Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great stuff! I'm following Meno's plan. Started yesterday. Have a lovely 6 x 800m session to look forward to tomorrow! Did you get a GFA place?

Best of luck with the training and maybe will see you over there.

No GFA, my pb is 3.26 so miles away from that standard.
    Looking forward to getting stuck into regimented training again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Assume a sports travel package then, or a charity place? Tell us more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Congrats ! I'm so jealous Id so love to be doing it. Exciting times ahead :) it's good to see something happening our thread has gotten very dead. My new yr resolution is to start my own . I've been ticking away nicely am braving the dark mornings on my own, it really does set you up for the day. Averaging 35-45 miles over last few weeks. Just taking it one week at a time. Doing a track session once a week and love them. Got a 10k PB at weekend of 41.33 so am definitely reaping the benefits of the marathon fitness. :D GO MENO!!

Well done DOCO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Murph_D wrote: »
    Assume a sports travel package then, or a charity place? Tell us more :)

Nah, nothing fancy like that. It was through a family contact. I'm extremely lucky to have a spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Looking forward to getting stuck into regimented training again.

you've hinted at it before and I defo think now would be a good time to start a log to track the progress....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Congrats ! I'm so jealous Id so love to be doing it. Exciting times ahead :) it's good to see something happening our thread has gotten very dead. My new yr resolution is to start my own . I've been ticking away nicely am braving the dark mornings on my own, it really does set you up for the day. Averaging 35-45 miles over last few weeks. Just taking it one week at a time. Doing a track session once a week and love them. Got a 10k PB at weekend of 41.33 so am definitely reaping the benefits of the marathon fitness. :D GO MENO!!

Fantastic DOCO, you're flying!! Looking forward to following your log :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

13.5 miles this morning. Great to be back doing long runs again!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I posted this over with the 2013 graduates, apologies for my lack of originality. Remember though, you all are still my besties...

Merry Christmas everyone, I hope Santa brings you the best of gear for Christmas and you find 1000mile socks, body glide, gel belts and Garmins galore in your stockings.

Most of all, I hope 2014 is fast and injury free. You know the saying where you remind yourself that training on Christmas Day is good because you're getting one over on your competitors? Well, take it easy, everyone has the same thought! Sit back, eat lots turkey & ham and spend some time with your family!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Happy xmas Killian and everyone else as well. Here's hoping we all have an injury free 2014 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Here's hoping everyone is having a wonderful Christmas n stockings were bursting with gifts galore this morn n tummy full now. enjoy rest of Christmas season n here's to a happy, injury free 2014 packed with plenty PB'S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Hi is it only me needing to update something or has the tracker log not been updated since week 50?

211 days since my last run I got out for 2.5miles today.

I wasn't really supposed to, but it was just 10days earlier than planned so no biggie. Primarily though I've now left the injury in 2013 and will start the new year fresh & ready to go/start again.

Happy New Year everyone, make 2014 the best year you can.

KB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I wasn't really supposed to, but it was just 10days earlier than planned so no biggie. Primarily though I've now left the injury in 2013 and will start the new year fresh & ready to go/start again.

KB

Welcome back mate.

New runner wrote: »
    Hi is it only me needing to update something or has the tracker log not been updated since week 50?

My bad. Got caught up with Christmas madness. Will get the end of year sheets up later tonight.

Nice one Killian. Good to see you back.

Disappointing end to 2013 for me. Lower back/sciatica has had me out of action for the last five or six weeks of the year - the second sustained injury period of the year, so will have to be more careful in 2014 if I want to keep up this running lark.

Apart from that 2013 was a positive year with some great memories - Omagh HM was probably the favourite race of the year in terms of how I felt but also made decent progress at marathon (DCM), 10-mile (Race Series and Bundoran), 5 mile (Raheny, Race Series), and 5k (numerous parkruns). No 10k this year - must address that too next year.

Great to have all the support in this group through the year, especially during the DCM phase with meno's coaching. All the best to everyone for the coming year.

D

Happy new year everyone. All the best in 2014.

I'm hoping to be a bit more involved next year assuming we're still kicking on with this thread :)

I'd imagine this thread has probably run its course. You might be better off with the 2013 group in terms of sustained activity and support.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I'd imagine this thread has probably run its course. You might be better off with the 2013 group in terms of sustained activity and support.

I get that impression myself tbh. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

KB
    Well done. Im going to head out tomorrow...first run since mid October. Cartilage damage on knee. Been doing pilates etc so going to try a few km tomorrow.miss it so much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

KB

OK budddie, hope it all goes well. I am going to be harsh here, but if you are not runnning then keep your diet in check. You don't need to run to be thin so don't use not running as an excuse to put the weight back on.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    OK budddie, hope it all goes well. I am going to be harsh here, but if you are not runnning then keep your diet in check. You don't need to run to be thin so don't use not running as an excuse to put the weight back on.

