Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Good luck with your races tomorrow people. I will not be down in Waterford for the half but I'll be thinking of you!
    I might get the Park run in tomorrow for a training run and the Aware 10 km next week.
    If anyone is around for that one or a nice lsr in the park after its over. Give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Got a piece of advice today from a colleague living on the KK side of Waterford - apparently the Winterval festival is now on and last Saturday morning the traffic going into the city over the old bridge was horrendous. So the advice was to take the new bridge / cat flap and take either the old Cork road or the Tramore road into town from the outer ring road.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

1 x load off running gear now in the wash. Glad I didn't wait till tonight to find out that all my stuff is durty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

menoscemo wrote: »
    You should feel pain and discomfort at some stage in the race. If not, you are doing it wrong :D Races are about pushing yourself to the max, it's the time to learn how to deal with discomfort.
    As a rule of thumb you will start feeling a lot of pain around the halfway point. If I start getting demons in my head at this point in a race (generally telling me to slow down or drop out) I know I am doing it right ;). If I don't get them to near the end I always feel at the end that I could have ran faster.

Remember it is normal to feel pain and get demons. Don't use them as an excuse to slow down or stop, rather see it a sign you are doing it right and dig deeper. Everyone feels the pain in short races, even the tops guys. There is a saying in running that 'it never gets easier, you just get faster'.

P.S. If any of you are doing Jingle Bells, I'll be racing myself so don't be afraid to say hello. I'll be wearing a red/yellow Tallaght AC singlet, glasses and short grey hair.
    I'm feeling a lot more confident after reading this......for the fifth time :o

Thanks Meno. Hope your own race goes well tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Good luck to everyone raiing tomorrow, not racing myself, but looking forward to my first run in ages :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

All the best everyone who's racing in Waterford tomo and in other races over the weekend! Looking forward to hearing about all the new PBS in the race reports, enjoy all :)

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Got a piece of advice today from a colleague living on the KK side of Waterford - apparently the Winterval festival is now on and last Saturday morning the traffic going into the city over the old bridge was horrendous. So the advice was to take the new bridge / cat flap and take either the old Cork road or the Tramore road into town from the outer ring road.

Just to add - you should be aware that the new bridge is tolled and will cost car drivers e1.80 or 1.90 to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

This doesn't mean very mch to me, basically, from Dublin, go around the outside of Waterford & approach from behind? Is this an easy manoeuvre or if I arrive by 9.30 will that solve my problems.

I would add that I'm happy to arrive by 9 if necessary. Early starts no concern here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

This doesn't mean very mch to me, basically, from Dublin, go around the outside of Waterford & approach from behind? Is this an easy manoeuvre or if I arrive by 9.30 will that solve my problems.

I would add that I'm happy to arrive by 9 if necessary. Early starts no concern here.

Coming off the end of the motorway take the first exit on the roundabout, you will then come to a second roundabout and take the third exit, this brings you to the bridge and toll booth. After the toll booth take the first exit, this brings you to the ring road on the south side of wateford.

Then take the first exit on the Tramore road roundabout (about 4th/5th roundabouts on the ring road) This will bring you to Woodies.

Basically, alot of roundabouts!!

Edit: If you aim to arrive for 9:30 i reckon going through the town should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Guys for Waterford remember to bring your number and to fix your timing chip onto your runner :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck to all the blaa runners tomorrow. Weather forecast is perfect for running and the dcm is well out of your legs.

Last race of the year so let's leave nothing out there

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

blockic wrote: »
    Coming off the end of the motorway take the first exit on the roundabout, you will then come to a second roundabout and take the third exit, this brings you to the bridge and toll booth. After the toll booth take the first exit, this brings you to the ring road on the south side of wateford.

Then take the first exit on the Tramore road roundabout (about 4th/5th roundabouts on the ring road) This will bring you to Woodies.

Basically, alot of roundabouts!!

Edit: If you aim to arrive for 9:30 i reckon going through the town should be fine

Lovely Jubbly. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Guys for Waterford remember to bring your number and to fix your timing chip onto your runner :D:D:D

My envelope for Waterford said I didn't need a timing chip for my shoe and that my chip was in my bib....although there was still information about the foot chip included in the pack.

Anyone else get the same?

coalshed wrote: »

My envelope for Waterford said I didn't need a timing chip for my shoe and that my chip was in my bib....although there was still information about the foot chip included in the pack.

Anyone else get the same?

We got shoe chips but if you're concerned they've just posted on their Facebook page that anyone who has to get a replacement chip can do so at the help desk in RSC from 10am onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Good luck today folks. Hope you all hit your targets. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Go for it !!! PB's all round please. Looking forward to race reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

dechol wrote: »
    Go for it !!! PB's all round please. Looking forward to race reports!

