Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone any advice on a hip flexor injury?

It settles down after a few days off but flares up again on running.

I am icing it at the moment but impossible to compress as where it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Trampas wrote: »
    Anyone any advice on a hip flexor injury?

It settles down after a few days off but flares up again on running.

I am icing it at the moment but impossible to compress as where it is.

It could be a million different things (various muscles and/or tendons, cartilage damage etc).
    No point anyone giving you any advice without knowing exactly what the problem is. I think it is best to go see a good physio if it is an injury that is not going away...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Runchick wrote: »
    Brrrrr...chilly, slippy run this morning...just glad I wasn't doing speedwork - found it tricky enough to run slowly without ending up on my backside - anyone attempting speedwork in those conditions, eh good luck with that one :p
    Was very slippy out this morning when I was out dog walking, it could really throw a spanner in the works if we get a couple of weeks of freezing footpaths. Will have to become best friends with someone who owns a treadmill!

I was planning to do some speedwork tonight, but I am probably not going to get a race in January, so not sure what speedwork I should be doing. I was thinking of 2 miles warm up, 1 mile HMP, 1 easy, 1 HMP, 1 cool down, total 6 miles. Is this enough or should I try and throw another mile at HMP in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Brrrrr...chilly, slippy run this morning
    ncmc wrote: »
    Was very slippy out this morning when I was out dog walking

:rolleyes: ....:p

blockic wrote: »
    :rolleyes: ....:p
    In my defense, I was only walking, not running! Don't worry, I'm still a fully signed up member of the 'warm bed over running' club ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Was very slippy out this morning when I was out dog walking, it could really throw a spanner in the works if we get a couple of weeks of freezing footpaths. Will have to become best friends with someone who owns a treadmill!

I was planning to do some speedwork tonight, but I am probably not going to get a race in January, so not sure what speedwork I should be doing. I was thinking of 2 miles warm up, 1 mile HMP, 1 easy, 1 HMP, 1 cool down, total 6 miles. Is this enough or should I try and throw another mile at HMP in there?

Depends what race you're training for really but I think you could do with more than 2 of the 6 miles at HM pace. For a run like that I would normally do I mile warm up, between 4 - 7 miles at HM pace, 1m cool down. This would be a threshold run rather than speedwork so during the week I would also do 10 x 800m @ slightly faster than 10k pace with 30sec rest, and easy running on the other days. I'm training for a half marathon so you have to change this to suit yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

In my defense, I was only walking, not running! Don't worry, I'm still a fully signed up member of the 'warm bed over running' club ;)

In my defence warm bed is not an option in this house so getting the runners on is the next best option, I run while Mr Runchick looks after the crazy 2 yr old - who thinks 6am is a lie in :eek: - and has breakfast ready for me when I get back :D

menoscemo wrote: »
    It could be a million different things (various muscles and/or tendons, cartilage damage etc).
    No point anyone giving you any advice without knowing exactly what the problem is. I think it is best to go see a good physio if it is an injury that is not going away...

+1 I am seeing physio with a hip flexor issue - damaged tendon. Have stretches to do and limited running for a week or two. I had been doing exercises that were aggravating it though before I saw physio, so definitely worth getting it seen to in case you are doing something that might be making it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I see early predictions of cold weather with potential for snow coming in around the 11th of this month.

http://www.meteotimes.net/2012/08/peter-odonnells-long-range-weather.html

Has anyone run in snow / icy conditions with those over-the-shoe grip things? (Not their technical name)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

In my defence warm bed is not an option in this house so getting the runners on is the next best option, I run while Mr Runchick looks after the crazy 2 yr old - who thinks 6am is a lie in :eek: - and has breakfast ready for me when I get back :D

That's still no excuse for freakish behaviour.
    How do you expect your 2yr old to ever adapt to morning sleeping if mammy is legging it off at first light?? *

*not a qualified medical/psychological opinion

• Advertisement

If you are not training for anything in particular, than maybe try an old 'classic' type of speedwork session.
    Try maybe 10 x 400m or 5 x 800m at 5k Pace. Take 90 seconds rest/recovery jog between intervals.
    If you don't fancy that just try a nice 6-7 mile run with 2 sets of Pyramind Strides!!

Another session you could try is a Fartlek. Here you can just jog along and randomly do fast bits in the run. Maybe spot a lampost in the distance and decide to go fast up to that point then go back to your easy jog and repeat. Fartlek is unstructured speedwork but the change in paces makes it beneficial speedwork.

