Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Planning Heath 10k 20th jan and hell and back 10k challenge on 27th! Anyone doing rush 10k this Sunday? Did 11m jog home from work this eve at 11min pace, slowest I ever went, but my legs feel relatively good after it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hi Meno. I'll be doing the Raheny 5 mile/8k.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    So, is everyone planning a Race at the end of January?

For those Dublin Based, the Raheny 5 mile is on the same day as the Dungarvan 10 mile race (27th January).

After the races this weekend I can maybe start designing a training programme to build up to either of the two above races. The general programme will be the same just slightly different wednesday sessions.

After that I can let the Spring Marathoners off to follow their Marathon programmes.

What do ye all think?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

murphd77 wrote: »
    Hi Meno. I'll be doing the Raheny 5 mile/8k.
    Me too for Raheny five.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

dechol wrote: »
    Me too for Raheny five.

And me

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

I'll be doing the Dungarvan10 at the end of January(just have to make sure the OH can organise that Sunday off:o) & hopefully Ballycotton10 also(OH is really gonna love me :D)

Got out to the local winter league last night.Had dinner not long before hand which was not ideal.Really felt the dinner for the first mile:( but once the body settled down I got into a nice stride.Managed to complete the 5.2 mile course in 37:19 which would be a time that would put me inside my 5mile PB :cool:.
    The idea of the league is that you improve your time gradually every week & I felt I had another bit left in the tank but was also conscious of the Half Mararthon on Saturday.

Out early this morning for an easy 3 miles.It pays to have the running clothes ready from the night before,out the door before you even realise its a little chilly out there:D.

Roll on Saturday & the best of Luck to everyone that is racing this weekend.

My sympathies to everyone that are carrying injuries at the moment,I know how my previous sporting life when missing big/important games through injury,it really is the pits But you will live to fight another Day.

I was just looking at my own log & for all the running I've done this year the Half Marathon on Saturday will only be my 8th race of the year(& probably last too) something I'm gonna try & change next year as I know there are benefits to more racing or at least running in a group to help with speed work(of corse this will all be combined with Meno's training program;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

ncmc wrote: »
    Hard luck on the diagnosis DOCO, it’s so frustrating when an incorrect diagnosis sets you back. Totally unrelated, but my sister broke her shoulder 3 months ago and has been to 4 different physio’s and has been told 4 different things. One told her to do exercises until she the limit of her pain threshold, the next nearly had a heart attack when she heard that and told her she should be doing hardly any exercises. She’s happy with the woman she is seeing now, but she reckons doing the severe exercises set her back by several weeks. Glad you’re happy with your current physio, hope she gets you back in tip top shape in plenty of time for Paris. What exactly is runners knee?

Thanks ncmc. Your poor sister thats dreadful, it's amazing how different physios give you different advice. Hope shes well on the mend now!
    Runners knee is: Forty-two percent of all overuse injuries affect the knee joint, and patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS), or simply "runner's knee," is the most common overuse injury among runners. It occurs when a mistracking kneecap (patella) irritates the femoral groove in which it rests on the thighbone (femur). Pinpointing a single cause is difficult, says Stephen Pribut, DPM, a sports podiatrist who specializes in running injuries. It could be a biomechanical problem—the patella may be larger on the outside than it is on the inside, it may sit too high in the femoral groove, or it may dislocate easily. Also, worn cartilage in the knee joint reduces shock absorption, high-arched feet provide less cushioning, and flat feet or knees that turn in or out excessively can pull the patella sideways. There are also muscular causes. Tight hamstring and calf muscles put pressure on the knee, and weak quadriceps muscles can cause the patella to track out of alignment. Just the repetitive force of a normal running stride alone can be enough to provoke an attack.
    Sorry about the big definition but copy and paste was easiest way of describing it. As you can see its very common. Number one thing to do to treat it is REST!:( I did a few miles on road bike yesterday evening, great to get the fresh air but felt like it wasn't a proper workout as oppossed to running.
    As regards halfs in March, I too have heard good things about Kinvara. Also the Craughwell 10miles on March 24th, I can't recommend it enough. Tremendously organised, great atmosphere, brilliant value. For €20 we had chip timing, a great goody bag with an elverys water bottle, t-shirt and a really cool medal. As for the food afterwards, I've never seen such a spread....from homemade brown bread, smoked salmon, every kind of sandwich, cupcakes, chocolate cake an endlist list. Getting hungry thinking of it. They had a marquee full of food :D Ill def be back :p It's usually on Paddys weekend but luckily it's a week later this year, so pencil it in people!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Plan on doing Raheny 5 as well. Sub 40 goal. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

