Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    Normally done at recovery pace so just really slow jog during them to get your breath back. However, if you have to stop for a few seconds, you have to stop!:)

+1, Ideally they should be done at a slow recovery pace. If you are totally wrecked after one of the reps it's fine to walk a little bit before getting jogging again.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Normally done at recovery pace so just really slow jog during them to get your breath back. However, if you have to stop for a few seconds, you have to stop!:)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    +1, Ideally they should be done at a slow recovery pace. If you are totally wrecked after one of the reps it's fine to walk a little bit before getting jogging again.

D'oh. Thanks, will jog on next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Interval run this morning. What a crap idea. Whoever said running was fun obviously hadn't tried intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

coalshed wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that session today.

I did the five mile one, and ended up tired but not wrecked after each of the five mile pace miles...which I ran at between 7'18 and 7'30 pace.

Not really sure of what my pace should have been so perhaps I was a little slow. Still it was fun, and my first time using the garmin for a structured session so a success overall. Very mild conditions too.

One other thing, are the rest periods for stopping or slowing down...I walked or stopped altogether during them.

What kind of training plan are you looking at for Paris coalshed?

What kind of training plan are you looking at for Paris coalshed?

Planning to start P&D 12 week 55 mile program, though I may have to ease into it as I haven't been quite hitting required mileage over recent weeks.

That's roughly the plan for Paris, though I still need to nail down all my pacing zones and a target time.

How are you set for Rotterdam? If I remember correctly you're looking for 3:15?

• Advertisement

coalshed wrote: »
    Planning to start P&D 12 week 55 mile program, though I may have to ease into it as I haven't been quite hitting required mileage over recent weeks.

That's roughly the plan for Paris, though I still need to nail down all my pacing zones and a target time.

How are you set for Rotterdam? If I remember correctly you're looking for 3:15?

Good man, I'm doing P&D 15 week 55mile plan ;). Slight adjustments to the 18 week plan.

I'm going ok, training is starting this week with Rotterdam in mind. 3:10 -3:15 and I'd be delighted/ lot of work between now and then though if i want to see that!

Good man, I'm doing P&D 15 week 55mile plan ;). Slight adjustments to the 18 week plan.

I'm going ok, training is starting this week with Rotterdam in mind. 3:10 -3:15 and I'd be delighted/ lot of work between now and then though if i want to see that!

Yeah, lots of running in the dark coming up, hopefully the weather will stay reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Sheet update:

I've moved the new joiners up into the main section so don't think someone deleted you ! Nice to be able to fill it in myself too even if it is just a few kilometres. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

PM, sheet is adding Monday (Dec 31) distances into the two "distance covered this year" columns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

murphd77 wrote: »
    PM, sheet is adding Monday (Dec 31) distances into the two "distance covered this year" columns.

Yep that's intentional. I mentioned it in the OP for the new sheet.

Monday was also in the last sheet for 2012 (it had 8 days) My advice was to leave it blank on the new 2013 sheet and enter it in the 2012 sheet if you wanted the new sheet to only track the calendar year of 2013.

Some people may prefer to have a weekly total for 52 weeks which would include the monday if you get me. That's why it's there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The break I took during December is really after doing me the world of good. 5 mile winter league tonight in 28.52. Delighted with that.

(I'll get to that log soon!)

Gavlor wrote: »
    The break I took during December is really after doing me the world of good. 5 mile winter league tonight in 28.52. Delighted with that.

(I'll get to that log soon!)

Some run there Gavlor. Well done!

Some run there Gavlor. Well done!

Cheers, you doing the John Treacy??

Cheers, you doing the John Treacy??

I am indeed, looking for sub 65 hopefully. Yourself?

I am indeed, looking for sub 65 hopefully. Yourself?

Yeah, will either be sub 65 or sub 60.... I'll see closer to the time. If its 65 we'll pace each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Yeah, will either be sub 65 or sub 60.... I'll see closer to the time. If its 65 we'll pace each other!

Meanwhile the rest of us mortals will be eating your dust!

Not long back from my session run (slightly shorter than plan due to late start) - found it tough enough, tbh.

As I understand it, the weekly plan is intended to prep us for our end of Jan races. But is everyone intending to switch to a marathon plan before long? I ask because its just over 17 weeks to the Limerick marathon, so anyone doing that with an 18 wk plan should already be working to it. What are the thoughts on that?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    As I understand it, the weekly plan is intended to prep us for our end of Jan races. But is everyone intending to switch to a marathon plan before long? I ask because its just over 17 weeks to the Limerick marathon, so anyone doing that with an 18 wk plan should already be working to it. What are the thoughts on that?

