Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Gavlor wrote: »
    I s'pose I should start running again!!

I've enjoyed my ten day break and I cant wait to get out for a nice handy 5 miles tonight.

Broke the news of my plan to run 3 marathons in 2013 to my better half over the weekend... It didn't go down too well! I had hoped that by her taking up running it would soften her a little but nope, she's trying to set me a 2 marathon limit! Maybe an extra Christmas pressie might do the trick :)

Remember that my PB is are 4:50 and 2:09 respectively for FM/HM so what follows is just theory for me and not experience!

I've been thinking about this the last few days and actually been wondering if maybe your BH is doing you a big favor? When you're still early in your marathon career and pushing for big improvements in each race and your 2013 sub 3, how many marathons in a year makes sense. I'm wondering about quality over quantity

I'm guessing you'll be training continually/consistently for next 12 months. I feel that the body needs time to change and deliver the improvements even with intense training. I think the irony here is that it's the training and not the racing that takes the time and you'll probably do almost the same amount of training whether its 2 or 3 marathons. Also 1 race less = 1 taper less + 1 recovery less = 8 weeks more training time available.

Seeing the positive side may lead to more harmony and both with super PB's in 2013!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Walkedit wrote: »
    Also 1 race less = 1 taper less + 1 recovery less = 8 weeks more training time available.

Good post. Depends on when the races are really. If 2 marathons are within say 4 weeks of each other, one marathon training cycle will be sufficient for both of them. You would also cut out 1 taper if they were in close proximity as the gap would stand as both a recovery and a taper.

My thoughts would be max 3 marathons a year, with 1-2 being a goal marathon. Unless you run them easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Walkedit wrote: »

Remember that my PB is are 4:50 and 2:09 respectively for FM/HM so what follows is just theory for me and not experience!

I've been thinking about this the last few days and actually been wondering if maybe your BH is doing you a big favor? When you're still early in your marathon career and pushing for big improvements in each race and your 2013 sub 3, how many marathons in a year makes sense. I'm wondering about quality over quantity

I'm guessing you'll be training continually/consistently for next 12 months. I feel that the body needs time to change and deliver the improvements even with intense training. I think the irony here is that it's the training and not the racing that takes the time and you'll probably do almost the same amount of training whether its 2 or 3 marathons. Also 1 race less = 1 taper less + 1 recovery less = 8 weeks more training time available.

Seeing the positive side may lead to more harmony and both with super PB's in 2013!

Is that you mrs gavlor?????

Yeah, it's a hard one to call. I'm thinking one in April (goal race) one in July (easy pace) and one in oct/nov (goal race).

I dont really want too much down time as I tend to lose focus and to not bother with proper training

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Gavlor wrote: »
    Is that you mrs gavlor?????

Yeah, it's a hard one to call. I'm thinking one in April (goal race) one in July (easy pace) and one in oct/nov (goal race).

I dont really want too much down time as I tend to lose focus and to not bother with proper training
    I agree with this actually. I am finding I am being a bit non committal and flippant with my training with having no specific race in the immediate future. A combination of that and also the cold miserable weather, and I am struggling to get motivated to get out running. I’m hoping starting a strict training plan in January for Cork City Marathon will have me back on the straight and narrow.

On the flip side though, I wonder does running too many marathons mean you lose some motivation because it becomes less of a big deal and harder to get excited about…

I guess it could work either way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Must be Christmas party night!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

tang1 wrote: »
    Must be Christmas party night!!
    Hell yes :) Dublin city centre full of festive cheer last night!
    Rather stupidly I ditched last nights run in favour of more time to get ready so now gonna have to head out for my 4 miles, it'll be slow going..... :p

Thanks I probably should biggrin.png Have to do a course in Kildare and won't be finished till 3 but I just saw on the link that coalshed posted that wheelworx is open till 9 biggrin.png It looks fairly straightforward to get to as well which is good cause I am a complete ditz when I'm driving........that should maybe read especially when I'm driving. (4 years into my last job and my boss was still having to draw me maps before I went on calls redface.png)

If you're going to Wheelworx, register with them and you'll get 10% off. Or if you're in Kildare and an Asics woman try their store in Kildare shopping outlet - don't do gait analysis but if you know what you want they're good value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I seriously have to invest in a Garmin. I tried a new route today and was trying to figure out by time how many miles I must've done. Its a pain having to map it then when I get home. I was waiting to see if I'd keep the running up before buying one but I may as well anyway since even if I stop running, i'll take it up again when the weather is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

rasher_m wrote: »
    I seriously have to invest in a Garmin. I tried a new route today and was trying to figure out by time how many miles I must've done. Its a pain having to map it then when I get home. I was waiting to see if I'd keep the running up before buying one but I may as well anyway since even if I stop running, i'll take it up again when the weather is better.
    I got the Garmin FR10 from AK and I love it. Its really basic but it does the job:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

If all else fails, rasher, you can download Google Earth and measure the route on there - very accurate and easy enough to do. Good for planning long runs too.

