Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thanks Meno. Had to get a cup of tea before I read your post - it was so long :p I'm just as happy not to do Tralee (driving down there = pain in the a$$) but what would you suggest instead? Its probably a bit too soon but I didn't see many options on the runireland calender!

Fast, flat Half Marathon in Bohermeen on 3rd of March next year. Great race and real value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    Fast, flat Half Marathon in Bohermeen on 3rd of March next year. Great race and real value for money.
    Thats in Meath dude :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

If your looking for good 10 mile race up Donegal way, the Cara Bundoran 10 on 9th of March 2013 is a great race. Done it the past two years and could not fault it in anyway. There offering a 10km race next year for first time. 500 runners in 2011, nearly 700 this year.

Thanks tang, yeah will definitely keep that one in mind, not too many 10 mile races about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks Meno. Had to get a cup of tea before I read your post - it was so long :p I'm just as happy not to do Tralee (driving down there = pain in the a$$) but what would you suggest instead? Its probably a bit too soon but I didn't see many options on the runireland calender!

Limerick is on the May Bank Holiday weekend and Cork is on the June BH weekend. Kildare is somewhere between and Portumna and Waterford are a few weeks after Cork.

All of those options are good. There should be big boardsie groups going down to Limerick and Cork (there are also half/relay options and there will be pacers required) and with both being on bank holiday weekends there is usually a booze up afterwards ;)...

Thats in Meath dude :eek:

Is it not closer for you than Tralee?

• Advertisement

Is it not closer for you than Tralee?
    Ya good point :o Its about 50km nearer according to aaireland! I'll keep it in mind thanks :D

runningcalender.eu has some races that run ireland dont have, might be worth a look.

runningcalender.eu has some races that run ireland dont have, might be worth a look.

Yeah I notice a lot of the races haven't finalised dates yet. There is normally a great series of 10 mile races around late winter/spring. Dungarvan, Ballycotton, Craughwell and Mallow spring to mind as venues. Mallow is probably the fastest and flattest of them and is normally in or around St Patrick's weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)
    Maybe join a local running club
    Get some short races + HM in and create some PB!
    Dublin 2013

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)
    learn to run better - master speed/tempo runs etc

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)
    Run couple 5 & 10K
    Half Marathon
    Limerick/Dublin 2013 maybe

Learn to stay injury free (ITB still not settled since DCM) improve marathon time by learning to run better!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Hi I have a question about treadmill running - does it give the same workout/benefit as road running?

I don't mind the cold weather too much but I hate running in the dark evenings - streetlights are just not the same. Using a treadmill would have the added bonus that pace could be carefully controlled.
    My concern is that treadmill running might use slightly different muscles and therefore the quality of the training will be less. (this may of course be totally wrong)

Basically what I am saying is if I thought that a treadmill would give a good enough workout at this stage I would consider midweek evening runs in a gym and get outside at the weekend.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »
    Hi I have a question about treadmill running - does it give the same workout/benefit as road running?

It's not the same as road running that's for sure. There is no wind resistance, very little friction and no twists/turns. That said it is much better than nothing and if you still manage to do the majority of your runs on roads then it is fine.

It is generally considered that treadmill is a bit easier than road running so it is often recommended to put the incline to 1%.

I still prefer the roads in winter. Would you not consider getting yourself a head torch? See here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Thanks for that Meno much appreciated. I never thought about the head torch worth considering - thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Thanks Blockic for getting the ball rolling on this.

Thanks menoscemo for volunteering your guidance to us too. Very much appreciated.

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)
    I'm in total limbo at this point. Taking 2 weeks out to see how the shin feels. (Every ache and pain from the day is gone now except that stubborn throbbing in the shin) The MRI might well be needed. If stress fracture is confirmed then my next goal will be to simply get better but will maintain some fitness through cyling if possible.

If given the all clear - gentle easing back into things. Then I will be tapping the advice here for a 10 month plan towards DCM 13 which I want to give a true crack at.

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)
    As above - build a better base if I can.

