Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Hurray! Cheers Blockic for getting this started, Meno for agreeing to take up the coaching and PM for the shiny new tracker! I was starting to miss the other thread already!

I trained 4 times a week last summer for the Dublin half-marathon (2:21 PB at the time :)). Then I sat on my behind all winter & just showed up at the start line in Paris in March with very very little preparation :rolleyes: Ran the whole way but finished in 02:30. :eek: So I'm determined not to let my summer of hard work go to waste again this year!
    However I've been sitting on my butt since last Monday.... So being part of this group will definitely keep me getting back out there regularly. :o Just filled in my mileage so far this year - 632m! That feels good :)

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)
    I'd like to be able to run faster over shorter distances.
    I've registered for the Paris Half in March 2013, so that'll be my next big goal.
    I'll do the marathon preparation series again next summer, and we'll see how life's going then whether I'll try another marathon or not.
    Run 1000 miles in 2013!!!

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strengthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)
    Just looking up the clubs nearby & if there's one that suits, I'll join. (Just applied for a job that would have very long days so probably would have to run on my own if I actually manage to get it, but this group will keep me training regularly.)
    Gonna do Hal / Meno's recovery plan for the next few weeks, then start early on my half-marathon training. I'd like to arrive feeling really super ready for it!
    I have a little yoga-like stretch routine I do after running; going to start building gently by adding planks :eek: & see how I go from there!

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)
    These are my PBs, all from 2012 :D Hoping to chip away at these next year!
    5m - 00:49
    10k - 00:58
    10m - 01:41
    half - 02:16
    mara - 04:58

Also I really like Mr Slow's suggestion of actually meeting in person from time to time & making it a real community! I got to meet a few boardsies when preparing for the DCM & it made it much more fun than running circles in the park on my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

guinang wrote: »
    Blockic, you and I all on for the same targets. Let the games begin....

In all seriousness, it will be good to have someone to kinda compare against. Best of luck with it all.
    tang1 wrote: »
    Same as that, have sub 20min 5km in the bag but want to improve on it. Also run sub 70 min 10 miler.

Sounds great, though now that I read about the required rest period after DCM perhaps the upcoming races (Nov 14th and Dec 1st) will be too soon to be pursuing PBs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Deffo....pacers are heaven sent!!!! Probably go 1.45 or if I'm feeling bold 1.40 :D

Same as that....thinking of going with the 1:40 and maybe finding a middle ground if I find myself dropping off...that would still give me a PB and not push it too much, keeping ahead of the 1:45's

Out this evening for 4 miles, should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

coalshed wrote: »
    Sounds great, though now that I read about the required rest period after DCM perhaps the upcoming races (Nov 14th and Dec 1st) will be too soon to be pursuing PBs :)

Ya true, but i'm stubborn and think I'll try for sub 1.30 in Waterford, if i blow up, i blow up. No biggy. Great to have people here with similar goals. Game face on! :cool::)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Wexford1996

Hi,

I ran my first marathon last Monday and managed to complete in 3:27:xx which I was delighted with.

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)

Hadn't really thought about this prior to the marathon. Have been considering doing the runinthedark 10k and possibly the Waterford Half Marathon but not sure if they would come too soon or not. Think I could definitely improve my 10k pb (current pb 42.20) and would like to get under 40 mins in the near future. Maybe a spring marathon but probably won't rush into any decision.

What type of training to you intend to do over the winter? (strengthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

Have been training with a club every Tuesday night since the start of the summer and will hopefully keep this up over the winter. Felt it really brought me on and also much easier running as part of a group. WIll try and get out another night during the week and at least once over the weekend. Have never been a gym lover but might try and introduce it a bit as well.

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)

5k 19.00 (Have never ran one yet)
    10k 40:00
    Half 1:30:00
    Full 3:15:00

These targets seem in line with a good few others here but I guess a lot depends on staying injury free and putting in the training required. Best of luck to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

Improve my PB time on 10k which is 46 min, try a semi-marathon race and see what time I can do knowing that I don't have to go for another 21k once it's finished :D and finally try to run a marathon in 3h45min, that was my initial objective this year when I signed up for DCM but then got injured here and there so many times and ended up not running the marathon because of tonsilitis infection :(

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

First will go for easy jogs, then start training seriously for whatever race comes first ( Connemarathon?).

Just hope to not be sick for DCM 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Get stronger over the winter
    March 1/2 (possibly bohermeen)
    May Full (possibly Limerick)

And along the way...
    Run 1000 miles (Edit, in the next year, not by the spring!)
    Run shorter distances (maybe join BHAA)

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

Endurance to build up to week 1 of more intensive marathon plan in New year
    Strength and Conditioning schedule made and under way

New PB's - Ambitions targets but sure where's the fun in having them easy!

