Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Howdy, running in and out - race report tonight hopefully.

New PB - 1hr56.03 - exactly 1min off.

Good to meet Dilbert, talk to you all later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ok, here goes report (mighty toffees just took the lead against city aswell :) )

Nightmare start to the day as the electricity was off all morning. No coffee, no shower and no heating.
    Sort of slept in a bit longer than I should have so I ended up being late dropping Gavlor jnr to football. I normally coach but had to give it a miss this morning, however I still couldn't get away for 10/15 mins. Eventually made it to woodies with my o/h who was doing her first half. Friend of mine called in a panic as he was stuck in traffic and needed his number collected. I got it do him but had to wait to meet him @ superquinn.... Made the start line with 2 mins to spare.
    Off we went and I was planning on around 6.25 steady but went off a bit faster. Pulled back before the turn as I knew the hill was on the way. I'm normally strong on hills but my stomach felt a food mixer full of angel delight and I really struggled for next mile or 2. At one stage I thought breakfast was coming up! I managed to get thru the next 3 miles by my pace had slipped to 6.40 which would put me behind target. Drive on as hard as I could and got it back to 6.28pm headin into that nature park.

That was a c u next Tuesday of a route and I ended up missing my target by 40 odd seconds though I was still delighted with a pb of 1hr 25 minutes.

I came into the summer with one half under my belt @ 1.40 (2010) and I've ended the year knocking 15 minutes from that :)

My other half came over the line in a stunning 2.13 which considering she couldn't run 500 meters in jan is some achievement!

Champers and an ice bath has finalised her induction to the wacky world that is running.

City equalised since I started this.... BALLS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Gavlor wrote: »
    Ok, here goes report (mighty toffees just took the lead against city aswell :) )

Nightmare start to the day as the electricity was off all morning. No coffee, no shower and no heating.
    Sort of slept in a bit longer than I should have so I ended up being late dropping Gavlor jnr to football. I normally coach but had to give it a miss this morning, however I still couldn't get away for 10/15 mins. Eventually made it to woodies with my o/h who was doing her first half. Friend of mine called in a panic as he was stuck in traffic and needed his number collected. I got it do him but had to wait to meet him @ superquinn.... Made the start line with 2 mins to spare.
    Off we went and I was planning on around 6.25 steady but went off a bit faster. Pulled back before the turn as I knew the hill was on the way. I'm normally strong on hills but my stomach felt a food mixer full of angel delight and I really struggled for next mile or 2. At one stage I thought breakfast was coming up! I managed to get thru the next 3 miles by my pace had slipped to 6.40 which would put me behind target. Drive on as hard as I could and got it back to 6.28pm headin into that nature park.

That was a c u next Tuesday of a route and I ended up missing my target by 40 odd seconds though I was still delighted with a pb of 1hr 25 minutes.

I came into the summer with one half under my belt @ 1.40 (2010) and I've ended the year knocking 15 minutes from that :)

My other half came over the line in a stunning 2.13 which considering she couldn't run 500 meters in jan is some achievement!

Champers and an ice bath has finalised her induction to the wacky world that is running.

Superb running, well done Gavlor.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Lots of PB's - this menoscemo chap may actually know something....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Shhh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hes a wily auld silver fox alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tang1 wrote: »
    Hes a wily auld silver fox alright!

less of the auld ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

The other half is gone with the boys so here we go...

Goal Time: 1:39:xx
    Chip Time: 1:38:35 (BOOM!)

Tough week. Hurt my left calf on tuesday night on the 3M run and made it worse with wednesday's 4 miler...seriously sore...rested for next 2 days. Last night it was seriously touch and go (hence the title above) but it had settled enough this morning.

Parked up in woodies, jumped out of the car and jokingly said to a guy walking by "Are you a boardsie?" , it was Dilbert75...what are the chances.
    So we headed to the RSC, warmed up, jumped in with the 1:40's and off we went.
    The pace felt quick but we stuck with it. Met up with Career Move and Coalshed on the route. Myself, Dilbert75 and Career pretty much stayed together from there on.

Tried to put down the boot with a mile to go but there was nothing there.
    Initially thought the course was tough, but on reflection I think it tough because I really raced it...left every bit of it out there.

Really enjoyed meeting up with a few of you and I'm sure I will meet more in the future.

Really enjoyed the coffee with the guys afterwards, especially career move, cos the race effort was starting to go away and a real buzz on her time was building...CM you are one tough lady!!!

So I'm buzzing here...1:49 to 1:44 to 1:38 since april.

Dilbert75, me and you are going 1:35 in april in wexford buddy.....well after we tear up the 10k in enniscorthy.

Savage time... well done

upthe19th wrote: »

Savage time... well done

Cheers, great going yourself. It's great to see all the pb's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Well done all, great racing!! No pressure on the rest of us eek!!

