Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

blockic wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter I think cos the world is ending Friday anyway!:pac:
    Isn't it great the way kids believe everything they're told :D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Re the table I'd go with option 1,start the New Year afresh:p

Been a disaster of a few days running wise,between one thing or another just have not been able to get out for a run since last Wednesday:mad: so headed off as early as possible this morning for my lsr but garmin wasn't charged so ran it by feel & just took things nice & easy.Felt so goooood to be back out running:)
    On a more worrying note my OH probably can't get time off so I can do Dungarvan but at least I've got Ballycotton as a back up for that(although they haven't cashed the cheque for that yet:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This week sees the second of 4 sessions specifically designed towards the mini-goal races at the end of January. This promises to be a tough session, but I promise it will be an easy week next week with Christmas and all (aren't I nice :p)

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |5 mile easy|rest/cross|session*|3 miles recovery|5m easy |rest/cross|LSR (10-13 miles)

Session:

5 milers: 1 miles easy warm up followed by 5 x 1 mile @ goal pace (3-4 minute recoveries) 1 mile easy cooldown

10kers 1 mile easy warm up followed by 1 x 2 mile (5 minute recovery) and then 4 x 1 mile (3-4 minute recoveries) all at goal pace. 1 mile cooldown.

10 Milers: 1 mile easy warmup followed by 1 x 3 mile (5 minute recovery jog) and 2 x 2 mile (4 minute recovery jog) 1 mile easy cool down.

For the 10k and 10 milers the session will probably almost as long as the weekend LSR but that's ok as it gets you used to a medium long run in the week. Most advanced marathon programmes will have at least 10+ miler midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

The Rathfarnham jury vote for option 1. Good Man Mr Messiah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Another vote for option 1 here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

vote for option 1 here too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Meno, is it ok to do the 5 mile session as part of an LSR or is that just pointless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

tang1 wrote: »
    Meno, is it ok to do the 5 mile session as part of an LSR or is that just pointless?

It would be best to do the session and an LSR seperately.

But if that's not an option go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

A) option 1
    II) thank you PM

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Last week not too bad...pretty much everything done running wise. Ordered some supplements last week, hopefully they will do their respective jobs.

Will get some of this weeks plan done but forget anything from friday on cos I'm on the pi$$ for 2 days:cool:....first time since june:eek:. It's going to be epically messy but it has to be done, sorry meno!

Also after 7 years I'm stopping club golf for the forseeable future...this is officially what I do now:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Option 1 is grand with me too, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Option 1 good with me, thanks PM:D

Just checked the spreadsheet and I'm at 918 miles for the yr so far -I will admit, had a moment where wondered how feasible it'd be to do 41 miles a week for next 2 wks just to hit the magic 1,000:eek:
    Have thought better now as would actually like to enjoy myself over Christmas so guess I'll have to try to hit magic number for next yr's sheet:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

FiiFii wrote: »
    Option 1 good with me, thanks PM:D

Just checked the spreadsheet and I'm at 918 miles for the yr so far -I will admit, had a moment where wondered how feasible it'd be to do 41 miles a week for next 2 wks just to hit the magic 1,000:eek:
    Have thought better now as would actually like to enjoy myself over Christmas so guess I'll have to try to hit magic number for next yr's sheet:)

Another good reason to go metric, methinks - you've already done 1,477 km this year, so 1,500 is well within your grasp. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

murphd77 wrote: »
    Another good reason to go metric

What's metric? ;)

Off today so got out and done 8 miles before noon :eek: Was nice and sunny here down south, quite enjoyed it apart from avoiding dogs at every house I passed!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

blockic wrote: »
    What's metric? ;)

Off today so got out and done 8 miles before noon :eek: Was nice and sunny here down south, quite enjoyed it apart from avoiding dogs at every house I passed!:rolleyes:

Very good, you are inching your way towards becoming a morning runner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Very good, you are inching your way towards becoming a morning runner :D

No chance! Anything after 10am is acceptable to me though!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

murphd77 wrote: »
    Another good reason to go metric, methinks - you've already done 1,477 km this year, so 1,500 is well within your grasp. :pac:

23k very manageable alright, even with xmas parties.. wahoo, am converting back to KM:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

First run in 23 days for me. I enjoyed my self enforced break and I feel really fresh as a result.

