Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Hope everyones prep for upcoming races is going well. For those doing Waterford Sat I'm very envious of you all.
    To my fellow injured knee buddies, I went to see the other physio and it's runners knee I have. I've to go back to her again next week and no running between now and then :( I'm very frustrated that if the original physio I'd gone to the week after DCM had diagnosed this back then I'd be well back running now after my rest. :mad: Also the physio had put a big question mark over my Paris marathon, reckons that 2 marathons in 6months isn't a good idea for me. :( Said she will reassess me in new year. On a plus side it's great to be confident in your physio and to trust them, I feel that she really knew what she was on about as oppossed to my previous one.
    So it's nearly a full week without cardio and I feel rotten from doing nothing. Hoping to get on a stationary bike for a while this evening. Least it might keep me going. Hopefully the weekend will be good so I can get out on road bike.
    On a positive note it could be a million times worse !
    Hard luck on the diagnosis DOCO, it’s so frustrating when an incorrect diagnosis sets you back. Totally unrelated, but my sister broke her shoulder 3 months ago and has been to 4 different physio’s and has been told 4 different things. One told her to do exercises until she the limit of her pain threshold, the next nearly had a heart attack when she heard that and told her she should be doing hardly any exercises. She’s happy with the woman she is seeing now, but she reckons doing the severe exercises set her back by several weeks. Glad you’re happy with your current physio, hope she gets you back in tip top shape in plenty of time for Paris. What exactly is runners knee?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

entered Dungarvan 10 miler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Trampas wrote: »

Shall see ya there, looks like a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

blockic wrote: »
    Shall see ya there, looks like a great race.

Its is a great race:D

On a side note there is over 1,000 entries for this already so if anyone is thinking about doing it'd be a good idea to sign up fast as the quoata is 1,700:)

Also I see that the entry fees for Cork City Marathon & Half Marathon go up after this weekend for anyone definitely going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

On the running front its been a quite few days for me,little docjewel has been ill again so no school for him (& also very little sleep) so no running for me so far this week :( although I do hope to get to the local winter league tonight & knock off a few of the cobwebs:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Morning all.

whats the jackanory on Waterford? are we meeting beforehand, would a local like to make a suggestion. I'll be driving down on the morning so will park in a retail park as suggested.

will I wear a red carnation in my hair?

No, I said I would be wearing that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

So, is everyone planning a Race at the end of January?

For those Dublin Based, the Raheny 5 mile is on the same day as the Dungarvan 10 mile race (27th January).

After the races this weekend I can maybe start designing a training programme to build up to either of the two above races. The general programme will be the same just slightly different wednesday sessions.

After that I can let the Spring Marathoners off to follow their Marathon programmes.

What do ye all think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gavlor wrote: »

I'm planning on parking in woodies car park approx 500 meters on city centre side of rsc. I should be there around 10.15. Keep an eye out for a 6ft 3, well built, dark, handsome trucker.

I'll be standing beside him
    :)

I've to get to Enniscorthy Sat pm for am NCT (car, not me, so a reasonable chance of passing) so I won't be able to hang around too long afterwards (will be having the mandatory refreshments alright). But I'd be thinking of parking in Woodies around the same time. Do we need a sign or just go round accosting random strangers?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Woodies it is so. I've some work to do at the Leinster game that evening, but will certainly hang around if there's a cup of tea going cheap. Cake is a good way to make me stay somewhere as well.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »

I've to get to Enniscorthy Sat pm for am NCT (car, not me, so a reasonable chance of passing) so I won't be able to hang around too long afterwards (will be having the mandatory refreshments alright). But I'd be thinking of parking in Woodies around the same time. Do we need a sign or just go round accosting random strangers?

I found whenever I went to the Papal Cross carpark that you spot the people straight away, they kind of are like yourself...looking around them for who they're supposed to be meeting.

Though Blockic had a Handkerchief hanging from his pocket.

Do we need a sign or just go round accosting random strangers?

Cool I'll park up in Woodies so also. Should be there from 10.10

I'll set out my stall so. Will be wearing a blue addidas hoodie with an illuminous orange hat roaming around the car park so ya can't miss me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

menoscemo wrote: »

For those Dublin Based, the Raheny 5 mile is on the same day as the Dungarvan 10 mile race (27th January).

After the races this weekend I can maybe start designing a training programme to build up to either of the two above races. The general programme will be the same just slightly different wednesday sessions.