Dilbert75, me and you are going 1:35 in april in wexford buddy.....well after we tear up the 10k in enniscorthy.
    We are? But my 2013 goal was sub-100 min half so, having achieved that, I was going to toddle through the next 12 months. (JOKE Meno - jebus lighten up). :)

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    We are? But my 2013 goal was sub-100 min half so, having achieved that, I was going to toddle through the next 12 months. (JOKE Meno - jebus lighten up). :)

Afraid so my man...you were incredibly strong today..great to finally meet ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

5k parkrun

Current pb 23.06
    Original target 20:xx
    Giving a lash: Sub 20.

Result.....
    19:53

yes yes yes YES WOOHOO! I feel so good!

The improvements I've seen as a result of marathon training and post marathon are just remarkable and Im delighted with them, so thanks to the 2 mentors since I took up running; YoungAnne and currently Meno.

Well done to everyone today, great results coming in. Parkrun is great, super location, well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Today's race report here

:D
    Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Thanks Meno - myself, CM and Up The 19th ran together for most of the race and finished within seconds of each other, all completely exhausted. Coalshed was a bit ahead of us. Don't know about anyone else.

Brilliant runs by you all, well done!
    Howdy, running in and out - race report tonight hopefully.

New PB - 1hr56.03 - exactly 1min off.

Good to meet Dilbert, talk to you all later.

Great run Killian!
    I was still delighted with a pb of 1hr 25 minutes.

Brillaint run Gavlor, pity I didn't bump into you today. Some time soon.
    Goal Time: 1:39:xx
    Chip Time: 1:38:35 (BOOM!)

Great run and great report upth19th. Missed you at the end, but might hit wexford early next year, you never know!

Brilliant runs by everyone else today also, It was not an easy course, miles 6-9 were tough ones! I'm hitting the pub tonight anyway, and I may need to be carried home! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I think its safe to say that Waterford was a real success for team Meno. My goal was sub 1:40 and finished in 1:38:55. I am just bubbling over with happiness. I think I ran a good race and I'm really happy with myself for digging in when the pressure came on. I was uber early as usual. Went into lidl and got myself some running socks smile.png When I came back I saw Blockic, Fifii and docjewel. Was chatting to them and I spotted a liklely Boardsie who turned out to be Coalshed. Got my warmup in running to the start with Blockic I had to cue for ages for the toilets. Kept asking the girl next to me what time it was. She had her own problems cause she forgot her chip and her number and her sister was coming from Dunmore with them. I hope she got sorted!

So everyone was lined up when I came out. I saw the 1:40 balloons and slotted in behind them. Met Coalshed there as well but I wanted to be right behind the pacers so I didn't see him much for the first few miles. The pacers were sound out. They said they were going to build up a bit of a cushion over the first couple of miles and then run even enough splits. My plan was simple.....stay with them biggrin.png The first couple of miles were easier than I expected they would be. I was still having to work hard but it was manageable. The pacers were great with loads of chat and encouragement. The first hill was around mile 6 and I was happy enough going up it but I love hills. I was still feeling strong enough anyway.

I think it was around mile 7 that I met up with Dilbert and Upthe19th. That was cool. It makes it so much easier having people you know around you. Things were starting to get tough around then. My breathing on the uphills was catching me a bit and the legs were getting tired. The next few miles are a bit of a blur. I know I took a gel around 7 and a half miles when there was no sign of any water coming. Cheers Blockic for recommending I bring the isogel with me. It was bloody hard to get the gel into me. I say it must have taken me about half a mile to finish it cause it was so hard to swallow and breathe at the same time eek.png

Dilbert became my personal pacer around mile 10. The three of us kind of went on from the pacers around then. I was having to work as hard as I could to stay with the lads. Reading Meno's race tips post helped me out a lot though cause I was able to deal with the pain way better than I did in Athlone. Also having Dilbert and Upthe19th in front of me was a blessing - I mean I couldn't possible bring shame on Career Move by walking when they were there, could I. Coalshed had burned us off by this stage on his way to a mighty 1:36 I think. The second last mile was the toughest for me but Dilbert was a star with the encouragement like looking back to see where I was etc. Thanks dude. Owe you bigtime! I had to really dig deep especially when you can see the runners ahead of you passing back the other way. I tried to push for the last 100m but I started hyperventilating which is not ideal frown.png I used to do that when I was a kid and I was in a temper biggrin.png Blockic was at the finish to encourage us all. Fresh as a daisy after running 1:28 eek.png Such a relief to cross the finish line and stop. The sandwiches and stuff they had were much appreciated as was the sit down. Then upthe19th and I hobbled ran slowly back to the cars. Have to say it was a brilliant day. Will definitely be doing it biggrin.png

I think its safe to say that Waterford was a real success for team Meno. My goal was sub 1:40 and finished in 1:38:55. I am just bubbling over with happiness. I think I ran a good race and I'm really happy with myself for digging in when the pressure came on. I was uber early as usual. Went into lidl and got myself some running socks smile.png When I came back I saw Blockic, Fifii and docjewel. Was chatting to them and I spotted a liklely Boardsie who turned out to be Coalshed. Got my warmup in running to the start with Blockic I had to cue for ages for the toilets. Kept asking the girl next to me what time it was. She had her own problems cause she forgot her chip and her number and her sister was coming from Dunmore with them. I hope she got sorted!

