Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Well had my introduction to XC this morning. First race of four in the ladies meet & train series. 2 miles round playing fields in Swords. 22 ladies of all abilities from our club ventured out for this. I've had very little running since DCM due to a dose setting off my asthma, have been on steroids all week so this was never going to be pretty. Didn't come last!!! Eight behind me woohoo! Actually was a nice morning, huge crowd out running for fun on a Sunday morning followed by tea and cake, nice one.
    Volunteered at Marlay parkrun yesterday with the kids, great athmosphere and followed by tea and cake....hmm I really need to stop all this eating and do some more running :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Second notable run in a week and one not likely to be repeated.

Incredibly busy day on the horizon and we were trying to work out the logistics of me getting a little run in. 4-5k at a max was on cards after last run out had been longest of the current comeback. A cunning plan was hatched involving me heading out for a run which would be a part of the 8.4k it takes to cover from our house to where my daughter was going swimming, Mrs Mule (:D does it beat Mrs Messiah) following 30 mins later would pick me up along the way. Set off at what would be somewhere between 5k and 10k race pace for me happy in the knowledge this would only be for 5k / 30 min ish.

Great plan ! Until Mrs Mule stopped for a chat with the neighbours on way out and then for petrol. :D Got to 5k and no sign - pushed on expecting every approaching car to be herself. 6k, 7k 8k clicked by with my inner wimp whining about the lack of lift. It was very strange to be running to a "surprise" finish at a pace I wouldn't have expected to maintain yet maintained it quite comfortably despite the niggling self doubts.

End result was I made it all the way to swimming before they caught me. So 8.4k done which once again was a step up distance wise and at a pace which would have beaten my PB for 10k if I had finished it off. Hamstring cramped / spasmed in the pool afterwards which is taken as a healthy warning sign I pushed it too far. Few easy runs on the horizon for the rest of the week as I think I stepped it up a little too much this week.

Must look at getting a proper goal orientated / structured plan in place soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

London Marathon Plan Spreadsheet now officially drawn up:D. Starts on Dec 30th so I have until then to continue my recovery from injury with more strength and conditioning and a slow build up in mileage.

RedRunner wrote: »
    London Marathon Plan Spreadsheet now officially drawn up:D. Starts on Dec 30th so I have until then to continue my recovery from injury with more strength and conditioning and a slow build up in mileage.

What plan are you following for this RR ?

What plan are you following for this RR ?

I'm following Meno's plan for DCM'13 which is a version of CM's plan for Limerick'13 if I'm not mistaken. I've put it all into excel so if anyone here is interested in it let me know and I'll share it on google docs or something.

With the both author's permissions of course;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

RedRunner that would be great to have for future reference - worked first time - will defo use again:)

Willie42 wrote: »
    RedRunner that would be great to have for future reference - worked first time - will defo use again:)

No problem. Will post something up in next couple of days. Don't have access to it where I am now.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

How's everyone getting on trying to get runs in now that we've to deal with so much darkness? I'd like to be able to get a medium run in during the week say around 8-10 miles but with the short days it's hard to get out for one. So was wondering would you get as much benefit from doing a split day of say 4 in am and 4pm kinda thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

DOCO12 wrote: »
    How's everyone getting on trying to get runs in now that we've to deal with so much darkness? I'd like to be able to get a medium run in during the week say around 8-10 miles but with the short days it's hard to get out for one. So was wondering would you get as much benefit from doing a split day of say 4 in am and 4pm kinda thing?

A split run is better than nothing, but if you can get in 4 in the pm (assuming it is dark then) then why can't you get in 8-10 in the dark? wear a hi Viz and if necessary get yourself a head torch to light the way....I really like running in the dark...

menoscemo wrote: »
    A split run is better than nothing, but if you can get in 4 in the pm (assuming it is dark then) then why can't you get in 8-10 in the dark? wear a hi Viz and if necessary get yourself a head torch to light the way....I really like running in the dark...

So really if feasible it's just best to get the 8-10 done altogether instead of a split?
    I live out in the sticks so run down country roads and am always freaking out that there's someone in the bushes/field etc :D Funnily enough I don't mind going when its getting bright or when it's getting dark . Luckily it's only one day a week I'll have to work around this cos can run with others on the other days and of course the weekend.

• Advertisement

So really if feasible it's just best to get the 8-10 done altogether instead of a split?

Absolutely!!
    Splits have their place in a training programme but 2 short runs won't give you the endurance benefits of 1 longish run.
    If you have to do a split run (on a non recovery day) you could do the first mile 'steady' (at around MP) and the 2nd easy/recovery. At least that way you are getting a bit of a workout (without taxing yourself too much).

I live out in the sticks so run down country roads and am always freaking out that there's someone in the bushes/field etc :D Funnily enough I don't mind going when its getting bright or when it's getting dark . Luckily it's only one day a week I'll have to work around this cos can run with others on the other days and of course the weekend.

