Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

@ Dilbert (but also everyone else):

Take the runs as easy as you need. You just raced a half on Saturday so keep everything at recovery pace until the session at the weekend (barring the strides) or until your legs feel up to it.

If you find the McMillan prescribed 'easy' pace to be hard, then by definition it is not easy. The point of me posting that was so that you don't go faster than the upper prescribed pace on easy days. Go as slow as you like (within reason).

Dilbert75 wrote: »

BTW I've just looked at my Garmin data and found that I hit 10km in 44:57 and 16km (just shy of 10m) in 69:58! Previous 10m best was in Dublin 10m and was 77:XX - c.10% improvement. Wow.

Hate to bust your bubble (or give you too tough a 10 mile target) but the above would mean you ran 4:30/km for the first 10k, sped up to almost 4min/km for the next 6 then slowed down to almost 6 min/ km for the last 5. Doesn't seem right !

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

BTW I've just looked at my Garmin data and found that I hit 10km in 44:57 and 16km (just shy of 10m) in 69:58! Previous 10m best was in Dublin 10m and was 77:XX - c.10% improvement. Wow.

I checked my 10 mile time for saturday dilbert, it was a PB of 1:14:xx.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

upthe19th wrote: »

I checked my 10 mile time for saturday dilbert, it was a PB of 1:14:xx.

Hey I was liking that bubble!

Must check the data again but I started my watch at 11.04 and I'm pretty sure it showed the 16th km split at 12.14. That said, 1.14 would be pretty good too so I'd be happy with that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Hey I was liking that bubble!

Must check the data again but I started my watch at 11.04 and I'm pretty sure it showed the 16th km split at 12.14. That said, 1.14 would be pretty good too so I'd be happy with that too.

Sorry to bust your bubble fella, I will double check tonight...you have to leave a little bit of work for yourself to do;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm actually re-thinking doing the Waterford full - the idea of that 6 mile run from Tramore being the last 6 miles of a marathon is putting me off. Too long, featureless and unpopulated. So I'm thinking of either Limerick or probably Cork - one of my colleagues has run all three so I'll have a word with him about his experiences (I think he got his PB in Limerick, so I'll have to bear that in mind).
    Cork, Cork, Cork!!! Go on, you know you want to! Look at it this way, if you do Cork, you have a full 4 weeks extra to train, so if you’re following an 18 week plan, you don’t have to start until the end of Jan when hopefully the weather will be improving rather than the start of Jan which will probably be Baltic! :D

Cork is a pretty flat course, there’s only one hilly bit that I can think of in and around the Jack Lynch tunnel and that comes at mile 6/7 I think. The rest is pretty flat and I do know that there’s a great atmosphere there.

Actually, Limerick might be an option for me for the half, bit closer to me than Wexford. With regards to the price, I think the price of the half is higher if it is part of a full marathon rather than a stand alone event. The half in Limerick is €45/55 and Cork is €42/52/62… Ouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thing is that, by my reckoning, she was 6th in her category, she hit 10k in 42 mins (2min PB) and 10m also ahead of PB! She just has high expectations of herself. And expectations of continuing to be faster than me - she's even starting to try Meno's plan to ensure that keeps on happening!:p

If you find a supply of those anywhere...share!

Great running by Mrs D. Do you think we should be sharing Meno's plan with her though......we'll never catch up to her!!!!

Career Move is not for sharing her beans......with anyone :p

My 10 mile time was 1:14:47 :D

Do Limerick....all the cool people are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    Cork, Cork, Cork!!!...

Cork is a pretty flat course...there’s a great atmosphere there.

+1

It's also the capital...so many positives!;)

Cork, Cork, Cork!!! Go on, you know you want to! Look at it this way, if you do Cork, you have a full 4 weeks extra to train, so if you’re following an 18 week plan, you don’t have to start until the end of Jan when hopefully the weather will be improving rather than the start of Jan which will probably be Baltic! :D

Cork is a pretty flat course, there’s only one hilly bit that I can think of in and around the Jack Lynch tunnel and that comes at mile 6/7 I think. The rest is pretty flat and I do know that there’s a great atmosphere there.
    blockic wrote: »
    +1

It's also the capital...so many positives!;)
    This message was brought to you by the 'Do Cork Marathon Tourism Board' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

My 10 mile time was 1:14:47 :D

The weight of evidence suggests that I did my sums wrong and missed the last km - I started and stuck with Up The 19th, so therefore my 10m time was 74min - still a pb though. And now I've a target for Dungarvan!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Brought down to earth after the weekends success with a failed run today!

My schedule is a bit different in terms of when i do the sessions so ended up attempting (the key word here) the 4 x 1 mile at 5 mile pace today.

