Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

11.5k this morning before breakfast to hit target of 1200k for the year (over 1000k since June). Happy New Year everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

The wife got off work early so I got out unexpectedly, felt good did 9 comfy miles at 8:50 avg pace. The chi running is really a big improvement for me, my calves are grateful! Only got going in June 2012 so did about 500 miles. Next year I'm aiming for 1000 and a few pb's. more about that in my log which ill start next week! Happy new year to you all and I look forward to putting some faces to names next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi everyone

New sheet can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvtQvl8pDuH3dFEyTDZDTXhJaEh5dGpRYzZQQ2JFZVE

Perhaps one of the mods could put this link into the OP for handiness sake ?

Basically it's the same as before. Things to note for this week are:

• For convenience sake I have included today (new years eve) in the sheet as it is the first day of the week. However my advice is to leave it blank so the sheet tracks your runs for the year of 2013 (today is also included in the last week of the old sheet)
    • As suggested by walkedit I will put in the yearly totals for 2012 but obviously I can't do this until 2012 is over and is logged etc so these will appear on next weeks update.
    • Meno's weekly plan etc will go in once posted.
    • Loads of space for new members to get involved - even if you just want to use it as a tracker for the year.
    • I have left in the upcoming races tab - but only the 2013 races have been brought across.
    Any other suggestions or feature requests please feel free to post up !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Perhaps one of the mods could put this link into the OP for handiness sake ?

done :)

RayCun wrote: »
    done :)

Ninja Mod !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    P.S. maybe see a good few of you on Tuesday??? We can all go for a nice cool-down jog after the race if there's any interest?

Nice one meno, I'll be up for this. Sure come over to me in the finish area when you finish.:pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

I've been lurking rather than posting over the past few weeks. Anyway, its great to know that everone is as bad as me for junk & beer:eek::eek:, in one sense I cant wait for it to be over so I can stop eating chocolate - its not easy when its everywhere though:( Congrats to the people that have passed 1k & 1.5k etc for the year, I'm just sorry that I never kept tabs on how much I did over the year, I dont have a garmin & never kept a record - I was a bit like forest gump really without the beard:eek: I only found the novices thread in September & I would highly recommend it to anyone giving marathon a go for the first time - I think that all of us learned something there & are wiser for it.
    Strangely my training has gone ok for the past few weeks, I've been getting out for 3 -4 runs a week ranging from 6 - 10 miles depending on time so I'm ticking over - the weather (mainly the wind) has been horrendous for the past 3 runs, I did 9 miles yesterday & it felt like 12 by the time I was finished, I'm not too pushed about getting wet but when you have the wind driving into you as well its not pretty.
    After saying NEVER AGAIN:o, the plan is to do a few 10k's & half marathons during the year & try to bring my half time down to around 1.45 - currently 1.56. I know that I have to drop about another stone in weight & do a lot more core work to achieve it & then hopefully I'll have another go at Dublin to try & break 4 hours.
    So thats it for 2012 folks, hopefully we will cross paths somewhere in the country in 2013 & I can put a few faces to the names.We've all done something in 2012 that we hadnt done before & being honest with you the reality of what we did is really sinking in over the past few days - hopefully we'll do it all over again this year - only better:D:D.

Happy running, health & happiness for 2013;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Happy New Year to you all, congrats on all the great running. I hope everyone who is injured returns to full health quickly, and that everyone gets what they dreams of in 2013. C some of you tomorrow!!;)