So everyone was lined up when I came out. I saw the 1:40 balloons and slotted in behind them. Met Coalshed there as well but I wanted to be right behind the pacers so I didn't see him much for the first few miles. The pacers were sound out. They said they were going to build up a bit of a cushion over the first couple of miles and then run even enough splits. My plan was simple.....stay with them biggrin.png The first couple of miles were easier than I expected they would be. I was still having to work hard but it was manageable. The pacers were great with loads of chat and encouragement. The first hill was around mile 6 and I was happy enough going up it but I love hills. I was still feeling strong enough anyway.

I think it was around mile 7 that I met up with Dilbert and Upthe19th. That was cool. It makes it so much easier having people you know around you. Things were starting to get tough around then. My breathing on the uphills was catching me a bit and the legs were getting tired. The next few miles are a bit of a blur. I know I took a gel around 7 and a half miles when there was no sign of any water coming. Cheers Blockic for recommending I bring the isogel with me. It was bloody hard to get the gel into me. I say it must have taken me about half a mile to finish it cause it was so hard to swallow and breathe at the same time eek.png

Dilbert became my personal pacer around mile 10. The three of us kind of went on from the pacers around then. I was having to work as hard as I could to stay with the lads. Reading Meno's race tips post helped me out a lot though cause I was able to deal with the pain way better than I did in Athlone. Also having Dilbert and Upthe19th in front of me was a blessing - I mean I couldn't possible bring shame on Career Move by walking when they were there, could I. Coalshed had burned us off by this stage on his way to a mighty 1:36 I think. The second last mile was the toughest for me but Dilbert was a star with the encouragement like looking back to see where I was etc. Thanks dude. Owe you bigtime! I had to really dig deep especially when you can see the runners ahead of you passing back the other way. I tried to push for the last 100m but I started hyperventilating which is not ideal frown.png I used to do that when I was a kid and I was in a temper biggrin.png Blockic was at the finish to encourage us all. Fresh as a daisy after running 1:28 eek.png Such a relief to cross the finish line and stop. The sandwiches and stuff they had were much appreciated as was the sit down. Then upthe19th and I hobbled ran slowly back to the cars. Have to say it was a brilliant day. Will definitely be doing it biggrin.png

Thanks for the offer of the baby wipes CM...but soap and water was required in abundance after today.

The driver seat of me poor car will never be the same again....going to rustle up some weird concoction of Cillit bang and fabreeze:D:D

Thanks for the offer of the baby wipes CM...but soap and water was required in abundance after today.

The driver seat of me poor car will never be the same again....going to rustle up some weird concoction of Cillit bang and fabreeze:D:D
    Haha no bother :D Speaking of poor cars when I was driving out of Woodies this guy stopped me and told me my back tire was flat. The Topaz garage in Waterford didn't have any thingy to pump it up :eek: Cue nervous drive home!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Delighted with my 1:36:03...aim was 1:36:00 but whats 3 seconds among friends! Really enjoyed the race..weather was lovely and atmosphere at start and finish was great!

Stuck close to the 1:40 pacers until mile 10 or so and then pushed on a little. Ditto CM's thanks to Meno..would never have pushed myself to feel some pain without his pre-race advice. I foolishly thought running was supposed to be enjoyable!

At one stage I heard Career Move introduce herself to some other boardsies and was going to say hello but was at a tough hill stage and didnt really have the puff in me! Next time hopefuly!

Well done everyone..lots of great PB's and still such early days post-DCM!!

Haha no bother :D Speaking of poor cars when I was driving out of Woodies this guy stopped me and told me my back tire was flat. The Topaz garage in Waterford didn't have any thingy to pump it up :eek: Cue nervous drive home!!!

Why nervous?

You could have used the trip back to laois as a recovery run:p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Great running everyone! well done!

Why nervous?

You could have used the trip back to laois as a recovery run:p:D
    Even I am not that mad :eek:

Speaking of poor cars when I was driving out of Woodies this guy stopped me and told me my back tire was flat. The Topaz garage in Waterford didn't have any thingy to pump it up :eek: Cue nervous drive home!!!

Ah - I'd a compressor in the boot if I'd known!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Well done everyone for some great running and some impressive PB's. I'm seriously impressed just a month after DCM. You're an inspiration to us all to get our asses off the couch and up the ante on the speed work. I'm mad jealous that you all got to meet, sounds like a great race was had by all. Well done again!

blockic wrote: »
    Today's race report here

:D

Brilliant runs by you all, well done!

