Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

rasher_m wrote: »

Are you not in Santry/Whitehall direction? If so then Clonliffe Harriers would be easier to get to?
    Nah I'm in Baldoyle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Nah I'm in Baldoyle!

Hmmm...must've been someone else who was taking the whiteehall route during their marathon lsr's.
    Yeah sounds like a good option or Portmarnock ac, I like the sounds of them.
    I think if I join a club I might try them.

rasher_m wrote: »

Hmmm...must've been someone else who was taking the whiteehall route during their marathon lsr's.
    Yeah sounds like a good option or Portmarnock ac, I like the sounds of them.
    I think if I join a club I might try them.
    Yea I did all my lsr on the seafront! I looked at portmarnock too, looks like they only meet mon wed and Sunday tho. Only 30e to join tho so that's good. Let me know if ur planning on going up, ill join ya if u want and check it out.

Yea I did all my lsr on the seafront! I looked at portmarnock too, looks like they only meet mon wed and Sunday tho. Only 30e to join tho so that's good. Let me know if ur planning on going up, ill join ya if u want and check it out.

Yeah I will, thats what I liked about them too, they sound reasonable and their gear is cheap as well.
    They added me on FB a while back and reading their different posts, I like the sound of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

docjewel wrote: »
    Voted;)

I see Younganne is up for 3 awards,get Voting people:cool:

jeez imagine my surprise:eek: as i haven't been on much over the past couple of weeks with busy in work and sick kids, didn't even see the nominations.
    Come on guys get your Novice thread to the top!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

FiiFii wrote: »

Voted too - Hope you get top position as the new poster Pageant Messiah, you def helped us all immensely starting up and managing the log, and inspired us with your determination to do DCM. Younganne - thumbs up for you for poster of the yr for guiding us novices along those long tough 18 weeks! Couldn't have gotten through it without your guidance :)

On Marshall duty at Malahide parkrun tomorrow morning so hoping to see a few boards t-shirts that I can cheer on :D

i gotta check out the voting

+1 on parkrun vol team tomorrow and i saw npresto on list too so DCM grads are doing their bit, its nice to give something back when we beneffited so much from others giving time and experience this year to us novices.

i will be doing a few miles before hand if you want ti you join me

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Do they generally actively help you improve form?

Interested in the form side if things also. Are clubs good for having coaches/members pointing out form issues?

How is the ChiRunning going for you Stephen? Did you finish the book?

I read it although haven't really put it into practice, there's surprisingly alot to take in. I kind of brush over the Chi part without taking it in but the technique looks promising.

According to this method your body should tell you what you are doing wrong based on what parts are sore, well after my second speed session my body is telling me I'm doing everything wrong, aches all over!

I foam roll 5 x 15 mins a week (same amount of strength/conditioning) and I am struggling to keep up with tight muscles. I'm taking my second 3/4 day break in 2 weeks to try sort them out again.

While I will go back to my physio for treatment I feel that I need more than releasing the tension, I need to get at the cause. Given I had no problems in dcm training, plus i have done infinitely more strength/flexability since and it's just happenning since the introduction of speed I think I need to look at the fundamentals.

I'm seriously considering doing a long boring Hadd-type aerobic base building winter as I know I can do them paces without injury.

So, to wind up this essay - correcting form - join a club? Video yourself? Go to Catriona McKernans workshop? Or change concentration from winter base building to taking technique apart and building it up again following the chi technique?

Any (non medical) advice appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Good turn out at Parkrun this morning given that we're now in xmas party season! Glad i wasn't running it myself though as still frosted footpaths at 9.30 this morning.

Nice 12 miler in phoenix park afterwards - seem to have recovered from Waterford half now:) Went back to the McMillan calculator with new HM time as suggested here - for the LSR had me at 45 seconds a mile faster than before so picked it up a bit today, felt good up until last mile which was happy with.

Got to the park as the Aware 10k'ers were finishing - had thought was on tomorrow!! rasher_m, murphd77 & sureitsgrand - hope you had good races and got the times you were looking for!

miguelk wrote:

How is the ChiRunning going for you Stephen? Did you finish the book?

So, to wind up this essay - correcting form - join a club? Video yourself? Go to Catriona McKernans workshop? Or change concentration from winter base building to taking technique apart and building it up again following the chi

Hi Miguel. Still less than half way through, don't have enough time! But so far I like a lot of what I read. The chi bit is a bit far fetched and the style is so americanised. But the form tips seem v good. I put a few into practice so far, it'll take months and the book will need a re-read I'd say. But I have til feb before I start proper training for cork.

