Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Name| Name & Date of Race | Distance | Current PB| Target/Predicted Finish Time| Actual Finish Time
    dazza21ie | Letterkenny Turkey Trott 2nd Dec | 5k | 24:21| 22:59|
    blockic |RNLI Reindeer Run Cork - 25th Nov |5k | 21:24|19:29 |
    blockic |Waterford HM - 1st Dec|HM|1:32:29 |1:29:59 |
    career_move|Waterford HM - 1st Dec |HM |1:46:39 |1:39:30 |
    ncmc|Waterford HM - 1st Dec |HM |1:48 |1:45 |
    Gavlor|Waterford HM - 1st Dec |HM |1:30 |1:24:50 |
    davemcmahon|Jingle Bells 5k 1st dec |5k |22:38|21:59 |
    Miguelk|TBC |5k |23:06|20:40 |
    KillianByrne| Waterford HM - 1st Dec| HM|1:57:03| 1:56:59|
    add name| | || |

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Edit: Dazza beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Leave the table alone!! Took 3 attempts to get the bloody thing right!

As its really only going to last for just over a week it shouldn't mess up the thread too much. Probably the only time so many of us will be running over the same weekend until maybe marathon time.

But it is a democracy so whatever Meno says goes with me :D.

Tables are so last year - sheets are the "in" thing. ;)

Check out the new tab for my suggested format.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dDUtdW9LUmpQSy1qTTJSV2NJZWZyN0E#gid=3

I actually think that it should last over a week - why not keep a tab open as a record of all races and progress over the year ? My idea would be to sort it by date so that the latest / upcoming races would be grouped together at the top or bottom whichever suits.

I will of course bow to democracy if the awful, nasty looking and difficult for a lot of people to fill in tables are given the vote :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I actually think that it should last over a week - why not keep a tab open as a record of all races and progress over the year ? My idea would be to sort it by date so that the latest / upcoming races would be grouped together at the top or bottom whichever suits.

I will of course bow to democracy if the awful, nasty looking and difficult for a lot of people to fill in tables are given the vote :D

Hows the leg PM?

tang1 wrote: »
    Hows the leg PM?

In one word "frustrating"

I still haven't gotten a run in. This weeks plans were scuppered by some work issues which delayed the run. But during the delayed period I did have a 500 metre run whilst in a hurry somewhere and if I'm honest with myself the pain was still there.

I'm most definitely going out for a run on Monday. I want to see how progress is going / has gone. If there isn't progress will have to bite the bullet and head for the MRI etc. Am still hopeful though that won't be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

In one word "frustrating"

I still haven't gotten a run in. This weeks plans were scuppered by some work issues which delayed the run. But during the delayed period I did have a 500 metre run whilst in a hurry somewhere and if I'm honest with myself the pain was still there.

I'm most definitely going out for a run on Monday. I want to see how progress is going / has gone. If there isn't progress will have to bite the bullet and head for the MRI etc. Am still hopeful though that won't be needed.

That sucks, your still a legend in my eyes for doing DCM. Hopefully as you said it wont come down to getting an MRI. Take it slow Monday if you manage to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Name| Name & Date of Race | Distance | Current PB| Target/Predicted Finish Time| Actual Finish Time
    docjewel| Waterford HM - 1st Dec| HM|1:51:52| 1:44:59|
    add name| | || |

would love to get a little closer to 1:42ish but will see on the day how we're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

Tab on the sheet works well I think.. Personally I think the tables take away from the thread.

I've some questions which maybe someone can help me with:
    Since the marathon I've started incorporating most of my runs as my work commute (6k or so each way) which gives me more family time in the evenings, this is working pretty well so far. I'm hoping to build up to 4 days in and out per week. As I'm commuting, I need to bring towels and some gear with me and I can't really see myself doing much in the way of speed work with a bag on my back. I'm also hoping to have a LSR at the weekend. This would mean 5 days of easy paced running.

