Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

All went well. No issues found. I've a healthy son on the way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

All went well. No issues found. I've a healthy son on the way. :)

Arra PM, you forgot the spoiler alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic wrote: »
    This explains everything!!! :p

ME:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjdD0z636vkOEO1cr6jVQeJHPJLaCAWG_-x23KgZoZ5C5g67iSSg

BLOCKY:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSR71e2oTsJi2YZMhoHqK0VQPjpgUC4jIc4ZzlTfVpi-kww8Y5XdREYqf4d

Need I say any more ???

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

ME:

BLOCKY:

Need I say any more ???
    Brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ME:

That's an awful heel-strike you have there C_M.
    You might want to look into getting that fixed :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Need I say any more ???

That can't be right, where are the horses? and the sun doesn't shine in Laois!

career_move 1 , blockic 0.... we'll cross paths again...and next time i'll be ready!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

ME:

BLOCKY:

Need I say any more ???
    Anyone else think those are really cool sheets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wow. 47 pages in this thread already - too unwieldy for me. Is there some serious advice in here among all this chit chat? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

murphd77 wrote: »
    Wow. 47 pages in this thread already - too unwieldy for me. Is there some serious advice in here among all this chit chat? :)

CP -> Edit Options -> 40 Posts per page
    Only 17 pages for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Run slow, REAL slow, before 5.30 am. Then go sh1t or bust in races after having 3 or 4 pints two nights previous.

This apparently is the method for pb city ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

menoscemo wrote: »
    +1 If you are fit enough to run you are fit enough to race. Not racing a race just because you figure you aren't in shape to get a PB is a bad mental way to approach races. Get into this way of thinking and it will be easy to give up in future races when things aren't going your way.

If of course you are sick/injured then you shouldn't run at all.

Racing 100% will give you a good honest assessment of where you are right now fitness wise which is invaluable for judging your training paces etc.

I'd say you folks with doubts are likely to give yourselves a pleasant surprise if you give the race 100%. Also 13.1 miles is too far for a recovery run ;)

+1 ^^ and you want to see how all the marathon training has improved your basic fitness and this will be reflected in your racing times.

There are a good few of you with niggles and injuries. Don't forget never run through pain and always get these niggles & injuries sorted by a professional...one session is all it may take to get you sorted and back training to your full potential!!!

And I love the fact that alot more of you are getting the "slow" concept. It comes to us all eventually!!!:D (took me a while too and still sometimes it slips the mind):o

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

guinang wrote: »
    Are you going to be one of those parents that goes for a run while pushing the buggy? :eek:

Youll be like Garry Crossan next year PM

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/marathons-run-in-the-family-for-races-youngest-participant-3277608.html

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Murph - question for you while I have you here....

Are you still running the Royal canal? Think that was you...

Thinking of hopping off my train in the morn at castlenock and running in. Good/bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Right, added myself to the upcoming race sheet (yay the excel sheet won out:D)
    Was thinking of starting with the 2hr pacers in Waterford next week - then did the Wed session on Meno's plan and shocked how hard found just running 2 miles at that pace so revising my projections and aiming for 3 min improvement..:(

Ok, so was running in the horrendous wind, soaked to the skin and hadn't eaten much but STILL, so worrying that only 2 miles of it was tough.... I think im going backwards... When the Garmin beeped for 6 miles I thought i'd cry with happiness that got to nicely jog home... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

So I've managed a grand sum total of 4 runs since DCM - was sick after the marathon and was just getting back into running, however sick again this week. Off work all week and bored out of my mind. Really missing running and dread to think the state I'll be in when I do get out :( Some great training going on reading through the thread, will hopefully be joining in very soon! think I'll do the Reindeer run in Marley Park and the Fat Turkey run on 29th.

Got my number for Waterford.....200px-Bundesautobahn_720_number.svg.png:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The people of Waterford appreciate the warning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Got in a 4 mile run this evening. Its the first since last saturday. i ran on treadmill and still have a sore throat but the lethargic feeling is gone thankfully. will try and get up to the park for a long run tomorrow or sunday. anyone going up to the park for a slow long run, give us a shout. i might stick it in the training log.