+1 go boardsies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Looking forward to the reports. I even managed to sneak a 2 second PB myself today in the Jingle Bells 5k (18:50). Disappointed I didn't bump into any of the group after the race...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Looking forward to the reports. I even managed to sneak a 2 second PB myself today in the Jingle Bells 5k (18:50). Disappointed I didn't bump into any of the group after the race...

see you have 18:52 in the results ;) so no pb today? outch

shels4ever wrote: »
    see you have 18:52 in the results ;) so no pb today? outch

Ah feck, stewards enquiry ;) Champion Chip all over the shop...
    Here's my evidernce : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/248218566

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Just back in from the jingle bells 5k.

Wasn't sure last night if I'd make the start as one the kids was sick. Thankfully she wasn't too bad during the night and this morning.

I was a little late to the start line so I slotted into the middle of the sub 25 group. As we made our way forward I could see that the time zones appeared to have been ignored. I sent the first kilometer or so dodging walkers and much slower runners. Its wasn't till nearly the 2k mark that the field seemed to have sorted itself out.

By the halfway mark I knew I'd lost some time between dodging and am open shoelace so I upped the pace a little bit. The last 1500m I just put the foot down. Came in at 22.22 chip time. A pb by 16seconds. I feel I could have shaved a bit more off it as I'd a bit left in the tank so I could have upped the pace sooner.

Anyway a good race and delighted to see my 5k time dropping still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Ah feck, stewards enquiry ;) Champion Chip all over the shop...
    Here's my evidernce : http://connect.garmin.com/activity/248218566

Sorry only official race results ;) you could have stopped your garmin just before the line.

well paces race by the way.

Just back in from the jingle bells 5k.

Wasn't sure last night if I'd make the start as one the kids was sick. Thankfully she wasn't too bad during the night and this morning.

I was a little late to the start line so I slotted into the middle of the sub 25 group. As we made our way forward I could see that the time zones appeared to have been ignored. I sent the first kilometer or so dodging walkers and much slower runners. Its wasn't till nearly the 2k mark that the field seemed to have sorted itself out.

By the halfway mark I knew I'd lost some time between dodging and am open shoelace so I upped the pace a little bit. The last 1500m I just put the foot down. Came in at 22.22 chip time. A pb by 16seconds. I feel I could have shaved a bit more off it as I'd a bit left in the tank so I could have upped the pace sooner.

Anyway a good race and delighted to see my 5k time dropping still.

Wow Dave, thats a brilliant time. Well done buddy.
    Huge pb for you :)

Waterford half marathon results are up - http://www.totaltiming.ie/results/2012/waterford_half_marathon_2012_fullresults.htm

Race exceeded expectations for me - previous pb was 1.43.05, finished in 1.38.38. Really happy with that. Was delighted to be running with Up The 19th, Career Move and Coalshed - great to have your company guys and Congrats on some great pb's. Delighted to meet Killian too and well done on another pb, iirc.

Waterford half marathon results are up - http://www.totaltiming.ie/results/2012/waterford_half_marathon_2012_fullresults.htm

Race exceeded expectations for me - previous pb was 1.43.05, finished in 1.38.38. Really happy with that. Was delighted to be running with Up The 19th, Career Move and Coalshed - great to have your company guys and Congrats on some great pb's. Delighted to meet Killian too and well done on another pb, iirc.

Well Done Dilbert!! I see Career_Move got her sun 1:40 too (woohoo) how did the others get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Blockic 1.28.47, own him a pint!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Blockic 1.28.47, own him a pint!!

Faster Again!! 1:28:34 chip time.
    We are getting close to our first candidate for getting kicked off this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Gutted I missed hooking up with you guys. Was running late as a result of dropping my son to football and then as I parked up I got a call from a buddy that needed fricken number collected :( I was looking out for flourescant orange Beenies but none replied to blockic!!

Tough enough race as I possibly went out to fast (6.19) for first 5 miles but I was delighted to finish with a 5 minute pb of 1.25.29

Well Done Dilbert!! I see Career_Move got her sun 1:40 too (woohoo) how did the others get on?

Thanks Meno - myself, CM and Up The 19th ran together for most of the race and finished within seconds of each other, all completely exhausted. Coalshed was a bit ahead of us. Don't know about anyone else.

• Advertisement

Thanks Meno - myself, CM and Up The 19th ran together for most of the race and finished within seconds of each other, all completely exhausted. Coalshed was a bit ahead of us. Don't know about anyone else.

I was thinking it was a pity I don't know most peoples names on this thread when I opened up the results you sent out ;)

Advertisement