Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

As was mentioned / requested in the novices thread before this thread was set up I have done us up a shiny new tracker

Great PM, thanks for sorting this out, nothing like the tracker to keep us on our toes!
    A lot of people began the journey with us. For various reasons / injuries etc not everyone actually ran the DCM this year. Although the title of the thread says "graduate" it should by no means be restricted to those who actually finished. As far as I'm concerned this thread should be for anyone who was active in the novices thread / spreadsheet tracker at any stage as well as anyone who just ran their first marathon recently (not just DCM12) who would like to get involved with a group of people at the same stage training wise.

Agree 100% with this and I have added it to the opening post. Great to have you back tang1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I might loiter around here aswell? Really enjoyed all of your trials and tribulations in the build up to dcm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

As was mentioned / requested in the novices thread before this thread was set up I have done us up a shiny new tracker :)

Long link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dDUtdW9LUmpQSy1qTTJSV2NJZWZyN0E#gid=0

Short link:

http://bit.ly/DCMclass2012

Brief points:

Same format as the last tracker.
    Starting from tomorrow !
    Names in alphabetically.
    Active / Inactive members sections. I'm sure not everyone will want to continue tracking - this will sort itself out over the next few weeks.
    Enter your km or mile figure on the relevant day.
    Enter any comments you might like to make in the comments section.
    There is a starting figure to fill in this week which is your total mileage for the year to date. (Planning on resetting this in Jan)
    No weekly plan as we will all be on seperate ones.
    Room for new joiners down the bottom. Just because you were a lurker on the last thread doesn't mean you can't join in for this one. :)

I've a couple of ideas for when everything settles down. Any feature requests or ideas you guys have please feel free to suggest them.

Hope I'm not being cheeky here but just a suggestion on putting the Hal's recovery miles as the header on the spreadsheets like posted by Meno earlier?
    So Mon - rest Tues - 2 miles etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I have added a link to the tracker in the opening post now also for convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

blockic wrote: »
    Looks like our target times for 2013 are pretty similar guinang, will be interesting to see how we both get on!

Happy days. Hopefully we give each other something to strive for......as well as trying to reach out goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

rasher_m wrote: »
    Hope I'm not being cheeky here but just a suggestion on putting the Hal's recovery miles as the header on the spreadsheets like posted by Meno earlier?
    So Mon - rest Tues - 2 miles etc...

Not cheeky at all. Done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hi Guys,

If you want to cement the camaraderie you've all built up through training can I suggest you meet up for runs through the Winter, not only will you become proper friends but you'll be more inclined to get out there on those icy cold weekend mornings, sprinkle in a few nights out and you've got yourself a little running community.

Group Runs

See ya'll out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Hello all, great to see this thread started, looking forward to seeing how it (and we) develop over the next few months!

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.) Im 90% sure that I'm going to run Limerick in May, my GF has gotten into this running lark too but DCM2012 came a wee bit too soon for her so she has targeted this race. In the interim im going to work on pace, I want to improve on my 10k PB (46 min) and really get a strong base in before Limerick. I only started properly training for DCM2012 in July so was chasing the miles in the LSRs a bit resulting in some nasty ITB and running DCM2012 injured. I wont make those mistakes again, I got away with them somehow this time, I wont be so lucky again.

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strengthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)
    Pace and core strengthening, I will start out slowly though and hopefully can get to the bottom of my ITB problems, in all honesty I still cant really run after last Monday.

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)

Injury free through more sensible (slower) training.

I hope to beat my PBs in 5mile, 10k. Beat my debut marathon time, either in Limerick or DCM 2013.

I will run the race series also and hopefully I will improve over 2012 times.

Ambitious but sure why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Thanks Blockic for starting this thread!

Ran yesterday for the first time since the marathon last monday.

A nice 4.7k run in the lasing rain.

A few niggly pains on the outside of my knees that I never had before and I could still feel some tiredness in the legs.

