Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭sassyj

For anyone considering Limerick marathon on May 5th, accommodation seems to be booking up quickly, so worth making a reservation just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »

That can't be right, where are the horses? and the sun doesn't shine in Laois!

career_move 1 , blockic 0.... we'll cross paths again...and next time i'll be ready!:cool:

You've been very quiet ever since cm got the better of you!!

How is the sub 90 looking??

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Taking Meno's wise comments that my 4.30 DCM was an endurance issue, I've reassessed my training plan which is now based around my efforts at 1.57 half time rather than the slower DCM time

It has produced (in my mind) a much more realistic plan to get me to Limerick with the LSR's still slow at slightly more than 10min mile but the real difference is that the speed work and tempo runs are at sub 9 times.

As per Meno's wishes ;-), I will now be tired after my speed sessions, pyramids and tempo runs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Taking Meno's wise comments that my 4.30 DCM was an endurance issue, I've reassessed my training plan which is now based around my efforts at 1.57 half time rather than the slower DCM time

It has produced (in my mind) a much more realistic plan to get me to Limerick with the LSR's still slow at slightly more than 10min mile but the real difference is that the speed work and tempo runs are at sub 9 times.

As per Meno's wishes ;-), I will now be tired after my speed sessions, pyramids and tempo runs!

Good stuff but I feel it is best to race Waterford flat out and get an Idea of your current ability.
    It would be best to hold off for a week and base your training times around your Waterford result...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    You've been very quiet ever since cm got the better of you!!

How is the sub 90 looking??

I've gone into hiding!!

Done the 5k race anyway on Sunday and had mixed emotions after it. Missed target by 1 second! Race report here

I'm lacking in confidence about the sub 90 currently. My housemate ran the course at the weekend and she said there are a number of long drags and is not really PB territory. I done my 1:32 in Athlone when it was DEAD flat so I'm not sure if it is on for me or not.

I will go out at sub 90 pace anyway and see how long I last.

How are you set?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've gone into hiding!!

Done the 5k race anyway on Sunday and had mixed emotions after it. Missed target by 1 second! Race report here

I'm lacking in confidence about the sub 90 currently. My housemate ran the course at the weekend and she said there are a number of long drags and is not really PB territory. I done my 1:32 in Athlone when it was DEAD flat so I'm not sure if it is on for me or not.

How are you set?

Waterford is a fast course. It always has been.
    It's exactly the same course as last year (barring the lack of track finish) except in reverse (it's an 'out and back' course). The hills are the same in terms of elevation gain whether you take them from one side or another. I think the direction you take them this year means that the rises are a bit sharper but on the positive you will have a long downhill stretch afterwards (instead of the sharp downhill we had last year).
    Basically its flat for four miles a few sharp hills in miles 5+6 and then all flat and downhill to the finish. Think positive and just try to get through the tough middle part in tact and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I've gone into hiding!!

How are you set?

Didnt know you had a log,thats a great result. well done, youre so young as well, keep this up and youll have lots of wins ahead of you

menoscemo wrote: »

It's exactly the same course as last year (barring the lack of track finish) except in reverse (it's an 'out and back' course). The hills are the same in terms of elevation gain whether you take them from one side or another. I think the direction you take them this year means that the rises are a bit sharper but on the positive you will have a long downhill stretch afterwards (instead of the sharp downhill we had last year).
    Basically its flat for four miles a few sharp hills in miles 5+6 and then all flat and downhill to the finish. Think positive and just try to get through the tough middle part in tact and you'll be grand.

+1 ignore the warnings on the Waterford half tread, this course is fast. It's dead flat for the first 6 miles, onto a switchback and a sharpish drag for 3/4 mile or so up and down for a short bit after that followed by nice fast downhill.

My main warning for this on is to make sure you push ahead of the pace group around mile ten. The last mile will be slow if you are in a group. Very little space for overtaking unless you fancy a bit of XC. The wind can be a big factor on this route but it's only going to be 8-10kph on Saturday :)

I've gone into hiding!!

How are you set?

Only 26??? Jerk!!

You'll be hoovering me up around mile 11

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

sassyj wrote: »
    For anyone considering Limerick marathon on May 5th, accommodation seems to be booking up quickly, so worth making a reservation just in case

If anyone needs help deciding on which hotels etc to pick in relation to the start line give me a shout.

• Advertisement

rasher_m wrote: »
    Didnt know you had a log,thats a great result. well done, youre so young as well, keep this up and youll have lots of wins ahead of you

Thanks rasher, said I better get one going so I don't get lazy!:)
    +1 ignore the warnings on the Waterford half tread, this course is fast.

Cool, looked up the course on mapmyrun there, once ya get to 9miles it's all downhill and flat so if we can keep on target to that point it should be grand.

I see they have moved the start back to the RSC now, don't think it impacts the rest of the course as it still finishes in the same place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Are ye (throwing this open to the floor) doing the pyramid or the 20 second thingees tomorrow?

Are ye (throwing this open to the floor) doing the pyramid or the 20 second thingees tomorrow?

Yeah I'm going to do one in the middle of the run instead of the strides at the end.

<Was going to insert smart comment here but would probably get burned again by picture woman>

Race on Saturday so it's a handy 5 miles tomoro for me @ race pace + 30 secs followed by 3 miles easy on thurs eve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

It will all depend on who kind mother nature is tonight and how slippy its going to be in the morning, kinda like those pyramids now that blocky told us how to do them right.
    Yeah I'm going to do one in the middle of the run instead of the strides at the end.

<Was going to insert smart comment here but would probably get burned again by picture woman>[/

Wise move, she might have more pictures to shame you!

