Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Well done to everyone racing this weekend seems like there was alo of good performances and plenty more to come over the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'm not too good at this kind of thing so sorry if it meanders off ponint at times.

Relatively busy week meant little or no running done in prep for today, I tried to convince myself that it was a good thing! A severe taper week.

Arrived at 9.15, parked in Superquinn as I was dragged in by the smell of fresh bread! I met up with a twitter friend who was returning to running after donating a kidney, he was faster but needed some encouragement. I had been desperately trying to decide on a strategy, my last two half's could comfortably be called disasters with me struggling to comfortably finish in 2hrs. (PB from Dublin 1.57.03)

Finally decided to race fairly 'easy' and started with the 2hr pacers. They bolted off like hares out of a trap and the first 2miles were covered in 8.35 & 8.38. They then seemed to slow to a 9m pace. When they slowed, I felt good & decided to keep up the pace and fell into a 8.45 rhythm. A bunch of us paced each other like a cycle peloton with everyone taking turns at the front, this really helped. I was wearing the heart monitor and wanted to try to race to this and found that my 165-170 region was comfortably covering the 8.45 pace & that was great. Each mile I was learning things and becoming more confident.

I didn't find the hills too bad, the heart went up to 175 & pace slowed to 9min mile briefly but noticing that I was able to use the flats to get both under control. While keeping an eye on all these figures I was constantly looking at the watch so I ran miles 9/10/11 without looking at it at all, avg pace slowed to 8.55 but I was feeling good.

I started to feel my hip flexors tire (exactly the same as the marathon) but this time I remembered the advice a couple of pages back and decided that with only a hop, skip & jump to the finish it was all or nothing at his stage! I knew I was there & thereabouts on a PB so with the meno devil (angel?) on my shoulder I upped the pace!

The last two miles were just great, picking off runners rather than being the one being picked off is a great feeling, knowing that I had run a sensible & strategic race (maybe not by design) was really encouraging. Knowing I was going to finish strong was the best feeling though, 8.19 last mile with no discernible ill effects and a smile on my face at the finish topped off a great day.

I really enjoyed today, I learned loads about me & racing and how I am able to manage things when necessary. Roll on winter training!

So, some stats (from my garmin)
    Old PB - 1hr57.03
    Goal - 1hr56.59
    Chip time (new PB) - 1.56.03
    Avg race pace - 8m53sec
    Fastest mile - mile 13 @ 8.19
    Highest heart rate - mile 13 @180bpm (interesting that's my max HR)
    Avg race HR - 171

That's it, sorry for the long winded post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Avg race HR - 171

Well done Killian!! It's unlikely that's your maxHR.
    If you hit your max in a half you would literally be dying!! 220-age is not an acccurate measure of Max HR (if you are using this??)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done Killian!! It's unlikely that's your maxHR.
    If you hit your max in a half you would literally be dying!! 220-age is not an acccurate measure of Max HR (if you are using this??)

I took 220-age but yes, after a big bag of chips I am certainly still alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I took 220-age but yes, after a big bag of chips I am certainly still alive!

:D
    If you are running a 5k anytime soon you are likely to get a lot closer to your Max HR. Best turn off the HR display and just run as fast as you can, look at the stats afterwards.

I Know two guys on here who are the same age. One has a Max HR of 210, the other 165. Sounds like yours doesn't fit the 200-age pattern either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on all the PBs today in various races...you're all flying!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Fifi never got a chance to report in but heard she got a pb...how did she do?

Teeley wrote: »
    Delighted with my 1:36:03...aim was 1:36:00 but whats 3 seconds among friends! Really enjoyed the race..weather was lovely and atmosphere at start and finish was great!

Stuck close to the 1:40 pacers until mile 10 or so and then pushed on a little. Ditto CM's thanks to Meno..would never have pushed myself to feel some pain without his pre-race advice. I foolishly thought running was supposed to be enjoyable!

At one stage I heard Career Move introduce herself to some other boardsies and was going to say hello but was at a tough hill stage and didnt really have the puff in me! Next time hopefuly!

Well done everyone..lots of great PB's and still such early days post-DCM!!

Well done M. Didnt realise you were so fast, must've been a nightmare running those lsr's so slowly with me ;)

I'm not too good at this kind of thing so sorry if it meanders off ponint at times.

Relatively busy week meant little or no running done in prep for today, I tried to convince myself that it was a good thing! A severe taper week.