Great to be back out on the legs again!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Sorry to take the conversation off-topic but if anyone is interested: Parkrun Malahide had just started up.

It is a free, timed 5k run every Saturday morning at 9.30am in the grounds of Malahide Castle.

Register here: http://www.parkrun.ie
    Print off your Barcode and turn up.

More info on Boards.ie here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=81499093

You could work it into your long weekend runs.

Should be fun!

• Advertisement

Hello all, great to see this thread started, looking forward to seeing how it (and we) develop over the next few months!

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.) Im 90% sure that I'm going to run Limerick in May, my GF has gotten into this running lark too but DCM2012 came a wee bit too soon for her so she has targeted this race. In the interim im going to work on pace, I want to improve on my 10k PB (46 min) and really get a strong base in before Limerick. I only started properly training for DCM2012 in July so was chasing the miles in the LSRs a bit resulting in some nasty ITB and running DCM2012 injured. I wont make those mistakes again, I got away with them somehow this time, I wont be so lucky again.

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strengthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)
    Pace and core strengthening, I will start out slowly though and hopefully can get to the bottom of my ITB problems, in all honesty I still cant really run after last Monday.

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)

Injury free through more sensible (slower) training.

I hope to beat my PBs in 5mile, 10k. Beat my debut marathon time, either in Limerick or DCM 2013.

I will run the race series also and hopefully I will improve over 2012 times.

Ambitious but sure why not!

If you have a bike or access to an exercise bike then I would strongly recommend cycling (hill work in particular) to help with your itbs. I couldn't walk for a week after running a half marathon early 2009 due to severe itb syndrome. So I took a break from running, found a decent Physio and built up the strength in my thighs and around my knees through cycling. I'm now running with the grace of a leopard (in my mind anyway!)

Cross training is an integral part of marathon training. It helps excersise the muscles that are underworked while running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Woohoo! A new thread! I was worried I was going to miss you all :D

Was away in London for the weekend with my sisters. Crikey I am wrecked after 3 nights of drinking and big eating. I am really out of practise! Didn't run at all last week, but will get back into it this week as I would imagine it's tempting to rest up and it getting harder and harder to get back into it.

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)

Short term, I would like to do another half marathon. I don't have a massive interest in doing any shorter races than that. I was thinking of Clonakilty on Dec 8th, but I think it could be very hilly and I would like to meet some of my fellow graduates, so might do Waterford the week before instead :D Slightly longer term, Cork Marathon is my next big target. I would like to do a sub 3:45, or maybe even a sub 3:30 if that isn't too big an ask. I will definitely be following a more intensive plan for the next marathon and tbh, I feel I could have pushed myself more in DCM. I felt pretty good at the finish and my legs were perfect after 2 days, so I think I possibly played it a bit safe following the 4hr guys and finishing in 3:57

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

Aim to continue running 4 times a week, doing 18-20 miles. Have never done any strength training before now, so probably won't pick up anything new until the Spring. Think I may join a running club to help keep me motivated over the winter.

Hopefully will have another couple of marathons under my belt, all PB's of course :D

ncmc wrote: »
    Woohoo! A new thread! I was worried I was going to miss you all :D

Was away in London for the weekend with my sisters. Crikey I am wrecked after 3 nights of drinking and big eating. I am really out of practise! Didn't run at all last week, but will get back into it this week as I would imagine it's tempting to rest up and it getting harder and harder to get back into it.

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)

Short term, I would like to do another half marathon. I don't have a massive interest in doing any shorter races than that. I was thinking of Clonakilty on Dec 8th, but I think it could be very hilly and I would like to meet some of my fellow graduates, so might do Waterford the week before instead :D Slightly longer term, Cork Marathon is my next big target. I would like to do a sub 3:45, or maybe even a sub 3:30 if that isn't too big an ask. I will definitely be following a more intensive plan for the next marathon and tbh, I feel I could have pushed myself more in DCM. I felt pretty good at the finish and my legs were perfect after 2 days, so I think I possibly played it a bit safe following the 4hr guys and finishing in 3:57

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

Aim to continue running 4 times a week, doing 18-20 miles. Have never done any strength training before now, so probably won't pick up anything new until the Spring. Think I may join a running club to help keep me motivated over the winter.