docjewel wrote: »
    I'll be doing the Dungarvan10 at the end of January(just have to make sure the OH can organise that Sunday off:o) & hopefully Ballycotton10 also(OH is really gonna love me :D)

Got out to the local winter league last night.Had dinner not long before hand which was not ideal.Really felt the dinner for the first mile:( but once the body settled down I got into a nice stride.Managed to complete the 5.2 mile course in 37:19 which would be a time that would put me inside my 5mile PB :cool:.
    The idea of the league is that you improve your time gradually every week & I felt I had another bit left in the tank but was also conscious of the Half Mararthon on Saturday.

Out early this morning for an easy 3 miles.It pays to have the running clothes ready from the night before,out the door before you even realise its a little chilly out there:D.

Roll on Saturday & the best of Luck to everyone that is racing this weekend.

My sympathies to everyone that are carrying injuries at the moment,I know how my previous sporting life when missing big/important games through injury,it really is the pits But you will live to fight another Day.

I was just looking at my own log & for all the running I've done this year the Half Marathon on Saturday will only be my 8th race of the year(& probably last too) something I'm gonna try & change next year as I know there are benefits to more racing or at least running in a group to help with speed work(of corse this will all be combined with Meno's training program;))
    Just realised I won’t be able to do the Dungarvan 10, have my nephew’s christening that day. Think I will aim for the Ballycotton 10 instead and maybe throw a 10k in there in Jan/Feb.

I have only done 4 races all year! And I’m looking dodgy for the Waterford ½ on Saturday, so I will really have to work on that next year. I need to concentrate on getting my shorter distances faster. At the moment, I am beginning to think I am built more for endurance than for speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Think I will aim for the Ballycotton 10 instead

You would want to send in for an application form pronto with a SAE if you want to run this. Need to post in the form on the 3rd Dec to have any chance of getting in.

Thanks Blocky, just realised that, so am frantically stamping stamped addressed envelopes as we speak! Hopefully I will be in time. Like I said, I'm not built for speed, so typical me leaving it to the last minute! A work colleague is doing it with me so will be nice to have a familiar face there.

Wonder why this particular race is so popular?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Just realised I won’t be able to do the Dungarvan 10, have my nephew’s christening that day. Think I will aim for the Ballycotton 10 instead and maybe throw a 10k in there in Jan/Feb.

I have only done 4 races all year! And I’m looking dodgy for the Waterford ½ on Saturday, so I will really have to work on that next year. I need to concentrate on getting my shorter distances faster. At the moment, I am beginning to think I am built more for endurance than for speed!

think Dungarvan have a 10k at the end of February,its run on a lot it the 10mile course.

Wonder why this particular race is so popular?

Probably just the history of it. Has been going for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Janey, yis are all very well organisised for races in 2013.

I'm planning on the Bohermeen half on March 3rd, 4 weeks before Paris.

Sorry to hear about all the injury woes, hope the rest does you all good.

I'm driving down with a friend to Waterford on Saturday, so we'll hope to park up in Woodies beforehand.

coalshed wrote: »
    I'm planning on the Bohermeen half on March 3rd.

Will be running Bohermeen too. It is getting plenty praise!

So our rendez vous is Woodies Saturday morning @ 10.15. Pity our boards t-shirts will only be a day late!

Are people going to brave it in t-shirts for the race? Looks like it will be a bit nippy!

Not sure if i'm going to wear a bodywarmer or not yet...to be decided!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

blockic wrote: »

Are people going to brave it in t-shirts for the race? Looks like it will be a bit nippy!

At a minimum I'm planning on wearing my yellow long-sleeve Aldi shirt with my club running vest over it, plus a nice yellow woolly hat I got in the 2011 Enniscorthy 10k. Possibility I may wear my tights, will see. Won't be letting fashion get in the way of being warm, I can assure you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

So our rendez vous is Woodies Saturday morning @ 10.15. Pity our boards t-shirts will only be a day late!

