Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

blockic wrote: »

How can I get one of those? Sounds so easy?:pac:

Some fella called meno is giving them out for free on tinternet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Gavlor wrote: »
    Some fella called meno is giving them out for free on tinternet

Haha, very funny.
    Ref Boston, I know both Claralara and Digger got into Boston this year on GFA (digger qualified cause he is so old ;)) but with the price of flights, hotels etc they have ended up going with sportstravel anyway. Basically Boston is going to be expensive no matter what way you travel...

I am sorted for London this year for about €400 (3 nights, return flights and a £20 sterling entry).

menoscemo wrote: »

Haha, very funny.
    Ref Boston, I know both Claralara and Digger got into Boston this year on GFA (digger qualified cause he is so old ;)) but with the price of flights, hotels etc they have ended up going with sportstravel anyway. Basically Boston is going to be expensive no matter what way you travel...

I am sorted for London this year for about €400 (3 nights, return flights and a £20 sterling entry).

Thanks for that meno, it's good to know. I've requested details for berlin aswell so I might make it there yet. You worked a Great deal with London, it'll be worth every penny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

You worked a Great deal with London, it'll be worth every penny

Yeah, hopefully Brian runs a great race! ;)

Yeah, hopefully Brian runs a great race! ;)

It's his best chance of ever getting a sub-3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

BTW just been looking at Peter Mooney's Flickr photostream from the New Year's Day 5k - saw a couple of Boards AC shirts and a couple of familiar faces in there (Meno & CM included...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    BTW just been looking at Peter Mooney's Flickr photostream from the New Year's Day 5k - saw a couple of Boards AC shirts and a couple of familiar faces in there (Meno & CM included...).

Speaking of photos, theres a very clear one of both Walkedit and Colshed on the Malahide parkrun website from last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I did the parkrun again yesterday, managed a 20'32 which I was very pleased with. Sub 20 seems within reach in the next few months.

Also demonstrated how not to make a break by trying to burn the group I was running beside with about 400 meters to go...only to fade after about 150 meters and have all but one of them I think overtake me again. :)

I'll leave the parkrun now for a few weeks as my right leg is sore today from over doing it a bit, meaning that I can't do my long run.

I was reading yesterday's debate about which training programme to go with. I think Ill stick with p&d. The mid week medium long runs are up to 15 miles which will be tough in the dark but hopefully I'll roll them into running home from work so I can avoid doing them late at night.

Just back from the Co Wexford Masters Cross Country, my first ever cross country race. 4x1.5k laps of a hilly, windy and mushy course - targets setting out were not to be last, not to be last in the team, not to get lapped and to try lap somebody else if possible. Didn't break any records (except that it was the fastest I've run in any race ever) but finished strongly and ticked all the boxes - even had a good battle with a guy in the last 500m but couldn't quite catch him. Enjoyed the experience and even found it kinda liberating to be soaked and covered in mud and not care about it! Will post the Garmin data later when I download it.

Here we go: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/258833102

As you will see from my HR, I might have been lagging somewhere near the back but I was working pretty hard! Happy with that. Knackered now though!:D

• Advertisement

I was just having a look at the Goal Races on the Spreadhseet and I see there are a fair few folks doing either the Bohermeen half or the Ballycotton 10 mile race on the 3rd of March, so as to my previous question about where to go after the end of this month I think I can keep posting a generic plan for either of those two races (the distances are so close that the session will be pretty much the same anyway). While I don't mind in the slightest putting out a Marathon plan, the problem is that there are so many different marathons you are all doing on different dates (Paris, Rotterdam, Limerick, Cork) that it would be impossible to keep track and get everyone in peak condition for such a wide variety of dates.
    Anyone targeting a marathon who is unsure about which plan to follow should feel free to keep following this plan for now as the mileage is already up to the mid 30's per week, so you are building a large enough base of miles doing this just as you would be doing by following the early weeks of a marathon program.

