Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

6.5 miles done. the dog hates going out in the rain, but run in the rain, jeez I am no longer his best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

6.5 miles done. the dog hates going out in the rain, but run in the rain, jeez I am no longer his best friend.
    Oh you horrible owner you! I bet he is dialling the ISPCA as we speak! My lady is the same, she gives me this ‘WTF?’ look…. to be fair, I think our four legged friends probably have the right idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Terrible seesion last night. No energy and really fell short of my target pace, really short. Very disheartened today.

A combination of early mornings into work this week and the usual end of year "need the holidays to come soon" mood.

To make matters worse, woke this morning with stabbing pain from my right ankle....magic!!:(

I need rest and booze...roll on friday 21st!!

Merry christmas to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Yeah my session didn't work out at all. I started getting my sore ankle back again last weekend and it was quite sore on Sunday's lsr.
    Went for the 5 mile easy run on Monday and got through that but last night was the end of it. I ran a mile warm up and could feel it tightening and then one mile at race pace and it started spreading. Its the tendon from the back of the calf that runs to your ankle and its been a slight problem throughout DCM. It usually gets worse when I run faster. I have an appointment on Saturday with physio but this guy has not sorted it out yet so I'm losing faith in him.
    He says dry needling will sort it out but I'm a bit skeptical of him and that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

I have a good bit of work to do in the next 5 weeks if I'm going to go sub 40 in Raheny! Done the 5 * 1 mile intervals last night with 3 mins recovery, splits were: 8.04 / 8.09 / 8.05 / 8.05 / 8.11. Was dead on my feet after, not sure how I'm going to manage 5 slightly quicker miles with no recovery!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

rasher_m wrote: »
    Yeah my session didn't work out at all. I started getting my sore ankle back again last weekend and it was quite sore on Sunday's lsr.
    Went for the 5 mile easy run on Monday and got through that but last night was the end of it. I ran a mile warm up and could feel it tightening and then one mile at race pace and it started spreading. Its the tendon from the back of the calf that runs to your ankle and its been a slight problem throughout DCM. It usually gets worse when I run faster. I have an appointment on Saturday with physio but this guy has not sorted it out yet so I'm losing faith in him.
    He says dry needling will sort it out but I'm a bit skeptical of him and that as well.

Hey rasher sounds a bit like my issue. Had physio today - dry needling in both calves, ouch:( good luck on Saturday...I am really happy with my physio, might be worth trying someone else if you're really not sure about yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Did the 5x1 plus warmup/cooldown today. Circumstances made it easier for me to do it on the treadmill which I know is a bit of a cheat but hey it's better than not doing it at all (and I always sweat more on the 'mill so good for the seasonal detox). Happy enough with the progress (in that I was able to keep up with the treadmill) so hopefully I'll be in good shape for a good sub-40 5 miles in Raheny next month, by which time I'll be in training for Cork 2013 anyway.

Runchick wrote: »

Hey rasher sounds a bit like my issue. Had physio today - dry needling in both calves, ouch:( good luck on Saturday...I am really happy with my physio, might be worth trying someone else if you're really not sure about yours?

Yeah i believe its painful and if the person practicing doesnt hit the exact spot it can be a lot worse. im sick of this injury its been lingering for at least 6 months and ive been to yer man loads of times and he hasnt managed to sort it. i will have to do my homework and find someone better. how many sessions of this will you have to go through?

Yeah i believe its painful and if the person practicing doesnt hit the exact spot it can be a lot worse. im sick of this injury its been lingering for at least 6 months and ive been to yer man loads of times and he hasnt managed to sort it. i will have to do my homework and find someone better. how many sessions of this will you have to go through?

In my experience the needling really loosens things up. I can really feel the benefit of today's session. If I am religious about stretching and foam rolling I shouldn't need it again but don't tend to be very good at this part :( I think a daily stretching routine will have to be my new years resolution though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Lads if physio isn't getting the results then move on! There are as many bad ones as good ones I find. Or some just don't get running! They cost enough so find one that works for you.
    Ps: that's a unisex use of 'lads' before I get in trouble!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I'd be looking at other physios rasher if i were you, 6 months is a long time without any kind of result. Think it was Mr Slow who said a good physio is worth there weight in gold. Yours doesn't sound like that unfortunately for you.

tang1 wrote: »
    I'd be looking at other physios rasher if i were you, 6 months is a long time without any kind of result. Think it was Mr Slow who said a good physio is worth there weight in gold. Yours doesn't sound like that unfortunately for you.

Yeah, I know and you're not the first to say that to me. After a few massages its okay for a while and then it starts again but he hasn't gotten to the root of the problem.
    I was only going to him cause hes local.
    Does anyone know anyone in the Santry/Drumcondra area whos any good?

Runchick wrote: »
    In my experience the needling really loosens things up. I can really feel the benefit of today's session. If I am religious about stretching and foam rolling I shouldn't need it again but don't tend to be very good at this part :( I think a daily stretching routine will have to be my new years resolution though :)

Yeah I'm guilty of the lack of stretching too, in fact I had been good but on the Saturday run, day before the lsr I never stretched and it was after that when it started again :rolleyes:
    I was just saying that to Fifi when I met her on Sunday.:(
    I felt like I was dragging my foot along for the final few miles on Sunday and could actually hear the rubber off my runner dragging along the ground :D
    Thats the last of my ranting about it, you'll be glad to hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I felt like I was dragging my foot along for the final few miles on Sunday!
    That does not sound great at all. You probably know that there's a lot of controversy around dry needling. Personally I would not feel comfortable spending any money at all on this practice (but hey, if ya got it...)