Did the first one in my 5k pace time (into the wind), did the second one a bit slower (not by choice), and had to stop in the third. Finished off with a few miles at easy.

Bit off a bit more than I could chew, first time stopping a session so far, damn it. Found a new MaxHR of 188 though! I think I started dreaming of 5m times that are a bit outside of my reach just yet and couldn't back them up when I got stuck in.

So word to the wise on the sessions, don't start off the sessions too fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Just seen that the John treacy 10 mile is now full

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

miguelk wrote: »

My schedule is a bit different in terms of when i do the sessions so ended up attempting (the key word here) the 4 x 1 mile at 5 mile pace today.

Did the first one in my 5k pace time (into the wind), did the second one a bit slower (not by choice), and had to stop in the third. Finished off with a few miles at easy.

Bit off a bit more than I could chew, first time stopping a session so far, damn it. Found a new MaxHR of 188 though! I think I started dreaming of 5m times that are a bit outside of my reach just yet and couldn't back them up when I got stuck in.

That's tough, but there are still positives in it. You got out and did a session. You now know that a particular pace is currently beyond you and you didn't actually stop, you just stopped the 4 x1mile bit, you adapted to the way you felt.

If a particular session is not right at the time, it is always better to listen to what our body tells us than to push through it. There's a difference between HTFU & going too hard.

Tomorrow, the next day or next week might be the right time but today just wasent.

It's a bit philosophical, even for me, but the body will always tell you when enough is enough.

That's tough, but there are still positives in it. You got out and did a session. You now know that a particular pace is currently beyond you and you didn't actually stop, you just stopped the 4 x1mile bit, you adapted to the way you felt.

If a particular session is not right at the time, it is always better to listen to what our body tells us than to push through it. There's a difference between HTFU & going too hard.

Tomorrow, the next day or next week might be the right time but today just wasent.

It's a bit philosophical, even for me, but the body will always tell you when enough is enough.
    +1, you could go out tomorrow and do the same session and absolutely fly through it! We all have bad runs every now and again, as Killian says, look at the positives, you went out in this horrible weather and did a tough session, you didn’t stop, you just slowed it down a bit. Don’t beat yourself up over one bad run.

By the way Killian, thanks for the great idea of using the DCM medal as a Christmas decoration! I had been wondering what to do with it, and that’s just perfect. I have a nice ribbon threaded through it and it’s going to look great on the tree. It will be a lovely memory for years to come. My husband got it engraved with the date and the time for me on the sly, so it’s a precious keepsake now!

miguelk wrote: »

What pace did you do the mile reps at?

It is quite possible your legs weren't fully recovered from the race at the weekend.

I agree with Killian, just chalk it down as a bad run. You have also learned a lesson about pacing. Try to pace them better next time- do the first one a little slower than planned and try to build into it. Also try to find a totally flat route with as little wind as possible. If factors are against you (such as wind/hills) then allow that interval to be a little slower. I find the sessions for the short races to the hardest ones you can do, they really just involve instant suffering :mad: and you are on a total edge with pace etc. A few seconds too fast and you can blow the whole thing!! They are charachter building though...

I will add one thing: resist the temptation to put things right and repeat the session this week- Just let it go!! Next week there'll be another session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

+1 on what menoscemo says

from reading your report you mention 1st one @ 5k pace into the wind would probably have you closer to 3k effort so with this you are completely changing the dynamics of the session to one which requires more rest between reps so dont be too disheartened regarding your aspirations of certain 5 mile times. Its harder to maintain a pace when you go out too hard than increase as session goes on.

Often you are better off going off conservative in the first rep for a few reasons

- you are fresh and as such are usually working harder than you think. Remember it takes time for your heart rate to climb so percieved effort here will be lower than actual effort. Often my first rep is my slowest in sessions and build from there.

keep it up miguelk the hard days make the PBs all the sweeter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Is this weeks spreadsheet not up or am i missing it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    Is this weeks spreadsheet not up or am i missing it??
    Should have gone to specsavers......

big_funny_glasses.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Should have gone to specsavers......

big_funny_glasses.jpg

Cant see it on my iphone will have to wait till i get to a PC so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

+1, you could go out tomorrow and do the same session and absolutely fly through it! We all have bad runs every now and again, as Killian says, look at the positives, you went out in this horrible weather and did a tough session, you didn’t stop, you just slowed it down a bit. Don’t beat yourself up over one bad run.

By the way Killian, thanks for the great idea of using the DCM medal as a Christmas decoration! I had been wondering what to do with it, and that’s just perfect. I have a nice ribbon threaded through it and it’s going to look great on the tree. It will be a lovely memory for years to come. My husband got it engraved with the date and the time for me on the sly, so it’s a precious keepsake now!
    Love the idea of the medals on the tree too!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Thanks Ecoli,NCMC,Killian & Meno.