My questions are: Is doing so much of my training at an easy pace like this going to help me maintain or even improve? Or am I wasting my time a bit by not have at least one or two faster sessions during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Agree! :D

Think this is a great idea, we can log all races and look back at the progress this time next year, will make for pleasant reading im sure!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dDUtdW9LUmpQSy1qTTJSV2NJZWZyN0E#gid=3

The protests to save the Table are deafening :D.

Thanks for the updated sheet PM, if there was a boardsie award for sheet of the year then you would get our vote.

Hope the injury comes good for you. More importantly though when is the new arrival due?

• Advertisement

So I've tried 4 times this week to get up at 7 and go for my run before work. Each time I failed! :o The snooze button is the worst invention ever!!:)

I just have to give up and admit im just not a morning person! The bed is just too warm when it looks soo cold outside.

Failed again this morning, even though I can't do my run tonight because I'm heading home to country land where street lights are non-existant!

Looks like today's run will be tomorrow as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »
    So I've tried 4 times this week to get up at 7 and go for my run before work. Each time I failed! :o The snooze button is the worst invention ever!!:)

I just have to give up and admit im just not a morning person! The bed is just too warm when it looks soo cold outside.

Failed again this morning, even though I can't do my run tonight because I'm heading home to country land where street lights are non-existant!

No shame in that. Morning runners are weirdo's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Gavlor wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D

blockic wrote: »

Plus 1 million! I am a disaster for morning runs, which is strange, cos I walk the dog in the morning no problem, but just can't stretch to a run :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Alanm

HTFU the lot of you ;)

I used to hate running first thing, now I have my gear ready and bag packed and ready to go. Fall out of bed, lash the gear on and go.. Am generally half way into work before I properly wake up!

Gavlor wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D

This explains everything!!! :p

So did my 7 mile session last night, 1 mile easy, 2 HMP, 1 easy, 2 HMP, 1 easy. Never have I needed so much HTFU to get out running! It was cold and windy, the hubby had lit a giant fire, him and the dog were curled up in front of it, he was like “leave the run for today” No I said, will feel guilty reading everyone else’s logs and feeling like a fat lazy lump! So off I go into the cold night :(.

I figured out that my Garmin does do all these wonderful things that other peoples do, I was just too much of a luddite to figure out how to use it! So I now know how to set it up that it automatically does mile laps and also set it up to alert me if I went slower than 8 min mile or faster than 7 min mile (yeah right!) for my fast miles. God, reading the manual is a wonderful thing! Better 9 months late than never! :D

My laps were as follows:

Mile 1 – 10:18
    Mile 2 – 7:53
    Mile 3 – 7:46
    Mile 4 – 9:37
    Mile 5 – 7:53
    Mile 6 – 7:45
    Mile 7 – 9:45

Enjoyed it in a sadistic sort of way, but hard to see how I can keep that HMP pace up for 13 miles next Saturday! :o

Was going to do a 2 mile recovery run this morning…. But yeah, like Blocky, the snooze was hit, the run was cancelled. Not going to get it done this evening as I am driving up home, so will do my 11 mile LSR tomorrow and maybe 2 mile recovery on Sunday instead.

Alanm wrote: »
    As I'm commuting, I need to bring towels and some gear with me and I can't really see myself doing much in the way of speed work with a bag on my back. I'm also hoping to have a LSR at the weekend. This would mean 5 days of easy paced running.

Just an idea for this. The day before your 'fast' run, why dont you bring in the towel and the rest of what you need the following day on your easy run.

Then you wont have to carry anything in on the 'fast' run day...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Walkedit| Parkrun 5K - 1st/8th Dec| 5K|25:10| 23:59|
    add name| | || |

Looks like a Parkrun, date TBC -may be away on 1st
    I'm not sure what possible but I'd be chuffed to get sub 24
    My result WILL read 23:XX even if XX > 59

Walkedit wrote: »
    add name| | || |

Looks like a Parkrun, date TBC -may be away on 1st
    I'm not sure what possible but I'd be chuffed to get sub 24
    My result WILL read 23:XX even if XX > 59

Updating a Table

I had to root around to be sure about how to do this so here's my quick guide, it's not too difficult really, just fiddly!

