Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

menoscemo wrote: »
    Did you all enjoy last weeks session?

It was tough all right.To me it's the kind of training that you don't enjoy while doing it but feel on top of the world after it.

Out this morning for a gentle 6 miler but on the return leg to the car there was a bridge closed on the route so a quick turn around & the pace quickened to make it back in time for a meeting at little docjewel's school.Ended up doing 8.6 miles in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

menoscemo wrote: »
    As promised I am just going to give you guys a few tips I have learned from racing over the last 4 years and what I find works best for me. Shorter races are a lot different to marathons and so preparation should be a little different:

Pre Race
    It's always best to arrive well before the race to avoid any last minute panicking. Register, have a chat with the other runners, go to the toilet etc. You'll be nervous so try to stay as relaxed as possible and keep your mind of the nerves.

Meno,

Just wondering if you want to add something to the above about knowing what time the race is starting at? Would be awful to turn up late. You know yourself its often the little things that get over-looked. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Meno,

Just wondering if you want to add something to the above about knowing what time the race is starting at? Would be awful to turn up late. You know yourself its often the little things that get over-looked. :P

Hey, back off. Meno is the boss around here. We won't hear a bad word said about him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hard to believe I ran a marathon 6 weeks ago...between injury woes and now being sick I feel like I'll never get back on track:( Funny thing this running business...there's the people who don't do it and hate the thought of it and then there's the ones like me (and you) who hate not doing it (she says longingly reading this week's training plan and wanting to get stuck in) sigh...moan over ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Hey, back off. Meno is the boss around here. We won't hear a bad word said about him ;)

Haha even great leaders like Meno have their flaws ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Haha even great leaders like Meno have their flaws ;)

MUST TRY NOT TO TYPE ANYTHING.

MUST BE STRONG

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Runchick wrote: »
    Hard to believe I ran a marathon 6 weeks ago...between injury woes and now being sick I feel like I'll never get back on track:( Funny thing this running business...there's the people who don't do it and hate the thought of it and then there's the ones like me (and you) who hate not doing it (she says longingly reading this week's training plan and wanting to get stuck in) sigh...moan over ;)

I feel your pain, plus I'm eating loads to cheer myself up, hope you're back at it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    I feel your pain, plus I'm eating loads to cheer myself up, hope you're back at it soon

Cheers Deedee yes every time I get stuck in to yummy food I tell myself sure I'll be back running it off in no time...I'll be waddling it off at this rate :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Deedee2012 wrote: »

Here's your brother !

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Here's your brother !
    And your sister. Ate all the chocolate treats on tree meant for the kids last night.did get out tonight for a very slow 3.5 miles this evening and felt good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Here's your brother !

Whole advent Calender gone in 5 mins! Sorry kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Whole advent Calender gone in 5 mins! Sorry kids!

5m easy complete tonight. In my mind, if not in my arteries, that makes up for the 3 slices of cream cake (first one at 9.30am), handful of mini chocolates and chocolate bar I've eaten so far today. As well as my regular food. Running rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Things are quiet around here...has everyone given up running?! :P

My Santa presents are arriving thick and fast, no sneak peaks though, going straight under the tree until xmas morning. :(

Couple of shoe boxes and a SPIbelt by the looks of it! Can't wait!

Right I'm off to the gym cos meno's session tomorrow night looks too easy.....I joke, I joke!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I was just thinking the same thing, very quiet round here! I managed to pull my back lifting a box in work today (god I feel like such an oul one saying that!) forgot to bend with my knees and not my back etc etc! So going to push all my runs back a day and just take it easy tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Got out today for an easy 8.5k, legs very heavy after Saturday's 10k. I usually do easy runs at 6m/k but this one felt much, much slower... until I looked at the watch in the end and discovered it was bang on the usual pace. Oh well. Did part of the run along the Royal Canal between Broombridge and Phibsboro. The canal was frozen over in most of this section, which was eerily beautiful and I was glad of the extra layer (and the pilates class beforehand, which warmed me up nicely :)).

