Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »

Haha, I have no words!:eek: I won't make it to 2016 anyway, I'm retiring before 30!:D Jasis, just looking at that number scares me! Oh the thought of it! *shudder* ...:pac::P

Whoa whoa whoa, show some respect for your elders :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Haha, I have no words!:eek: I won't make it to 2016 anyway, I'm retiring before 30!:D Jasis, just looking at that number scares me! Oh the thought of it! *shudder* ...:pac::P

Jaysus i better find myself a museum so, at 34 i must be a relic of some kind!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Gavlor wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa, show some respect for your elders :(
    tang1 wrote: »
    Jaysus i better find myself a museum so, at 34 i must be a relic of some kind!!

Knew ye'd like that one!:D

Knew ye'd like that one!:D

We'll see how you feel in fungarvan when people get you confused for the 35 yr old and assume that I'm the sprightly twentysomething ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

menoscemo wrote: »

I just had a look at them and they start off at 24 and 26 miles, the fastest pace being some marathon pace in Intermediate II.
    You'd be doing less miles and less pace work by joining either of those for now, you could always jump in a few weeks down the line... BTW I wouldn't say P&D is a lot harder than HH Intermediate- yes there is a bit more technical jargon but in essence most of P&D is easy running.

Hmm - I'm really not sure though. It's not so much about where they start from, it's where they go to - the basic P&D goes up to 55m per week. I'm just not certain I want to commit that amount of time to running. As it stands I'm struggling to keep up with the weekly plans, though I guess the Christmas disruptions didn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Hmm - I'm really not sure though. It's not so much about where they start from, it's where they go to - the basic P&D goes up to 55m per week. I'm just not certain I want to commit that amount of time to running. As it stands I'm struggling to keep up with the weekly plans, though I guess the Christmas disruptions didn't help.

I'm going with the hal higdon intermediate dilbert for cork. Starting on 14th of this month with an extra 2 week buffer in there bringing the plan to 20 weeks (just in case). Thinking of slotting in a couple of extra miles on some of the runs if I think I can, rather than committing fully to the bigger mileage from the start....will see how it goes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm in the exact same boat Dilbert, planned to follow the P&D 55 mile plan for Cork, bought the book and everything (still unread!) but like yourself, I'm wondering if it is too much of a time commitment. I think it's especially tough in the winter when you don't have the benefit of the long summer evenings to run.

I think I've left myself at a disadvantage in that I haven't done any races since DCM and my next race isn't til March. I think I'm suffering from a lack of motivation as a result.

I'm now in two minds about what approach to take for Cork, train hard and aim for 3:30-3:45 or use Cork as more of a training run and aim for that goal in Dublin.

Decisions, decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

ncmc wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat Dilbert, planned to follow the P&D 55 mile plan for Cork, bought the book and everything (still unread!) but like yourself, I'm wondering if it is too much of a time commitment. I think it's especially tough in the winter when you don't have the benefit of the long summer evenings to run.

I think I've left myself at a disadvantage in that I haven't done any races since DCM and my next race isn't til March. I think I'm suffering from a lack of motivation as a result.

I'm now in two minds about what approach to take for Cork, train hard and aim for 3:30-3:45 or use Cork as more of a training run and aim for that goal in Dublin.

Decisions, decisions!

Are there any short races close-by ncmc, that you could slip in before then to give you something to aim for?

The basic P&D goes up to 55m per week. I'm just not certain I want to commit that amount of time to running.
    ncmc wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same boat Dilbert, planned to follow the P&D 55 mile plan for Cork, bought the book and everything (still unread!) but like yourself, I'm wondering if it is too much of a time commitment.

I'm starting P&D this week, and the only real difference between it and HH is one longer midweek run (significantly longer alright to be fair). You'll be doing 5 days anyway pretty much regardless of it being HH or P&D and once you are out there, what's an extra couple of miles?

And sure the evenings are getting brighter!;)

What you could do if P&D is too much of a stretch is to put PMP miles into the HH long runs, it would add a notch to the plan while not being as much as a time commitment as P&D.

I think you've hit the nail on the head - the basic P&D has you doing up to 14m midweek - my midweek evenings are too busy for that, so the HHI plans are a bit more reasonable. I'm not doubting that the results from P&D would be better but...

I do like your idea for a compromise between the two though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

For whats its worth I tried to follow the P&D 55 mile week plan for my first marathon in Waterford last summer.Just lloking back over some of the runs now & I'd say I only did about 80% of them & I know I could not do some of the longer midweek runs due to time restrictions.
    My solution was to add another mile or two to other runs during the week trying to make up the mileage.
    After Waterford(end of June) I did very little for the first month & got injured in August.Three weeks & no running.
    Took a chance at the start of September & just fell into the P&D plan where I should have been & I think the work done on the P&D plan leading up Waterford really stood to me.