Would it be an option to drive to a more well lit area / circuit and run then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

How's everyone getting on trying to get runs in now that we've to deal with so much darkness?

Managed 12k tonight in the cold and dark. Very enjoyable!

Hey everybody. Heres a link to the Meno/CM plan. Have included all the comments aswell like how you should do the session or long run so hope this is useful to the group. Realised I'm starting earlier than I thought too for my London attempt. Thanks to Murphd77 for spotting the two weeks I missed.

Update on my knee is that its getting better, managed a 10k last week(run in the Dark) in 51 mins and came through it pain free. Started doing Core Classes and find that tough but great and adds some variety to training. Still easing back into running and hope to be running regularly again next week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah799hpw9deXdHZ0VE9zRW52RGItckw5dHBtdi01dFE&usp=sharing

Not exactly an expert with google docs so hope this works. Let me know if it doesnt.

So who here is heading to Boards XMas drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Thanks for the spreadsheet RedRunner - can't do drinks that evening unfortunately, have hospice event on that night

I'm up for it if there is a few from here heading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I'm up for it if there is a few from here heading.

I'll be there anyway!

blockic wrote: »
    I'll be there anyway!

+1 Guys, as organiser I'd appreciate it if you showed up....some of the attendances have been poor in the past :o; it would be really great craic if there was a decent crowd!!

Someone has to go to the bar to buy blockic his pints (or else the group will all get fecked out for bringing in underage drinkers :D) so make me a definite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

+1 Guys, as organiser I'd appreciate it if you showed up....some of the attendances have been poor in the past :o; it would be really great craic if there was a decent crowd!!

I might try to come in for a little while. I'm on nephew-minding duty that night, but could come in for an hour or so. Do you think people will arrive by 8?

• Advertisement

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I might try to come in for a little while. I'm on nephew-minding duty that night, but could come in for an hour or so. Do you think people will arrive by 8?

There will be a few people there at 8 (I will for sure) but this is Ireland :rolleyes:, if you only have an hour to spend and want to meet everyone; coming between 8 and 9 might not be the most efficient way to do it. I'll say no more before rumours start that it doesn't kick off until x oclock ;) I'm sure you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey everybody. Heres a link to the Meno/CM plan. Have included all the comments aswell like how you should do the session or long run so hope this is useful to the group. Realised I'm starting earlier than I thought too for my London attempt. Thanks to Murphd77 for spotting the two weeks I missed.

Update on my knee is that its getting better, managed a 10k last week(run in the Dark) in 51 mins and came through it pain free. Started doing Core Classes and find that tough but great and adds some variety to training. Still easing back into running and hope to be running regularly again next week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah799hpw9deXdHZ0VE9zRW52RGItckw5dHBtdi01dFE&usp=sharing

Not exactly an expert with google docs so hope this works. Let me know if it doesnt.

Nice one with the spreadsheet RR, dates and everything worked out! You've just made life very easy for me so thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I am away, but will record a video message if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Where & when is this party? ;)

Steroo wrote: »
    Where & when is this party? ;)

Here you go Stereo ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057082001

Great start to today, have been meaning to give a runmute a go, have cycled in and out of work this week to wean myself out of the car. So the stars aligned this morning, talked myself out of the bed, gear on, quick banana and I was off. 5 miles door to door, showered and at my desk by 8 o clock, what's not to like?

Now it's downhill on the way in so I've the uphill return leg to do after work. I figure though even if I do this once a week it's a handy 10 miles in the bank.
    There's cake in work this afternoon for someones birthday so I figure I'll have done enough today to indulge guilt free. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Now it's downhill on the way in so I've the uphill return leg to do after work. I figure though even if I do this once a week it's a handy 10 miles in the bank.

If you can leave your bike in the office, you can cycle in/run home/run in/cycle home. Makes it easier to bring clothes lunch etc in to work

RayCun wrote: »
    If you can leave your bike in the office, you can cycle in/run home/run in/cycle home. Makes it easier to bring clothes lunch etc in to work

Yep that's an option to consider but want to try and do the club sessions too so need to figure it so that I'm not on a running home day when I need to do a session.

Hit double figures for a training run today for first time in many many months - possibly since DCM 12 now that I think of it. :eek: Felt good enough at end to blast out the last 1km and beat all my unofficial PB's for the shorter distances on the way. Starting to feel like a runner again. :pac:

• Advertisement

Anyone have any races coming up? I'm debating over what ones to aim for. For the time being a spring marathon is out of my head want to concentrate on the shorter stuff. Got a new pb of 20.12 in a 5K at the weekend so a big aim for next year is to try break that 20min mark. At least with the shorter distances all the hard training isn't down to one day can always race again the next week.

Advertisement