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you are not training for anything in particular, than maybe try an old 'classic' type of speedwork session.
    Try maybe 10 x 400m or 5 x 800m at 5k Pace. Take 90 seconds rest/recovery jog between intervals.
    If you don't fancy that just try a nice 6-7 mile run with 2 sets of Pyramind Strides!!

Another session you could try is a Fartlek. Here you can just jog along and randomly do fast bits in the run. Maybe spot a lampost in the distance and decide to go fast up to that point then go back to your easy jog and repeat. Fartlek is unstructured speedwork but the change in paces makes it beneficial speedwork.
    Thanks Meno, will try the 10 x 400m @ 5K tonight and see how I get on. I don't think i'm particularly built for speed, so will start easy and go from there!

Thanks Meno, will try the 10 x 400m @ 5K tonight and see how I get on. I don't think i'm particularly built for speed, so will start easy and go from there!

That session does not particualrly require you to be built for any particualr speed as you are going at your 5k pace. It is more a a strength session as the idea is to hold the pace all through so that the feeling you get doing that last few reps will be similar to how you feel for the last few km of a 5k race. So whether your 5k pace is 4min/km or 6 min/km it should feel equally hard.

Anyways if you don't have access to a track the easiest thing is to find a nice flat stretch and run up and down it. Set you Garmin up to lap 0.4km or 0.25 miles. Press 'lap' button at the start of each interval and your watch should bleep at the end of each 400m.

Back from physio and its been the best visit yet - think we've got to the bottom of all my running injuries - basically poor running form. All down to posture - leaning too far forward, and doing a 'whipping' action with my right foot when running. Explains all my problems - and is totally fixable with the right exercises :) Weak glutes and lower abs are the main culprits - so I might even get a toned butt out of all this :D So delighted, had to share :D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Back from physio and its been the best visit yet - think we've got to the bottom of all my running injuries - basically poor running form. All down to posture - leaning too far forward, and doing a 'whipping' action with my right foot when running. Explains all my problems - and is totally fixable with the right exercises :) Weak glutes and lower abs are the main culprits - so I might even get a toned butt out of all this :D So delighted, had to share :D

Hey I was at physio this morning too and my weak glutes and abs are probably my problem to. Gas when you go cos your knee is sore and they tell you your ass is the problem! I had my glutes worked on with his elbow, OUCH!! Will you be out for long? I'm probably looking at christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Going to go out for a very slow three miles .first time out in about three weeks! Hopefully knee holds it together or maybe I should be hoping my ass holds it together !!!

Deedee2012 wrote: »

Hey I was at physio this morning too and my weak glutes and abs are probably my problem to. Gas when you go cos your knee is sore and they tell you your ass is the problem! I had my glutes worked on with his elbow, OUCH!! Will you be out for long? I'm probably looking at christmas.

I'm ok to run but not race, already had a week or so off and easing back in to it now.
    Just need to try to clench when running,that should be intersting :D out til Christmas, - ouch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

[*]We do not give out medical advice. Injuries may have common symptoms but are unique to the individual - just because you were able to keep training with X injury or were out for months because of Y doesn't mean that the same will apply to someone else. Bad advice given here and followed through could aggravate an injury and prevent an athlete making a full recovery in as rapid a time as possible. This restriction is Boards-wide and purposely heavy-handed. So don't feel offended if your thread about a sprained ankle (which you may deem "non-medical") gets locked

I do the following exercises at least 3 times a week, they only take a maximum of 15 minutes, I do them before heading to bed. I have felt stronger and run better with only 4 weeks or so under my belt.

I am sure there are other exercises out there, but these work for me...

Runners World Core Exercises

Mod note: General advice ok (advice on core exercises are fine) however exercises which you were given by physio to deal with your problem is individual to your case hence the snip in your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Deedee2012 wrote: »

Its a good sign that they treat the cause not the problem. Pain is referred so 99% of the time its better if they are not working on the area where you are feeling the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

coalshed wrote: »
    I see early predictions of cold weather with potential for snow coming in around the 11th of this month.

http://www.meteotimes.net/2012/08/peter-odonnells-long-range-weather.html

Has anyone run in snow / icy conditions with those over-the-shoe grip things? (Not their technical name)

Was checking out the running scene in Whistler, Canada where I'm headed to for the winter. Apparently 'snowshoe running' is getting popular, even got a whole race series started up for it.......http://www.theyeti.ca/raceinfo.asp

