Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Sick kids and now a sick husband have played havoc with my running this week...missed Friday's run and only managed to get out for 7.6m today. Ah well, next week's should be doable.

I'm planning running tomorrow and Tuesday morn as my butt will be planted to a plane seat for most of Wed and Thur bound for sunny Australia :D:D Don't worry folks, I'm sure I'll find time during my 3 weeks away to come on here and moan to ye all about how hard it is to run in the heat :p I might even find a 5 or 10k to do over there..well that's if all the BBQs and beer allow for that ;) The P&D plan is in the suitcase so hopefully have a go at starting that...now I wonder does surfing count as cross training... :P

Have a great Christmas folks, and I look forward to all our running adventures in 2013 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Goal Mile in Fairyhouse racecourse for me. Happy Christmas everyone & I hope Santa brings you all the [enter the relevant running gift] you deserve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thanks for the plan Meno :)

Runchick hope you have a fab time in oz. Whereabouts are you headed to?

Hope everyone has a lovely xmas and new year :D

Thanks for the plan Meno :)

Runchick hope you have a fab time in oz. Whereabouts are you headed to?

Hope everyone has a lovely xmas and new year :D

Headed for Melbourne CM. I remember doing a 5k run (well more of a walk really) over there about 6 years ago and I could hardly make it round the course, marvelling at all the fit folk who actually ran the whole thing :eek: How times change eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Eventually got out for a run this evening,just over 12.5 miles,more importantly broke the 2,000 mile mark this evening for the year:D,now to start enjoying the Xmas festivities as much as possible;)

Wishing everyone here a merry Xmas & a Happy New Year & hopefully all those with a few niggles & injuries that they will clear up over the next few weeks so everyone can get back to serious running in the New Year.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Runchick wrote: »

Headed for Melbourne CM. I remember doing a 5k run (well more of a walk really) over there about 6 years ago and I could hardly make it round the course, marvelling at all the fit folk who actually ran the whole thing :eek: How times change eh!

Runchick Have a great trip, why not look out for some Parkruns?

DJ well done on. 2000 miles that's mega

And Merry Xmas to all

Safe journey Runchick.

7m done, not feeling the love for it at the moment; have put on a bit of weight over the last two weeks (just a couple of lbs) but feeling very conscious that it has gone on. The next week will be a big test of my resolve! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Happy Christmas fellow graduates. :)

I woke this morning to a framed poster size photo collage of my marathon run with the centre piece being my crossing the line with my little one.

I don't think anyone else I know would appreciate and understand it as much as you guys would so thought I'd share the news here. :D

I hope Santa was good to everyone. Roll on 2013 !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great present PM, sounds brilliant!

Happy Christmas to everyone! It has been some year, with many new friends being made on here, making this running lark so much easier!! Time to celebrate by eating and drinking!!

Have a great day!

Sod it. I'm going for a run.

• Advertisement

Sod it. I'm going for a run.

Go for it! Best of luck.

7min15 GOAL mile done yesterday & 9.5miles in the Phoenix Park this morning. This morning was really tough, took about 4miles to get into it. 10.30 avg for the first 4m & 9.30 avg for the rest but really glad to get out.

A few days off now, looking forward to it!

Nothing like staring at a poster of you running a marathon to motivate you to get up and run. Was a complete spur of the moment thing. Just had an overwhelming urge to go and do it.

Mixed bag of results. Covered 4k in total but probably only 2k spent running.

The bad:
    Legs all over sore. Elements of burning agony in places meant a lot of walk breaks. Muscles very very tight.

The good:
    Breathing was fine. No issues at all. So fitness level not catastrophic. In January last year I couldn't run for a minute at a time so I'm well up on this even with 2 months out. I was half afraid I'd be back to square one but this isn't the case.

The best:
    It felt great to be out there again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Just checking my training diary and last time i raced this year is 12th of August Midlands Half, cant believe its that long ago. Cant wait for the 5k blow out in Phoenix Park New Years Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Back from my first run in about 12 days - took my new spikes to the field beside our estate and did just over 5k in about 25 mins. Went well enough, aside from one slip which ended up with a very muddy faceplant (no lasting injuries though) - fields were very wet though, am mucked pretty much up to the waist. Felt some tweaks from the left knee but hopefully it's going to be ok.