Another thing in P&D's favour,I have a marathon PB from Dublin of 3:43:52 which is slightly faster than some of you but at the same time ye're PB's for 5k/5mile/10mile/Half Marathon would be way better than mine.
    Obviously I can't say for sure that P&D is responsible for it but reading other training logs on here(especeially Krusty's I think) P&D will produce great stamina.I think Krusty said at one stage that you may not feel as freash at the start line of a marathon using P&D but you will definitely finish better or words to that effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

docjewel wrote: »

Another thing in P&D's favour,I have a marathon PB from Dublin of 3:43:52 which is slightly faster than some of you but at the same time ye're PB's for 5k/5mile/10mile/Half Marathon would be way better than mine.
    Obviously I can't say for sure that P&D is responsible for it but reading other training logs on here(especeially Krusty's I think) P&D will produce great stamina.I think Krusty said at one stage that you may not feel as freash at the start line of a marathon using P&D but you will definitely finish better or words to that effect

This is definitely a very good point. P&D is all about stamina. I followed P&D for my second Marathon and was 45 minutes faster, but my Half time maybe only improved by 10 minutes and 5k time by 1 minute in the same time.
    The midweek longish runs are no doubt responsible in a large part for this (as is doing several 20 mile long runs and starting them early in the plan). All in all I think P&D is a great program but you do have to be in a postion (mileage wise) to be able to do it without injury. I think the HH plans lack specificity and are not really designed for people to get their best performace over marathon.

This is definitely a very good point. P&D is all about stamina. I followed P&D for my second Marathon and was 45 minutes faster, but my Half time maybe only improved by 10 minutes and 5k time by 1 minute in the same time.
    Ha! I followed HHN2 for my 2nd and took 1:04 off my time!:D Seriously though I know what you mean.
    The midweek longish runs are no doubt responsible in a large part for this (as is doing several 20 mile long runs and starting them early in the plan). All in all I think P&D is a great program but you do have to be in a postion (mileage wise) to be able to do it without injury. I think the HH plans lack specificity and are not really designed for people to get their best performace over marathon.
    This is where I'm a bit concerned - I reckon HHI2 might be my next step, get my mileage up a bit and then graduate to P&D55 for DCM13 (when the evenings are brighter and I've a better choice of roads for training on).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

I'm going with p&d55 for cork anyway. Stamina let me down in dcm and I'm not too bothered about the shorter distance times. On a weds I can fit in the long midweek run by jogging home from work 11m. Avoiding injury is my main concern! Seems to be a good few of us doing cork which is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I reckon HHI2 might be my next step, get my mileage up a bit and then graduate to P&D55 for DCM13 (when the evenings are brighter and I've a better choice of roads for training on).
    That sounds like a good idea esp if you throw a few PMP miles into HH like Blockic said.

On another note from you're goal race times it looks like you'll be seeing a lot of me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I went for a mile walk today (not fast) and my ankle was giving me some shooting pain. Looks like it'll be another few weeks at least before I do anything. My foot felt the exact same way as 3 weeks ago, doesnt feel any better after today. I'm after getting a loan of a heat lamp, will try it out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

rasher_m wrote: »
    I went for a mile walk today (not fast) and my ankle was giving me some shooting pain. Looks like it'll be another few weeks at least before I do anything. My foot felt the exact same way as 3 weeks ago, doesnt feel any better after today. I'm after getting a loan of a heat lamp, will try it out tomorrow.
    Sounds rough. Did you get an MRI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Sounds rough. Did you get an MRI?

Nah, I just went to physio. My foot has been grand for walking around the house etc. Today was the first time I decided to walk to the shopping centre and it was with my dad so it was slow enough. I thought It would've improved. I'll just have to rest and treat it, I havnt been putting anything on it. Just doing the exercises I got. I suppose if I've had this since before the Dublin half then its going to take a while to reverse.
    Touch wood, its not overly painful, just enough to want to take the weight off it when the pain shoots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

rasher_m wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that A :(

On another note from you're goal race times it looks like you'll be seeing a lot of me :D

I'm not sure which one of us should be more afraid :)

