Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Just reading through a few pages & theres a lot of people with injuries which I'd imagine we all picked up in Dublin without knowing it - i know that I could have torn my cruciate in the last few miles & I wouldnt have known it (slight exaggaration maybe:eek: but you know what I mean). I've been back up on the horse for the last 2 1/2 weeks & I upped the mileage slightly this week but every now & again I seem to have a slight pain in the hamstring area on my right leg - the strange thing is that it comes & goes during the run & goes completely once Im finished. I couldnt really define it to one place as sometimes I think its coming from my hip & other times its behind my knee,I've stretched the life out of it but it picked away again on last nights 10k. I foam rolled it & gave it a good doing with one of those massage machines while ago as I'm due to go for a LSR tomorrow, so I'll see how it goes & maybe pop into a physio if it doesnt go away, its not getting any worse so I'm puzzled with what it is - the joys:confused::confused::confused:.
    Its hard to believe that its nearly 4 weeks since Dublin, I thought that it would never come & bang its here & gone - its a bit like santa all over again:eek::eek: Well done to anyone whos banging away at 5 & 10k's & the best of luck next week in Waherford(not a typo - make sure to have a pint bottle for me & bust those pb's:D:D) The Phoenix park must be glorious for a run these mornings, you guys in Dublin are so lucky to have that as a training route - certainly one of the highlights for me of the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

I have been quiet in this thread since dcm but running is good.

Back up to 4 days a week but things have changed a bit.

Joined Donadea RC so that has doing core training on Monday nights. I had to take a 5 min break on the 1st night before I got sick everyone. My 1st ever core/bootcamp session.

Tuesday I just did a short run on my own to losen the legs after Monday but normally would be around a 10km run with the club. Different groups didn't pace and distance.

Thursday is intervals which is also new to me so that was hard but will improve.

Saturday is like Tuesday different people different distances and pace.

Enjoying it as everyone is very approachable and very social end of it than serious even though they have some excellent runners.

Funny one was I was running with one of the lads yesterday who does marathons etc and asked what my kind of background in running have I and I just said I did the marathon and he said well that answers that so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Cold and hammering rain here in the Sunny South East. Here goes 10 slow miles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Got in the 11.3 miles up in the park this morning, was great to have the company for the run. Nose running like a tap but feeling a hell of a lot better than last week.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Cold and hammering rain here in the Sunny South East. Here goes 10 slow miles...

16.3k done in 1.23 - way too fast but speaker on my 305 is fubar so can't hear the alerts. Never before got so wet running. Up to my ankles in muddy water at one stage. Think I'm ready for hell and back now.

PS kudos to the drivers, and there were a good few, who went out of their way not to drive through puddles and splash me. Damnation to those couple who seemed to deliberately, or at least negligently, do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

16.3k done in 1.23 - way too fast but speaker on my 305 is fubar so can't hear the alerts. Never before got so wet running. Up to my ankles in muddy water at one stage. Think I'm ready for hell and back now.

PS kudos to the drivers, and there were a good few, who went out of their way not to drive through puddles and splash me. Damnation to those couple who seemed to deliberately, or at least negligently, do it.
    Ya we have those in Laois too - sometimes I wonder do they see me at all or are they just plain ignorant :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Sheet updated - will put in the plan later when Meno posts it.

The pruning of inactive members will be done over the next couple of days. I'm under a bit of time pressue tonight so have only done the essentials but I did remember to change the dates :p

The upcoming races tab has been sorted by date. Best of luck to all running next weekend !

Thanks PM. How is the leg these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have looked at the sheet and see that almost everyone is racing this weekend, so the plan this week is to simply get to the start line as fresh and sharp as possible. There's nothing we can really do this week to get any fitter anyway so no session this week. Even for those not racing it should be a 'step back' week as we have been building the miles for the last 3 weeks
    So the plan for this week is as follows:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|3 mile easy|4 miles easy with strides|rest|2m easy (optional)|RACE|2 miles recovery

Fridays run is optional. I always find it good to stretch the legs for a few miles the day before a race, but if you prefer to rest that's cool.

Wednesdays strides can either be 6 x 20 seconds (walk back recoveries) at the end of your run or 1 set of Pyramid strides if you prefer it.

If you are not racing then do your normal LSR on the weekend.