Thanks Meno, I'm quick to give out the advice so need to be open enough to accept it!

Initially I put on the weight quickly after stopping (over a stone), it was then a real bitch to lose it. But once I got to grips with the injury & not running I worked on it. I'm now lighter than I was when running Limerick & a million times stronger having committed to a decent S&C programme.

One thing being off taught me was that I really missed running, while I started in order to lose weight, I want to get back now because I enjoy it. Still need to stay away from the Nutella sandwiches though!

Time to explore some of the other threads here now to get back up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Thanks Meno, I'm quick to give out the advice so need to be open enough to accept it!

Initially I put on the weight quickly after stopping (over a stone), it was then a real bitch to lose it. But once I got to grips with the injury & not running I worked on it. I'm now lighter than I was when running Limerick & a million times stronger having committed to a decent S&C programme.

One thing being off taught me was that I really missed running, while I started in order to lose weight, I want to get back now because I enjoy it. Still need to stay away from the Nutella sandwiches though!

Great to see you back Killian, best of luck for 2014 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

well done Killian, great to see ye back well. You've done well with weight side from above and sounds like you're in great shape fro more serious training.

I've been struggling back from a PF injury, not able to do much running and put at least a stone on! I'm off to Tom Brennan 5k today as part of Lord Mayors 5 Alive, hoping to get back on track, start as ye mean to go on etc. BUT I know that you can't out train bad diet so no more mince pies for me!

I'm so hoping this start a program that ends on Merrion Sq in Oct.

Anyone else running today?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Well done Killian and Walkedit great to see you back. Good luck with the race Walkedit..... Def not ideal racing weather out there, did 5 miles this morning in torrential rain and howling wind. Luckily I'd arranged to meet some running buddies or I'd have bailed. What I want to know is how can it be physically possible to run in a loop and never once have the wind at your back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Did a session this morning.Very tough in the weather conditions, impossible really to do what I wanted to do so had to cut it short. Still got 9.5 miles of quality training in though...now for a nice hot bath!

Edit: Meant to say good luck to everyone here for 2014.Here's wishing you all lots of injury free running and plenty of PBs.

menoscemo wrote: »

Meno speaks from experience on this. Here he is a few years ago ..

Obviously come on leaps and bounds since then. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Meno speaks from experience on this. Here he is a few years ago ..

Obviously come on leaps and bounds since then. :D

:D That's gas.
    New year's resolution. Don't drink and post :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Happy new year all! Hope everyone here has an injury free/ PB year ahead . Killian good to see ya back and those of you who are still out here's to a speedy recovery!
    I've finally started my own log, it's here http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057115070/1/#post88253521 . By right it should be starting with a logging a run but I've had a very lazy first day of 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Well done Killian and Walkedit great to see you back. Good luck with the race Walkedit..... Def not ideal racing weather out there, did 5 miles this morning in torrential rain and howling wind. Luckily I'd arranged to meet some running buddies or I'd have bailed. What I want to know is how can it be physically possible to run in a loop and never once have the wind at your back?

A delayed response .... sorry i was tired!

Thanks DeeDee, actually the weather fairies (a la parkrun) blessed us when the race began, rain stopped and weather cleared amazingly.

It was better for me then I expected, at 25:39 that's just 30 secs o/side my PB which is from 2012 just after DCM (and before injury) and better than any run in 2013!

I've a long way to go but I'm begun. Ambitions for 2014
    Weight finally get <13 st - today 14:13
    5k <24 mins (soft target) <23 (hard target)
    DCM - to get to the starting Line and <4:30 assuming I am

All the best to everyone with their plans for 2014!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hello and Happy New year all of you fantastic people. After finishing the DCM, I took a bit of a break from running but am back now. Had little motivation as I had no races planned but I now have some in mind.

First 9-miler in an age yesterday around Limerick in beautiful sunny conditions (no, really it was very warm).

Here are some of my goals (not including a stab at beating my 10KM PB).

1) Tralee Half Marathon
    Date: March 16th 2014
    Goal: Beat PB for HM (1:59:48)

2) Great Limerick Run
    Date: May 4th 2014
    Goal: Finish under 4:29:29

3) Dublin City Marathon
    Date: October 27th 2014
    Goal: Undecided.

I'll also do a few more HMs in and around the summer. I really enjoy that distance.

Advertisement