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that A :(
    +1 - injury sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

im in the same boat here. have read p&d book and very good but long midweek run and speed runs on dark country roads are too easy to miss sometimes for valid reasons. been doing meno plan as much as possible and have been driving to nearest town to do sessions on wed because of street lighting. this adds another hour to session and getting home from work and driving out again is a hassle. I think i will do cork and am aiming for 15 min improvement from dcm to break 4 hours. did 14 mile pmp run new years eve with loads of hills ..... just need to find 12 more at 9.08 for sub 4....so i think i might try hal inter 1or 2 with more pmp runs. i have not ran race since dcm either but have been training to do a sub 80 ten miler in spring. new pb of 85 mins for 10 miles on one of meno sessions. i think stamina is not my main issue if i put in the miles obviously but speed is definately poor. still around 24mins for a 5k but have never raced one. so thinking hal inter for cork and keep building milage slowly as i am only running 8 months. then can look at p&d for dcm 13 and reevaluate goals for dublin. was at 85kg before xmas but even with 30 miles per week recently i think i have slipped back closer 90kg. This needs some 20 milers asap! anyone with like minded issues bothering them on a saturday evening and hanging for a few pints feel free to advise!

Ha! I followed HHN2 for my 2nd and took 1:04 off my time!:D Seriously though I know what you mean.

This is where I'm a bit concerned - I reckon HHI2 might be my next step, get my mileage up a bit and then graduate to P&D55 for DCM13 (when the evenings are brighter and I've a better choice of roads for training on).

I'm with you on this. I just don't have the time to follow p&d at the moment. I'm. Hoping that Hal combined with joining the local club will help me achieve my goals for first 6 months.

Maybe, and it's a big maybe, I'll look at p&d 55 for my autumn marathon (going mad I missed out on Berlin. I qualify good for age but was a day late to register as it filled up in hours)

...was a day late to register as it filled up in hours)

Being a day late to register sucks...:(

Being a day late to register sucks...:(

Indeed it does! I'm considering Valencia in November instead with Berlin next year

Maybe, and it's a big maybe, I'll look at p&d 55 for my autumn marathon (going mad I missed out on Berlin. I qualify good for age but was a day late to register as it filled up in hours)

There is no good for age for Berlin which is one of the reasons it filled up so quickly (it's a free for all!!).
    You are probably thinking of GFA for London (sub 3:10)?? Remember to book yourself in for that one in 2014...Process opens sometime after this years marathon (april) and you have about 3 months to get your entry in. All you need is a UK address, means of paying is sterling and proof of your qualifying time.

There is no good for age for Berlin which is one of the reasons it filled up so quickly (it's a free for all!!).
    You are probably thinking of GFA for London (sub 3:10)?? Remember to book yourself in for that one in 2014...Process opens sometime after this years marathon (april) and you have about 3 months to get your entry in. All you need is a UK address, means of paying is sterling and proof of your qualifying time.

Really?! No wonder I missed so :) it was full within hours, I'll email them and suggest GFA for next year

Which would you rather do, London or boston?

Really?! No wonder I missed so :) it was full within hours, I'll email them and suggest GFA for next year

Which would you rather do, London or boston?

I think they keep GFA places aside but only for German residents....

London vs Boston is a tough one. Obviously London would be a lot closer and cheaper.
    The thing about Boston though is that the GFA entry opens for just a few days in September. First it opens for a day for those with a time over 10 minutes better than qualifying, the next day for those with 5 min+ better and then for all with a qualifying time. A few years ago they had so many applications that very few who didn't qualify by over 5 minutes got in. If you hold out Boston registration and miss out then London GFA will already be closed ( I think it's all closed by July).

With London if you have the time and a UK address you are 100% guaranteed.

I'd hold out for Boston only if I had a qualifying time a lot faster than the standard. You can always register for London anyway then defer if you get into Boston (or do both :D)....

I'm doing London this year anyway and hope to do Boston next year.

I think they keep GFA places aside but only for German residents....

London vs Boston is a tough one. Obviously London would be a lot closer and cheaper.
    The thing about Boston though is that the GFA entry opens for just a few days in September. First it opens for a day for those with a time over 10 minutes better than qualifying, the next day for those with 5 min+ better and then for all with a qualifying time. A few years ago they had so many applications that very few who didn't qualify by over 5 minutes got in. If you hold out Boston registration and miss out then London GFA will already be closed ( I think it's all closed by July).

With London if you have the time and a UK address you are 100% guaranteed.

I'd hold out for Boston only if I had a qualifying time a lot faster than the standard. You can always register for London anyway then defer if you get into Boston (or do both :D)....

I'm doing London this year anyway and hope to do Boston next year.

Both?? Im sure the kids will be happy to forgoe their holiday!

I enquired via sports travel re Boston 2013.. 2k for 4 nights including race entry, so thats ruled out. I'd love to do London simply for the athmosphere. Will Def keep an eye on it for 2014, I'll have my sub 3 at that stage after all so maybe Boston will also be an option ;)

• Advertisement

I'll have my sub 3 at that stage after all so maybe Boston will also be an option ;)

How can I get one of those? Sounds so easy?:pac:

Advertisement