I'll post up a few racing tips later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

What a difference a day makes to the weather,yesterday morning out early for my run,frost everywhere,the countryside white,lovely.
    Today raining(although raining is really an understatement!!),roads flooded,watery cow sh*t on roads,although to be fair to most of the drivers I met today most slowed down & gave me a bit of space.
    Despite the conditions it was nice to come home & see that my neighbour had left a nice bottle of wine for me(changed a puncture for her during the week).
    Except later she texted the OH & there gone out on a girlies evening so the wine will have to wait,maybe next Sat nite after the Half Marathon???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

+1. Hardest run ever weather wise. Jaysus it was brutal.

10 miles in 1hr 25. Little quicker than i was aiming for but i just didn't want to be out there too much longer.

Strange thing was, i never meet people on my lsr's normally. Met 3 walkers and another runner out in that hell today, feckin' crazies;).

Good week in general, hit all the runs and mileage, so happy enough.

Bring on the "blah" run:).

menoscemo wrote: »
    I have looked at the sheet and see that almost everyone is racing this weekend, so the plan this week is to simply get to the start line as fresh and sharp as possible. There's nothing we can really do this week to get any fitter anyway so no session this week. Even for those not racing it should be a 'step back' week as we have been building the miles for the last 3 weeks
    So the plan for this week is as follows:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|3 mile easy|4 miles easy with strides|rest|2m easy (optional)|RACE|2 miles recovery

Fridays run is optional. I always find it good to stretch the legs for a few miles the day before a race, but if you prefer to rest that's cool.

Wednesdays strides can either be 6 x 20 seconds (walk back recoveries) at the end of your run or 1 set of Pyramid strides if you prefer it.

If you are not racing then do your normal LSR on the weekend.

I'll post up a few racing tips later in the week.

Sorry for a possibly dumb question meno, but what do you mean by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

upthe19th wrote: »
    Sorry for a possibly dumb question meno, but what do you mean by this.

I figured someone might ask that :D
    It simply means finish off your 4 miles easy first, then do your strides.
    The strides should be about 20seconds (or 80-100m- doesn't need to be exact). So pick a nice flat piece of ground, do your first stride, walk back to the start point as your recovery and repeat 6 times.

Remember folks: strides are a nice controlled pace, not a flat out sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

Sheet updated - will put in the plan later when Meno posts it.

The pruning of inactive members will be done over the next couple of days. I'm under a bit of time pressue tonight so have only done the essentials but I did remember to change the dates :p

The upcoming races tab has been sorted by date. Best of luck to all running next weekend !

Hi there, I'm one of hte inactive ones at the moment. Not a single run since DCM but hoping to get the all clear this evening. Fingers crossed!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

curr33 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm one of hte inactive ones at the moment. Not a single run since DCM but hoping to get the all clear this evening. Fingers crossed!!:)

Good luck Curr33 :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Tried a very easy 3 miles this morning after a week of not running and doing my ankle strengthening exercises. The ankle was fine while running but is niggly again now, so frustrating :(

Off to physio on Wednesday, I'm guessing my 10km next weekend will be a non-starter. Bloody frustrated but I am determined to get over this and back on the road injury-free...well done on all the great running this week guys, lucky sods :p Hopefully I'll be back joining you soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Good luck curr!

Sorry to hear that runchick. Its such a sickner ya feel fine walking around and once ya start to run pains back again. I think there will be allot of physios with big spending money this Xmas.:)

Thanks Killian for suggestion re cross training. I think Ill have to give in and get on the bike in the gym. I have a road bike, a very dusty one :) but its not feasible to hit the roads in the dark on one. So Ill focus on core work and a bit of cycling for the week. I'm trying to get an appointment with a highly regarded physio. The physio I had used although competent I don't think she has much knowledge of running, had told me I could keep running when I clearly shouldn't have. So I'm hoping I'll get into this other physio this week who has huge athletics experience. I remember memo saying that good physios are worth their weight in gold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Did 4.5 very slow miles yesterday and spent the rest of the day hobbling around. Today is no better so will take another full week off and reassess then. I work on the third floor of a building and the fire alarm went off this morning, as I left to evacuate all I could think of was ah feck, three flights of stairs down on this bloody knee. I'm starting to doubt my physio too, he told me it was ok to run on, it's definitely not! So PM don't remove me from sheet, I'm about to become inactivate. I'll have to content myself with reading about your running instead.

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    Did 4.5 very slow miles yesterday and spent the rest of the day hobbling around. Today is no better so will take another full week off and reassess then. I work on the third floor of a building and the fire alarm went off this morning, as I left to evacuate all I could think of was ah feck, three flights of stairs down on this bloody knee. I'm starting to doubt my physio too, he told me it was ok to run on, it's definitely not! So PM don't remove me from sheet, I'm about to become inactivate. I'll have to content myself with reading about your running instead.