After that I can let the Spring Marathoners off to follow their Marathon programmes.

What do ye all think?
    Sounds good. Thanks Meno :D

That sounds like fun to me ;)

I'll set out my stall so. Will be wearing a blue addidas hoodie with an illuminous orange hat roaming around the car park so ya can't miss me!
    I told ya....blue isn't your colour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

What do ye all think?

sounds good meno. I won't be racing til 10k in enniscorthy in february, but that would put me in that time window i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Woodies it is so...prob be there just after 10. I will roar out "boardsies assemble" and we'll take it from there:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Went to physio today and have to say I'm relieved to be in safe hands. I agree with the previous posts about getting a physio you can trust, mine's worth his weight in gold I reckon.

My ankle is a bit irritated but not too bad. I've also been having hip pain since DCM so now know its a strained hip flexor muscle, again nothing too bad. So I'm now armed with new exercises, allowed to run 2 to 4 miles 4 times a week and hopefully should be ready to train fully again in a few weeks. I really needed the guidance - I'd been doing lunges and squats thinking I could work on strengthening while off the road - turns out this was aggravating the hip flexor :rolleyes: So I now feel better informed and optimistic about a spring marathon.

So no 10km for me this weekend but think I'll aim for a local 5km close to Christmas and then one of the races at the end of Jan. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with the training plan when I get back in to it ;)

Best of luck to all racing at the weekend, especially the Waterford HM, I'm really looking forward to reading the race reports:)

Runchick wrote: »
    allowed to run 2 to 4 miles 4 times a week and hopefully should be ready to train fully again in a few weeks. I

Great news, take it handy for the first few runs and you will be back on track in no time!

That sounds like fun to me ;)

Horsey girl who likes accosting random strangers in car parks? I think I'm looking forward to meeting you CM!

What do ye all think?

Dungarvan sounds great, nice timing as it will be a good motivation to get off the couch after Christmas. Plus it’s only 45 mins from me which is handy!

Any half marathons you’d recommend around Feb/Mar?

The bad news is, I am looking dodgy for Waterford this weekend. There is a good chance I may have to work as we have a stock take this weekend. I knew it was a possibility, but was hoping I could get out of it, but not sure how possible that is now.

Stupid work getting in the way of my sub 3:30 marathon dreams :mad::mad::mad:

ncmc wrote: »

The only half I know of around those times in the Bohermeen (Co Meath) one in March.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056785036

10 milers are quite similar to halfs though, so you could also maybe look at Mallow 10 mile? http://www.mallowac.ie/10%20mile/10%20Mile.htm

• Advertisement

10 milers are quite similar to halfs though, so you could also maybe look at Mallow 10 mile? http://www.mallowac.ie/10%20mile/10%20Mile.htm
    18th March :eek: The sneaky devils ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

The only half I know of around those times in the Bohermeen (Co Meath) one in March.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056785036

There's the Kinvara Rock and Road Half Marathon and 10K in early March I think. Haven't done it myself but seems to be professional and is run/sponsored by Amphibian King which is a good sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Horsey girl who likes accosting random strangers in car parks? I think I'm looking forward to meeting you CM!
    I'm going to just shut up now.......for a change :D

There's the Kinvara Rock and Road Half Marathon and 10K in early March I think. Haven't done it myself but seems to be professional and is run/sponsored by Amphibian King which is a good sign!

Yeah actually, I have heard good things about that race...

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

ncmc wrote: »

I'm doing a half in Malta at the end of February. it may be 24 or possibly 25 degrees. I'll think of you lot while running in shorts & a t shirt.

I'm doing a half in Malta at the end of February. it may be 24 or possibly 25 degrees. I'll think of you lot while running in shorts & a t shirt.

We'll think of you sweating your balls off in your fancy shorts :)

That's telling ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Unfortuately I won't be in waterford this weekend to cheer u all on but best of luck to everyone racing this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

What do ye all think?

Sounds great Meno hope to do The Great Heath 10K 20th Jan

• Advertisement

Willie42 wrote: »
    Sounds great Meno hope to do The Great Heath 10K 20th Jan

That's cool. I'll have a 10k option to the session too in that case. Just remind me closer to the race as I will have to programme your 'peak' workout a week previous to the others. You will have to do your toughest session on the week ending January 13th while the Dungarvan/Raheny runners will have it a week later...

Advertisement