Great run Killian!

Brillaint run Gavlor, pity I didn't bump into you today. Some time soon.

Great run and great report upth19th. Missed you at the end, but might hit wexford early next year, you never know!

Brilliant runs by everyone else today also, It was not an easy course, miles 6-9 were tough ones! I'm hitting the pub tonight anyway, and I may need to be carried home! :D

How about we hit sub 85 early next year....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

How about we hit sub 85 early next year....

Be on for that, I've Meath planned for March 3rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

ncmc wrote: »
    Well done everyone for some great running and some impressive PB's. I'm seriously impressed just a month after DCM. You're an inspiration to us all to get our asses off the couch and up the ante on the speed work. I'm mad jealous that you all got to meet, sounds like a great race was had by all. Well done again!

+1 on the above, well done everyone! Your race reports are such an inspiration and goes to show what can be done with the right training...great motivation for me to get back out there asap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Anothe PB here,target was 1:44:59 came in 1:43:08.:)
    After quite an eventful night where not much sleep was acquired I eventually woke this morning & seriously considered not doing doing this race,felt absolutely wrecked.
    Once I got to Woddies I spotted blockic(you really couldn't miss him with that orange hat,maybe all boardies should have one???) who was talking to FiiFii & along bounced career_move.
    career_move had so much energy in her it was unreal & she was on a mission to acost as many boardies as possible,no inhibitions what so ever:D
    Myself & FiiFii went off to drop bags while the others headed off to the RSC.
    I lined up behind the 1:45 pacers but going around the 1st roundabout I went ahead of them(lack of discipline again on my part) but kept pushing along at a handy pace keeping the 1:40 pacers in sight but never trying to catch up with them.
    The first 5 miles or so were coasting along,talking to few other racers which may have that we were not pushing ourselves enough if we could still talk & then up the HILL.
    I had in my mind the that the hill would only last for under a mile or so but it just seemed to go on forever.Hills normally don't bother me but I had pushed myself at the start of the hill & didn't expect it to be as long as it was:(
    At times along the upper section of the race I felt wrecked but remembered what Meno had posted,thats its gotta hurt!!! so kept trying to push as best I could.
    At about 11 miles the body felt so drained,I tried to push on but there was no kick whatsover in me,I really felt myself slowing down for the last mile (although according to garmin it was 8:29 for the last mile).
    When I crossed the line I actually felt weak,thankfully a mars bar was inside the goody bag was quickly devoured.:D
    blockic after his blistering run was still hanging around the finishing area looking to cheer on more boardies & passed on the good news that career_move was celebrating a PB too.
    Inside the hall for a tea,cookies & a damn tasty blaa & back outside to my own boardies spotting mission(blockic was walking sprinting back to his car at this stage for warm clothes whem I spottes FiiFii coasting into the finishing area in another PB time.
    Enjoyed the company of blockic & FiiFii in the hall afterwards while we relaxed after our earlier efforts.
    While I'm happy with nearly a 9 minute PB the question will still remain of what might have been achieved with proper preperation & a few decent nights sleep.

On another positive note I've now passed 1,900 miles for the year:) only 4 weeks to go to knock out another 100:D, the pressure is on

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I'll be brief...there's a thai red curry going to arrive at my door any minute :)

Great to meet a couple of Boardiacs today and delighted that everybody had a good race in Waterford and elsewhere. Well done to all and nice to meet you Dilbert, Career Move, Upthe19th, Teeley and Blockic.

Well done too to Waterford Ac, that was a perfect day for racing and a lovely spread afterwards...it's nice that everyone has a reason to stick around for a while...although McDonalds was buzzing before the race too with a fitter-than-usual looking clientelle :)

I enjoyed the race and the hills weren't as bad as I had anticipated, in fact the downhills were almost tougher as they were pretty steep. I wouldn't fancy running up those bad boys.

I started with a buddy behind the 1'40 pacers and found the initial pace to be quite brisk, I felt it took a good long time - 4 or 5 miles - to really loosen up and get into the swing of things. By the time we caught up the 50 meters on Career Move et al I was feeling much happier and pleased to be gradually gaining some time on the pacers.

Inspired by Meno's 'Seek ye Pain' post I put the boot down at mile 10 and just about managed to hang on through to the end but jaysus, that last mile through the park was a) tough and ii) endless.

Delighted to have come in with 1.36.11. If you're injured or resting up these days then take heart in the knowledge that there's a post marathon pb within you, waiting to get out :)

Mmmm chicken satay starter....

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »

Be on for that, I've Meath planned for March 3rd?

Bit of a trek.... I was almost late for a race 5 miles from home ;)

Advertisement