Did the first rep at around 6:20, it was actually with the wind for a bit (which is why i felt so good to begin) then there was a turn at half way and hit the wind coming the opposite direction but I kept the pace. Doesn't sound all that smart now!

For the 5k run I had an ambitious time but managed to do the intervals, and then hitting the target I thought I was bullet-proof.

Advice is much appreciated. Won't be over doing it for the rest of the week, gonna do a nice LSR up in the rolling Drumlins of Monaghan (your County NCMC I think), fantastic spot for hilly scenic running.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

I'm actually re-thinking doing the Waterford full - the idea of that 6 mile run from Tramore being the last 6 miles of a marathon is putting me off. Too long, featureless and unpopulated.

Not only is this a long stretch but when you reach the Ballindud Roundabout(the one on the ring road) you have to head south along it to the next roundabout ,turnaround & back to the Ballindud Rounabout.
    At 23 odd miles pyscholigically thats a killer unless your really prepared for it.
    Also the road is not closed so you are supposed to run inside the yellow line against traffic & could make overtaking a little more difficult.
    Also a very long monotonous stretch from the Tramore cross on the old N25 road all the way into Tramore,approx 7 odd miles.
    Even at the start of the marathon at 9am the quays were empty & devoid of any real atmosphere.
    In saying all that there was an excellent atmosphere in Tramore,when we passed the relay point/half marathon start point the shouts of encouragement were heart warming & the finish itself in the RSC had a brilliant atmosphere & was very easy to meet the family afterwards(the showers in the RSC afterwards were an added bonus.
    It was the first year of the marathon(& my first marathon too) & I'm sure
    that the organisers will take any input onboard & try to improve it.

For me it's a toss up between Waterford & Cork,I would like to try Cork but the decision will depend on family commitments & the OH's work schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Younganne wrote: »

PM Kurt, i think he might have 1 or 2 left
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056797770

nice one Younganne, perfectly timed link I was able to nip in and get one
    Glad to get my BAC shirt before I officially join Harriers in Jan

I have been out for a few easy miles both days after my HM on Sun, with that and bike commute hoping to be up for session by weekend

Im planning to race s 5k on 16th so thats 2 weeks to be race fit again

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Wahoo, got my boards t-shirt in work today (was dead jealous of everyone getting theirs yesterday, mine must have been stuck in work post room!). Didn't wear out tonight as was fleece time so inaugural wear tomorrow. I'll look forward to spreading the boards AC name all round the world now :)

Anyone else's legs still sore from waterford? Moved my easy 3 miler to tonight as still v stiff and tired yesterday but can def feel it still so be taking it easy this wk!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Chanced taking the city-centre route on the way in and was crossing the bridge around the time the train was getting in - was looking out for a runnery-looking person wearing a pink fleece but you weren't to be seen - but sure you got there anyway. :p

Ah thanks for the thought! Was freezing cold so threw on a jacket too in the end so that kinda ruled out being spotted by anyone on the way! Congrats on the great running at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

FiiFii wrote: »
    Anyone else's legs still sore from waterford? Moved my easy 3 miler to tonight as still v stiff and tired yesterday but can def feel it still so be taking it easy this wk!

Yup, exact same. Will probably take about a week of easy days before we are back fully fresh again.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Wahoo, got my boards t-shirt in work today (was dead jealous of everyone getting theirs yesterday, mine must have been stuck in work post room!). Didn't wear out tonight as was fleece time so inaugural wear tomorrow. I'll look forward to spreading the boards AC name all round the world now :)

Yep,like blockic still a little stiff here too,but don't forget you had an extra 4 miles or so on the rest of us with your extra long warmup;)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Fifi getting BAC top delivered to work was a great idea - assuming mine not posted yet I'm going to get it diverted there too! You'll be a wicked ambassador on your travels - spreading the gospel about the friendly marathon - and inviting all the runners you meet to DCM 2013!

Defo post HM effort my calves are tender too. I've been glad of the bike as part of recovery. I went up to AC club last night and did the 5k warm-up on my own so I could take it real easy and then did some easy laps while the others were running intervals. So I basically had the chats and did my own thing!. You raced it out in Waterford ( not forgetting the plank-off!) so you prob need at least the 1 easy day per mile raced! It might even be time to treat yourself to a nice massage to ease the legs out - they'd probably love you for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Brrrrr...chilly, slippy run this morning...just glad I wasn't doing speedwork - found it tricky enough to run slowly without ending up on my backside - anyone attempting speedwork in those conditions, eh good luck with that one :p

Advertisement