Hmmm decisions, decisions.......at the moment I'm leaning towards the Athlone 3/4 t-shirt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I always wear the underarmour, have different weights for different weather. Will make a call on the shorts v tights on arrival! Gloves & hat decision in the car park as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I always wear the underarmour, have different weights for different weather. Will make a call on the shorts v tights on arrival! Gloves & hat decision in the car park as well.
    I bought an under armour cold weather top a few weeks ago, it's a joy to wear, kept me toasty during DCM.

Will go with hat gloves and shorts too i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

As promised I am just going to give you guys a few tips I have learned from racing over the last 4 years and what I find works best for me. Shorter races are a lot different to marathons and so preparation should be a little different:

Breakfast:

For a 5k/10k with an early start I would rarely eat anything before the race. I would generally have a coffee when I get up and maybe a slice of toast or piece of fruit. If you are doing it right, your body will be working overtime almost as soon as the race begins so the last thing it needs is undigested food in the stomach!! If you are going to have breakfast I advise something very light and at least 3 hours before the start of the race.

For a Half marathon you will likely get away with a more substantial breakfast as without anything you will likely feel hungry in the race. I would still advise you tot eat at least 3 hours before the race though.

Pre Race
    It's always best to arrive well before the race to avoid any last minute panicking. Register, have a chat with the other runners, go to the toilet etc. You'll be nervous so try to stay as relaxed as possible and keep your mind of the nerves.

Warm up
    Whatever the distance, try to do a mile really slow before the race to loosen the legs. I also advise that you get in 4-6 strides (about 20 seconds) as close as possible to the start of the race. This will get the legs used to the pace you will be running off at. Take a slow jog or even walk between the strides. It is good to do these as you are walking/jogging up to the start line.

Race
    Start off at your goal pace, try not to go any faster especially in the first mile or 2 of the half or first few K of a 5/10k. Just like in a marathon you will pay if you race off too fast. That said, if after a third/half of the race you still feel the pace is very comfortable you can start to push on. Don't be afraid of smashing your goal. This isn't a goal race so go for broke. If you fail it is no big deal because you will learn a lot from the experience.

Pain
    You should feel pain and discomfort at some stage in the race. If not, you are doing it wrong :D Races are about pushing yourself to the max, it's the time to learn how to deal with discomfort.
    As a rule of thumb you will start feeling a lot of pain around the halfway point. If I start getting demons in my head at this point in a race (generally telling me to slow down or drop out) I know I am doing it right ;). If I don't get them to near the end I always feel at the end that I could have ran faster.

Remember it is normal to feel pain and get demons. Don't use them as an excuse to slow down or stop, rather see it a sign you are doing it right and dig deeper. Everyone feels the pain in short races, even the tops guys. There is a saying in running that 'it never gets easier, you just get faster'. Here is a great post from Tunguska (one of the fastest guys on boards) about pain:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74567981&postcount=1269
    tunguska wrote: »
    There is pain involved but its a satisfying kind of pain. Daniels' has a mantra: Stay relaxed through discomfort. I train and race by this. If Im in a race and the pain hits, all I say to myself is, stay relaxed through discomfort, and my body instantly relaxes, which has the knock on effect of reducing the pain to a bareable level. Pain comes in phases, at least thats what I've noticed. In the half marathon last weekend at about 6miles gone it started to hurt, but I knew from experience that it was just a phase and that it would pass. If I had reacted to that pain and slowed in order to decrease its intensity on me, I would've blown the whole deal. I stayed relaxed and let the pain do its thing, it passed and at 10miles gone the same thing happened, again I stayed relaxed. If you accept the pain, dont fight it, but dont let it control your actions, if you stay relaxed and dont panic, I wont say pain becomes your friend but it definitely becomes bareable and less scary.

