Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

iancairns wrote: »
    Interesting. I found out recently the benefits to doing LSR's but your saying its also a benefit to do shortish (6-8) mile runs at a 9 min pace also?
    iancairns wrote: »
    Is this interval training? Sorry noob question, just interested after doing first marathon.
    Never tried LSR's or interval training.
    Can do 10km in 41mins

So should I try same as this?
    1 mile easy then 2 hard?

Have to say I'm just discovering some the benefits of slower running.I'm far from an experienced runner but when you have Meno mentoring us here on this thread & the likes of Ray/Ecoli/MrSlow & other running heavyweights dropping in to offer their advice you can be sure that their advice is spot on.Just have a read of some of their logs & experiences,you won't read any of that in running books.

Don't be afraid to ask so called "noob questions" here,I'm only a blow in here on the thread but (so far anyway!!!) they are a very friendly bunch & everyone has to start somewhere & you can be sure if you have a question about something that there is also some else out there with a similar question so your doing a lot of people a big favour by asking that question.

As regards stretching,my usual warm can be running around the house like a headless chicken trying to get two kids out to school but during the summer I started a bit more stretching after runs & also a bit of foam rolling at night especially after the longer runs & have to say that over time I felt the benefits of it.

Yesterday I got a slow session in the morning and then attended the local winter league last night,probably doing a tad too much at the moment but I definitely won't get out for a run over the next two days & Saturday is probably doubtful as well now but the lure of hitting 2,000 miles for the year is too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

In addition, I do have 'tempo' runs, this would be most similar to your 4x5k @mp - these I run @9min miles

I've set my stall to this one and after Limerick I always to plan to follow a boards plan (whatever plan our group here move on to)

So I'm sorry for not being on your plan, but I am certainly taking in your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

In addition, I do have 'tempo' runs, this would be most similar to your 4x5k @mp - these I run @9min miles

I've set my stall to this one and after Limerick I always to plan to follow a boards plan (whatever plan our group here move on to)

So I'm sorry for not being on your plan, but I am certainly taking in your advice.

OK Cool man. Sorry; I didn't realise you were on a marathon Plan (:eek:). I thought you were doing that workout above as part of a 'speedwork' plan.

So Apologies, work away. I couldn't comment on the effectiveness of the paces given that I haven't read your plan and have no idea of the progress will be throughout it. But work away with that plan if you are happy with it :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Viva la revolution ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

So only 10 days or so to go for most people's December race. The theory is that after a marathon training program we should be in good shape for shorter PB's. So lets test that theory and see how many PB's we can get as a group. How about a table (so we can have fun messing it up!)

Name| Name & Date of Race | Distance | Current PB| Target/Predicted Finish Time| Actual Finish Time
    dazza21ie | Letterkenny Turkey Trott 2nd Dec | 5k | 24:21| 22:59|
    Add Name | | | | |

• Advertisement

Thanks Dazza!! I was going to ask the same question It would be intersting for me to know what you are all training for :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Name| Name & Date of Race | Distance | Current PB| Target/Predicted Finish Time| Actual Finish Time
    blockic |RNLI Reindeer Run Cork - 25th Nov |5k | 21:24|19:29 |
    blockic |Waterford Half Marathon - 1st Dec | Half Marathon|1:32:29 |1:29:59 |
    Add Name| | | | |

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Could end up regretting this, but here goes!
    ncmc|Waterford 1/2 1st Dec | 1/2 marathon| 1.48|1.45 |

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

career_move|Waterford HM - 1st Dec |HM |1:46:39 |1:39:30 |
    ncmc|Waterford HM - 1st Dec |HM |1:48 |1:45 |
    add name| | || |

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

6 miles, including 5 x half mile reps al a Meno. Got caught like a rookie this morning. 'Why dont we go into town for a look around, and you can get a run in on your way home' she said. Cue being dragged into every shop on Grafton St for the day!! Got dropped off 6 miles from home and ran these reps into the poxy wind. Times were, 6.04, 6.16, 6.02, 6,23 & 6.08. Repeats two & four were uphill into the wind. Great workout i must say, even some dry heaving on last one. Now off to drink the dozen bottles of Blue Moon i have had chilling in the fridge for the past month and watch the American Football on Sky.

Happy Thanksgiving Boardsies!!

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    6 miles, including 5 x half mile reps al a Meno. Got caught like a rookie this morning. 'Why dont we go into town for a look around, and you can get a run in on your way home' she said. Cue being dragged into every shop on Grafton St for the day!! Got dropped off 6 miles from home and ran these reps into the poxy wind. Times were, 6.04, 6.16, 6.02, 6,23 & 6.08. Repeats two & four were uphill into the wind. Great workout i must say, even some dry heaving on last one. Now off to drink the dozen bottles of Blue Moon i have had chilling in the fridge for the past month and watch the American Football on Sky.

Nice work :D Enjoy your beers :D

Now off to drink the dozen bottles of Blue Moon i have had chilling in the fridge for the past month and watch the American Football on Sky.