I have the same questions as you. Cant afford any more physio! So have to learn to run injury free if possible. Am doing core stuff and self massage and the stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Normally quite bad at these race reports, but I'll give it a bash!

Aware 10k in the Phoenix Park today. Arrived JUST in time as I always underestimate how long that walk to the start line is! But made it in time for the gun.

I started about a minute after the gun and din't find it too congested. Hit my goal pace pretty early on. I had been worried bout ice/frost but the ground was grand and wasn't worried about slipping.

I'd never done a course (I think) that involved two laps and I quite liked it! Second time around I knew what to expect and I think this benefitted me as I knew when to speed up and when to conserve.

Started struggling badly around 8k but held on....I think...to come in just under 50 minutes...This is according to my Garmin. It looks like they're holding on to the official race results until Monday's Independent...which personally I find shocking...but c'est la vie, I suppose.

So, overall I'm delighted although I'd love to have confirmation! I did Fingal 10k IN 54:43 so this is a big improvement...Even though I know there's loads more in me....Looking forward to the Raheny 5 mile now. Should reach my target of sub 40 there which would be nice!

So, a mostly good experience, good weather etc....But I hope this withholding results doesn't become a trend! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Normally quite bad at these race reports, but I'll give it a bash!

Aware 10k in the Phoenix Park today. Arrived JUST in time as I always underestimate how long that walk to the start line is! But made it in time for the gun.

I started about a minute after the gun and din't find it too congested. Hit my goal pace pretty early on. I had been worried bout ice/frost but the ground was grand and wasn't worried about slipping.

I'd never done a course (I think) that involved two laps and I quite liked it! Second time around I knew what to expect and I think this benefitted me as I knew when to speed up and when to conserve.

Started struggling badly around 8k but held on....I think...to come in just under 50 minutes...This is according to my Garmin. It looks like they're holding on to the official race results until Monday's Independent...which personally I find shocking...but c'est la vie, I suppose.

So, overall I'm delighted although I'd love to have confirmation! I did Fingal 10k IN 54:43 so this is a big improvement...Even though I know there's loads more in me....Looking forward to the Raheny 5 mile now. Should reach my target of sub 40 there which would be nice!

So, a mostly good experience, good weather etc....But I hope this withholding results doesn't become a trend! :)

Check Precision Timing, there up on there website sureitsgrand.

tang1 wrote: »
    Check Precision Timing, there up on there website sureitsgrand.

Apparently they were, but now they've been taking down saying that they'll be available again after next Monday's Indo :mad:

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/racetimer?v=%252Fen%252Frace%252Fshow%252F1071%253Flayout%253Dprecision_timing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Apparently they were, but now they've been taking down saying that they'll be available again after next Monday's Indo :mad:

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/racetimer?v=%252Fen%252Frace%252Fshow%252F1071%253Flayout%253Dprecision_timing

Sorry, yeah i seen them earlier didn't realise they had been removed. The Indo strikes again. Hope you get your time.

tang1 wrote: »
    Sorry, yeah i seen them earlier didn't realise they had been removed. The Indo strikes again. Hope you get your time.

Cheers - ah, I'm pretty sure I did but it's very borderline! Not the end of the world of course, but it grates a bit. Maybe other people are fine with it, but to me its a bit crappy. And I can assure ya I'll be going out of my way NOT to buy the Indo on Monday!

to come in just under 50 minutes...This is according to my Garmin! :)
    Well done ! Great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

8am start this morning for 13 miles. A bit frosty and was a little concerned at slippery pavements but soon forgot about that and it ended up with nothing to be concerned about.

Today's route took me past our old friends Clonskeagh Hill, Roebuck Hill and the UCD flyover; they were asking for you all! Nothing too bad there now, if only they appeared at mile 4 & 6 in the DCM!

All in all a good start to the day, planned pace of 10.10 and finished with 9.57.

Well done to those that took on the Aware 10k today, you had a great day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Aware 10k (Phoenix Park)
    Target: 52 mins or better.