Arrived at 9.15, parked in Superquinn as I was dragged in by the smell of fresh bread! I met up with a twitter friend who was returning to running after donating a kidney, he was faster but needed some encouragement. I had been desperately trying to decide on a strategy, my last two half's could comfortably be called disasters with me struggling to comfortably finish in 2hrs. (PB from Dublin 1.57.03)

Finally decided to race fairly 'easy' and started with the 2hr pacers. They bolted off like hares out of a trap and the first 2miles were covered in 8.35 & 8.38. They then seemed to slow to a 9m pace. When they slowed, I felt good & decided to keep up the pace and fell into a 8.45 rhythm. A bunch of us paced each other like a cycle peloton with everyone taking turns at the front, this really helped. I was wearing the heart monitor and wanted to try to race to this and found that my 165-170 region was comfortably covering the 8.45 pace & that was great. Each mile I was learning things and becoming more confident.

I didn't find the hills too bad, the heart went up to 175 & pace slowed to 9min mile briefly but noticing that I was able to use the flats to get both under control. While keeping an eye on all these figures I was constantly looking at the watch so I ran miles 9/10/11 without looking at it at all, avg pace slowed to 8.55 but I was feeling good.

I started to feel my hip flexors tire (exactly the same as the marathon) but this time I remembered the advice a couple of pages back and decided that with only a hop, skip & jump to the finish it was all or nothing at his stage! I knew I was there & thereabouts on a PB so with the meno devil (angel?) on my shoulder I upped the pace!

The last two miles were just great, picking off runners rather than being the one being picked off is a great feeling, knowing that I had run a sensible & strategic race (maybe not by design) was really encouraging. Knowing I was going to finish strong was the best feeling though, 8.19 last mile with no discernible ill effects and a smile on my face at the finish topped off a great day.

I really enjoyed today, I learned loads about me & racing and how I am able to manage things when necessary. Roll on winter training!

So, some stats (from my garmin)
    Old PB - 1hr57.03
    Goal - 1hr56.59
    Chip time (new PB) - 1.56.03
    Avg race pace - 8m53sec
    Fastest mile - mile 13 @ 8.19
    Avg race HR - 171

That's it, sorry for the long winded post!

Nice one Killian!
    I wouldn't call trying to keep under 2 hrs a disaster by any means. Its a hell of a lot better than over half the field in an average race
    You'll be smashing 1.50 before the next Dublin half for sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

docjewel wrote: »
    Anothe PB here,target was 1:44:59 came in 1:43:08.:)
    On another positive note I've now passed 1,900 miles for the year:) only 4 weeks to go to knock out another 100:D, the pressure is on

Great race today docjewal, nice to meet you, 1,900 miles is some going. Might see you in dungarvan the end of January.
    coalshed wrote: »
    Great to meet a couple of Boardiacs today and delighted that everybody had a good race in Waterford and elsewhere. Well done to all and nice to meet you Dilbert, Career Move, Upthe19th, Teeley and Blockic.

Great report coalshed, nice to meet you before the start.
    Gavlor wrote: »
    Bit of a trek.... I was almost late for a race 5 miles from home ;)

Haha, ok, find something near us in february and i'm in!!
    Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on all the PBs today in various races...you're all flying!!! :D

Thank's younganne, only for you we wouldn't be where we are today!
    rasher_m wrote: »
    Fifi never got a chance to report in but heard she got a pb...how did she do?

FiiFii finished in 2hrs and had a 3 minute PB on a tough course. I believe she is currently celebrating in Wexford! :)

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »

FiiFii finished in 2hrs and had a 3 minute PB on a tough course. I believe she is currently celebrating in Wexford! :)

Thx Blockic, ah thats great, I know she was like myself..not feeling the love for it

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

rasher_m wrote: »

Thx Blockic, ah thats great, I know she was like myself..not feeling the love for it

I"m delighted for Fifi and everyone with such great times and PBs tumbling!

2013 goals being reset b4 Newyear

I was ragin not to be racing this weekend So i turned my LSR today into a HM time trial with great result. I crushed my previous HM best of 2:24 (DCM 2nd half) and ran 2:09:54. I am wrecked but chuffed, i am thinking sub 2 in Spring in race conditions

thanks to all for inspiration

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

OK, now that I'm on PC rather than phone, here's a quick report. First the Garmin data.