Hopefully will have another couple of marathons under my belt, all PB's of course :D

Yeah I need to get on a bike, would those magnetic resistance exercise bikes do the job for a couple of sessions a week, the ones for around €100 or am I better off trying spinning or something like that. Road bike isn't feasible for me at the moment.

Does anyone know when entry to the Waterford half closes? Just noticed it's €25 versus €50 for the Clonakilty half, so that made my mind up for me :D

Can't seem to get into the Runireland website though to enter :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Does anyone know when entry to the Waterford half closes? Just noticed it's €25 versus €50 for the Clonakilty half, so that made my mind up for me :D

Can't seem to get into the Runireland website though to enter :confused:
    I think not till 20th November unless they fill the race earlier (1500) :)

I think not till 30th November unless they fill the race earlier :)

Cool :cool: I'll try again in a couple of days. I thought the Clon one a bit of a rip off at €50 and also, I have my work Xmas party the night of the Clon one, so that could be a recipe for disaster :o.

We def have to meet up at the Waterford half, if there are a few of us doing it, was gutted to miss everyone at DCM.

What kind of training should we be doing for this? The HH recovery plan calls for 4 weeks followed by a race at the end of the 4th week, would a half be a good option at that stage? The previous long runs are only 6-7 miles, so would a half marathon be a bit of a jump.

Cool :cool: I'll try again in a couple of days. I thought the Clon one a bit of a rip off at €50 and also, I have my work Xmas party the night of the Clon one, so that could be a recipe for disaster :o.

We def have to meet up at the Waterford half, if there are a few of us doing it, was gutted to miss everyone at DCM.

What kind of training should we be doing for this? The HH recovery plan calls for 4 weeks followed by a race at the end of the 4th week, would a half be a good option at that stage? The previous long runs are only 6-7 miles, so would a half marathon be a bit of a jump.
    I just checked the website and it closes on 20th Nov

I think there's 3 or 4 of us definitely doing it so we should make arrangements to meet up for sure:D

I'm just doing what I'm told by Meno.....I'm good like that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Hi folks,

I lurked but rarely posted on the last thread.

In the end I was delighted with my 3'46 xx DCM. That's approximately what I had aimed for, and given that I had a chest infection the week before and for a day or two thought the whole thing was going to fall apart I'm really pleased that I felt good on the day and all my training paid off.

www.runinthedark.org/ on the 14th - to see if I can do a 10k pb
    Waterford half on December 1st

After that I'm not decided yet. I have some pals who are talking of doing London via the charity route but I'm not sure that's for me given the time of year, so I may concentrate on something like a March Half Marathon and a May/June marathon here in Ireland.

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

I'm starting some strength training this week - to take place once per week. Aside from that I'll keep the running ticking over until I come up with a formal plan for next year.

Soft targets

Continue enjoying running - I don't want to get so fixated on times etc that it stops being fun :)
    Get more social - I did almost all my training this year on my own so I'd like to run in company more often
    Increase my knowledge - my training to date has been set out by the Adidas MiCoach app, which has been great for scheduling a range of varied paced workouts that have served me well thus far. But Micoach is light on the "why" of these different runs, so I'll read up on the theory behind the practice.

Hard Targets

This time next year I'd love to have run:
    a 20 minute 5k
    a 40 minute 10k
    a 1'30 half
    a 3'15 marathon (preceeded by a 3'30 one in the first half of the year)

I just checked the website and it closes on 20th Nov

I think there's 3 or 4 of us definitely doing it so we should make arrangements to meet up for sure:D

I'm just doing what I'm told by Meno.....I'm good like that :p
    Are you thinking of following the pacers? My half in August was 1:48 but as Dilbert can confirm, I was fecked afterwards! I would like to break 1:45 for a half, but I wonder if it's a good idea pushing it 5 weeks after the marathon. Would it be better to be conservative and follow the 1:50 guys..... hmm, decisions, decisions!