Either way, it doesn't sound like that particular physio is working out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

murphd77 wrote: »
    That does not sound great at all. You probably know that there's a lot of controversy around dry needling. Personally I would not feel comfortable spending any money at all on this practice (but hey, if ya got it...)

Either way, it doesn't sound like that particular physio is working out for you.
    Just on the dry needling, I have never had it done, but my sister in law had it done on her sciatica and she said it was amazing, instant relief after months of pain. I might look into it myself in the new year. I suppose it may work on some conditions better than others, after hearing her endorsement, I certainly wouldn’t rule it out.

Yeah I was saying earlier about being skeptical about it as well. I don't think its for me, I'm not a big believer of alternative medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I tried the dry needling once, did the job, released the tight muscles just like a massage. But this is not the cause of the problem being fixed. It might be a form issue. Just finished 'chi running' last night and it makes a lot of a sense. In the long term you have to look at the cause; poor form, weak core, heavy heel strike, over striding, and so on.

Hey murph what's the issue with the needling? I haven't heard much about it either way, is there something I should know :eek:

It might be a form issue. Just finished 'chi running' last night and it makes a lot of a sense. In the long term you have to look at the cause; poor form, weak core, heavy heel strike, over striding, and so on.

Yeah I totally agree with you there. I know I over pronate and probably have a weak core. I started a few exercises 2 weeks ago so I'm sure I'll be given more tomorrow.

I tried the dry needling once, did the job, released the tight muscles just like a massage. But this is not the cause of the problem being fixed. It might be a form issue. Just finished 'chi running' last night and it makes a lot of a sense. In the long term you have to look at the cause; poor form, weak core, heavy heel strike, over striding, and so on.

Hi Stephen couldn't agree more. I had numerous injuries - hip, ankle, etc. which I now know were down to poor form due to weak glutes and lower abs. I've been consciously changing my running form over the last 2 weeks - just pulling in my glutes while running. I can feel the improvement in form right away and haven't had a hip or ankle niggle since - which I find amazing! But according to physio a change in form like this can cause adjustment issues and it can take about 6 weeks to make the transition. So I got tight calves as a result in the change in form and not stretching anywhere near enough. The needling seems to have relieved this so I'm determined to stay on top of the stretching and stay out of the physio's room for as long as possible from here on :D

I used to think that all you had to do was put on your runners and hit the road, pfft! This running business can be complicated ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Hi, hadn't realised there was controversy about it, what has been said about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

sassyj wrote: »
    Hi, hadn't realised there was controversy about it, what has been said about it.

+1

I have never got it done, but reading about it, the technique does make sense, similar to a massage, releasing tension in the muscles. Not sure how it could be controversial?

blockic wrote: »
    +1

I have never got it done, but reading about it, the technique does make sense, similar to a massage, releasing tension in the muscles. Not sure how it could be controversial?

Well, hope I don't offend anyone, this is just an opinion of someone who performs alternative medicine whom I was speaking to...

They were saying that they reckon dry needling may be practiced sometimes by a Physio cause its easier to insert needles, sit back and relax than it is to perform a deep tissue massage.

You may have to go back several times if they don't insert the needle into the exact location and it can be more painful if its not inserted successfully.

Also how much experience does a Physio have of dry needling compared to someone who practices this technique alone and has done a long term course. (I'm not saying they havn't but maybe you'd have to discuss it with the Physio)
    There are short courses on this type of thing where you hand over a wad of cash and get an immediate certification.

Now whether this is controversial is a matter of opinion I guess. But I'm not sure what Murphy means by what he said.

Well, hope I don't offend anyone, this is just an opinion of someone who performs alternative medicine whom I was speaking to...

They were saying that they reckon dry needling may be practiced sometimes by a Physio cause its easier to insert needles, sit back and relax than it is to perform a deep tissue massage.

You may have to go back several times if they don't insert the needle into the exact location and it can be more painful if its not inserted successfully.

Also how much experience does a Physio have of dry needling compared to someone who practices this technique alone and has done a long term course. (I'm not saying they havn't but maybe you'd have to discuss it with the Physio)
    There are short courses on this type of thing where you hand over a wad of cash and get an immediate certification.

Now whether this is controversial is a matter of opinion I guess. But I'm not sure what Murphy means by what he said.

I see your point alright, but is that not more an issue with the physio and the actual physio's knowledge of the technique rather than the actual technique itself?

I see your point alright, but is that not more an issue with the physio and the actual physio's knowledge of the technique rather than the actual technique itself?

Well didn't Murphy say 'the controversy around dry needling'
    ...this can mean a multitude so maybe we need Murph to elaborate ;)

Well didn't Murphy say 'the controversy around dry needling'
    ...this can mean a multitude so maybe we need Murph to elaborate ;)

Apologies I'm more of a scanner of posts than a reader, I pick out the main things and not the detail!:o

Apologies I'm more of a scanner of posts than a reader, I pick out the main things and not the detail!:o

No worries J, my sister has been known to call me Miss Marple, Sherlock when shes being kind :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Big conrats & round of applause for our very own PM, just crowned New Poster of the Year on the A/R Forum. Let me be the first to say PM the award is totally deserved, thanks for your valuable input and inspiration over the past 12 months.

Big conrats & round of applause for our very own PM, just crowned New Poster of the Year on the A/R Forum. Let me be the first to say PM the award is totally deserved, thanks for your valuable input and inspiration over the past 12 months.

+1,000,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

+1 Go PM

Advertisement