I was looking forward to this as it would be my first time at the distance, and first outing since DCM apart from a Parkrun that I only half raced. Besides, it's always great to run in the Phoenix Park. Lined up at the start line with the missus, who was doing only her second race. She was looking at 60mins, me at 52m so when the gun went off it was a quick hug and "see you at the finish" :-)

One of the best things about race starts on Chesterfield Ave is the relative width, not just the road itself but also the grass verges so it's easy enough to bypass the inevitable slow starters, so I was motoring fairly quickly. I had decided to go out at 5 mins/km pace and see how it felt. First couple of kilometers were fast (for me) and comfortable: up Chesterfield, left on Ordnance Survey Rd and up Knockmaroon Road before descending into the Furry Glen. The climb up out of there in the third kilometer represented the only uphill section and was no problem the first time around, although by then I was starting to feel the 5 min pace a little. The climb also sorted the field out as it was noticeably thinner above the Glen than below.

At about 4k, coming out of Upper Glen Rd and onto Furze Rd, I could see the race leader coming out of Ordnance Survey Rd on lap two, a good 2.5k further down the course. He was looking pretty comfortable, 30 secs or so ahead of the second placed guy who had to jink around a family of strollers who wandered onto the course at this point, much to his annoyance - "You're in the way!"

Went through the halfway point feeling fine but a little worried that the pace might not be sustainable, owing to taking it pretty easy in the five weeks or so since DCM, not to mention the Christmas Party season having kicked off earlier in the week... Cups of water available here so I grabbed one (badly needed) and walked through to the corner drinking it. Lap two started out pretty well and for the next couple of kilometers it was just a case of keeping the head down and putting in some work. The downhill grade into the Glen for the second time was very welcome, and at this point, 8k in, it was a case of climb out of there and hang on to the finish. The climb, as sureitsgrand reports above, felt a good bit tougher the second time around and there was plenty of effort being expended by most of us at this point. I picked out a runner about my age who was going strongly at this point - a gent in a purple Lakelands club shirt and tried to hang onto him (he got away, naturally!).

By the final kilometer up the Furze Road I was fairly gasping, although the legs felt surprisingly good, and no sign of tightness in the hamstring that I sometimes feel around this stage in a run. A fair few people were flagging at this point but an equal number were coming through strongly and I tried to hang on to some of those (I was pleased to discover afterwards that this final kilometer was my fastest of the day). Through the finish at 50:51 (unofficially) so well under target, a good PB by 2 mins or so (compared to the best 10k out of the Frank Duffy earlier this year) and a negative split to boot, can't complain about that.

No goodie bag or T shirt, but plenty of water available (and a few chocolate bunnies). Medals were given out - a bit of a scramble it has to be said, as there weren't enough stewards handing them out to keep up with the rate of finishers, and the medals tended to get tangled! Got one - two actually, one for the wife - before heading back up the road to see how she was doing. Sure enough, she didn't keep me waiting long, coming in under 59 mins so a good day all round for both of us.

Time: 50:51

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I did the Aware 10k too, but ran it with my wife who was attempting to go sub 60.

It was her second ten k and first try at achieving a time, so I'm glad to say she made it, and even better, we're still talking after my gentle encouragement during the tougher parts of the race. :)

The course was nice, though it was disappointing to see lots of folks taking a fairly large cut at the turn from Chesterfield onto Ordanance Survey road.

Bit annoyed too that the results are being withheld until Monday, my wife is dying to find out her official time...which should be about 59'10 or so, we hope.

All in all a lovely day for running and a good atmosphere.

Well done to sureitsgrand a nd murphd77 on your PBs, apols if I missed Nyone else who took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Bit of a landmark in my running career today - did my long run, with the session incorporated (thanks Meno, really) with Mrs D - and we didn't end up like John and Mary from Fr Ted. Was great to have someone to run with too! "Only" did just over 10m due to Christmas party last night and needed to be home, showered and out by 10.50 but it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi everyone.

Sheet has been updated and irfrm has been moved up into the main area for this week.

Congrats to everyone who raced in the last 7 days or so. Looks like it was a great success for the entire team. I know I haven't commented much here - haven't had much to say !! - injury sucks. :D (I've been putting off going to the doc as I have had many false dawns of progress with the leg but it's still throbbing even without running so a doc visit and appointment for MRI will be done this week)

I have though been following the thread with great interest. Well done team Boards :)

Quick ninja edit having read the last couple of days - you bunch of lunatics nominating me for end of year awards. Lunatics :D Thank you though !