Sub 21 min 5k (Current PB 23:06 - day after dublin half)
    Sub 44 min 10k (Current PB 47:33)
    Sub 72 min 10m (No PB)
    Sub 1:36 Min 1/2 marathon (Current PB 1:40:37)
    Sub 3:40 Marathon (Current PB 3:58:19)

I like the idea of joining a club but I just don't have the free time.
    Likewise group meets don't work great for me as I do all my running before work or at lunch, but I will be relying on this thread as my main training support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    1:40 :eek::eek::eek: You are definitely braver than me! I am beginning to think I am too conservative with my races. I am definitely beginning to think I didn’t push myself to my limit in DCM, but then hate the thought of pushing too hard and not being able to finish :o
    blockic wrote: »
    Ya true, but i'm stubborn, if i blow up, i blow up. No biggy. Great to have people here with similar goals. Game face on! :cool::)
    upthe19th wrote: »
    Same as that....thinking of going with the 1:40 and maybe finding a middle ground if I find myself dropping off...that would still give me a PB and not push it too much, keeping ahead of the 1:45's

....what Blocky said ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

If physio says my foot is fine tomorrow, would love to do the 8m marathon warm down in Phoenix pk on Sat. Partly cross country so hopefully gentle enough. Haven't run since the marathon as my foot developed a strange niggle that evening. Back on the bike instead at the moment
    Runinthedark 10k on Nov 14th if that goes well
    RNLI 10k in Marlay pk Dec 2nd
    Also try some of the easier IMRA runs - fab scenery makes up for the muck and drudgery!

continue cycling to work a few times a week. Learn how to do speed and hills!
    Join a club as I did no speedwork etc this time around

faster medium runs. 50+ mins for 10k. 2 for HM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ncmc wrote: »
    The HH recovery plan calls for 4 weeks followed by a race at the end of the 4th week, would a half be a good option at that stage? The previous long runs are only 6-7 miles, so would a half marathon be a bit of a jump.

A half will be fine. You ran 26.2 miles a week ago, and you won't lose that endurance over the next 3 weeks, I promise. Speed might be a killer but distance certainly won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 saligator

Yay! delighted there's a new thread! Gonna log my training and post more (if i've something to say) as I was very quiet on the previous thread.

Goals:
    Have registered for HM in Barcelona in Feb, would like to do that in under 2hrs, (previous PB was 2.11 in Achill which is fairly hilly). I'll def do Achill again as well as the usuals like the Great Ireland Run, Mini Marathon, Docklands etc; hopefully will get PB's in all of them!!

Would def love to do another marathon, dunno where or when yet.

Need to focus on strenthening and core work...but then again I say that every yr and don't folow thru.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Great thread. Thanks guys I'm in. I'm still basking in beer and chocolate since dcm but that'll stop next week! Going for an easy 3 miles on wed. I can't manage to copy and paste the titles on my phone so here's my plan: sign up for cork marathon June bh. I pre registered for Berlin but not decided yet, will it be v costly?
    Planning a 10k in clontarf in dec.
    need to get faster and work on core and form.
    I want a garmin from Santa!
    Dcm 2012 was 4:16 so I want sub 4 or better next year
    10k sub 50 mins
    Half: sub 1:50
    I do a bit of cycling so ill keep that up
    And I'll start hill work around Howth v soon.

Would defo enjoy meeting up for weekend runs as suggested by mr slow I think.

Good luck all

I pre registered for Berlin but not decided yet, will it be v costly?

Looks like i'm out of Berlin too. :( Gutted! Was really planning my year around it next year. Going to be in the States with work so won't get back for it. Should be back for Dublin though.

Need to find a new target marathon now!

PM, just an idea on the tracker, might or might not work. In a couple of weeks when people have decided what race they are targeting for spring/summer maybe we can put in a races tab and people can put thier names down against a race.

This way people can see who is doing the same race and as a result be at the same stage training wise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Looks like i'm out of Berlin too. :( Gutted! Was really planning my year around it next year. Going to be in the States with work so won't get back for it. Should be back for Dublin though.

How about possibly doing one in the US if you're going to be there for a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

E coli posted this on the "class of 2011" thread last year for people aiming at the Waterford half

"My advice would be post recovery (1 week) to aim to try similar schedule during the week with the only difference being stretch out the long run at weekend following this pattern

Week 1 Saturday and Sunday 70 min easy
    Week 2 Saturday 90 min easy
    Week 3 Saturday Sunday 60 min easy

After this taper for the remaining week"

What do you think Meno?

How about possibly doing one in the US if you're going to be there for a while?

Ha, I'm already on it! :)

Chicago Marathon - 13th October should fit in nicely! :D

Anyone know if this has a required qualification time or is it open entry?

