton Tuesday week ago re replacing screen , the lovely lady I was speaking to explained they don't open the watches they replace them with a new unit ( ? Refurbished but have never belonged to anyone, for £58.80. I posted it from Derry on Wednesday, received an email on Friday to say they received it n another on Monday with the tracking details to say they'd dispatched the replacement. I got a phone call on Thursday morn at 8am from the courier looking for directions to my home n within half hour I had my brand new replacement, still with plastic protection covering the screen, exactly same as my own. Delighted. very good service .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Moves us on nicely to the next point.

I'd be interested to see? :) Maybe if we put it down here and then revisit in a few months to check on progress!

For me I focusing the next few months on improving in races up to the 10m distance before taking another bash at a marathon this time next year.

Also planning on knocking the times on the 10 round numbers that I didn't get this year.

5 mile, 3km, 10mile in particular.

Great reports everybody.Really enjoyed reading about your exploits.

Blockic, will be very interesting to read your progress on the shorter stuff now that youve conquered the marathon!

For me ..what's next

1. Continue rehab on knee which is going well I think. havent been running this week nor will next week until next physio visit on thursday anyhow.
    2. Following week I'm registered for Run in the Dark 10k..because I've a group of 22 from work doing it so really just doing it to be polite. wont be racing it ....just maybe treat it as a tempo run but depends on physio recommendation afte progress review on injury.
    3. will then focus on a 10k/5mile plan with next goal race as the Raheny 5 at end january.
    4. This plan will probably overlap with Meno's training plan as i restart marathon training for London 2014. (Meno , do you happen to have this written down /typed up anywhere to avoi having to trawl through all the posts to collect each week's plan?)
    5 Will try a Half marathon maybe in march, Bohermeen or Balbriggan I'd say.
    6. Will do pilates classes over the Winter too as the physio place does them early in morning with a running focus

but first I must get back to healthy diet as since I had to pull out of DCM I've been on a chocolate splurge!

Keep it going gang. Really enjoy being part of this online group and sharing the trials and tribulations as well as the all important learnings and advice.

RedRunner wrote: »
    4. This plan will probably overlap with Meno's training plan as i restart marathon training for London 2014. (Meno , do you happen to have this written down /typed up anywhere to avoi having to trawl through all the posts to collect each week's plan?)

If you look back through this thread, the same Q came up a few weeks ago and c_m put up a link to the google doc excell of her plan for limerick which is basically what I recycled for you guys (with 1 or 2 minor tweaks). Being a traditionalist I work off the Beermat version of that plan ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done to all who ran DCM 2013, some great times ran. Hard luck to those who missed out through injury, i feel ye're pain BIG TIME. Not to blow sunshine up his ar$e cause i'm sure hes fed up of it at this stage, big well done to blockic on his sub3 hour marathon in Chicago. Shows where hard work and alot of natural talent can take you in 12 months.

As for myself, the operation i had in mid-june proved to be a disaster, surgeon made balls of it. Since been sorted, but no running under strict instructions till new year. Not allowed to do any weight bearing exercise only exercise bike in gym and exercises to improve the knee strength.

New runner wrote: »
    Yeah they def doing it again n I hope to do it too, haven't heard of date yet but I'd say it will b in and around last years date. Hopefully meet u over some of these races.
    Just looked omagh half is 29th March, hopefully inishowen half will b after Easter, maybe 27th April??

Will keep that in mind thanks, Bundoran 10 mile on 1st march too so nice bit of variety at that time of year

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Will keep that in mind thanks, Bundoran 10 mile on 1st march too so nice bit of variety at that time of year

Bundoran 10 mile again will be my early season goal race, great race & very well organised.

tang1 wrote: »
    Bundoran 10 mile again will be my early season goal race, great race & very well organised.

Hope to make it next year. You had a good time there this year from memory, hope you have got over your bad luck with injuries and get to a marathon start line

Well done to all who ran DCM 2013, some great times ran. Hard luck to those who missed out through injury, i feel ye're pain BIG TIME. Not to blow sunshine up his ar$e cause i'm sure hes fed up of it at this stage, big well done to blockic on his sub3 hour marathon in Chicago. Shows where hard work and alot of natural talent can take you in 12 months.

As for myself, the operation i had in mid-june proved to be a disaster, surgeon made balls of it. Since been sorted, but no running under strict instructions till new year. Not allowed to do any weight bearing exercise only exercise bike in gym and exercises to improve the knee strength.

Sorry to hear that tang, hopefully next year u will b back fighting fit, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

sorry to hear that. Best of luck with recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Jeez Tang, that's terrible luck. Bad enough that you had to have operation in first place. Did you have to get second opinion and a second operation?

Hopefully you'll be back to it strong in new year.

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Jeez Tang, that's terrible luck. Bad enough that you had to have operation in first place. Did you have to get second opinion and a second operation?

Hopefully you'll be back to it strong in new year.

Got second opinion, was in complete agony for weeks after 1st operation which wasn't right. Luckily it was able to be rectified by key-hole surgery 2nd time around. These things happen i suppose, just annoying when you pay top dollar and a ball$ is made of it.

Advertisement