Was feeling fairly meh about this event all week. Even up to Friday night myself & Mrs. D were saying how we weren't looking forward to it - we just wanted to get it over with. To be honest, like it or not, I think that for me this was down to the expectation of racing it hard rather than just a sociable event. I hadn't run all week for a number of reasons and just wasn't feeling up for it.

When we pulled up in Woodies car park we decided to try drop our bag at Kingfisher (as advised on the WAC Facebook page) so we'd have warm clothes for later. We were just walking past the guy getting out of the car parked beside us and he says "are ye boardies?" - and so we met Up The 19th. Three of us headed up to Kingfisher to be told at the gate by another runner that there was actually no bag drop. No emergency. Back to the car and left the stuff there. Dilemma #1 - how much to wear. Had brought woolly hat, ear warmer band, extra t-shirt, tights, gloves, etc. - everything that I should have been wearing for DCM. In the end I went with the running vest over long-sleeved shirt, shorts, ear warmer band and gloves. Thankfully I didn't wear more as it wasn't nearly as cold as I'd planned for - the gloves and ear warmer came off at about 4m 'cos I was sweatin'.

Usual pit-stop before the start, followed by a bit of an ould warm-up. Met Opus & Cabaal wearing Boards t-shirts - I know Cabaal got his target but I'm not sure how Opus got on. Mrs. D went in at the back of the 1:30 group to try improve on her Dublin PB of 1:35:0X. Myself and UpThe19th went into the 1:40 group. We were both looking around for no. 720 (Career Move) but no sign. Got underway and the pace was immediately brisk - so much so that our pacers briefly passed Mrs. D before the 2nd roundabout before pulling back. It soon became obvious that this was going to be no walk in the park though - we were running 50s/km quicker than my DCM pace and it felt every scrap of it.

Found the road to the turn pretty boring if I'm honest. There were some sections with savage camber too, which I didn't like much. First water stop was a bit of a wreckage for me - didn't see it coming, was on the outside and, contrary to my normal practise, I didn't have a bottle with me from the start. Had to cross across the group (though it turned out the Pacers had it covered and got spares) and ended up running behind the table and taking a bottle from a volunteer getting spares from his stock. I would have preferred if they'd had people on both sides of the group but I guess they have to consider the safety of the volunteers too.

Pacers had us well warned about the hill after the turn - as we got to it I noticed my Garmin was showing an error message about the lap memory being full and needing to be deleted (damn why didn't I prepare better?). So I was running up pretty much the worst hill on the route trying to find the option in the menu to delete old laps, with the error message re-appearing every 2 seconds or so and having to be cancelled again. By the time I got it sorted I was at the top of the hill, without having really noticed it - I wouldn't recommend it as a race strategy though!

From here it was a fairly steady pace up hill and down dale - found a lot of the road surface to be quite greasy which was a wee bit unnerving. At this stage I was getting to the front of the pace group and saw a girl with an Athlone t-shirt on her. Figured her not to be local and she'd been up the front from the start so took a sneaky look at the number - 720 - and it was indeed our own Career Move. Once myself and Up The 19th introduced ourselves (sorry to hear we missed you around this point Teeley) we had another few hundred metres out of the way. From then we stayed pretty much together to the end, none of us having much spare breath for chat. Found the steep downhill to be difficult but I was thrilled we were so close to the end - the sight of the retail park around Superquinn was very pleasant.

At this stage, even though the mile markers and watch were telling me we'd a long way to go, and I knew we'd to run around the nature park, I was still a bit distracted by the distance to be covered after we got off the road. In addition I'd already seen people ahead of us running uphill in the park and wasn't too pleased at that (I was pretty much running on fumes at that stage). Got into the park and saw people running both to my left and my right - figured that out as we got a bit closer.

From here the slog continued - didn't know where we were going or how far was left exactly, so at best it was a journey of discovery. UpThe19th was a shade ahead of me, CM a shade behind. It wasn't quite Air Corps formation running but, y'know, it wasn't bad.:D Couple of people were walking at this stage - tried to encourage one to jog and he asked for some water. Threw him my bottle with whatever was left in it - if you were one of the people I nearly beheaded (I'm a lousy shot but I couldn't leave him thirsty), I apologise sincerely! :o I think it was around this point I called back to see if CM was ok and got a "yeah - Go Boards" response, with what sounded like it could have been her last breath. Would have been worthy of a cheerleading team if we'd been prepared for it! Finally got in sight of the final bend and survived the last couple of hundred metres across the line. Watch was reading 1:38 and the target had not just been met but exceeded for all three of us.

