Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

ncmc wrote: »
    ^^^ +1, I'm making a big push to get out at least 4 times this week, even though I have a Christmas party on Friday night which could throw a spanner in the works! Intend to be no more than 4 miles short at the end if this week, hopefully get my 1000th mile on Christmas Eve and then take a few days off when I plan to eat my body weight in Roses and drink many, many glasses of wine!

still 2 full weeks to the end of the year!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Done, not too cold at all really. Just confirms my preference for morning running, get up, get it done, get home!

Amen to that. Nothing can get in the way....apart from the odd snooze button

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

^^^ +1, I'm making a big push to get out at least 4 times this week, even though I have a Christmas party on Friday night which could throw a spanner in the works! Intend to be no more than 4 miles short at the end if this week, hopefully get my 1000th mile on Christmas Eve and then take a few days off when I plan to eat my body weight in Roses and drink many, many glasses of wine!

If you manage the 1000 miles considering the list of niggles you gave in your previous post, then never mind roses, you deserve a giant box of butlers chocolates!!

Your body is definitely trying to tell you something, my advice would be to listen to it.... If you are planning on running to the 1000 mile mark then make sure they are all easy runs on as flat a route as you can find. Then give your injuries TIME to heal!

Younganne wrote: »

21 m to go, theres you motivation right there for this week, the more you get done this week, the less you have to do next week to get to the 1000m mark, don't start 2013 disappointed you didn't put the last push on for the magic number...unless you're injured of course!!

Sadist ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Only 22 miles to go :)

Well done you - it's a huge milestone and it took a hell of a lot of work and dedication.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

3 very windy miles done tonight, ran out Clontarf Rd towards Howth and back. Running towards Howth was a killer, wind coming off the sea felt like i was running on the spot at times. Got called a weirdo by few homeless dudes sleeping rough in Clontarf baths to, they may have been right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Another +1 on spread sheet Option 1 starting afresh but with a twist. Can we carry forward 2012 totals (Km&Mls) as two new ref cols say W & X to right of existing. That way we can watch as 2013 catches up and hopefully passes it by. Thks PM again for doing the sheets for us all.

I'm stuttering to the end of 2012 with a cold so no running since last Wed. I had a 5k planned for the weekend that got abandoned I think any racing is finished for 2012. As the cold is bettering I had in mind a few easy miles this morning pre work but the rain has put me off, not the weather to start back, maybe tonight. Since my running life only started in July my 1000m challenge is a 500m challenge for 6 months, total so far is 479 so hopefully that gets done. I'll have the full quota for 2013 and no time based excuses next year.

Santa is bringing me new Kayano's so baptising them after Xmas is going to be my motivation to get back out there after the food fest whatever the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Gavlor wrote: »
    If you manage the 1000 miles considering the list of niggles you gave in your previous post, then never mind roses, you deserve a giant box of butlers chocolates!!

Your body is definitely trying to tell you something, my advice would be to listen to it.... If you are planning on running to the 1000 mile mark then make sure they are all easy runs on as flat a route as you can find. Then give your injuries TIME to heal!
    Mmmm Butlers! That sounds like a plan!
    To be fair, none of my aches are anything serious, they’re more niggly and annoying than anything else. They were particularly irking me on Saturday but that was a crap run in everyway anyway, I wouldn’t run through serious pain at all. But I do intend to book in for a good painful session with the physio in the first week of Jan.
    tang1 wrote: »
    3 very windy miles done tonight, ran out Clontarf Rd towards Howth and back. Running towards Howth was a killer, wind coming off the sea felt like i was running on the spot at times. Got called a weirdo by few homeless dudes sleeping rough in Clontarf baths to, they may have been right!!
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Done, not too cold at all really. Just confirms my preference for morning running, get up, get it done, get home!

Agree killian, up, out the door and back by 7.30am this morning...hardly noticed the rain. Early morning running rocks :)

Mmmm Butlers! That sounds like a plan!
    To be fair, none of my aches are anything serious, they’re more niggly and annoying than anything else. They were particularly irking me on Saturday but that was a crap run in everyway

Nothing too serious at the moment!

A good Physio will tell you to get niggles sorted before they escalate into something more serious.

Jaysus, I sound like my father :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Got out last night for 5 miles. Like Tang I got some seafront in but only a Mile of it... had to turn my head away from the coast to breath.. I'm sure I looked odd but it was dark ;-)
    Was trying to put my new ChiRunning Theory into practice.. focus on core.. lean forward.. relax the limbs.. I have to say it had some benefit. It's uncomrtable because it's Change & I've to think about it. But I'm sure after a while it'll become automatic & hopefully increase efficiency & reduce injury/strain.

Meno - I got this from one of your suggestions, so did you read this book early on & make changes as a result? It's full of decent tips. But I cringe at other parts of it 'Dear Danny... '

Anyone else reading it or got a view on it? I'm kind of avoiding the sessions until I settle into a new way of running. The reduced mileage lately has my legs feeling nice & fresh for sure. I'm going to keep my main focus as Cork Marathon in June. But I'll enter shorter races on the way of course.