I know a few people are switching to marathon plans this week (that's fine btw). My plan is already at 30-35 mpw so it should be plenty to replicate the early weeks of most marathon plans and you could switch after the end of the January race if you want....what plan were you thinking of following?

Possibly one of the Hal Higdon intermediate plans. I've looked at the entry level P&D but I think it might be bit of a stretch this time - perhaps for DCM13.

Possibly one of the Hal Higdon intermediate plans. I've looked at the entry level P&D but I think it might be bit of a stretch this time - perhaps for DCM13.

I just had a look at them and they start off at 24 and 26 miles, the fastest pace being some marathon pace in Intermediate II.
    You'd be doing less miles and less pace work by joining either of those for now, you could always jump in a few weeks down the line... BTW I wouldn't say P&D is a lot harder than HH Intermediate- yes there is a bit more technical jargon but in essence most of P&D is easy running.

This actually brings up a good question, where would you all like to see the training go after the end of January? I am guessing everyone has different plans and most are doing marathons of differing dates, so it would be difficult to do up a weekly plan that suits anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

I just had a look at them and they start off at 24 and 26 miles, the fastest pace being some marathon pace in Intermediate II.
    You'd be doing less miles and less pace work by joining either of those for now, you could always jump in a few weeks down the line... BTW I wouldn't say P&D is a lot harder than HH Intermediate- yes there is a bit more technical jargon but in essence most of P&D is easy running.

This actually brings up a good question, where would you all like to see the training go after the end of January? I am guessing everyone has different plans and most are doing marathons of differing dates, so it would be difficult to do up a weekly plan that suits anyone???

I would suggest if we all update the upcoming races section in the spreadsheet and then you can judge from that if you can do a weekly plan that will satisfy a large portion.

For example if there is a big chunk of people doing Bohermeen then you could plan for that, or if a lot are aiming for Limerick full etc. My own preference would be planning for a good spring half marathon, e.g. a 8 week schedule to Bohermeen.

Failing that you could just make the plan progress but without a target race it could get aimless/meaningless....but I think just 1 plan to suit as many as possible and if we have our own goal races we can amend it ourselves to suit our individual goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

miguelk wrote: »
    I would suggest if we all update the upcoming races section in the spreadsheet and then you can judge from that if you can do a weekly plan that will satisfy a large portion.

For example if there is a big chunk of people doing Bohermeen then you could plan for that, or if a lot are aiming for Limerick full etc. My own preference would be planning for a good spring half marathon, e.g. a 8 week schedule to Bohermeen.

Failing that you could just make the plan progress but without a target race it could get aimless/meaningless....but I think just 1 plan to suit as many as possible and if we have our own goal races we can amend it ourselves to suit our individual goals.

Or he could create an individual plan for each of us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

rasher_m wrote: »

And come out and pace us through those pesky sessions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

dazza21ie wrote: »

And give us a massage afterwards while feeding us grapes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

And give us a massage afterwards while feeding us grapes:D

I can imagine poor meno lying back with his injury pulling his hair out reading this thread:D he really has no idea what he has let himself in for:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

docjewel wrote: »
    I can imagine poor meno lying back with his injury pulling his hair out reading this thread:D he really has no idea what he has let himself in for:D:D

He will obviously get alot of credit and satisfaction when Blockic medals in Rio:D Might just be worth putting up with the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Am I the only one doing Limerick? Or am I just the only one that has signed up yet!

I'm leaning towards doing it, just not signed on the line yet. Think I need a little push.

Afaik CM is doing it too.

I added my races to the sheet - Raheny, Bohermeen & Paris...now to register for Raheny and Bohermeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I'm leaning towards doing it, just not signed on the line yet. Think I need a little push.

Afaik CM is doing it too.
    Yip its on my list :D I haven't registered yet though

• Advertisement

He will obviously get alot of credit and satisfaction when Blockic medals in Rio:D Might just be worth putting up with the rest of us

Haha, I have no words!:eek: I won't make it to 2016 anyway, I'm retiring before 30!:D Jasis, just looking at that number scares me! Oh the thought of it! *shudder* ...:pac::P

I don't really have a say as I won't be following it (might go back and follow plan from the start after my marathon though) but I'll give my thoughts anyway. :D I see a good few people doing Bohermeen or Ballycotton, maybe a 4 week plan leading up to that?

Looking at it from the other side, from July onwards most people will have DCM as a target, so you have a gap between March and July to fill.

In between my marathons plans, I intend to work on short distances for a couple months(10k to HM) from April on with hill work and intervals being a big part of the training.

I think something like this after the races in March would be of great benefit for people as a base for starting DCM training in July.

Advertisement