The banana and chocolate bar in the bag were promptly devoured, water skulled, then in for the blaa (made in Co. Wexford!), tea and choc-chip cookie. Was nice to relax afterwards, though the legs stiffened up quite quickly (quads and calves are still tender today), and have the tea surrounded by the other Boardsies. Mrs. D wasn't enamoured with the course or her time - she was 23 secs outside her PB - so, always having high expectations of herself, wasn't over-pleased with the result. I thought she did a great job though - I find that running by yourself between pace groups is very much harder than running with a few people, especially if you don't know the course, and it was a tough enough course. Barring an entry in the Turkey Trot this was my last race of a year which saw me start running pretty much from scratch and complete 4 halves, 1 10m and 2 marathons. So I'm reasonably proud of what I've achieved.

That wasn't a very quick report after all :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

^^^ great report Dilbert, sounds like a tough course and a hard race, I could nearly feel your pain while reading that! You did fantastic, you've had some year, I bet you would never have thought after Edinburgh that you'd have a sub 4 marathon and a sub 1:40 half under your belt!

It must be tough at times with kids and both of you trying to juggle your running around that. The pair if you are an inspiration! Fair play to you both yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Weetabix wrote: »

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)
    Hopefully with PB's in all distances.
    Sub 24 min 5k (Current PB 25:50)
    Sub 50 min 10k (Current PB 54:31)
    Sub 90 min 10m (Current PB 93:11)
    Sub 2 hr 1/2 marathon (Current PB 02:01:53)
    Sub 4:15 marathon (Current PB 04:39:04)
    Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)
    Hopefully with PB's in all distances.
    Sub 24 min 5k (Current PB 25:50)
    sUB 23 MIN 5K (Current PB 23:47)
    Sub 50 min 10k (Current PB 54:31)
    Sub 90 min 10m (Current PB 93:11)
    Sub 2 hr 1/2 marathon (Current PB 02:01:53)
    Sub 4:15 marathon (Current PB 04:39:04)

Nice to be able to revise my goals already after yesterdays Jingle Bell 5k, great race and course, definitely think I can go sub 23 now as preparation for yesterday was terrible, not much running since DCM as little weetabix has been sick and not sleeping at night, meaning I haven't been sleeping and in no mood to go running in the evenings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Thanks NCMC - you're right about that. It was a tough but good year. Pity you couldn't make it yesterday - I'm sure we'd have bullied you into running with us - but we'll get you next time. UpThe19th reliably informs me that we're going for 1:35 in Wexford in April - that IS a PB course so I think it's a good target for you all...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Thanks NCMC - you're right about that. It was a tough but good year. Pity you couldn't make it yesterday - I'm sure we'd have bullied you into running with us - but we'll get you next time. UpThe19th reliably informs me that we're going for 1:35 in Wexford in April - that IS a PB course so I think it's a good target for you all...

Great stuff!! Just a tip on downhill running that i picked up earlier this year.... Loosen up and try kick your ass with your heel. Big loose strides. Its a great way to get a breather and make some great time up

Disappointed I didn't go in for a Blah. Had to high tail it back to the big smoke for the rugby.

Recovery run done, 5k with reindeer antlers on! Was a lot of fun, 30 wet rainy minutes and the season is now over!

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time learning to become a runner, I learned more about me this year than I have in my previous 39. I've been involved in many sports in my lifetime but none have come close to the enjoyment I've got from running.

A lot of my enjoyment (apart from the obvious) came from picking up the different medals at each race, I have them all out & they'll go on the tree with the decorations, but part of my work is with the Leinster Supporters and former coach Michael Cheika had a philosophy that trophys are good to enjoy for a while but then they need to be put away and forgotten with new goals then set; so come January, the tree will come down and the medals will be put away and the year will start afresh, new races, new goals and new medals.

Until then there's lots of core work, LSR's and xtraining to be done!

Gavlor wrote: »
    Great stuff!! Just a tip on downhill running that i picked up earlier this year.... Loosen up and try kick your ass with your heel. Big loose strides. Its a great way to get a breather and make some great time up

I was worried about slipping on that downhill. it looked wet and my 600mile runners haven't got much traction anymore!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I was worried about slipping on that downhill. it looked wet and my 600mile runners haven't got much traction anymore!!