Find latest updated table and Quote to reply
    Then delete the ""QUOTE"" tags including Square Brackets from the beginning and end of the message , if you don't do this then the next person will not be able to edit the table to add their entry and it will appear like table above.
    ..and usually remove previous posters text after table also.

Then if adding an entry, simply copy the last entry and paste it in underneath, then change contents to your own, I've put in a few more template lines in (hope that's OK?) that you can just update directly(Overtype text with your entry - leaving the BARS (|)between each alone), when they are gone its copy /paste time again

name| event| dist|PB| plannedtime|
    add name| | || |

After
    I've just realised that it's even more fiddly then I thought and on some browsers (like my Samsung SIII) this post looks wrong as it takes the ref to Quotes as being start of a Quote, made a tweak above hope that sorts it

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^

The sheet is much easier ;):D

Vote Sheet ! :p

The protests to save the Table are deafening :D.

Thanks for the updated sheet PM, if there was a boardsie award for sheet of the year then you would get our vote.

Hope the injury comes good for you. More importantly though when is the new arrival due?

Only deafening because you're shouting like a raving lunatic :D

New arrival due in March. Have the dreaded foetal development scan today so fingers crossed for no issues. Will most likely have confirmed boy or girl by 2.00pm though !

Ya I think the sheet is the way to go. *cough*cough* :)

As it will allow us keep a record of all upcoming races and targets.

And as Alanm said, I think tables take away from the fluency of the thread.

There is a link to the sheet in the OP.

New arrival due in March. Have the dreaded foetal development scan today so fingers crossed for no issues. Will most likely have confirmed boy or girl by 2.00pm though !

Don't worry I have given up my fight to protect the endangered species that is the table.

Best of luck with the scan. March gives you plenty of time to get back out running and build a base before you need to cope on less sleep. Only 4 weeks or so to go in our house. As an early morning runner (or as Gavlor has labelled us "weirdos") it is going to take some adjustment.

^^^^^^^^^

The sheet is much easier ;):D

Vote Sheet ! :p

+1 on sheets
    meanwhile i dont wamt anyone feeling left out!

Don't worry I have given up my fight to protect the endangered species that is the table.

Best of luck with the scan. March gives you plenty of time to get back out running and build a base before you need to cope on less sleep. Only 4 weeks or so to go in our house. As an early morning runner (or as Gavlor has labelled us "weirdos") it is going to take some adjustment.
    Nice early Christmas present for you! Best of luck with it!

ncmc wrote: »
    Nice early Christmas present for you! Best of luck with it!

+1 on best of luck with new arrivals
    can we look forward to recorded PBs whilst pushing buggies!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Much luck PM. Every scan is a dreaded scan until the baby's born. With our high risk twins we had scans every two weeks. I'd feel relief after each scan for a few days, and then back to worrying about the next scan. Of course, as it often is, everything was fine.

Are you going to be one of those parents that goes for a run while pushing the buggy? :eek:

Edit: Damn you walkedIT. You need to change your name to joggedIT, beating me with the quip like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Children - Pain and pleasure in equal measure.

Best of luck.:)

• Advertisement

guinang wrote: »

Much luck PM. Every scan is a dreaded scan until the baby's born. With our high risk twins we had scans every two weeks. I'd feel relief after each scan for a few days, and then back to worrying about the next scan. Of course, as it often is, everything was fine.

Are you going to be one of those parents that goes for a run while pushing the buggy? :eek:

Edit: Damn you walkedIT. You need to change your name to joggedIT, beating me with the quip like that!

its not often im first, even the buggy boys are normally faster!

Advertisement