Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

coalshed wrote: »
    Regarding January races, has anyone any experience of The Great Heath 10k, which takes place near Portlaoise on 20th of January?

http://www.runireland.com/events/great-heath-10k

Sounds like it may be suitable for Dublin/Mid-land located folks.

No experience of this one but it's on my maybe list. My Brother lives close by & he is saying he'll do Cork with me in June - he is one of these people with muscle tone everywhere but does no sport, put's it down to 'hard work'! and he did a 10k training run with me & was brand new afterwards, and he smokes! so I told him we'd race this Great Heath 10k. the area is all flat around there.

blockic wrote: »
    How is everyone looking in their new boardsAC tops? :cool:

I'll find out when I get home from work.. is it nice yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Nah, bed > early morning runs = fact ;)

That is steep, didnt check the price as I won't be doing it. AC races are much better value and I prefer going them. The money is going to the right place instead of commerically driven races that are only after profit.

If AC's can do it for 20-25 (Like Waterford), 40 is just over the top. Unless 15 per entry is going to charity, which I very much doubt.
    I totally agree, I would be very slow to pay more than €25 for a half or €15 for a 10k at this stage. When you see how well run and organised some of the cheaper ones are, it makes you wonder where the extra money is going. The one that takes the biscuit is Clonakilty next weekend, the half marathon is €50! For an extra tenner you could get early bird entry into Cork City Marathon!
    How is everyone looking in their new boardsAC tops? cool.png
    Aha! I knew there was a reason I didn’t get out of bed to jogging this morning, it was natures way of telling me to hang on til this evening and do my inaugural run in my spanking new Boards t-shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Just arrived in the post, love it :D Looking forward to wearing it, no more wondering who the boardies are with these bad boys on, yay :p

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

No experience of this one but it's on my maybe list. My Brother lives close by & he is saying he'll do Cork with me in June - he is one of these people with muscle tone everywhere but does no sport, put's it down to 'hard work'! and he did a 10k training run with me & was brand new afterwards, and he smokes! so I told him we'd race this Great Heath 10k. the area is all flat around there.

Nothing like a bit of sibling rivalry to liven up a day out :)

I'll definitely look into this race as it'd only be an hour up the road from me, and there doesn't seem to be too many options around that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Was heading out the door for a run when the postman arrived(felt like a small kid seeing santa arriving:D).
    Quick dash back indoors,put on new boardsAC top,then frantic rush around the house looking for a cheque book to post off Ballycotton entry:p

Running top is cool & has been washed & all now,no problems so far:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Yep, good quality and light, I'll wear it for my next race outing for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Yeah, it looks great, and surprisingly fits me even though I've been doing more eating than running over the last month :pac:

It's the kick in d'arse that I needed. Running tonight for sure, and start building up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

HOT :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

HOT :D

Wheres the picture to prove it????

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Wheres the picture to prove it????
    Hell will freeze over before I post a picture of me on here :p

No you don't. Us non-morning runners get on just fine!:)
    Nah, bed > early morning runs = fact ;)
    228986_388766467863160_1571895199_n.jpg

^^^ Very true! especially the people part! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Hell will freeze over before I post a picture of me on here :p

You mean to say that you are not the horse?!

Well I never

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Gavlor wrote: »
    Fiifii, don't think you're the only one to find Saturday tough. It was without doubt my hardest race of the year. Really tough going but well done for digging in and pulling out a pb :)

I found it tough, but in an enjoyable kind of way!

ncmc wrote: »
    The one that takes the biscuit is Clonakilty next weekend, the half marathon is €50! For an extra tenner you could get early bird entry into Cork City Marathon!

The Connemarathon is €70; regardless of whether you are doing the half, full or ultra. for that price I'd expect someone to carry me.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

No sign of mine today.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Anyone thinking of doing the dungarvan ten mile Jan 27th..there are now only 150 places left. Filling up fast.

dechol wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of doing the dungarvan ten mile Jan 27th..there are now only 150 places left. Filling up fast.

Yep, I will be there. Have it booked an all. Supposed to be pretty flat.

Yep, I will be there. Have it booked an all. Supposed to be pretty flat.
    Me too. Signed up last night :D

• Advertisement

I'm in for Dungarvan.

Has anyone done the Wicklow Half (or 10k) - taking place on 24th March 2013. considering it, but i'm not sure if I really want to.