Sorry to hear this deedee...very frustrating. Take the rest, You will come back all the stronger for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

So frustrating.:(

• Advertisement

Thanks PM. How is the leg these days?

Not much improvement unfortunately. Looks like another couple of weeks out at least. :(

No running here either :p

Totally understand your frustration.

Not much improvement unfortunately. Looks like another couple of weeks out at least. :(
    Sorry to hear that :(

These are the graphs from my run yesterday in the rain. Although I felt like I was going way too fast, I was "only" doing 5:26/km, whereas to get my target pace in the HM on Saturday I'd need to be doing 4:40/km :eek: It's a big step up....

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Skipped my LSR, spent the weekend foam rolling nearly every conceivable muscle - everything is so tight - calves, hamstrings, adductors, shins. Process of elimination on what caused it - started strength/conditioning a few weeks ago, pilates last week - was blaiming these but I'm leaning towards the introduction of speedwork and poor form. poor form when doing speed work
    [edit: I mean the form is the problem, not the speedwork itself]

I reckon the effect of any form problems are multiplied with speed and my intervals took their toll.

Anyone else tightening up? I wouldn't say im "injured" just stopping short of it to loosen out, couple of slow miles now today to see how I'm fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

These are the graphs from my run yesterday in the rain. Although I felt like I was going way too fast, I was "only" doing 5:26/km, whereas to get my target pace in the HM on Saturday I'd need to be doing 4:40/km :eek: It's a big step up....

Bare in mind that you were threading water on Sunday! That must be worth 45 seconds per km ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

miguelk wrote: »
    Murph - question for you while I have you here....

Are you still running the Royal canal? Think that was you...

Thinking of hopping off my train in the morn at castlenock and running in. Good/bad idea?

Hi Miguel - did you do this in the end? As long as you are running towards the city you will be fine - it's a spectacular run especially at the beginning where you pass over the M50 on the aqueduct. The towpath is in great condition all the way into town (although as you probably know there is section at the end, between North Strand and East Wall, where the towpath is inaccessible and you have to bypass it.

The other direction is not so great - unfortunately the Castleknock station is very close to the deep cut section of the canal where the towpath is uneven and overgrown, and high (up to about 10m) above the canal itself. I'm not into trail running so I find this section unpleasant, especially in wet weather like we've been having plenty of lately.

Let us know how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

murphd77 wrote: »
    Hi Miguel - did you do this in the end? As long as you are running towards the city you will be fine - it's a spectacular run especially at the beginning where you pass over the M50 on the aqueduct. The towpath is in great condition all the way into town (although as you probably know there is section at the end, between North Strand and East Wall, where the towpath is inaccessible and you have to bypass it.

The other direction is not so great - unfortunately the Castleknock station is very close to the deep cut section of the canal where the towpath is uneven and overgrown, and high (up to about 10m) above the canal itself. I'm not into trail running so I find this section unpleasant, especially in wet weather like we've been having plenty of lately.

Hi,

I've run the Royal Canal from near Lucan in to Ashtown and find it to be great.

As Murph says the section when you are running high above the water does require that you watch your feet as the path is uneven and there are tree roots, but aside from that area it's a lovely run and feels quite wild and away from it all.

I tied the Royal Canal into a long run loop by going Lucan- Royal Canal to Ashtown - through Phoenix Park - Chapelizod - Ballyfermot - Grand Canal - Lucan and it proved to be one of my favorite runs of the year (at about 22 miles)

I must give it another go now and follow the Royal all the way into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

murphd77 wrote: »

Not yet, but this sounds like a great option to have now for a run, looking forward to it.

Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Started reading ChiRunning as mentioned by Meno. Liking the ideas in there so far. I've put 'Advanced Marathoning' book on hold until I read this. Form first then speedwork, and I think from reading a lot of your recent posts regarding injuries I'd just advise that many of us consider the same. We are still novices.. muscles developing... and knowledge growing.. but it takes time. So might be a good idea to look at improving form & core before we jump into some of this speed training. especially since many of us are still carying injuries of some sort from DCM training & the big day. I went to the physio on Sat morning, he loosened out my calves again.. and found my feet were tight (news to me!).. he hammered the soles of my feet & it's still sore! no haven't ran in a week... but will get out for a 11 mile lsr tomorrow.

Advertisement