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)

DCM 2013 Sub 4:30 at least but will be hoping for sub 4:00
    PB of another stone or so in weight off. :) Am hoping that with not training for marathon it might actually start to shift again.
    Want to break an hour for 10K for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Cheers for Blockic for setting this up, it will be great to stay on track. Also big thanks to memo for looking after us :)
    I can't wait to get back into the swing of things. I'm another one suffering today after over indulgence last night, running beats it any day that's for sure!

For the next few months I aim to stay focused on the shorter stuff, after the high of DCM I was considering doing a Spring marathon in Europe- Rotterdam/ Paris but as Memo said there it could be too soon. Also I'm considering joining a running club, was talking to a friend yesterday about the training they do and it sounds tough :)

I'm going to do a gym class once a week. Hoping to keep running 4/5 days a week and work on speed. Going to follow HH recovery next few week and look to do a race in a few weeks.

I'd love to do another marathon and get a sub 3.30.
    5K : sub 20
    10K : sub 45
    8k: sub 34
    Half marathon : sub 1.40
    These are my targets for the next year, some maybe a bit too ambitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Apologies for my editing and spelling as stated above have a bad head on me today. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Great to see so many on our shiny new thread

Main goal is to get a bit quicker. Definitely another marathon on the cards about the time of year that menoscemo has suggested. I really like the half marathon distance so I plan on a few of those. Possibly some 10ks to try and get some speed in the legs. Only time goal I'm giving myself is under 2hrs for Achill half 2013.

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, etc

I'm in a club so we do hills on a Tuesday and some sort of speed, tempo, fartlek thing on a Thursday. I'll also do a medium and LSR each week. Probably about 20-25 miles (is that a sufficient base until January?) Also going to do some core/strength work and I cycle to work a lot.

HM hope to get under 2 hours did DCM half in 2.10 so realistic
    Marathon PB's not sure what I can aim for. DCM was 4.56 but I was very much running comfortably and to enjoy it, I'm not sure what I could knock out with some work.

I did my first post DCM run today and it went fine during but disaster after. My knee is really painful as is my foot. Knee I reckon is ITB and foot I've no idea, off to the physio with me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck to you all with the Thread and you're in great hands with Meno, it will definitley help to keep you focused and get you out running during the winter. Don't forget to log your weekly runs so you can keep tabs on your running miles.

Enjoy!!:D

As was mentioned / requested in the novices thread before this thread was set up I have done us up a shiny new tracker :)

Long link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dDUtdW9LUmpQSy1qTTJSV2NJZWZyN0E#gid=0

Short link:

http://bit.ly/DCMclass2012

Brief points:

Same format as the last tracker.
    Starting from tomorrow !
    Names in alphabetically.
    Active / Inactive members sections. I'm sure not everyone will want to continue tracking - this will sort itself out over the next few weeks.
    Enter your km or mile figure on the relevant day.
    Enter any comments you might like to make in the comments section.
    There is a starting figure to fill in this week which is your total mileage for the year to date. (Planning on resetting this in Jan)
    No weekly plan as we will all be on seperate ones.
    Room for new joiners down the bottom. Just because you were a lurker on the last thread doesn't mean you can't join in for this one. :)

I've a couple of ideas for when everything settles down. Any feature requests or ideas you guys have please feel free to suggest them.

Do you have to have ran the marathon to join in????

Do you have to have ran the marathon to join in????

No :) - You were most certainly in the class mate.

Edit:

Actually on that point - A lot of people began the journey with us. For various reasons / injuries etc not everyone actually ran the DCM this year. Although the title of the thread says "graduate" it should by no means be restricted to those who actually finished. As far as I'm concerned this thread should be for anyone who was active in the novices thread / spreadsheet tracker at any stage as well as anyone who just ran their first marathon recently (not just DCM12) who would like to get involved with a group of people at the same stage training wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

joe40 wrote: »

I don't mind the cold weather too much but I hate running in the dark evenings - streetlights are just not the same. Using a treadmill would have the added bonus that pace could be carefully controlled.
    My concern is that treadmill running might use slightly different muscles and therefore the quality of the training will be less. (this may of course be totally wrong)

Basically what I am saying is if I thought that a treadmill would give a good enough workout at this stage I would consider midweek evening runs in a gym and get outside at the weekend.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
    My first preference is always to get out on the roads. Saying that though, where I live unless I get in the car and drive to the nearest town every night it's not possible. So, last winter training for the Connemarathon I did all weekday runs on the treadmill and weekend runs on the road. I even went on to PB on a very tough course. IMHO they have their place.