murph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Me too. Want one with the heart rate monitor. Will look 2nd hand after Xmas I think

• Advertisement

I got the Garmin FR10 from AK and I love it. Its really basic but it does the job:D

Yeah I'm looking for something basic as well. I can't be arsed with heart rate etc plus I'd probably just scare myself with it :D
    murphd77 wrote: »
    If all else fails, rasher, you can download Google Earth and measure the route on there - very accurate and easy enough to do. Good for planning long runs too.

murph

Cheers Murph, yeah at the moment I''m using mapmyrun, its just a pain having to go through the motion
    Me too. Want one with the heart rate monitor. Will look 2nd hand after Xmas I think

Yeah I hear Amazon do some good deals, I'd wonder about 2nd hand watches though. Its difficult to know how good a shape its in or if its on its way out. Thats just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

So I'm hoping to do a May marathon - Limerick most likely. Just did the sums and that would mean starting an 18 week training plan in first week of Jan - in 2 weeks time:eek:. I've read Advanced Marathoning (love that book - makes so much sense) and am considering following the 18 week 55 mile plan out of it - although it seems like a lot of miles fairly quickly compared to something like the Hal Higdon intermediate plan. Is this what most folk on here are using for their next marathon?

Runchick wrote: »
    So I'm hoping to do a May marathon - Limerick most likely. Just did the sums and that would mean starting an 18 week training plan in first week of Jan - in 2 weeks time:eek:. I've read Advanced Marathoning (love that book - makes so much sense) and am considering following the 18 week 55 mile plan out of it - although it seems like a lot of miles fairly quickly compared to something like the Hal Higdon intermediate plan. Is this what most folk on here are using for their next marathon?
    Ya I'm thinking of doing exactly the same....limk + p&d 55 mile but I'll prob add in some more long runs cause I'm doing the 50k in portumna in june

Ya I'm thinking of doing exactly the same....limk + p&d 55 mile but I'll prob add in some more long runs cause I'm doing the 50k in portumna in june

50km! Impressive :-)

I'm planning to follow that plan too Runchick, have the book but haven't read it yet, will be a bit of light Christmas reading for me! My marathon isn't til June, so I have an extra few weeks to get rid of some of the Christmas excess before the serious training begins!

It is quite a ramp up of miles, but the miles seem to be spread more evenly than HH, so hopefully it will be doable.

I've read Advanced Marathoning (love that book - makes so much sense) and am considering following the 18 week 55 mile plan out of it - although it seems like a lot of miles fairly quickly compared to something like the Hal Higdon intermediate plan. Is this what most folk on here are using for their next marathon?

I'll be using the 18 week 55 mile plan also, but I may make it a 15 week one cos otherwise I should have it started by now!:eek:
    ncmc wrote: »
    I'm planning to follow that plan too Runchick, have the book but haven't read it yet, will be a bit of light Christmas reading for me! My marathon isn't til June, so I have an extra few weeks to get rid of some of the Christmas excess before the serious training begins!

It will be far from light just to warn you!;) Lets just say it's not bedtime reading material.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'll prob add in some more long runs cause I'm doing the 50k in portumna in june

You, my dear, are a certifiable lunatic! :D

After a very disrupted week (only got my Monday 4m in), I did a very slow (courtesy of Lexi being unimpressed at me hauling her out of her bed for a run at 9:20pm) 3m. LSR with Mrs. D in the morning...

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    You, my dear, are a certifiable lunatic! :D

Think that was confirmed before the running started. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Like a few others here have had a bad week. Ran the Bull Island Santa Dash last Sunday and the cold I'd been fighting all week eventually took hold that evening. I ended up completly drained of energy for most of the week so no running for me and plenty of drugs. Was feeling better by Friday morning so my plan of dropping in to parkrun this morning was back on the cards.

So this morning lined up at the start proud as punch in my Boards AC top. A fellow boardsie popped over to say hello (Dr Quirky??) and then we were off. Went off at what I thought was a fair pace until I realised I was in company of runners of a higher caliber. Check my watch to see I'd obviously got caught up in the stampede at the start and gone off close to full tilt. Panicked slightly but kept going albeit a little slower. In the end I came home in 22.04, almost 20 seconds faster than the Jingle Bells 5k 2 weeks ago. Was delighted with the new PB. Of course like most people I'm already wondering if I can take off those 4 seconds next time out.

I found this was a good chance to reflect on my first year running. I ran my first 5k back in Febuary in 30.30 and struggled badly. I've now singed up for the Tom Brennan 5k on New years day and the Raheny 5 mile on the 27th although neither of these are relly my goal races for the year. I'm in 2 minds if I'll give the marathon another go this year, I'm finding I enjoy the shorter distances so they will probably be my priority (45 min 10k and sub 20 5k) and I'm enjoying not having to spend any more than 2 hours running when I could be with the kids.

Now all thats left is to pick my goal races, the 10k will probably be first and I'll aim to use the Rathfarnham 5 k as my main attempt at sub 20 mins. That all said I plan to run a couple of halfs during the year including the Dublin.

