Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

FiiFii wrote: »
    Was checking out the running scene in Whistler, Canada where I'm headed to for the winter. Apparently 'snowshoe running' is getting popular, even got a whole race series started up for it.......http://www.theyeti.ca/raceinfo.asp

So if Irish weather takes a turn for the worse, could always get yourself a pair of those bad boys and start the craze in Ireland :p

If we consistently got that much snow you'd find me skiing off Lugnaquilla :)

menoscemo wrote: »
    +1 for the yaxTrax.
    Before these came out (about 2 years ago) a few boardies had resorted to inserting screws to our runners and even attaching cheese graters to them :D But that's a story for another day...To be honest if the snow is fresh it is fine to run in normal runners (just a bit more slowly) but when snow gets compacted then some extra grip is needed.

Worst kind of weather is like tonight where there is no snow but frost on the footpaths which means you can't grip much but can't wear Yaxtrax/ ice grips either.

Another good option if it turns icy is to run on grass.

I'll keep an eye out for YakTrax...when that 1 inch of snow falls in Dublin and the whole city shuts down it's tempting to walk/run home rather than wait hours for public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Do any of you train by Heart Rate?

If so, can you tell me how you manage stay within the desired zones?

i.e. do you just check the watch every so often?
    Or do you set up a workout with max/min heart rates and work off the beeps?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

miguelk wrote: »

Thanks!

When i run off HR, I switch off all other fields on the Garmin, so it just displays the Current HR.
    Obviously on hills it might creep up above the target number but on downhills it drops well below so it evens out. I generally only have a glance every few minutes, after a while you learn to know how a certain HR feels.

I would only ever do this on easy runs and the target is always to keep the HR below a certain number. On hard runs it is best to just concentrate on the running!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

miguelk wrote: »

Thanks!

I ran a large portion of the Waterford half by HR. glanced occasionally but basically ( and won't want to over simplify things here) but if it got too high I slowed down and sped up if it was too low. I wanted to keep it within a 7 beat range and pretty much managed it for a couple of miles.

I found it best after a hill where I was able to control the effort going up knowing that i was able to recover quickly at the top and pick up pace again.

I don't set the beeps as I tend to run with music.

I have manflu, I may never run again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

I have manflu, I may never run again.

Take it easy:D

My postal entry has been accepted for Ballycotton:) along with the Dungarvan10 (if OH can organise time off) so a nice gentle start to the new year:p

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

docjewel wrote: »

Take it easy:D

Very serious condition. You certainly will never run again.

Thank you all, I am getting more sympathy here than at home. I know who my real friends are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

docjewel wrote: »
    My postal entry has been accepted for Ballycotton:) along with the Dungarvan10 (if OH can organise time off) so a nice gentle start to the new year:p

I got into Ballycotton too! Really looking forward to it, seems to be a highly thought of race. I'll be wearing my new Boards t shirt, so if you see me, say hello!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

ncmc wrote: »
    I got into Ballycotton too! Really looking forward to it, seems to be a highly thought of race. I'll be wearing my new Boards t shirt, so if you see me, say hello!

That race is going donkeys years, my dad is 72 and I remember him doing it when I was a kiddie

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

love this idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

dechol wrote: »
    love this idea.

It could also deter you from having that second bottle of vino/tin of roses!

ncmc wrote: »

I definitely will,with the new boardies tops it'll b so much easier to spot each other(better than going around asking each female runner wearing pink are they on boards & getting some funny looks back)
    I was lucky enough to be able to do Dungarvan10 last year & there was a great buzz throughout the whole event,can't wait to see what Ballycotton has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    It could also deter you from having that second bottle of vino/tin of roses!

Tin of Roses was placed on my desk at work today..Bad idea!!!

Roses are the devil! Had to go and burn them off tonight!:o

dechol wrote: »
    love this idea.