Yay...... tang1 is back in the building :D

Cheers PM, only if ye're sure. Be great to be part of the DCM follow on thanks.

Cheers PM, only if ye're sure. Be great to be part of the DCM follow on thanks.

I sure am :) and can't see Menoscemo (our new shepherd) turning away any sheep either ;) - but if he does I will pass you the notes on the sly :p

I sure am :) and can't see Menoscemo (our new shepherd) turning away any sheep either ;) - but if he does I will pass you the notes on the sly :p

Once he starts beating me in races I'll kick him out of the group. Until then he is welcome.

(that goes for all of you btw :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Thanks to Blockic for starting the thread and to Meno for mentoring!!
    I was raring to start running again..went out Thursday morning and I got such a shock at the aches and pains that flared up in my legs! It was the slowest few miles I think that I have ever run..put me right back in my box!! Since then I've a niggle at the upper end of my ITB..not sure if I need to see a physio or whether to rest and ice it? I went for a couple of swims over the weekend..is this a good idea to stretch out a niggle?

Join a club, achieve a half marathon PB by end March 2013 and a marathon PB by end June 2013.

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strengthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

Strenghten core, master pacing esp during LSR's.

Clocked up 2 half marathons and 2 marathons, and a PB in a 10k.

Looking forward to some winter training!!

menoscemo wrote: »

Once he starts beating me in races I'll kick him out of the group. Until then he is welcome.

(that goes for all of you btw :D)

Only way i'll get close to you is when your pacing me in a race, not racing against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Ideally I just want to keep running to continue to lose weight and be able to eat what I want to in moderation of course !
    However I realise without regular goals I may not enjoy or continue to run like I did for the DCM training.
    I want to be able to break four hours for next Marathon….did 4.15 in DCM. This was my first ever race and I really enjoyed it.

I hope to follow whatever is suggested here by experienced mentors and runners that are at similar level to myself. I only started running in March of this year so I would like to build on the Novice 1 program. I must say that this was excellent for me as I had no injury and it did as it said on the tin. It got me to the start line and got me around. I might do the Clonakilty Half in December as suggested on this thread for a race in a month’s time.

My main goal is a sub four marathon in May/June and then be able to run DCM again next year. I presume I will need to increase 10K, 10mile and Half marathon PB’s to achieve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Thanks Blockic, this is great

Another marathon is the goal and in the meantime beat all my PBs.

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strengthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

Strenghten core, spend a lot of time working the upper half of my body. Keep ticking over, staying healthy.

Another marathon (London April) and unfinished business with my shocking display at 1st DCM.

Beat my PBs:
    5k: 22:09 Rathfarnham
    5m : 38:53 Race Series 2012
    10k: 48:28 BHAA Firhouse
    HM: 1:47:33 Dublin Race Series - Half Marathon
    3/4 Marathon: 2:55:51 Athlone 2012
    Marathon: 4:30:02 DCM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Tx Blockic, brilliant stuff to see this thread - really missed catching up with how everyone doing!
    Tx Menoscemo for being our new coach:)
    PM - lovin the appearance of new training sheet, running this weekend just not the same without having to log it for all the world to see...;)

Wouldn't mind doing something in December to keep me focused for next month. After that off travelling so be matter of trying to keep up the training on the go to be ready for DCM 2013, which is why an Online training group is perfect for me:D

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)
    Want to improve my speed rather than just plodding along. As an asthmatic ex smoker :o the lungs aren't the best so figured I'd better start working on that now so by springtime I'm more comfortable at a higher pace

Aiming for under 55 mins for 10k and 2hrs for HM (59 + 2.06 most recent). DCM target for next year is 4.30 so need to knock 21 mins off

Went out for first runs since DCM this weekend, gentle 3 miles yesterday and slightly faster today. Had thought back to normal but both evenings now legs feel v tired & heavy so obviously still recovering, hoping this time next wk to feel more normal!

Advertisement