Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I s'pose I should start running again!!

I've enjoyed my ten day break and I cant wait to get out for a nice handy 5 miles tonight.

Broke the news of my plan to run 3 marathons in 2013 to my better half over the weekend... It didn't go down too well! I had hoped that by her taking up running it would soften her a little but nope, she's trying to set me a 2 marathon limit! Maybe an extra Christmas pressie might do the trick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Gavlor wrote: »
    I s'pose I should start running again!!

I've enjoyed my ten day break and I cant wait to get out for a nice handy 5 miles tonight.

Broke the news of my plan to run 3 marathons in 2013 to my better half over the weekend... It didn't go down too well! I had hoped that by her taking up running it would soften her a little but nope, she's trying to set me a 2 marathon limit! Maybe an extra Christmas pressie might do the trick :)

Would you not try and persuade her to do the 1st one with you? After that she'll become totally addicted and completely understand why 3 ;)

So did Meno's session this morning - MAY have pushed myself a little too hard seen as I was physically sick after doing my 10 mins at 10k pace (loads of cars and Luas going by, of the embarrassment of it all :o:o:o). Well at least over with now and looking forward to chilled out recovery run tomorrow!

Finding it hard to get motivation to go out for a harder run without any race to aim for:( Guess i'm gonna have to set myself some time trials over next few months so I can see the improvement and make myself keep going..

ncmc wrote: »
    I was just about to say, Jacob is adorable, he has such expressive eyes, I bet he’s a real character!

Having met Jacob twice now at Malahide Parkrun's he's the cutest dog ever - and just laps up all the attention from the girls at the finish line :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

You don't have to ask me twice!!!

Libby, wrecked after a recent LSR (and a subsequent bath)

And one for the cat lovers so they don't feel left out!

This forum is priceless, running and dogs, 2 of my fav things!

I had quite a shock opening Libby's picture, she is the absolute image of my dog who died earlier this year...if Libby is anything like him she must make an excellent running partner :)

My current dog ran almost 5 miles with me this morning, that's the furthest I've ever taken her, she normally fades after 3...might make a wee running companion out of her yet ;) how far do others take their dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Runchick wrote: »
    This forum is priceless, running and dogs, 2 of my fav things!

I had quite a shock opening Libby's picture, she is the absolute image of my dog who died earlier this year...if Libby is anything like him she must make an excellent running partner :)

My current dog ran almost 5 miles with me this morning, that's the furthest I've ever taken her, she normally fades after 3...might make a wee running companion out of her yet ;) how far do others take their dogs?

OK do let us see what she looks like!:D

The longest with Jacob was my recent HM time trial. By my reckoning he may have done up to +50% of my miles as he runs with me but not on a lead, so he does a bit of back/forward and in/out gardens etc while I'm taking the racing line. He is 3 yo so I think he is up for it but I do worry that the miles might be too much. He doesn't like it it I leave him at home!

For next year I'm thinking of doing more runs in parks, so he can do more running on the grass ... and maybe me too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sorry about your loss Runchick, can't imagine anything happening to Libby, she's my baby! She's only 6, so hopefully I'll have her around for a good few years to come.

She doesn't actually enjoy running with me when I'm running around my village in the dark, but she loves when we go running in the forest and she can have a good sniff around.

I would really only bring her 5 miles, maybe 6 at a push. She only has little legs, so I would worry about over exercising her. If I'm doing a longer run than that, I just drop her back to the car or house. Once she has water and a window open she's fine while I do another loop or two.

FiiFii wrote: »

Would you not try and persuade her to do the 1st one with you? After that she'll become totally addicted and completely understand why 3 ;)

So did Meno's session this morning - MAY have pushed myself a little too hard seen as I was physically sick after doing my 10 mins at 10k pace (loads of cars and Luas going by, of the embarrassment of it all :o:o:o)...