Gavlor wrote: »
    The people of Waterford appreciate the warning :D
    :D:D:D The least I can do :p

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Is it just me or is that a PB omen for you. You"ll be well inside 1:39 jf you race that pace. @100% early Xmas

• Advertisement

Hi folks, I've posted in the Group Training log for anyone interested in a long run in the Phoenix park tomorrow morning: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81660782#post81660782

Walkedit wrote: »
    Is it just me or is that a PB omen for you. You"ll be well inside 1:39 jf you race that pace. @100% early Xmas
    Haha never copped that....brilliant thanks :D:D:D

hmmmmm....... Think i'm gonna have to backtrack on myself and say you early starters have something........ Was feeling all smug having my 11 miles out of the way by 10.30 this morning........;) Still wouldn't be doing any mad 5.30am starts now, but on a weekend it's a plus!

Headed back over to Malahide Parkrun again. Gorgeous morning, frost on the ground made the park look all Christmassy and warmed up quite quickly once got going. Nice 5 miles run round the park with WalkedIt beforehand then left him to do his volunteering bit. Almost missed the run due to a last minute toilet stop required:eek: (cue some banging on the doors of visitor centre which was closed - luckily a nice woman working there saved me by letting me in to use the staff one!).

Beat last wk's time by a minute (which wouldn't be hard seen as had to stop 5 times last wk to dry wretch..). New PB now of 27.27 according to Garmin, waiting on email with official result. Actually thought had done much better - checked the time at 3 mile mark and delighted with 26.36... was thinking course was just slightly longer than should be until WalkedIt pointed out that no, 3 miles does not equal 5k, duh :o:o:o:o Let's just all choose a measurement and stick to it, switching miles & km gets confusing.......

rasher_m wrote: »
    Got in a 4 mile run this evening. Its the first since last saturday. i ran on treadmill and still have a sore throat but the lethargic feeling is gone thankfully. will try and get up to the park for a long run tomorrow or sunday. anyone going up to the park for a slow long run, give us a shout. i might stick it in the training log.

Good to hear you're feeling better - you be back fighting fit for Waterford you think?
    Enjoy your LSR run tomorrow - got mine out of the way this morning as early start to do some Hill Walking in Glendalough (Cross training at its best :))

FiiFii wrote: »
    Good to hear you're feeling better - you be back fighting fit for Waterford you think?
    Enjoy your LSR run tomorrow - got mine out of the way this morning as early start to do some Hill Walking in Glendalough (Cross training at its best :))

Well done with your 5k Parkrun, thats great!
    Thx, I'm okay, so will have a crack at the long run tomorrow and see how I feel as I go along. Hopefully will be on for Waterford next week.
    The Glendalough walk sounds so much more inviting than an lsr ;)
    Have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

9miles around a cold & crisp dun Laoghaire. Really enjoy morning runs in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Well done all some great long runs put in this weekend already . I'm very jealous of you all. This resting the knee is driving me mad. There's a 10k locally tomo and I'm so tempted to go, want to cash in on the marathon fitness before its too late.
    But I know that would be so silly of me. A weeks rest might be just what my knee needs. Did some core work out of P&D book today some tough ones in there. Am really enjoying reading the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Well done all some great long runs put in this weekend already . I'm very jealous of you all. This resting the knee is driving me mad. There's a 10k locally tomo and I'm so tempted to go, want to cash in on the marathon fitness before its too late.
    But I know that would be so silly of me. A weeks rest might be just what my knee needs. Did some core work out of P&D book today some tough ones in there. Am really enjoying reading the book.

It must be tough to be sitting things out but it's got to take a while for marathon fitness to 'leave' the body? Can you bike or swim? Anything to get the heart pumping?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I know exactly how you feel, dying to run. Out in the car today I passed millions of people running (ok maybe not millions but it seemed like that) Bloomin knees, pity we need them to run! Did 30 mins core work this afternoon to get rid of some energy. I bring some novices out on a Sunday morning for 4-5 miles slow, am going to go in the morning to see how the knee is feeling. Hope yours is on the mend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

I am in same boat. Knee seems better but Had surgery on thur so no running for two weeks. Realising how sane running keeps me!!! Walking an hour or so every day but just not the same. Miss the stress relief that comes with running. Walking today and watching all the runners on the canal with envy.:'(

Advertisement