Moving on to 'Advanced Marathoning' very soon.. I'd started it a few weeks ago but ChiRunning is getting priority now. A veteran I know said I shouldn't read too much! And I'm still toying with joining a running club & starting a log for Jan 2013 & setting the 1000 mile challenge. Also have a 2nd hard Garmin 305 organised, just need to pick it up.

Happy Christmas all! Already started the over indulgance of chocolate & alcohol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Meno - I got this from one of your suggestions, so did you read this book early on & make changes as a result? It's full of decent tips. But I cringe at other parts of it 'Dear Danny... '

I only read the book recently but I began to consciously run on my midfoot/forefoot about 3 years ago as I was getting a lot of niggly lower leg injuries. That has definitely helped me a lot.

I found the Chi-Running book very interesting. I got it because I had heard so many good things about Catriona Mckiernan's Chi Running workshop. I still think of it's principals a lot when I am getting it tough in a race or session. The bit about leaning forward helps a lot I find. When I tilt my core forward I find running faster to be less of a strain (it makes so much sense when you think of gravity).

All that said I still have a few muscle imbalances myself hence the niggle in my hip. I think I will definitely book myself into a chi running workshop in the new year to see if they can spot any flaws in m form that might be causing the niggle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

haha...sounds like something I would do. To be honest I think you're making very good use of time. What else is there to do on a night shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

rasher_m wrote: »
    What else is there to do on a night shift.

wiggum.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Finally getting back to a running routine, 3 bouts of sickness since DCM have played havoc with my running. 2 short easy runs so far this week, feels good to be back out. I still have it in my head to do Limerick marathon so need to get my ass in gear. Plan of doing loads of running over Christmas and get back into full swing. Just ordered new running gear on wiggle :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

blockic wrote: »
    wiggum.jpg

;) True..I'm not giving Tang enough credit!

blockic wrote: »

wiggum.jpg

I'm more Dirty Harry than Chief Wiggum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

Younganne wrote: »
    21 m to go, theres you motivation right there for this week, the more you get done this week, the less you have to do next week to get to the 1000m mark, don't start 2013 disappointed you didn't put the last push on for the magic number...unless you're injured of course!!

Thanks Younganne. Read this earlier and am just back from 6miles. 15 to go. I like ncmc's plan to get the last few miles done on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Just done Meno's midweek TORTURE:D speed session,Man that was tough,report to fllow later when I have sufficiently recovered:rolleyes:

The plan this morning was to run this on the Dungarvan10 route but after the torrential rain last night miles 3 to 4 were badly flooded & as it is also quite awinding & busy road it was viable to run this stretch this morning.
    Started off doing the 1st mile nice & slowly & took fea road parrallel to the flooded stretch of the Dungarvan10 route but being able to join the route at about the 5mile mark.
    My target pace should be around 7:48 min per mile,for the 1st half mile of the speed session the garmin was really getting on my nerves telling me to speed up (even though I felt I was pushing it as much as possible),garmin range was set for a range between 7:50 & 7:20(very ambitious:D).Unlike my original planned route this route has a slight pull for a lot of the start then disaster,this road was flooded as well,no option really but to plough on through it(0.2miles long)water flying everywhere(legs are gonna chaff here & also just realised I hadn't covered ny nipples either,this was gonna be a session from hell:eek:))
    The 3 mile section of this session just after I got back onto the Dungarvan route(average pace 7:43),ah a breather for 10 mins(so I thought)until the garmin started beeping at 5 mins,so off again.
    A nice downhill for half a mile(down hill running not my forté) but the garmin is still telling me I'm going too slow:mad:, took about a half mile to get up tp pace to keep the mr. garmin happy but at this stage the brain wanted to push on but my soaked legs & feet were just not co-operating,finished this section just before I got back onto the n25 at the 8 mile mark(average 7:52 for ths section).
    5 mins of a breather & off again,pushing on as hard as I could passed the turn off for the finish but still had under a mile to go,continued along the n25,0.3 miles to go & then a nice little hill,decided to push on & try not let the pace drop,the brain & legs joined forces to push me to the top when the watch eventually beeped:)(average pace 7:51),found a gate to lean against as at that stage my stomach was unsure what it really wanted to do,once stomach settled again continued to finsh off meno's planned session with a nice sloe cool down + had to another mile to get back to the car so total distance for the day 11.2 miles, meno's session 10.32miles in 1:26:00.
    While the session was tough it really was enjoyable in a torturous kinda way;)

On The continuing theme of distances ran for the year,14 more to go to make 2,000 for the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Jaysus, I sound like my father :(

That's not too bad, when getting my Christmas haircut today, I was asked if I wanted my eyebrows 'tidied up'!