Good stuff but I feel it is best to race Waterford flat out and get an Idea of your current ability.
    It would be best to hold off for a week and base your training times around your Waterford result...

Yes, that's the plan. I just couldnt wait until Saturday afternoon to put my new time into the computer so used the old one! :D

dazza21ie wrote: »
    It will all depend on who kind mother nature is tonight and how slippy its going to be in the morning, kinda like those pyramids now that blocky told us how to do them right.

Is it not past yere bedtime? :p

early_brid_coffee.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

^^^^ A tame effort but emo49.gif for trying :p

You're joking. Just updated the spreadsheet and am currently on 999.84km - I really should have ducked, dived & weaved a bit more!

You're joking. Just updated the spreadsheet and am currently on 999.84km - I really should have ducked, dived & weaved a bit more!

That's what you get for measuring in kilometres ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Definitely pyramids for me this evening...find them great.

At the moment I am considering running before work when it dry but it would mean getting up at 5 :eek:. Will try it and see how it goes.

Have decided that I'm going for it in waterford. Was going for a more measured approach but now I'm throwing caution to the wind (or throwing up in a ditch :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

upthe19th wrote: »
    Definitely pyramids for me this evening...find them great.

At the moment I am considering running before work when it dry but it would mean getting up at 5 :eek:. Will try it and see how it goes.

Have decided that I'm going for it in waterford. Was going for a more measured approach but now I'm throwing caution to the wind (or throwing up in a ditch :))

Welcome to the morning runners club, Career Move will send you your badge ( After she feeds the horses and mucks out! )

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Welcome to the morning runners club, Career Move will send you your badge ( After she feeds the horses and mucks out! )

Cheers dazza:D. We'll see how it goes...not fully committed yet.

upthe19th wrote: »

Cheers dazza:D. We'll see how it goes...not fully committed yet.

GET OUT...... Before its too late. Picture woman and dazzler are developing a zombie cult

GET OUT...... Before its too late. Picture woman and dazzler are developing a zombie cult

To be honest Gavlor, at 5 in the morning there wouldn't be much work involved in turning me into a zombie.

Morning all.

whats the jackanory on Waterford? are we meeting beforehand, would a local like to make a suggestion. I'll be driving down on the morning so will park in a retail park as suggested.

will I wear a red carnation in my hair?

Morning all.

whats the jackanory on Waterford? are we meeting beforehand, would a local like to make a suggestion. I'll be driving down on the morning so will park in a retail park as suggested.

will I wear a red carnation in my hair?

Definitely up for meeting. Would after suit better instead of before?

I can do either anyway. Any local Blaahs have a good location near the start/finish where we could meet?

I think people are gathering in the Kingfisher fitness club after the race for a bit according to the info in the post. Would that suit?

Don't be shy now people! :)

Definitely up for meeting. Would after suit better instead of before?

I can do either anyway. Any local Blaahs have a good location near the start/finish where we could meet?

I think people are gathering in the Kingfisher fitness club after the race for a bit according to the info in the post. Would that suit?

Don't be shy now people! :)

I'm planning on parking in woodies car park approx 500 meters on city centre side of rsc. I should be there around 10.15. Keep an eye out for a 6ft 3, well built, dark, handsome trucker.

I'll be standing beside him

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Hope everyones prep for upcoming races is going well. For those doing Waterford Sat I'm very envious of you all.
    To my fellow injured knee buddies, I went to see the other physio and it's runners knee I have. I've to go back to her again next week and no running between now and then :( I'm very frustrated that if the original physio I'd gone to the week after DCM had diagnosed this back then I'd be well back running now after my rest. :mad: Also the physio had put a big question mark over my Paris marathon, reckons that 2 marathons in 6months isn't a good idea for me. :( Said she will reassess me in new year. On a plus side it's great to be confident in your physio and to trust them, I feel that she really knew what she was on about as oppossed to my previous one.
    So it's nearly a full week without cardio and I feel rotten from doing nothing. Hoping to get on a stationary bike for a while this evening. Least it might keep me going. Hopefully the weekend will be good so I can get out on road bike.
    On a positive note it could be a million times worse !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend, esp HM in W'ford crew.

Sorry to hear about the various ongoing injuries - rest, recuperate and then come back stronger

I'm waiting out another week or two before I push the racing button as it will only be a 5K where I hope to improve on slow'ish PB (fast for me) 25:10. Either Parkrun on 9th or CHAC Xmas cracker on 16th or both!

After a bit of dithering I finally made it up to Clonliffe Harriers my local AC. Not sure what I expected exactly (super fit aliens) but it was really good. I joined it with two great lad who couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. Both had DCM form from previous years 2:34 and 3:xx so serious runners clearly. Did a 5k road warmup - messed up timing so not sure how slow/quick. Then joined them on track where they did a 400m and 4x800m at 5k pace with 1 min recoveries. I just did the first 400m of the 8's with longer recovery. After jogged home 1.5m as cool down.

I was getting their take on my ambitions to go sub 4 over next two FM's and they were sanguine I'd say, straight up I need to lose another stone (I agree) and they reckoned with higher mileage and the speed work and some faster miles that will happen. Also that I need to do some faster running as 10-11 mpm won't make sub 4 but again they reckoned with more consistent training and right mix that would come too.

Hoping to make it along at least weekly as schedule clashes won't allow much more.

Also got back on bike this week after a few weeks off it since before DCM, lit up like Xmas in the dark I'm lovin it again but this morn it was feckin cold, fingers nearly froze and slippy too, anyway since I never do other xtrain I need my daily hour of cycling to back up the running

(ramble over it's back ti work!)

Advertisement