On a side note, have started reading Chi Running and have Advanced Marathoning waiting in the queue behind it.

I got Advanced Marathon book as well, haven't gone near it yet! Savi g it for the DCM13 traini g after I get Limerick out of the way.

I also got 'Who dares, runs' by Gerry Duffy. This is the lad that ran 32marathons in 32 days in the 32 counties. Really enjoying it, there are great stories from his athletic experiences and some real motivation in it. It's a real easy read, I'd certainly recommend it.

This bloke did a double ironman triathlon, a double! That's 7.6km swim, 224mile bike & then 56mile run - all in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I got Advanced Marathon book as well, haven't gone near it yet! Savi g it for the DCM13 traini g after I get Limerick out of the way.

I also got 'Who dares, runs' by Gerry Duffy. This is the lad that ran 32marathons in 32 days in the 32 counties. Really enjoying it, there are great stories from his athletic experiences and some real motivation in it. It's a real easy read, I'd certainly recommend it.

This bloke did a double ironman triathlon, a double! That's 7.6km swim, 224mile bike & then 56mile run - all in one go.

He done 10 Ironmans in ten days to, was only one of 3 competitors to finish the whole thing i think. Has serious mental strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Did he mention the bit where I almost pipped him in the donadea 50k last year? :pac:

I don't think it is in the book but he did 10 Ironmans in 10 days a few years ago, I think that is more impressive than the other things as it doesn't leave much time for eating or sleeping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

I read that a while ago and really liked it too. Makes our marathon efforts look like an easy 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Trying to work up the motivation to get off my warm couch and head out for a little run, feel like a pig!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Trying to work up the motivation to get off my warm couch and head out for a little run, feel like a pig!
    Do it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I can't wait for this eating and drinking to end!

I met a buddy last night that did Austria iron man this year. His training consisted of morning swim each day @ 6 followed by bike/core/running in the evening. At weekends, a 6 hour spin on the bike was followed by an hour run on Saturday, with his Lsr on Sunday :O that's an iron man removed from by bucket list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Do it :P
    Thanks cm, 4.6m done and a clear conscience!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Thankfully have been able to get out a couple of times this week including a GOAL mile in 6:33. Very happy with that. A couple of more runs left this year and then starting off with the Tom Brennan 5k on New Years day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas. I would love to be getting out myself.
    I found a really good article on Posterior Tibial Tendonitis and the whole article describes all of the symptoms I've had for the past six months as its a gradual injury. From not being able to put weight on my foot first thing in the morning to tendernous along the side of the calf. I'll attach the link here for anyone who thinks they might have it coming on.
    http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8205450/tibialis-posterior-tendonitis-posterior-tibial-t.htm

Hopefully I'll be back on track soon. On a funnier note or maybe not so funny for me. I got out on my bike the other night but my brother had been cycling it so the saddle was very high (he had an allen key taped to the saddle to lower it but I was in a rush. I had to really stretch to reach the peddles. Next day my bum was really sore and I've discovered a huge blister on it so can't cycle for a few days now as well :mad:

I've volunteered to scan the barcodes at the Parkrun this Saturday so I might see a few of you there...must set my alarm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Running three miles after three days eating your own weight in selection boxes is hard!!

4.77 miles done this morning in the Aussie heat - and plenty of hills around here, oh boy, that's one way to shake off the jetlag! Can someone please post the link to the spreadsheet, many thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Did my first park run 5k in Malahide today. Good old race and a guaranteed new pb since I've only ran one race at this distance before about two years ago.

Nice to see Rasherm volunteering.

I'll look out for the results later but think I did something like 21'18 or so...which had me at maybe around twentieth.

(if I'd figured out how to accurately use my new Garmin 410 I'd have a more precise time to report!!!)

Runchick wrote: »
    4.77 miles done this morning in the Aussie heat - and plenty of hills around here, oh boy, that's one way to shake off the jetlag! Can someone please post the link to the spreadsheet, many thanks :)

Its on page 1 of this thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

tang1 wrote: »
    Just checking my training diary and last time i raced this year is 12th of August Midlands Half, cant believe its that long ago. Cant wait for the 5k blow out in Phoenix Park New Years Day.

What's the target tang? Sub 20?

Advertisement