docjewel wrote: »
    The plan this morning was to run this on the Dungarvan10 route but after the torrential rain last night miles 3 to 4 were badly flooded & as it is also quite awinding & busy road it was viable to run this stretch this morning.
    Started off doing the 1st mile nice & slowly & took fea road parrallel to the flooded stretch of the Dungarvan10 route but being able to join the route at about the 5mile mark.
    My target pace should be around 7:48 min per mile,for the 1st half mile of the speed session the garmin was really getting on my nerves telling me to speed up (even though I felt I was pushing it as much as possible),garmin range was set for a range between 7:50 & 7:20(very ambitious:D).Unlike my original planned route this route has a slight pull for a lot of the start then disaster,this road was flooded as well,no option really but to plough on through it(0.2miles long)water flying everywhere(legs are gonna chaff here & also just realised I hadn't covered ny nipples either,this was gonna be a session from hell:eek:))
    The 3 mile section of this session just after I got back onto the Dungarvan route(average pace 7:43),ah a breather for 10 mins(so I thought)until the garmin started beeping at 5 mins,so off again.
    A nice downhill for half a mile(down hill running not my forté) but the garmin is still telling me I'm going too slow:mad:, took about a half mile to get up tp pace to keep the mr. garmin happy but at this stage the brain wanted to push on but my soaked legs & feet were just not co-operating,finished this section just before I got back onto the n25 at the 8 mile mark(average 7:52 for ths section).
    5 mins of a breather & off again,pushing on as hard as I could passed the turn off for the finish but still had under a mile to go,continued along the n25,0.3 miles to go & then a nice little hill,decided to push on & try not let the pace drop,the brain & legs joined forces to push me to the top when the watch eventually beeped:)(average pace 7:51),found a gate to lean against as at that stage my stomach was unsure what it really wanted to do,once stomach settled again continued to finsh off meno's planned session with a nice sloe cool down + had to another mile to get back to the car so total distance for the day 11.2 miles, meno's session 10.32miles in 1:26:00.
    While the session was tough it really was enjoyable in a torturous kinda way;)

On The continuing theme of distances ran for the year,14 more to go to make 2,000 for the year

2000 MILES??!

Is that a typo? If not, you need to get out more ;)

2000 MILES??!

Is that a typo? If not, you need to get out more ;)

My Oh thinks I get out too much:D I'll pass on your advise to her:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Hi All
    Well done on all the super racing and training over the past few weeks. Brilliant going! Everyone def deserves a few box of chocolates over the hols :)
    I've only been lurking the past couple of weeks cos I've been out of action myself. Been doing regular Physio sessions and have been doing all the stretches she's given me. The past 2 weeks I've been allowed run twice a week no further than 3miles at time. Thought at start how will I only stick going 3 but believe you me still having knee pain coming and going I was just about managing the 3. It's sickening seeing your fitness drop, been doing some stationary bike work but it just doesn't give ya the endorphins of being outside running. Plus cardio wise it's just not the same. I'm hoping to keep up the daily stretching and foam rolling over next few weeks and praying this might get me back doing some half decent mileage in the new year. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Seems the overwhelming consensus is for a new sheet for the new year. Next weeks sheet therefore will have 8 days in it to finish off the year.

New sheet will start off with a 6 day week and then into the standard 7 days afterwards. I will put in a column at the end for this years final totals so that they can be tracked and bettered :) at some point late next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

I will put in a column at the end for this years final totals so that they can be tracked and bettered :) at some point late early next year.

:cool:

Thanks PM, any update on the shin??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Thanks PM, any update on the shin??

No real news other than I will have a fair few lbs to shift in the new year as well as I've been eating like I was still marathon training whilst not running biggrin.png Had to cancel the doc at short notice last week and it's been crazy work wise so haven't rescheduled yet.

That said things are feeling better - leg has stopped throbbing and I'm only aware of it when I think about it so my thoughts at this stage are stay off it until the new year - that will have given it 8 weeks since DCM which is what a stress fracture would have required rest wise (and to be fair to physio the minimum time frame she told me I would be out for) Plan then is to ease back into it in early January. It's the perfect time of year to be out injured to be fair - missing the cold, icy dark and windy runs isn't the worst thing in the world. I had been toying with the idea of doing Cork this year but I think it might be too much too soon. Dublin is the priority for me. Either way - just looking forward to getting out there :)

• Advertisement

No real news other than I will have a fair few lbs to shift in the new year as well as I've been eating like I was still marathon training whilst not running biggrin.png Had to cancel the doc at short notice last week and it's been crazy work wise so haven't rescheduled yet.

That said things are feeling better - leg has stopped throbbing and I'm only aware of it when I think about it so my thoughts at this stage are stay off it until the new year - that will have given it 8 weeks since DCM which is what a stress fracture would have required rest wise (and to be fair to physio the minimum time frame she told me I would be out for) Plan then is to ease back into it in early January. It's the perfect time of year to be out injured to be fair - missing the cold, icy dark and windy runs isn't the worst thing in the world. I had been toying with the idea of doing Cork this year but I think it might be too much too soon. Dublin is the priority for me. Either way - just looking forward to getting out there :)

Good to hear, your missing nothing running in this weather as you said. Come back fit & healthy in the new year.

Advertisement