Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Deedee2012 wrote: »

That's why I hate short distances, hand on heart I'd rather run a marathon than a 5k

I was the same, until I got more experience in doing races. I puked after the finish line of my last 10km, but the race was so satisfying, and didn't take over my life like a marathon does!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

I was the same, until I got more experience in doing races. I puked after the finish line of my last 10km, but the race was so satisfying, and didn't take over my life like a marathon does!

I think half marathon could be my distance

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

rasher_m wrote: »
    You should be capable of a sub 4 with that 10km time. I got 4.22 and my 10km best was 52 mins and that was totally flat!

Think there was a couple of minutes left in Kildare that day too. Was a HORRIBLE course and on a horribly windy day with the last 2km or so uphill.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

Deedee2012 wrote: »
    That's why I hate short distances, hand on heart I'd rather run a marathon than a 5k

Wouldn't bother getting out of bed for less than 10K!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

snowman224 wrote: »

Think there was a couple of minutes left in Kildare that day too. Was a HORRIBLE course and on a horribly windy day with the last 2km or so uphill.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

I done the 10km that day to, it was a horrible day for running, went out 3 weeks later and ran 4 and a half mins quicker than my Kildare time. So you defo have a faster time in you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

tang1 wrote: »
    I done the 10km that day to, it was a horrible day for running, went out 3 weeks later and ran 4 and a half mins quicker than my Kildare time. So you defo have a faster time in you.

I was half a stone lighter then though :o

Unbelievably put on weight while training for a marathon. I beat science!!

Was looking at the run in the dark, Dublin there. 10km next wednesday.
    Closing date for entry is this wed.

Might be a good opportunity to give my PB a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aoifo

Heres my contribution once i get the all clear with my foot tomor:) fingers crossed
    What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)

My plan is to do a couple of shorter distance races over the next 3 months, maybe 10k and Half Marathon in the spring

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over) might take up a yoga class for strenthening core muscles

Will follow HH recover plan( once i get the clear on my foot, )

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running?
    10k-45mins
    half marathon under 2hrs- did one in may in 2hrs 10mins

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Ok finally getting around to add my two cents to this thread.You boys & girls were fast off the mark in fairness to you.Like someone else earlier I didnt make McGrattens either so it would be nice to put faces to the names, plus what really pisses me off is that I must have been running in some of youre shoes for a long way without knowing it & who knows a bit of a chat might have passed the miles a bit easier all round.

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)
    Just to keep up the training & see what happens, it was always in the back of my mind to do a marathon but I never thought that I'd get to that level & I know youve heard it a thousand times before but if I can do it anyone can.I also never thought that I'd enjoy or manage to fit in the training either or in fact miss it as much now that I've done nothing over the past week - except eat rubbish!!! I dont know what I'll do to be honest,I told myself never again 1,000 times over the last 4 miles but I feel that theres a small bit of unfinished business all the same.Did I enjoy Dublin, yeah had a ball for 21 odd miles but the last 5 will live with me forever:eek:Am I wiser & would I do things differently to avoid the meltdown & make me enjoy the whole experience again, most definately but the jury is still out as to whether I'll have another go or not.The strange thing is that I cant wait to get out for a few miles but I picked up a foot injury which only flared up on tuesday. I thought that it would settle down a bit more than what it has so I went off to A&E this morning for an xray which came back fine. They said it probably only a tissue injury which should clear up with a bit of rest & physio.I have been bathing it in epsom salts & putting on some difflam cream but as long as I know theres nothing broken I'm more at ease with it -the timeframe didnt really bother me up until this week but I feel that unless I start doing something again I'll end up watching the champions league & the rugby over the winter, which is not what I want to do.

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)
    Definately core strengthening training a few times a week on top of the usual miles.If I had the chance to do one thing again before last Monday it would be to strengthen my hamstrings,quads, hips - that general area was where the real pressure came on.

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)

I would like to do a sub 4 hr marathon & I think thats what will keep me running to that level.I know what to do now (kind of anyway) its whether I have the drive to do it or not is the question.I suppose the target first was to get under an hour for 10k, then under 2 hrs for the half & 4 for the full, the only one of those that I havent done is the latter & the others are being done comfortably at this stage.I'd also like to be about a stone lighter than where I am at the moment which I think would make a massive overall difference - its not that easy to lose weight when youre starved after a 20k run though:eek:

Hey, aoifo how's your foot since Dublin, you seemed to pick up the same injury as me???? I was fine on Monday & then on Tuesday out of nowhere I cant walk on it without pain. Its just below the ankle area on the outside of my foot but as I said above after the trip to xray its just a soft tissue injury which can be sorted fairly quickly.