E coli posted this on the "class of 2011" thread last year for people aiming at the Waterford half

"My advice would be post recovery (1 week) to aim to try similar schedule during the week with the only difference being stretch out the long run at weekend following this pattern

Week 1 Saturday and Sunday 70 min easy
    Week 2 Saturday 90 min easy
    Week 3 Saturday Sunday 60 min easy

After this taper for the remaining week"

What do you think Meno?

Looks good. I was going to add 10 minutes to the LSR each week so as to be doing 80 minutes at the end of week 3. Much of a muchness I would imagine. You already have the fitness built up from marathon training and we are unlikely to add to that fitness before Waterford. It's just a matter of maintaining and recovering before then (though I will maybe add in a 'feeler' session about 10 days out...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

There are start corrals, A,B,C and so on. Going on your DCM finishing time you would qualify for corral B. Thats based on a sub 3.35 marathon or sub 1.35 half. You have both.

I think that one is like Berlin as in you can register without qualifications times/charity entries (the only US 'major' you can do that for). You'll oikely have to be quick though once registration opens.

It'll also fit in well for your plans to pace DCM next year :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

PM, just an idea on the tracker, might or might not work. In a couple of weeks when people have decided what race they are targeting for spring/summer maybe we can put in a races tab and people can put thier names down against a race.

This way people can see who is doing the same race and as a result be at the same stage training wise. :)

Sounds like a plan !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

curr33 wrote: »
    the 8m marathon warm down in Phoenix pk on Sat. Partly cross country so hopefully gentle enough.

if it's a race, it won't be gentle

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

RayCun wrote: »
    if it's a race, it won't be gentle

My races are gentle enough:)

They shouldn't be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

5k:
    Mile 1 - This is tough
    Mile 2 - OMG will this ever end I feel sick
    Mile 3 - I hate 5k's I'm not meant to run this fast, someone shoot me so I can stop
    Last .1 - 1198.gif

Then you cross the finish line, recover and smile and say something like 'Racing is what it's all about' :)

Hi guys,

Just in case you havn't seen it. Kurt is organising an order for Boards t-shirts if you are interested here.

Make it alot easier to spot/ support each other when we are out racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

Another marathon (or two) in 2013.
    Looking at the waterford half in December as I think I need a longer run goal than a 10km.

Strengthen my quads. I had two knee ops on the same knee and my quad on that leg is much smaller than the other one. :-| Should really have sorted that before DCM2012... probably no coincidence all the problems I had were on the other leg.

Another marathon (Stockholm, June & entering NYC lottery)

Beat my PBs:
    5m : 39:37 Race Series 2012
    10k: 48:13 Curragh
    HM: 2:12:49 1st half of DCM2012 - aiming for sub 2 in Waterford
    Marathon: 4:53:37 DCM :(

Marathon time is the big one I want to take down.
    Next goal, under 4:30
    Want to be under within a year. Should be possible.
    Terrible display in DCM2012 - not reflective of my ability at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Waterford Half entered - I'm taking this one slow & steady. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Mr Slow wrote: »

5k:
    Mile 1 - This is tough
    Mile 2 - OMG will this ever end I feel sick
    Mile 3 - I hate 5k's I'm not meant to run this fast, someone shoot me so I can stop
    Last .1 - 1198.gif

Then you cross the finish line, recover and smile and say something like 'Racing is what it's all about' :)

That's why I hate short distances, hand on heart I'd rather run a marathon than a 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi guys,

Just in case you havn't seen it. Kurt is organising an order for Boards t-shirts if you are interested here.

Make it alot easier to spot/ support each other when we are out racing!
    Brilliant, so excited to get one of these! Wonder will it be ready in time for the Waterford 1/2!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

snowman224 wrote: »

Another marathon (or two) in 2013.
    Looking at the waterford half in December as I think I need a longer run goal than a 10km.

Strengthen my quads. I had two knee ops on the same knee and my quad on that leg is much smaller than the other one. :-| Should really have sorted that before DCM2012... probably no coincidence all the problems I had were on the other leg.

Another marathon (Stockholm, June & entering NYC lottery)

Beat my PBs:
    5m : 39:37 Race Series 2012
    10k: 48:13 Curragh
    HM: 2:12:49 1st half of DCM2012 - aiming for sub 2 in Waterford
    Marathon: 4:53:37 DCM :(

Marathon time is the big one I want to take down.
    Next goal, under 4:30
    Want to be under within a year. Should be possible.
    Terrible display in DCM2012 - not reflective of my ability at all.

You should be capable of a sub 4 with that 10km time. I got 4.22 and my 10km best was 52 mins and that was totally flat!

Advertisement