I ended up doing 15 races in some form or another in 2012 and I think that was a lot, not sure if I want to do that many next year.

No sign of mine today.:(
    Got mine! Very nice, snug fit. I'm sure yours is on its way! Maybe pm the chap if it doesn't arrive tmw. Leg is a bit sore after yesterday so I'm skipping my run for this eve! Hot whiskey and bad Santa instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Has anyone done the Wicklow Half (or 10k) - taking place on 24th March 2013. considering it, but i'm not sure if I really want to.

I have done the 10km, very very indulating. Climb of about a mile just over a mile in and its very up & down from there to finish. Its well run but not a course for a PB to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My Boards t shirt was waiting for me when I got home, delighted with it, nice fit, great quality and it's in the Monaghan colours, so I can wear it with pride when I'm up home :)

It got it's inaugural run tonight, but unfortunately I had to wear my cheapie Aldi jacket over it and it still got wet :(

You were going so well until...
    Monaghan colours

:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ah go on so - just signed meself & Mrs. D up for this. Will have the Enniscorthy 10k a couple of weeks later but what the heck.:rolleyes:

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Ah go on so - just signed meself & Mrs. D up for this. Will have the Enniscorthy 10k a couple of weeks later but what the heck.:rolleyes:

That's what I like to hear. Will definitely make it a priority to rendez-vous this time Dilbert!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

My Boards t shirt was waiting for me when I got home, delighted with it, nice fit, great quality and it's in the Monaghan colours, so I can wear it with pride when I'm up home :)

It got it's inaugural run tonight, but unfortunately I had to wear my cheapie Aldi jacket over it and it still got wet :(

Sorry for asking, but where'd u get the boards t shirt? Be a great way to recognise fellow boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sorry for asking, but where'd u get the boards t shirt? Be a great way to recognise fellow boardsies.

PM Kurt, i think he might have 1 or 2 left
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056797770

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Sorry Mrs D didn't have a better race - still a fantastic time though!
    Thing is that, by my reckoning, she was 6th in her category, she hit 10k in 42 mins (2min PB) and 10m also ahead of PB! She just has high expectations of herself. And expectations of continuing to be faster than me - she's even starting to try Meno's plan to ensure that keeps on happening!:p
    I would def be interested in Wexford, it's a bit of a trek for me, but the timing would be perfect for Cork City Marathon, would give me a good idea of where I'm at. Think 1:35 would've a bit optimistic for me, but I'll do my best to snap at your heels!
    I'm actually re-thinking doing the Waterford full - the idea of that 6 mile run from Tramore being the last 6 miles of a marathon is putting me off. Too long, featureless and unpopulated. So I'm thinking of either Limerick or probably Cork - one of my colleagues has run all three so I'll have a word with him about his experiences (I think he got his PB in Limerick, so I'll have to bear that in mind).

Just on the Wexford half, I think it's €35 until the end of January, then it's up to €40. It is pricy enough alright but I did enjoy the course last year (despite the horizontal hailstones near the end!).
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Most importantly you will see your ideal Easy/recovery/Long run paces based on current fitness.
    E.G. Dilbert75 ran a 1:38:40 half, so his easy pace is now 8-9 min/mile and recovery is 9-9:45/mile.
    Ran 3m tonight at that "easy" pace - jaysus, I'm not looking forward to the hard pace! Before now I was running each km in 5:55 or slower, now I'm around 5:20 - it's a big step up in pace.
    FiiFii wrote: »
    Got a bit lost in the morning trying to get to Woodies (some lovely(!) person sent me in the wrong direction)
    Chanced taking the city-centre route on the way in and was crossing the bridge around the time the train was getting in - was looking out for a runnery-looking person wearing a pink fleece but you weren't to be seen - but sure you got there anyway. :p
    Libby had a good sniff of the lads doing press ups as she passed by (Libby being my dog – not some pervert I run with that goes round sniffing sweaty hurlers!) :D
    :D
    Set my alarm to get up and get today’s run out of the way…. Yeah, you can imagine how that went. I need some of the beans that Career Move seems to be full of! :o
    If you find a supply of those anywhere...share!

BTW I've just looked at my Garmin data and found that I hit 10km in 44:57 and 16km (just shy of 10m) in 69:58! Previous 10m best was in Dublin 10m and was 77:XX - c.10% improvement. Wow.

Advertisement