Skating is cheating ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

jaysus lads with all these results, meno's fee (in beer) is going to be through the roof.

That said...i heard if you say "menoscemo" backwards 3 times, younganne appears...:D:D;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

upthe19th wrote: »
    jaysus lads with all these results, meno's fee (in beer) is going to be through the roof.

That said...i heard if you say "menoscemo" backwards 3 times, younganne appears...:D:D;):p

I wondered why he offered his services so easily,now I know why..
    He knows he's got the best bunch of Marathon Graduates ever under his wing:D

upthe19th wrote: »

Did anyone else get next week's schedule PM'ed to them.

20 minute long strides , uphill, 4min pace, every day....ah i see;)

I take it all back:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

This weekend I opted for the rush 10k, inspired by all your great Waterford results I knew I had to try for pb! Previous fingal 10k pb was 54:35
    I did something to my lowr back yesterday that made me consider not running but hot water bottle and deep heat eased it enough.
    The course was 2 laps and the scenery was nice, conditions were good.
    I took off from the back and passed people for first 5k which felt good, then at half way I felt I'd gone too fast and slowed for a breather. The 2nd lap I just tried to keep moving a steady pace and remembered meno's tips! Picked a few lads and chased them, passed most of them. The last km was hard work. Finished in 47;18 with a 5k split of 24:18, am delighted!!!
    I was sure the 1st half was faster than 2nd! But no.
    Well worth the 15euro and well organised.
    Time for a creamy Guinness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

OK, now that I'm on PC rather than phone, here's a quick report. First the Garmin data.

Was feeling fairly meh about this event all week. Even up to Friday night myself & Mrs. D were saying how we weren't looking forward to it - we just wanted to get it over with. To be honest, like it or not, I think that for me this was down to the expectation of racing it hard rather than just a sociable event. I hadn't run all week for a number of reasons and just wasn't feeling up for it.

When we pulled up in Woodies car park we decided to try drop our bag at Kingfisher (as advised on the WAC Facebook page) so we'd have warm clothes for later. We were just walking past the guy getting out of the car parked beside us and he says "are ye boardies?" - and so we met Up The 19th. Three of us headed up to Kingfisher to be told at the gate by another runner that there was actually no bag drop. No emergency. Back to the car and left the stuff there. Dilemma #1 - how much to wear. Had brought woolly hat, ear warmer band, extra t-shirt, tights, gloves, etc. - everything that I should have been wearing for DCM. In the end I went with the running vest over long-sleeved shirt, shorts, ear warmer band and gloves. Thankfully I didn't wear more as it wasn't nearly as cold as I'd planned for - the gloves and ear warmer came off at about 4m 'cos I was sweatin'.

Usual pit-stop before the start, followed by a bit of an ould warm-up. Met Opus & Cabaal wearing Boards t-shirts - I know Cabaal got his target but I'm not sure how Opus got on. Mrs. D went in at the back of the 1:30 group to try improve on her Dublin PB of 1:35:0X. Myself and UpThe19th went into the 1:40 group. We were both looking around for no. 720 (Career Move) but no sign. Got underway and the pace was immediately brisk - so much so that our pacers briefly passed Mrs. D before the 2nd roundabout before pulling back. It soon became obvious that this was going to be no walk in the park though - we were running 50s/km quicker than my DCM pace and it felt every scrap of it.

Found the road to the turn pretty boring if I'm honest. There were some sections with savage camber too, which I didn't like much. First water stop was a bit of a wreckage for me - didn't see it coming, was on the outside and, contrary to my normal practise, I didn't have a bottle with me from the start. Had to cross across the group (though it turned out the Pacers had it covered and got spares) and ended up running behind the table and taking a bottle from a volunteer getting spares from his stock. I would have preferred if they'd had people on both sides of the group but I guess they have to consider the safety of the volunteers too.

Pacers had us well warned about the hill after the turn - as we got to it I noticed my Garmin was showing an error message about the lap memory being full and needing to be deleted (damn why didn't I prepare better?). So I was running up pretty much the worst hill on the route trying to find the option in the menu to delete old laps, with the error message re-appearing every 2 seconds or so and having to be cancelled again. By the time I got it sorted I was at the top of the hill, without having really noticed it - I wouldn't recommend it as a race strategy though!