I've managed to get her from couch-10k-half marathon.... So there really is only one further step, though her sights are set on Dublin 2013

Regarding your sickness this morning? That's what you get for RUNNING IN THE MORNING!! Wouldn't have happened if you went at a reasonable hour like 7pm or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I've managed to get her from couch-10k-half marathon.... So there really is only one further step, though her sights are set on Dublin 2013

Regarding your sickness this morning? That's what you get for RUNNING IN THE MORNING!! Wouldn't have happened if you went at a reasonable hour like 7pm or something!
    Nah....if FiiFii had done it at 7pm she wouldn't have finished. Everyone knows it's only pansies who run in the evenings :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Sorry about your loss Runchick, can't imagine anything happening to Libby, she's my baby! She's only 6, so hopefully I'll have her around for a good few years to come.

She doesn't actually enjoy running with me when I'm running around my village in the dark, but she loves when we go running in the forest and she can have a good sniff around.

I would really only bring her 5 miles, maybe 6 at a push. She only has little legs, so I would worry about over exercising her. If I'm doing a longer run than that, I just drop her back to the car or house. Once she has water and a window open she's fine while I do another loop or two.

Aw thanks ncmc my boy was the grand old age of 14 and had been my baby long before any real kids came along! Yeah I was thinking any longer than 5 or 6 miles might be pushing it. She comes on a lead mostly so might be a different story if I could take her off lead...shall have to experiment :) I ran a 10km last year and there was a girl running it with her pooch, though that was kinda cool

This is my old boy in action many years ago...

JanuaryA_019.JPG

and my wee lady...

IMG_2592.jpg

Hope these worked :o

Nah....if FiiFii had done it at 7pm she wouldn't have finished. Everyone knows it's only pansies who run in the evenings :p

Well actually... my 'morning' was an 11.30am start.........
    I ain't no early birder unless forced into it, call me a pansy all you want tongue.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Seconded

blockic wrote: »
    Seconded
    There's a surprise :eek:

FiiFii wrote: »

Well actually... my 'morning' was an 11.30am start.........
    I ain't no early birder unless forced into it, call me a pansy all you want tongue.png

That's the spirit!! C_M should really be reported for cyber bullying ;)

That's the spirit!! C_M should really be reported for cyber bullying ;)
    :p

Talk to the hand emo39.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

5m slow yesterday missed due to laziness. Or I could say I was busy in work but basically I didn't get out early, said I'd do it later & it never happened. I am a confirmed morning runner!

On the plus side, another spin class done as a xtraining session, getting to like them. So I'm managing my days off ok, just not my training days!

5m slow yesterday missed due to laziness. Or I could say I was busy in work but basically I didn't get out early, said I'd do it later & it never happened. I am a confirmed morning runner!

On the plus side, another spin class done as a xtraining session, getting to like them. So I'm managing my days off ok, just not my training days!

Spinning is excellent for building up your leg muscles. It will def help you out when you start upping the mileage.

I'd recommend distance cycling/spinning to every budding runner

Runchick wrote: »

Aw thanks ncmc my boy was the grand old age of 14 and had been my baby long before any real kids came along! Yeah I was thinking any longer than 5 or 6 miles might be pushing it. She comes on a lead mostly so might be a different story if I could take her off lead...shall have to experiment :) I ran a 10km last year and there was a girl running it with her pooch, though that was kinda cool

This is my old boy in action many years ago...

JanuaryA_019.JPG

and my wee lady...

IMG_2592.jpg

Hope these worked :o

Hey they are both cool canines

I ran. The park run 5k with Jacob - interesting.! Advice, let her have a good run first. And try it out before the race - I must be slow not to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Had to stop running after I injured my left knee last week. Getting short sharp pains on inside of left knee mainly when I put weight on it in a standing position. Doc says I may have a meniscus tear. I have to build up my quads and I'm waiting for physio. Might have to look at getting an MRI/OP. :(

npresto wrote: »
    Had to stop running after I injured my left knee last week. Getting short sharp pains on inside of left knee mainly when I put weight on it in a standing position. Doc says I may have a meniscus tear. I have to build up my quads and I'm waiting for physio. Might have to look at getting an MRI/OP. :(