• Advertisement

Like a few others here have had a bad week. Ran the Bull Island Santa Dash last Sunday and the cold I'd been fighting all week eventually took hold that evening. I ended up completly drained of energy for most of the week so no running for me and plenty of drugs. Was feeling better by Friday morning so my plan of dropping in to parkrun this morning was back on the cards.

So this morning lined up at the start proud as punch in my Boards AC top. A fellow boardsie popped over to say hello (Dr Quirky??) and then we were off. Went off at what I thought was a fair pace until I realised I was in company of runners of a higher caliber. Check my watch to see I'd obviously got caught up in the stampede at the start and gone off close to full tilt. Panicked slightly but kept going albeit a little slower. In the end I came home in 22.04, almost 20 seconds faster than the Jingle Bells 5k 2 weeks ago. Was delighted with the new PB. Of course like most people I'm already wondering if I can take off those 4 seconds next time out.

I found this was a good chance to reflect on my first year running. I ran my first 5k back in Febuary in 30.30 and struggled badly. I've now singed up for the Tom Brennan 5k on New years day and the Raheny 5 mile on the 27th although neither of these are relly my goal races for the year. I'm in 2 minds if I'll give the marathon another go this year, I'm finding I enjoy the shorter distances so they will probably be my priority (45 min 10k and sub 20 5k) and I'm enjoying not having to spend any more than 2 hours running when I could be with the kids.

Now all thats left is to pick my goal races, the 10k will probably be first and I'll aim to use the Rathfarnham 5 k as my main attempt at sub 20 mins. That all said I plan to run a couple of halfs during the year including the Dublin.

Sounds like you may have a bit of a talent for the 5ks alright, i'd be surprised if you don't break the 20 mins next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I need your votes please

(No not for the forum awards - but see how I craftily remind you ;) :P :pac:)

It's actually about the sheet.

When the new year ticks over the tabs down the bottom are going to change to Week 1, Week 2 etc with the year to date distances resetting and tracking from the start of the year.

Option 1) Start a completely new sheet for 2013
    Option 2) Use existing link / sheet and keep going (with distances reset to 0)
    Option 3) Use existing link / sheet with distances reset to immediately after DCM - tracking total distance from one DCM to next.

Pros and cons - a new sheet for 2013 only tracks 2013 whereas using the existing sheet shows all runs and progress in races etc post DCM which is where the group here was borne from. Having said that not everyone here is running DCM again this year so it may not be the best line in the sand to take.

Throwing this out early enough to get your thoughts on it before the new year sheet is required.

Thanks for thinking ahead PM! I think my vote would be for either option 1 or 2, I think the distances should be reset. I would think there are a few people who haven't been contributing to the current sheet who intend to start running again in Jan plus as you say, not everyone is planning to do DCM 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Thanks for looking after the sheets PM. I vote for either 1 or 2.

Yeah I'd vote 1 and maybe keep the current sheet as an archive for those who want to look back?
    I think most who have plans for marathons have started their own logs.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    You, my dear, are a certifiable lunatic! :D LSR with Mrs. D in the morning...
    It's only 5 miles more than a marathon and you get to run slower ;)
    Hope ye have a good run this morning:)
    blockic wrote: »
    Think that was confirmed before the running started. :pac:
    I'm actually worse when I'm not running.....too much energy or something :D
    I need your votes please

(No not for the forum awards - but see how I craftily remind you ;) :P :pac:)

It's actually about the sheet.

When the new year ticks over the tabs down the bottom are going to change to Week 1, Week 2 etc with the year to date distances resetting and tracking from the start of the year.

Option 1) Start a completely new sheet for 2013
    Option 2) Use existing link / sheet and keep going (with distances reset to 0)
    Option 3) Use existing link / sheet with distances reset to immediately after DCM - tracking total distance from one DCM to next.

Pros and cons - a new sheet for 2013 only tracks 2013 whereas using the existing sheet shows all runs and progress in races etc post DCM which is where the group here was borne from. Having said that not everyone here is running DCM again this year so it may not be the best line in the sand to take.

Throwing this out early enough to get your thoughts on it before the new year sheet is required.
    I think option 1 but keep a link to the old sheet so you can refer back to it if thats possible. Thanks PM :D

Yeah I'd vote 1 and maybe keep the current sheet as an archive for those who want to look back?

+1

Must update the sheet we have now that I think of it - must be a couple of weeks behind at this stage.

19.5k this morning with Mrs D - average pace 5.11/km. Felt like forever but it's done now.

It's only 5 miles more than a marathon and you get to run slower ;)
    That's exactly what Mrs D says - and I don't believe she has any notion of slowing down either!

Doesn't really matter I think cos the world is ending Friday anyway!:pac:

My vote goes to rasher's suggestion.

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »

Doesn't really matter I think cos the world is ending Friday anyway!:pac:

My vote goes to rasher's suggestion.

+1 on rasher's suggestion :)

Advertisement