I look forward to posting a bit more here than what I did on on the novices thread (only found it in Sept) & well done with all the efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 saligator

anybody opt for the iTab for their medal and know when/how we get it? haven't heard anything about it since the marathon, friend of mine said she never got hers last year and had to chase them up months later when she finally remembered it......ok i admit it...i iwant to show off my time and medal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

saligator wrote: »
    anybody opt for the iTab for their medal and know when/how we get it? haven't heard anything about it since the marathon, friend of mine said she never got hers last year and had to chase them up months later when she finally remembered it......ok i admit it...i iwant to show off my time and medal :p

I had to chase them too last year but I got it in the end.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Anyone up for a run in the park this weekend?
    If so then I'll stick it in the running thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

1st run since dcm today. Good to be back.

Going to drop up to Donadea AC next week. Been talking to Ultraman.

To Paris or not to Paris is the question

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

Just back from a game of football tonight for the first time in nearly a year (since before I started running). I couldn't believe the difference in fitness and general speed. The biggest thing I noticed was that I seem to have moved away from being a heel striker.

Would this change my gait? does this mean I need to look at getting a different type of runner, my current pair are Brooks Ravenna (a support runner)? Also is it worth getting a pair of racing flats?

On a separate note I'm getting used to using my HRM while running and using it to gauge my effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

aoifo wrote: »
    Heres my contribution once i get the all clear with my foot tomor:) fingers crossed

My plan is to do a couple of shorter distance races over the next 3 months, maybe 10k and Half Marathon in the spring

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over) might take up a yoga class for strenthening core muscles

Will follow HH recover plan( once i get the clear on my foot, )

10k-45mins
    half marathon under 2hrs- did one in may in 2hrs 10mins

didn't get the all clear on my foot today - tendons. Physio told me to wait another few weeks so I can only cycle/swim. Hope you get on better!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bren69

Got out for my first run since DCM today so thought it was time to add myself to this thread. Thanks to blockic, meno and PM.

What are your next goals?
    Get to 1000 miles for the year (currently 891)
    Connemara half in April

What type of training do you intend to do over the winter?
    Going to keep running 4 times a week but try to add a bit of variety.
    Also plan to get out on the bike a couple of times a week. Might try a couple of duathlons next year.

5k - sub 22 (never raced)
    10k - sub 45 (47:44 July 2012)
    HM - sub 1:42 (1:47 Sept 2012)
    Marathon - sub 3:45 (3:58:31 DCM 2012)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Trampas wrote: »
    To Paris or not to Paris is the question

Snap with this one Trampas. I know we've been told we should leave it until May/ June but I can't get Paris or Rotterdam out of my head. Paris suits better work wise and has the atmosphere scenery etc? But the non-congested fast course in Rotterdam is appealing too. Ah what to do? :confused: The different race reviews have me very confused! Anybody know if either of these sell out fast?

Anyone else feel like they've so much free time from lack of training? Hence why I'm doing nothing but looking up races :confused: I'm feeling very lazy and sluggish. Can't justify my over-eating either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

DOCO12 wrote: »

Snap with this one Trampas. I know we've been told we should leave it until May/ June but I can't get Paris or Rotterdam out of my head. Paris suits better work wise and has the atmosphere scenery etc? But the non-congested fast course in Rotterdam is appealing too. Ah what to do? :confused: The different race reviews have me very confused! Anybody know if either of these sell out fast?

I advised against a March marathon, April is better ;).

As far as I know, Rotterdam does not sell out. I heard that up until a few years ago you could even buy an entry on the morning of the race. Not sure if you can do that any more...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Bit disappointed with my first run since DCM tonight...not one person cheered or clapped for me. :)

I'm somewhat interested in Rotterdam too, flights from Dublin (to Amsterdam) looked very reasonable when I checked them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Hi everybody,
    I hope ye don't mind a late gatecrasher joining the party.:D
    A little background to my running,started last year doing my first 5k at the start of the summer.Had thought about doing the Dublin Marathon last year but took RayCun's advice on the novice thread & instead worked on building a base through last year & start of this year.Unfortunately the lure of a marathon couln't wait until October so did the inaugural Waterford Marathon.
    Ended up doing Dublin in 3:43:52:)
    Some weeks I can only run 3 or 4 days a week but there are other weeks when I might get out for 6 or 7 days so I run when I can & use the days where I can't as rest days.

Over the next few months,Waterford Half Marathon,John Treacy 10 in Dungarvan & maybe Ballycotton 10(If I can get an entry & see what all the fuss is about),Maybe a few shorter races leading up to the Summer,hopefully leading up to either Cork or Waterford Marathon & fingers crossed Dublin City Marathon again.