docrock wrote: »
    I've been lurking rather than posting over the past few weeks. Anyway, its great to know that everone is as bad as me for junk & beer:eek::eek:, in one sense I cant wait for it to be over so I can stop eating chocolate - its not easy when its everywhere though:( Congrats to the people that have passed 1k & 1.5k etc for the year, I'm just sorry that I never kept tabs on how much I did over the year, I dont have a garmin & never kept a record - I was a bit like forest gump really without the beard:eek: I only found the novices thread in September & I would highly recommend it to anyone giving marathon a go for the first time - I think that all of us learned something there & are wiser for it.
    Strangely my training has gone ok for the past few weeks, I've been getting out for 3 -4 runs a week ranging from 6 - 10 miles depending on time so I'm ticking over - the weather (mainly the wind) has been horrendous for the past 3 runs, I did 9 miles yesterday & it felt like 12 by the time I was finished, I'm not too pushed about getting wet but when you have the wind driving into you as well its not pretty.
    After saying NEVER AGAIN:o, the plan is to do a few 10k's & half marathons during the year & try to bring my half time down to around 1.45 - currently 1.56. I know that I have to drop about another stone in weight & do a lot more core work to achieve it & then hopefully I'll have another go at Dublin to try & break 4 hours.
    So thats it for 2012 folks, hopefully we will cross paths somewhere in the country in 2013 & I can put a few faces to the names.We've all done something in 2012 that we hadnt done before & being honest with you the reality of what we did is really sinking in over the past few days - hopefully we'll do it all over again this year - only better:D:D.

Happy running, health & happiness for 2013;)

I'm the same - drawing a line in the sand after tomorrow (Last supper as such with the folks !) Looking forward to being back training properly with no distractions. I've 3 stone to shift if I want to have a crack at 4 hours this year so I'm looking at 1lb a week for the next 42 weeks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Happy new year Everyone.looking back on 2012 we achieved so much!! We ran 26.2 miles!! I for one would have not thought it possible this time last year.roll on the PBs and marathons of 2013.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Brought forward the midweek session to this morning,a nice early crisp start to the day.
    Target pace 7:54,first 3 miles of pace weren't too bad,a little bit of up hill but managed to keep an average pace of 7:50:).
    Second set of 3 miles was unfortunately mostly up hill & even on the down hill bits I couldn't hit the target pace,avverage pace 8:20:o
    Last set of 2 miles & I was really dreading this after the last one but once I hit the target pace I managed to keep it up for the 2 miles,average pace 7:50:)
    Total meno's session 11.33 miles in 1:33, Total Distance Ran 12.78 miles so overall not a bad start to 2013.

Now to sit back & wait for all the mornings race reports to come;)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Just crossed 1500km with my 5m easy (?) run. Time to walk the dog now!

Happy 2013 to you all and thanks to you all for the company and advice in 2012. It's been a blast! Talk to you again next year.

Nice going dilbert. well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice to meet a good few of you this morning, some great performances too :D

Sorry for not being able to join yee for the cool down and a chat, thanks to younganne for doing that instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Didn't see any of you today. You must have all been way way ahead of me :( mad start to the day when car wouldn't start.had to cycle the four miles at speed to get to park. Then realised I had forgotten my bike lock but met very nice man who locked it to his and waited for me afterwards. Many thanks if he is on boards. Tough race but really enjoyed it and cycle home was very refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

First run of the year out of the way.

6.23 miles @ 7.00 mpm, slight improvement on my hungover stroll around duncannon on the 30th :)

Keep an eye out for my sub 3 log starting tomorrow, I'll be calling in your help on how to upload charts and garmin info etc!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

well done on the super preformance today..theres no stopping the lot of ye!!!
    Great to see the marathon faces again and great to meet a few more to put names and faces together!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

good morning this morning for the race. Meet RunningKing while warming up and then Tang, Blockic and Career Move came over and joined in. We then spotted Younganne and Meno so headed over for more introductions. The Boards AC tops seem to be doing the job in breaking the ice for a lot of people.

Despite Anne's insistence I settle nicely into the crowd a little further back then I should have to stop me going off too quickly. MOst of the finer details of the race are now a blur but I remember feeling strong throughout and even had enough left to race some guy beside to the finish line. Finshed in 21:46 officially, so another chunk of my 5k time and a good start to the year for me.