Looks like a xmas tree decorated in a recession to me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hard to find energy for running past two weeks, on roster of two weeks of nights 9pm-7am. Cant get out during the day cause of minding the little man and just have no energy when i get into work to get out. Sooner these 2 weeks are over the better, had planned one of Meno's sessions tonight but cant do it cause of lack of numbers. Doing mile intervals at 3am along Clontarf prom isn't going to happen this week i dont think. Sorry about the random rant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    Hard to find energy for running past two weeks, on roster of two weeks of nights 9pm-7am. Cant get out during the day cause of minding the little man and just have no energy when i get into work to get out. Sooner these 2 weeks are over the better, had planned one of Meno's sessions tonight but cant do it cause of lack of numbers. Doing mile intervals at 3am along Clontarf prom isn't going to happen this week i dont think. Sorry about the random rant!!
    That sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Not really sure whether that would fall under morning running or night time running :confused: Pretty hardcore either way. Hope you schedule eases up a bit for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

rasher_m wrote: »
    Looks like a xmas tree decorated in a recession to me :rolleyes:
    :D:D:D

A little less extreme perhaps:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Don't worry about it, a break may stand to you in the long run (no pun intended!) considering the wear and tear you have inflicted on your body over past 11 months.

I took this week off and I'm not planning on running till Wednesday. Just giving my legs a break before getting back into the marathon training over the next couple of weeks.

That really is a bummer.As the full time parent in our household to two little men with special needs I am very reliant on Mrs docjewel being around to let me run.
    Her shifts are different every day & week & include some sleepovers & waking nights which are usually at the weekend but because she needs to get some sleep it can mean no running for 2 days at least & it can be quiet frustrating(not as bad as your scenario to be fair though).
    There are nights when the younger lad can be awake for 3 to 4 hours & when I do get the chance to go running I can feel so wrecked.
    The one positive out of an enforced break like that is that you will enjoy your running so much more no matter what the weather is like;)

Crisis over, man flu is abating. I couldnt face an outdoor session so took to a spin class. top stuff, really enjoyed it & was much fitter than when I last did one about 18 months ago! will certainly try to get one a week in.

I'll get one of these lads to run on the prom. Then you can get out on your run!:pac:

Don't forget to get voting people over on the main forum for the end of year awards!

Vote for our very own Novice thread plus our leader and chief Pageant Messiah!:D

(should have been a politician)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'm thinking of joining a local running club early next year, raheny looks like the biggest one around.
    If you are in a club:
    Do they have a physio/group deal?
    Do they do core sessions too?
    Do they generally actively help you improve form?
    Taking this week off too, soleus feels very strained after last Sunday 10k.
    Thanks

Had to bring forward my LSR & Meno's session for the weekend to today but even at that had time restrictions on me.
    For once did a nice slow warm up & then hit the first 2 miles at goal pace,really felt it towards the end,shortened the jog to 3 minutes & hit the second of 2 mile,some of this was uphill & against a nasty wind but pushed on as hard as i could,again a 3 minute jog(almost a walk to be honest) & hit the last of the 2 miles & have to admit I really enjoyed the last 2 miles:),then a nice slow jog home to finish it off.distance overall was a little shorter than planned but them the joys of life.
    Hope I can get a chance for an early recovery run in the morning as I have an early start tomorrow(have to be on the road at 7.15:()

blockic wrote: »
    Don't forget to get voting people over on the main forum for the end of year awards!

Vote for our very own Novice thread plus our leader and chief Pageant Messiah!:D

(should have been a politician)

Voted;)

I see Younganne is up for 3 awards,get Voting people:cool:

I'm thinking of joining a local running club early next year, raheny looks like the biggest one around.
    If you are in a club:
    Do they have a physio/group deal?
    Do they do core sessions too?
    Do they generally actively help you improve form?
    Taking this week off too, soleus feels very strained after last Sunday 10k.
    Thanks

Are you not in Santry/Whitehall direction? If so then Clonliffe Harriers would be easier to get to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

blockic wrote: »

Voted too - Hope you get top position as the new poster Pageant Messiah, you def helped us all immensely starting up and managing the log, and inspired us with your determination to do DCM. Younganne - thumbs up for you for poster of the yr for guiding us novices along those long tough 18 weeks! Couldn't have gotten through it without your guidance :)

On Marshall duty at Malahide parkrun tomorrow morning so hoping to see a few boards t-shirts that I can cheer on :D

Advertisement