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)

Over the winter hope to be able to hit the local athletics club winter league on as many Wednesday nights as possible & use it for speed work.
    Also add a bit more structure to my running.

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)

Like most people would love to knock some time off my PB's but would really like to knock a good chunk off my marathon time which hopefully in turn would have a domino effect on the rest of the PB's:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Found out today that I can't do waterford marathon next year. Had hoped it would be one of the 2 I had planned to do. Not too happy about it, but thems the breaks...away that weekend.

So Cork is the next marathon goal...3rd june 2013....signed up and accommodation sorted. Let the games begin! (again:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

upthe19th wrote: »
    Found out today that I can't do waterford marathon next year. Had hoped it would be one of the 2 I had planned to do. Not too happy about it, but thems the breaks...away that weekend.

So Cork is the next marathon goal...3rd june 2013....signed up and accommodation sorted. Let the games begin! (again:))
    Woohoo! Welcome to the Cork group! I haven't signed up yet, i'm always a bit nervous that something will happen and I won't be able to run, but it is definitely my next big goal. You will love it, I ran the relay in it this year and there is a great atmosphere, similar to Dublin in a lot of ways and the finish in Patrick St is great.

We must start picking a pub for the post race Boardsie Boozeup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

ncmc wrote: »
    Woohoo! Welcome to the Cork group! I haven't signed up yet, i'm always a bit nervous that something will happen and I won't be able to run, but it is definitely my next big goal. You will love it, I ran the relay in it this year and there is a great atmosphere, similar to Dublin in a lot of ways and the finish in Patrick St is great.

I'm defo on board for Cork too... think I'll book it this week to have it in stone. Any recommendations on good price & handy accomodation?

Meno will announce this closer to the time :D

Cork is a great race I've run it the last two years and what it lacks in volume of runners it makes up for in spirit.

The River Lee hotel is gorgeous and pretty close to the start line, the Lancaster Lodge is beside it, a touch more cost effective but very comfortable. Both are located ideally for coming through the finish and going straight to your hotel, the last thing you want is to be fighting through crowds to get to a shower.;)

I'm defo on board for Cork too... think I'll book it this week to have it in stone. Any recommendations on good price & handy accomodation?
    Some good deals on Booking.com at the moment, The Clarion, Gresham, Maldron, Hotel Isaac all around the €79-110 mark. I live near the city so have never stayed in any of them, but location wise, they would all be pretty good.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Meno will announce this closer to the time :D

Cork is a great race I've run it the last two years and what it lacks in volume of runners it makes up for in spirit.

The River Lee hotel is gorgeous and pretty close to the start line, the Lancaster Lodge is beside it, a touch more cost effective but very comfortable. Both are located ideally for coming through the finish and going straight to your hotel, the last thing you want is to be fighting through crowds to get to a shower.;)
    *Awaits all Meno's posts with baited breath....*

How did you find the relay changeover points when you were running Mr Slow? I only ran through one changeover and it did add a bit of congestion. I would imagine it could be a bit of a pain for those running the whole thing. Plus having all these people sprinting past fresh as a daisy cos they're only running 5 miles! Must be a bit of a psychological bummer!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

6miles done - training plan says 11m per mile which I think would be close to walking so I managed to slow it to 10.10per mile. It felt really really slow like a first time out at 20stone kind of slow but I'm going to trust the plan as much as possible.

However, I'll enjoy the next few months if it stays like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

I'm stayin with friends, so I can't help you there. But I'd say cork is good for places to stay....the earlier it can be booked might give a better chance of better prices...but it is a bank holiday as well

*Awaits all Meno's posts with baited breath....*

How did you find the relay changeover points when you were running Mr Slow? I only ran through one changeover and it did add a bit of congestion. I would imagine it could be a bit of a pain for those running the whole thing. Plus having all these people sprinting past fresh as a daisy cos they're only running 5 miles! Must be a bit of a psychological bummer!

As you approach each changeover there are several stewards directing full runners left and relay runners to the right or vice versa so there's no interruption, what you do get is a wall of relay runners cheering as the full distance runners come through and that gives you a great lift.

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    As you approach each changeover there are several stewards directing full runners left and relay runners to the right or vice versa so there's no interruption, what you do get is a wall of relay runners cheering as the full distance runners come through and that gives you a great lift.
    That's a great way of looking at it actually, I have heard some runners giving out about being overtaken by the relay and half runners, but like you, my attitude would be more runners = better atmosphere, so it's all good!

Advertisement