Forgot about the Football actually! Sorted now for the night! Go Lions!!

Blue Moon and me don't go well!

Maybe we should put the table on our tracker so it doesn't clog up the thread....

Just a suggestion!

I'm the new robinph! :p

blockic wrote: »
    Maybe we should put the table on our tracker so it doesn't clog up the thread....

Just a suggestion!

Good idea...maybe you should do that :p:D

Just a suggestion!

My laptop is on the fritz so before you move it can someone add my target to the table?? Can't do it from the phone

Waterford half pb 90.xx target 84.50

Good idea...maybe you should do that :p:D

Haha, I always have a habit of walking into things!

I'll discuss with our spreadsheet executive, PM! :D

blockic |Waterford HM - 1st Dec|HM|1:32:29 |1:29:59 |
    Gavlor|Waterford HM - 1st Dec |HM |1:30 |1:24:50 |
    add name| | || |

Times were, 6.04, 6.16, 6.02, 6,23 & 6.08. Repeats two & four were uphill into the wind.

Jesus tang1, you must have let yourself go. I would have thought you capable of going faster than 12 min/mile for those repeats ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Just a suggestion!

Leave the table alone!! Took 3 attempts to get the bloody thing right!

As its really only going to last for just over a week it shouldn't mess up the thread too much. Probably the only time so many of us will be running over the same weekend until maybe marathon time.

But it is a democracy so whatever Meno says goes with me :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

davemcmahon|Jingle Bells 5k 1st dec |5k |22:38|21:59 |
    add name| | || |

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »

Jesus tang1, you must have let yourself go. I would have thought you capable of going faster than 12 min/mile for those repeats ;)

Did i do them wrong? They were the mile splits through half mile, i'm clueless when it comes to technology. Tried putting laps on my Garmin but couldn't.

Did i do them wrong? They were the mile splits through half mile, i'm clueless when it comes to technology. Tried putting laps on my Garmin but couldn't.

Only messing. I assume you were doing the half miles in just over 3 minutes and the 6:xx is minutes/mile? I guess you are having a bash at a low 19?

Only messing. I assume you were doing the half miles in just over 3 minutes and the 6:xx is minutes/mile? I guess you are having a bash at a low 19?

Yeah, bit over 3 & 6.xx is min/miles. Plan at giving low 19 a bash at Tom Brennan 5k on New Years Day hopefully.

Yeah, bit over 3 & 6.xx is min/miles. Plan at giving low 19 a bash at Tom Brennan 5k on New Years Day hopefully.
    Might well see you there

I've just realised that I've been reading all about everybody's running plans, past and pains for the last few months even tho I've yet to share my story!

35 yr old male that realise my premiership dreams would not be fulfilled about 3 years ago. Started winding down soccer career and doing a small bit of running. Nothing structured just 3 or 4 miles every couple of weeks. 3 yrs ago I did a 40 min 10k and then did ballybunion half in 1.40 with feck all training and could barely walk after it due to severe case of itbs. No matter what I did afterwards I couldn't go over 4 miles without being in agony.

Sooo I invested in a road bike and became across between Sean Kelly, Stephen roche and a drunk cycling home on a Saturday night. I really got into the cycling and did 8 150k+ sportives between 2010 and 2011.

I went for a 4 mile run on Stephens day last year and despite almost having a heart attack (I was shocked at how wrecked I was during it) , my knees seemed perfect. I decided to gradually up the mileage whilst still cycling and was itbs free!! 2 of
    My buddies were doing the Waterford marathon so in early march I decided to loosely follow a programme and ended up doing my first marathon in 3.26.

After that I was well and truley hooked.

I've since ran a 90 minute half, 30 minute 5 mile and a 3.09 dcm :)

My target next year is to run a sub 3 hour marathon which I think with the right training is well within my reach.

I'm interested in sports psychology and i really believe in mind over body when it comes to endurance sports. It's got me over mountain tops after 120k on a bike and through marathons so there must be something in it!!

Sorry for the essay but now you know Gavlor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

davemcmahon|Jingle Bells 5k 1st dec |5k |22:38|21:59 |
    Miguelk|TBC |5k |23:06|20:40 |
    add name| | || |

Will be taking a big chunk off my PB anyway.

My target was always 21 mins but feck it I'm going for sub 20, training is going good.

20:XX is prob more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Might well see you there

I'll be there in support, it's a cracking race and they don't get much flatter.

Mr Slow wrote: »

I'll be there in support, it's a cracking race and they don't get much flatter.

Shall be sporting my new Boards t-shirt hopefully so give a holar if you see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Shall be sporting my new Boards t-shirt hopefully so give a holar if you see one.

Will do, if I can make it out through the blue and white blur as you pass at speed! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Don't know what to do with a table but its Waterford Half for me. Current PB is 1.57.03.

I'd like to be 4seconds faster!

Some kind soul might add me to a table...

Advertisement