Did a slow cold wet and muddy 4.5 miles in 33 mins this afternoon and i enjoyed every step :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Taking it easy today as my left knee and right foot are feeling a little dodgy after my run yesterday, during which I never felt quite right. Hoping to be back in action tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Anybody else doing the 8k turkey burner in duncannon (costa del Wexford) on 30th of this month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gavlor wrote: »
    Anybody else doing the 8k turkey burner in duncannon (costa del Wexford) on 30th of this month?

Fraid not - if I'm running that day it'll be the 4m in New Ross.

Chances are I'll be resting though - left knee is niggling again. Have appointment with Physio on Wednesday. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Fraid not - if I'm running that day it'll be the 4m in New Ross.

Chances are I'll be resting though - left knee is niggling again. Have appointment with Physio on Wednesday. :(
    I feel your pain Dilbert, literally! My legs have been quite tired and sore the last couple of weeks. My right knee is sore, my left IT band, my right hamstring, I have sciatica pain down my left hand side! I actually think I have more pain than I did after the marathon! I can’t even blame high mileage, or hard sessions, as I haven’t really being following Meno’s plan.

I also need to get back to the physio, but it will be after Christmas at this stage, so I am just hoping to limp (again literally) to the end of the year – I only have 26 miles to go to get my 1000th mile, so will hopefully get that and then get myself sorted for once and for all in January.

Sweet Jebus NCMC - that list of ailments makes me feel a lot better. Physio appointment brought forward by a day - presently sitting on the block awaiting attention / torture... :o

Was previously on a par with you mileage-wise but have taken so many short breaks in the last few weeks that I've backed away from it. Anyway the 1500km challenge is the new 1000m challenge...

Have the tights on after a 10day lazy break. No excuses just didn't get out. 6miles into the wind, see you on the other side.

If anyone is driving around Ballinteer / Rathfarnham area and see a slow moving icicle, you might be so good as to offer me a lift :)

Physio appointment brought forward by a day - presently sitting on the block awaiting attention / torture... :o

Torture survived - coronary ligament strain with a little medial meniscus damage, coincident with lateral quad tightness. Rest a little bit, avoid running clockwise, try stay off heavily cambered roads and should be fine.

Torture survived - coronary ligament strain with a little medial meniscus damage, coincident with lateral quad tightness. Rest a little bit, avoid running clockwise, try stay off heavily cambered roads and should be fine.

Glad it's nothing too serious Dilbert! My physio recommends an Epsom salt bath after a session, it's a lovely way to ease out the muscles.

4 miles done in the wind and cold tonight, legs felt a good bit better actually! Only 22 miles to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

Slowly getting to the 1000m myself, 21 miles to go. Finding it tough to motivate myself to get out for any long runs. Need to enter a race early next year to get myself focussed again.

Done, not too cold at all really. Just confirms my preference for morning running, get up, get it done, get home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

bren69 wrote: »
    Slowly getting to the 1000m myself, 21 miles to go. Finding it tough to motivate myself to get out for any long runs. Need to enter a race early next year to get myself focussed again.

21 m to go, theres you motivation right there for this week, the more you get done this week, the less you have to do next week to get to the 1000m mark, don't start 2013 disappointed you didn't put the last push on for the magic number...unless you're injured of course!!

• Advertisement

^^^ +1, I'm making a big push to get out at least 4 times this week, even though I have a Christmas party on Friday night which could throw a spanner in the works! Intend to be no more than 4 miles short at the end if this week, hopefully get my 1000th mile on Christmas Eve and then take a few days off when I plan to eat my body weight in Roses and drink many, many glasses of wine!

Advertisement