Sorry to hear the knee is worse, hope you can get it sorted before too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Went out and done my session early this morning. I really had a great time and enjoyed it completely. I don't have a Garmin so I was using my phone as a timer and running by feel. The first mile and half was down the Ballymun road and around by Drumcondra and was all downhill/flat. The rest back up through Drumcondra and up the Swords road to Santry was all up hill but I enjoyed it so I mustn't have been running as fast as I should've been. :D
    I'm not totally sure of the distance but it was at least 5.7 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I think myself and FiFi will be heading out for an lsr in the Phoenix park on Sunday if anyone is interested in joining us. We need to sort out the details but probably won't be more than 10 miles and not too early either.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

rasher_m wrote: »
    Went out and done my session early this morning. I really had a great time and enjoyed it completely. I don't have a Garmin so I was using my phone as a timer and running by feel. The first mile and half was down the Ballymun road and around by Drumcondra and was all downhill/flat. The rest back up through Drumcondra and up the Swords road to Santry was all up hill but I enjoyed it so I mustn't have been running as fast as I should've been. :D
    I'm not totally sure of the distance but it was at least 5.7 miles.

Talk to this this fella, he might do you a good deal

Santa-Claus-A.jpg

As you can see he also delivers running companions!

This is a kind of stupid question(s) but I badly need new runners and I have to go to Kildare next week so would I be best to go from Kildare to Amphibianking in Ballymount? What's the difference between Amphibianking and base2race? Is Ballymount kind of in the same direction as Clondalkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

This is a kind of stupid question(s) but I badly need new runners and I have to go to Kildare next week so would I be best to go from Kildare to Amphibianking in Ballymount? What's the difference between Amphibianking and base2race? Is Ballymount kind of in the same direction as Clondalkin?

I've no experience with Amph.King or base2race, but would you consider runworx, who are off the Fonthill rd - just off the n4?

Good service there and they do gait analysis etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Take Ballymount exit off M50, go left at top of slip road, right around first roundabout you come to. Base2Race will be first entrance on your right after exiting roundabout. You'll see it as you drive in to your left. Amphibian King is part of Base2Race shop but they just sell the runners.

coalshed wrote: »
    I've no experience with Amph.King or base2race, but would you consider runworx, who are off the Fonthill rd - just off the n4?

Good service there and they do gait analysis etc.

Fonthill rd......n4.....:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    tang1 wrote: »
    Take Ballymount exit off M50, go left at top of slip road, right around first roundabout you come to. Base2Race will be first entrance on your right after exiting roundabout. You'll see it as you drive in to your left. Amphibian King is part of Base2Race shop but they just sell the runners.

Deadly thanks and directions as well......:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Base2Race is 3 shops in one (cycles, swimming, running) Amphibian King look after the running part. Ballymount is about 10 minutes from Clondalkin, between the Kildare and Tallaght exits on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Fonthill rd......n4.....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Deadly thanks and directions as well......:D:D:D:D
    Sorry on a phone so can't post map link.

http://www.wheelworx.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

As a fellow country person,:D I would say go to both while you are there. Make it worth the trip anyway.

I was in Dublin there in Sept and I went for a look in both, thought AK would be bigger actually but still has a decent range of supplies. Found wheelworx to be much more spacious. Both good in their own individual ways!:)

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    As a fellow country person,:D I would say go to both while you are there. Make it worth the trip anyway.

I was in Dublin there in Sept and I went for a look in both, thought AK would be bigger actually but still has a decent range of supplies. Found wheelworx to be much more spacious. Both good in their own individual ways!:)
    Thanks I probably should :D Have to do a course in Kildare and won't be finished till 3 but I just saw on the link that coalshed posted that wheelworx is open till 9 :D It looks fairly straightforward to get to as well which is good cause I am a complete ditz when I'm driving........that should maybe read especially when I'm driving. (4 years into my last job and my boss was still having to draw me maps before I went on calls :o)

Advertisement