By the way, if you've ever considered running along the Royal Canal in the Dublin area, or especially if you are familiar with the canal beyond Leixlip/Maynooth areas, please check out and contribute to my thread here.

blockic wrote: »
    meno's session tomorrow night looks too easy.....I joke, I joke!!!;)

Careful now,rumor has it the next few sessions will have 6am starts:D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Yes, its very quiet around here.

I'm going back to basics and working on my technique/form. Physio gave me a good few things to work on, was suprised she went straight to technique after i described all my soreness, thought she would just try loosen it out (which she did after), so was glad to get all the pointers and that she wanted to get to the root cause.....which is that my running method sucks big time.

I'm happy to let the milage drop a bit, work on drills and exercises a bit more along with some easy running and enjoy the holidays, and come back a bit fresher to the higher milage weeks once I've recovered fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Hi people, are we doing this session at current fitness level or level we want to PB at?
    I'm trying to figure out how to run this session and since I havn't raced since DCM I'm not entirely sure what speed to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

rasher_m wrote: »
    Hi people, are we doing this session at current fitness level or level we want to PB at?
    I'm trying to figure out how to run this session and since I havn't raced since DCM I'm not entirely sure what speed to take.

I advised to take a recent race and use that as a marker (via Mcmillan) so it's all about your current fitness level.

If you haven't raced since DCM it is difficult to predict your paces so just run it by feel. MP should feel like you are cruising, HMP should feel like you are putting a good effort but still in control in and 10k pace should be much harder.

See how you get on!!

miguelk wrote: »
    I'm going back to basics and working on my technique/form.

Good stuff... sound like a decent Physio & a wise move.. it's the best time of year to do this. I'm along the same route. That ChiRunning book is getting better the more I read. maybe give yours another read too. good luck.

• Advertisement

Midweek session done,a rotten cold miserable morning for running.
    Have to say I enjoyed this session,was finding the going tough during the Half Marathon section as wind, rain & a little hill were completely against me but felt good during the 10k section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Got a pair of these babies yesterday for €60 in McIlhinneys in Ballybofey. Soooo pretty!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Got a pair of these babies yesterday for €60 in McIlhinneys in Ballybofey. Soooo pretty!!

Bargain! 'Go faster' colours too! Are they a neutral shoe or racers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

blockic wrote: »

Bargain! 'Go faster' colours too! Are they a neutral shoe or racers?

Anything to help me 'Go faster'!! There racers, took them for 4 miles last night, seriously comfortable.

tang1 wrote: »
    Anything to help me 'Go faster'!! There racers, took them for 4 miles last night, seriously comfortable.

Sweet, have not delved into racers yet but will at some point. I over pronate so not sure how i would get on with them.

Currently awaiting arrival of these bad boys though! :D Daycent!

MIN9M1-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I think we should start posting pictures of dogs again.

I think we should start posting pictures of dogs again.
    You don't have to ask me twice!!!

Libby, wrecked after a recent LSR (and a subsequent bath)

And one for the cat lovers so they don't feel left out!

miguelk wrote: »

And one for the cat lovers so they don't feel left out!

Funny and my cat actually follows me some days for the first 500m...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

ncmc wrote: »
    You don't have to ask me twice!!!

Libby, wrecked after a recent LSR (and a subsequent bath)
    /QUOTE]

I'm not sure KB was asking but me too

Jacob after my LSR on Sat and Parkrun (as Vol) on way home in car.

In last 24 hours I read the whole training log from Myflipflops (24 pages, not sure how to link to it!) I'm genuinely inspired, he's so far in another league from me and clearly an awesome & determined natural talent but for sheer 'doing it' I'm mega impressed, debut FM in 2:48, his last 4-6K were hellish.

A big take away for ME is that I have to really engage with the getting the weight down challenge as it's hindering me from moving forward, hugely increasing the risk of injury and limiting the training I can do. I'm considering starting a log just to force this issue out there - twin aims 4 hr FM and lowest weight in >10 years. I might be there alone and I can foresee many entries like the fat lad ate the pies again, BUT maybe that's what it will take!

Hey NCMC Libby really is a Cutie!

• Advertisement

Walkedit wrote: »

Hey NCMC Libby really is a Cutie!

I was just about to say, Jacob is adorable, he has such expressive eyes, I bet he’s a real character!

Advertisement