• Advertisement

Last year it was a big deal to cycle to Howth summit, today I ran up and it was a piece of cake! Had myself all worked up for the challenge. It's great to feel so fit on a Sunday morning. I woke up feeling like dirt, had one beer and a pile of junk food before bed (as I often do). Went out on an empty stomach too no prob. Took my time and changed the form based on few tips in chi running(lifting the leg and moving away from my big heel strike toward a midfoot strike).
    There is a 10k on 29th on this route so I think I'll do it, any takers?
    Also had my boards shirt on, first time!
    Got caught in a drizzle shower but it was refreshing. 9miles from home and back.
    This was my only run all week, planning more mileage next week.

blockic wrote: »
    Don't forget to get voting people over on the main forum for the end of year awards!

Vote for our very own Novice thread plus our leader and chief Pageant Messiah!:D

(should have been a politician)

Completely missed being nominated until I saw this post. :o

Thanks a million to anyone who votes for me. It's quite humbling tbh.

To be fair though YoungAnne and Meno deserve the title of leader and chief. I will of course happily wear the crown for the 2013 novice thread.

Thanks again guys. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Did you all enjoy last weeks session? It was a particularly hard one, but one that will build you up for nicely for your goal race. We'll do another similar one next week but this weeks session will be the same one for every one.

We are also gonna bump up the mileage of some of the easy runs a little so that we are up around the 30 MPW mark...

This plan is:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |5 mile easy|rest/corss|session*|3 miles recovery|5m easy |rest/cross|LSR (10-13 miles)

This weeks session is based on time rather than distance, so it is probably best to take the lap alerts off your Garmin and manually lap each section. It's a progression run and should be all done continuously.

10 minutes easy, 10 minutes @ MP, 10 minutes @ HMP, 10 minutes @ 10k Pace, 10 minutes easy (50 minutes total).

For MP, HMP and 10k pace, I advise using the McMillan calculator and plugging in your recent best race result.

Best of Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    Did you all enjoy last weeks session?

Hate you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

:D
    It's not that long ago I told ye that you would all learn to dread running fast and love your easy runs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Glad it wasn't just me that felt like this! Had a bad weeks running..missed most of the easy mid-week runs due to too much Christmas cheer! Dreaded headed out this morning..did 11.7miles including the session. First 2x2miles weren't too bad but the third was a killer! Finished the last 3miles of the run with a massive stitch.

Lesson learned..too many nights out and training (ie. Menos programme!) do not mix well!!

Back on track this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

menoscemo wrote: »
    Did you all enjoy last weeks session? It was a particularly hard one, but one that will build you up for nicely for your goal race

Ha - i have been keeping an eye on spreadsheet but there were no sessions posted - I guess that's been happening here in the main body of the thread but tbh it's hard to find with the volume of posts. Maybe a link to the relevant post could be included in the spreadsheet?

Thanks for everything - the advice is hugely appreciated.

FiiFii wrote: »
    Good turn out at Parkrun this morning given that we're now in xmas party season! Glad i wasn't running it myself though as still frosted footpaths at 9.30 this morning.

Nice 12 miler in phoenix park afterwards - seem to have recovered from Waterford half now:) Went back to the McMillan calculator with new HM time as suggested here - for the LSR had me at 45 seconds a mile faster than before so picked it up a bit today, felt good up until last mile which was happy with.

Got to the park as the Aware 10k'ers were finishing - had thought was on tomorrow!! rasher_m, murphd77 & sureitsgrand - hope you had good races and got the times you were looking for!

Didn't go up to the park for the race, just couldn't get in form for it.
    In fact tonight was the first outdoor run I've done for at least two weeks.
    I ran 4.8 miles and went out quite late, was hoping I wouldnt trip or anything mad going out so late.
    Anyway back to the drawing board this week.
    Well done to everyone who did make the effort and run the 10km and bad girl me :(

Saw this in the YLYL thread. Gave me a childish giggle.

11967815-standard.jpg

• Advertisement

murphd77 wrote: »
    Ha - i have been keeping an eye on spreadsheet but there were no sessions posted - I guess that's been happening here in the main body of the thread but tbh it's hard to find with the volume of posts. Maybe a link to the relevant post could be included in the spreadsheet?

Thanks for everything - the advice is hugely appreciated.

Excellent idea - have amended this week to have a link directly to Menos post. Will do this on a weekly basis going forward.

Advertisement