So if Irish weather takes a turn for the worse, could always get yourself a pair of those bad boys and start the craze in Ireland :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

FiiFii wrote: »
    Was checking out the running scene in Whistler, Canada where I'm headed to for the winter. Apparently 'snowshoe running' is getting popular, even got a whole race series started up for it.......http://www.theyeti.ca/raceinfo.asp

So if Irish weather takes a turn for the worse, could always get yourself a pair of those bad boys and start the craze in Ireland :p

If your in Whistler dont try do hill work. These hills arent for runners:D

All about the snowboarding and skiing

For here though if needed YakTrax do the job (bought mine after the last big snow so have yet to be in need of them :) touch wood)

+1 for the yaxTrax.
    Before these came out (about 2 years ago) a few boardies had resorted to inserting screws to our runners and even attaching cheese graters to them :D But that's a story for another day...To be honest if the snow is fresh it is fine to run in normal runners (just a bit more slowly) but when snow gets compacted then some extra grip is needed.

Worst kind of weather is like tonight where there is no snow but frost on the footpaths which means you can't grip much but can't wear Yaxtrax/ ice grips either.

Another good option if it turns icy is to run on grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

this evening i went out for my very easy three miles and it felt brilliant. God i have missed running so much over the last three weeks or so.I think i had a big smile on my face the whole run.not a twinge from my knee so my ass is definitely better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

dechol wrote: »
    this evening i went out for my a very easy three miles and it felt brilliant. God i have missed running so much over the last three weeks or so.I think i had a big smile on my face the whole run.not a twinge from my knee so my ass is definitely better!!

That's great, wish my ass was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Attempted the 5 mile 'session' tonight, enjoyed it but man it was tough!

Using my 5k time from last weekend McMillian gave me a 5 mile time of 39:26, sub 40 was always going to be my aim so on track so far! Started with 1.25 mile w/u then set the garmin interval setting for 4 * 1 mile with 3 min recovery. Started off only to discover that I could only see distance and number of intervals on the screen so had no idea of speed, only got the garmin recently so not even sure if I can change the setting to see speed. So ran be feel and managed the 4 intervals at 8:15/ 8:12 / 8:07 / 7:59, delighted I got it done and happy with the times but the last mile was hell......the 3 minute jog recovery was more of a 2 minute panned out on the pavement and 1 minute walk recovery!! Finished with a slow 1.4 mile w/d.

Roll on next weeks session!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Has anyone here run the Aware 10k route? I know theres one steep hill and you meet it twice since its two laps. How hard/easy is this course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Weetabix wrote: »
    Attempted the 5 mile 'session' tonight, enjoyed it but man it was tough!

Using my 5k time from last weekend McMillian gave me a 5 mile time of 39:26, sub 40 was always going to be my aim so on track so far! Started with 1.25 mile w/u then set the garmin interval setting for 4 * 1 mile with 3 min recovery. Started off only to discover that I could only see distance and number of intervals on the screen so had no idea of speed, only got the garmin recently so not even sure if I can change the setting to see speed. So ran be feel and managed the 4 intervals at 8:15/ 8:12 / 8:07 / 7:59, delighted I got it done and happy with the times but the last mile was hell......the 3 minute jog recovery was more of a 2 minute panned out on the pavement and 1 minute walk recovery!! Finished with a slow 1.4 mile w/d.

Roll on next weeks session!

Thats a good start you have there and outdoors too.

I tackled this last night but it was on the treadmill. I'm not sure what my 5 miler would be but I ended up doing 1 mile warm up, then 4 * 1 miles at 8 min per mile with about 3.5 mins recovery jog in between. I just ran .5 cool down to finish up at 10km.
    Sometimes I think its harder on the treadmill, theres no air conditioning in the Ben Dunne gym at all. I walk off normally looking like I have severely high blood pressure and sweating like a pig.

rasher_m wrote: »
    Has anyone here run the Aware 10k route? I know theres one steep hill and you meet it twice since its two laps. How hard/easy is this course?

I have ran it but the major uphill I have only ran at the start of a run. It will hurt a lot of people at the end and expect to see a good few walking up.

Been a good while since I ran up it but might not be as bad when I did run it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

I do the following exercises at least 3 times a week

Runners World Core Exercises

Did these last night. The metronome is a killer!

Good to vary it up a bit with a new routine, thanks Killian.

Check out the winter strength challenge thread, you could get suggestions for other workouts from it or start logging your progress to keep track, keeps me doing it.

Advertisement