Race
    When the going gets tough, pick a runner around you who looks to be going strong and try to stick with them. If you feel them slowing, push past them, even challenge them to a sprint finish at the end. Racing someone will take your mind of your pain and will also get your competitive juices flowing. The likelihood is you will push your opponent to the max and they will appreciate the challenge. It might be a silent race, your opponent might not even know you are racing but wherever you are in the field or whatever your goal time is you will likely run better by racing someone. Of course if you are crushing your opponent, don't be afraid to push on and pick a new adversary :pac:

Recovery
    Try to get a cool down mile (at least one) after the race, very slowly. It will help with recovery and your legs will thank you for it the next day. If that is not possible (I am terrible at this myself :o) Make sure to get out the day after the race for a few recovery miles.

Finally: Best of luck everyone. I am looking forward to the reports.

P.S. If any of you are doing Jingle Bells, I'll be racing myself so don't be afraid to say hello. I'll be wearing a red/yellow Tallaght AC singlet, glasses and short grey hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Gavlor wrote: »
    I've been moaning at work about the fact we work our asses off but rarely get a freebie night out. Sooo, the boss in his pre Scrooge spirit has organised a night for us in the big smoke.... 2 days before the Waterford half :(

Back in Hotel having had just one pint all night.

I'm ashamed of myself, what has this running lark done to me?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Sickener...well you're gonna have to smash that PB so...make it easier to accept:)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Sounds good. Going to go with the underarmour and a t-shirt, compression shorts and my normal shorts..and the hat. I seem to heat up quickly after a mile or 2 on runs, even when its cold.

Great willpower Gavlor, you will feel so smug when you smash your PB tomorrow and even more so when you listen to all the tales of drunken woe on Monday!

Speaking of ‘what has all this running done to me’ I was watching Elementary last night with the rather lovely Johnny Lee Miller in it, and at one stage he was walking around shirtless. Rather than admiring his toned and rugged physique, I was too busy noticing a large ’26.2’ tattooed on his back. So off to Google I go and it turns out that the lovely Mr Lee Miller, ran the London Marathon in 2008 in 3hrs 1 minute. Cue me being unable to concentrate on the programme for about 20 minutes because I kept remarking to my husband, ‘I bet he was gutted about that minute!’ This running lark is definitely addictive and mind bending stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Just popping in to wish you all the very best of luck tomorrow, whether it's the Jingle Bells or The Waterford Half, I'm sure you'll all do really, really well.

For those of you still sidelined with injury fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and remember all this time off will stand to you when you come back stronger next year.

If I were as clever as Career move my post would include the perfect photo and a dancing emoticon, unfortunately you'll have to make do with Smiley Faces
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »

P.S. If any of you are doing Jingle Bells, I'll be racing myself so don't be afraid to say hello. I'll be wearing a red/yellow Tallaght AC singlet, riding a piebald, glasses, pronounced six county accent and short grey hair.

fyp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Grrrrr :( week from hell in work, mad stressed, little sleep, diet atrocious, nothing ready for tomorrow, only one run in this week so far, leg acting up, sooooo unprepared for waterford HM tomorrow.. rant rant rant... I'm blaming people here for encouraging me to sign up :p On the plus side, def not nervous about tomorrow, more like just wanna get it over with!

Looking forward to meeting more 'virtual' people from here in person ;)
    Think i'm getting the train down from Dublin which gets in bout quarter to 10 so will wander down to Woodies if can find it - i'll be the girl in the bright pink hoody looking lost...:p
    Base layer and lots of layers that can peal off is def the way to go, is seriosuly BRRRRRRRRRRRR out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

FiiFii - you should be aware that Woodies is a fair walk from the station - you'd prob be best getting a city bus from the quay on the city side of the river going out the Cork Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    FiiFii - you should be aware that Woodies is a fair walk from the station - you'd prob be best getting a city bus from the quay on the city side of the river going out the Cork Road.

Thanks a mill - should probably check these things out on Google maps tonight or i'll get completely lost and miss the race :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good luck to you all in Waterford tmw!

I just registered for rush 10k on Sunday instead of the Santa dash next weekend. It'll keep me off the sauce this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Anyone else doing Parkrun Sat? Took it very easy this week and my tight legs have loosened up nicely so I'll throw the kitchen sink at this 5k and see where I'm at. Bring on the pain! Great post above on it.

Good luck in everyone in Waterford or whichever races you are in.

Advertisement