Joined up with the above mentioned Boardsies for a nice warm down jog, then had to wait for the wife since I'd locked my keys in the car :rolleyes:

Nice to meet a lot of you all this morning! Some great performances put in. Hopefully there will be many more days like it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Kinda jealous not to have been there today - sounds like a good race.

Currently trying to figure out next marathon target - Limerick (17 weeks, 4 days and 8 hours away - so I'm already behind schedule) or Cork (Limerick + 4 weeks).

TBH, contrary to my previous impression, I think I prefer the Limerick route - seems flatter and passes through the city centre at start, middle & end, so should be a good buzz. And it's earlier, so hopefully less likely to get hit with unseasonably warm weather (touch wood - a colleague did Cork in 30° heat one of the last couple of years. He also did Limerick and couldn't separate them, except for the concern about weather).

One thing is the road from here to Limerick is crap. And I'm a bit bothered by the finish being so close to the mile 21/22 segment - kinda like the Waterford half where we had to pass the finish line and then run a mile or more before we got to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Great to hear about so many great results. sounds like everyone enjoyed themselves.
    I went back out on the bike today, cycled into town and parked the bike and when i came back i caught two junkies trying to steal myself and my sisters bikes. We went over and i said they were our bikes and they denied trying to rob them. they then went off on two other bikes but they broke the lights off our ones. still had a really nice cycle.

• Advertisement

good morning this morning for the race. Meet RunningKing while warming up and then Tang, Blockic and Career Move came over and joined in. We then spotted Younganne and Meno so headed over for more introductions. The Boards AC tops seem to be doing the job in breaking the ice for a lot of people.

Despite Anne's insistence I settle nicely into the crowd a little further back then I should have to stop me going off too quickly. MOst of the finer details of the race are now a blur but I remember feeling strong throughout and even had enough left to race some guy beside to the finish line. Finshed in 21:46 officially, so another chunk of my 5k time and a good start to the year for me.

Joined up with the above mentioned Boardsies for a nice warm down jog, then had to wait for the wife since I'd locked my keys in the car :rolleyes:

Great result Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

rasher_m wrote: »

Great to hear about so many great results. sounds like everyone enjoyed themselves.
    I went back out on the bike today, cycled into town and parked the bike and when i came back i caught two junkies trying to steal myself and my sisters bikes. We went over and i said they were our bikes and they denied trying to rob them. they then went off on two other bikes but they broke the lights off our ones. still had a really nice cycle.

Fcuking scumbags!!! Kick in the bo!!ocks is what they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Well done to all who raced today, great starts to the year.

tang1 wrote: »

Fcuking scumbags!!! Kick in the bo!!ocks is what they need.

We were just saying that afterwards. if we were guys we would've grabbed them off the bikes. one of them was a bit aggressive as it was. started calling us names when i said they were our bikes and to get away from them. could've been worse though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

We were just saying that afterwards. if we were guys we would've grabbed them off the bikes. one of them was a bit aggressive as it was. started calling us names when i said they were our bikes and to get away from them. could've been worse though.

Boils my blood scumbags like that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

(deleted by OP)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Nice/horrible run to start the year around Atlantic drive in Donegal. Then signed up for the walled city marathon in Derry. Time to get my ads moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Really enjoyed that session today.

I did the five mile one, and ended up tired but not wrecked after each of the five mile pace miles...which I ran at between 7'18 and 7'30 pace.

Not really sure of what my pace should have been so perhaps I was a little slow. Still it was fun, and my first time using the garmin for a structured session so a success overall. Very mild conditions too.

One other thing, are the rest periods for stopping or slowing down...I walked or stopped altogether during them.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Sorry to hear about your bike, but glad you saw the guys in time. There's a special place in hell for bike thieves IMHO...or there should be.

• Advertisement

coalshed wrote: »
    One other thing, are the rest periods for stopping or slowing down...I walked or stopped altogether during them.

Normally done at recovery pace so just really slow jog during them to get your breath back. However, if you have to stop for a few seconds, you have to stop!:)

Advertisement