Are you thinking of following the pacers? My half in August was 1:48 but as Dilbert can confirm, I was fecked afterwards! I would like to break 1:45 for a half, but I wonder if it's a good idea pushing it 5 weeks after the marathon. Would it be better to be conservative and follow the 1:50 guys..... hmm, decisions, decisions!

What are the pacing groups for Waterford, girlfriend is doing it but I haven't fully made my mind up yet.

• Advertisement

What are the pacing groups for Waterford, girlfriend is doing it but I haven't fully made my mind up yet.
    From their website.... "There will be pacers for 1.30, 1.40, 1.45, 1.50 and 2 hrs."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

runinthedark on 14th of this month
    Aware 10k probably
    spring 1/2 marathon, maybe Ballybunion

Running 3/4 times a week approx 20 miles per week
    lots of core strengthening
    Some cycling

Hopefully with PB's in all distances.
    Sub 24 min 5k (Current PB 25:50)
    Sub 50 min 10k (Current PB 54:31)
    Sub 90 min 10m (Current PB 93:11)
    Sub 2 hr 1/2 marathon (Current PB 02:01:53)
    Sub 4:15 marathon (Current PB 04:39:04)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

coalshed wrote: »
    Hard Targets

a 20 minute 5k
    a 40 minute 10k
    a 1'30 half

Blockic, you and I all on for the same targets. Let the games begin....

In all seriousness, it will be good to have someone to kinda compare against. Best of luck with it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

coalshed wrote: »

Hard Targets

a 20 minute 5k
    a 40 minute 10k
    a 1'30 half

Same as that, have sub 20min 5km in the bag but want to improve on it. Also run sub 70 min 10 miler.

Yeah I need to get on a bike, would those magnetic resistance exercise bikes do the job for a couple of sessions a week, the ones for around €100 or am I better off trying spinning or something like that. Road bike isn't feasible for me at the moment.

Def give spinning a shot. Great way to work on your leg strength over the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Am addicted to this thread already :D Did 3 very easy miles this morning before work was bliss. Didn't realise how slippy the roads were until I was driving into work as it was only getting bright when I started off but luckily I was going so easy no slips. Legs a million times better than last Friday.

As regards joining a club / doing speed work, how long do you reckon we should leave it until we start speed work? Don't want to ruin my recovery but am eager to get back into it. :)

DOCO12 wrote: »
    Am addicted to this thread already :D Did 3 very easy miles this morning before work was bliss. Didn't realise how slippy the roads were until I was driving into work as it was only getting bright when I started off but luckily I was going so easy no slips. Legs a million times better than last Friday.

As regards joining a club / doing speed work, how long do you reckon we should leave it until we start speed work? Don't want to ruin my recovery but am eager to get back into it. :)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    An easy day for each mile raced. No fast or long runs in that time. But 3 weeks of recovery runs should be fine. The legs themselves will tell you when it is time to speed up again.

[/QUOTE

Deffo....pacers are heaven sent!!!! Probably go 1.45 or if I'm feeling bold 1.40 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

If I do Waterford I fear i'll be one of the few at the back of the run! current PB is 1.58 so may just follow the 2hr pacers for a decent workout. I think 1.50 might be a bit beyond me yet. Hmmm decisions, decisions.

• Advertisement

Deffo....pacers are heaven sent!!!! Probably go 1.45 or if I'm feeling bold 1.40 :D
    1:40 :eek::eek::eek: You are definitely braver than me! I am beginning to think I am too conservative with my races. I am definitely beginning to think I didn’t push myself to my limit in DCM, but then hate the thought of pushing too hard and not being able to finish :o

Advertisement