From here it was a fairly steady pace up hill and down dale - found a lot of the road surface to be quite greasy which was a wee bit unnerving. At this stage I was getting to the front of the pace group and saw a girl with an Athlone t-shirt on her. Figured her not to be local and she'd been up the front from the start so took a sneaky look at the number - 720 - and it was indeed our own Career Move. Once myself and Up The 19th introduced ourselves (sorry to hear we missed you around this point Teeley) we had another few hundred metres out of the way. From then we stayed pretty much together to the end, none of us having much spare breath for chat. Found the steep downhill to be difficult but I was thrilled we were so close to the end - the sight of the retail park around Superquinn was very pleasant.

At this stage, even though the mile markers and watch were telling me we'd a long way to go, and I knew we'd to run around the nature park, I was still a bit distracted by the distance to be covered after we got off the road. In addition I'd already seen people ahead of us running uphill in the park and wasn't too pleased at that (I was pretty much running on fumes at that stage). Got into the park and saw people running both to my left and my right - figured that out as we got a bit closer.

From here the slog continued - didn't know where we were going or how far was left exactly, so at best it was a journey of discovery. UpThe19th was a shade ahead of me, CM a shade behind. It wasn't quite Air Corps formation running but, y'know, it wasn't bad.:D Couple of people were walking at this stage - tried to encourage one to jog and he asked for some water. Threw him my bottle with whatever was left in it - if you were one of the people I nearly beheaded (I'm a lousy shot but I couldn't leave him thirsty), I apologise sincerely! :o I think it was around this point I called back to see if CM was ok and got a "yeah - Go Boards" response, with what sounded like it could have been her last breath. Would have been worthy of a cheerleading team if we'd been prepared for it! Finally got in sight of the final bend and survived the last couple of hundred metres across the line. Watch was reading 1:38 and the target had not just been met but exceeded for all three of us.

The banana and chocolate bar in the bag were promptly devoured, water skulled, then in for the blaa (made in Co. Wexford!), tea and choc-chip cookie. Was nice to relax afterwards, though the legs stiffened up quite quickly (quads and calves are still tender today), and have the tea surrounded by the other Boardsies. Mrs. D wasn't enamoured with the course or her time - she was 23 secs outside her PB - so, always having high expectations of herself, wasn't over-pleased with the result. I thought she did a great job though - I find that running by yourself between pace groups is very much harder than running with a few people, especially if you don't know the course, and it was a tough enough course. Barring an entry in the Turkey Trot this was my last race of a year which saw me start running pretty much from scratch and complete 4 halves, 1 10m and 2 marathons. So I'm reasonably proud of what I've achieved.

That wasn't a very quick report after all :o
    Bloody hell Dilbert if that's the kind of race you can run when you're feeling 'meh' I won't be hurrying to race you when you're spot on!! You're a great team player. There was a few people I saw walking that you got running again as well as keeping me up to the job :D I remember saying "go boards' ...... it was an effort alright. I'd probably have been better keeping my mouth shut :D Sorry Mrs D didn't have a better race - still a fantastic time though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

This weekend I opted for the rush 10k, inspired by all your great Waterford results I knew I had to try for pb! Previous fingal 10k pb was 54:35
    I did something to my lowr back yesterday that made me consider not running but hot water bottle and deep heat eased it enough.
    I took off from the back and passed people for first 5k which felt good, then at half way I felt I'd gone too fast and slowed for a breather. The 2nd lap I just tried to keep moving a steady pace and remembered meno's tips! Picked a few lads and chased them, passed most of them. The last km was hard work. Finished in 47;18 with a 5k split of 24:18, am delighted!!!
    Great running there Stephen. Well done :D

Great stuff stephen..7 minutes off you time:eek:...get 2 pints:)

Ha ha thanks a lot, we are all making good progress. Looking forward to being part of the next group event and meeting u all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I would def be interested in Wexford, it's a bit of a trek for me, but the timing would be perfect for Cork City Marathon, would give me a good idea of where I'm at. Think 1:35 would've a bit optimistic for me, but I'll do my best to snap at your heels! So that's Ballycotton 10 in March, Wexford in April and CCM in June... My dance card is filling up nicely!

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    I would def be interested in Wexford, it's a bit of a trek for me, but the timing would be perfect for Cork City Marathon, would give me a good idea of where I'm at. Think 1:35 would've a bit optimistic for me, but I'll do my best to snap at your heels! So that's Ballycotton 10 in March, Wexford in April and CCM in June... My dance card is filling up nicely!
    I'd join yis for Wexford and I'm registered for cork too.

Advertisement