I think down the line a Program for DCM will be on the cards as so many of you will be targeting that.

Anyways the plan this week is:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |5/6 mile easy|rest/cross|session*|3/4 miles recovery|5/6m easy |rest/cross|LSR (10-15 miles)

Session:
    Same session for almost everyone this week: It's a 10 mile session consisting of 1 mile easy- 2 miles MP- 2 miles HMP- 2 miles MP- 2 miles HMP- 1 mile easy (all continuous)
    That should be a little easier than previous session but it is still good for working on speed endurance. After the first 2 miles at HMP it should feel noticeably easy to run at MP for 2 miles.

For those thinking of a spring marathon I think it would be a good idea to use this week to build the miles a little. If you follow the upper end of the mileage on the runs listed above you'll be hitting 40 miles for the week.

Next week will be the final session targeting the races on the weekend of 26th/27th January, However I remember there were one or two people thinking of doing the great Heath 10k next weekend and have probably been doing the 10k sessions (I see on the sheet willie42 is down for this). Those folks should do the final 10k session this week in that case which is:

10kers
    1 mile easy + 3 x 2 miles @ race pace (with 4/5 minute jog recoveries) followed by 1 mile cool down.

Best of Luck everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

I was just having a look at the Goal Races on the Spreadhseet and I see there are a fair few folks doing either the Bohermeen half or the Ballycotton 10 mile race on the 3rd of March, so as to my previous question about where to go after the end of this month I think I can keep posting a generic plan for either of those two races (the distances are so close that the session will be pretty much the same anyway). While I don't mind in the slightest putting out a Marathon plan, the problem is that there are so many different marathons you are all doing on different dates (Paris, Rotterdam, Limerick, Cork) that it would be impossible to keep track and get everyone in peak condition for such a wide variety of dates.
    Anyone targeting a marathon who is unsure about which plan to follow should feel free to keep following this plan for now as the mileage is already up to the mid 30's per week, so you are building a large enough base of miles doing this just as you would be doing by following the early weeks of a marathon program.

I think down the line a Program for DCM will be on the cards as so many of you will be targeting that.

Anyways the plan this week is:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |5/6 mile easy|rest/cross|session*|3/4 miles recovery|5/6m easy |rest/cross|LSR (10-15 miles)

Session:
    Same session for almost everyone this week: It's a 10 mile session consisting of 1 mile easy- 2 miles MP- 2 miles HMP- 2 miles MP- 2 miles HMP- 1 mile easy (all continuous)
    That should be a little easier than previous session but it is still good for working on speed endurance. After the first 2 miles at HMP it should feel noticeably easy to run at MP for 2 miles.

For those thinking of a spring marathon I think it would be a good idea to use this week to build the miles a little. If you follow the upper end of the mileage on the runs listed above you'll be hitting 40 miles for the week.

Next week will be the final session targeting the races on the weekend of 26th/27th January, However I remember there were one or two people thinking of doing the great Heath 10k next weekend and have probably been doing the 10k sessions (I see on the sheet willie42 is down for this). Those folks should do the final 10k session this week in that case which is:

10kers
    1 mile easy + 3 x 2 miles @ race pace (with 4/5 minute jog recoveries) followed by 1 mile cool down.

Best of Luck everyone!!
    Hi I'm a new joiner, not sure if I filled in my details where I should have n should my name ( new runner) be in red? Wasn't sure whether to fill in my totals or is that automatically done? Sorry for my ignorance. Love this thread n I did DCM 12 also n found this site invaluable . Have registered to do derry marathon in June n maybe DCM again, loved it 1st time around. Thanks

New runner wrote: »
    Hi I'm a new joiner, not sure if I filled in my details where I should have n should my name ( new runner) be in red? Wasn't sure whether to fill in my totals or is that automatically done? Sorry for my ignorance. Love this thread n I did DCM 12 also n found this site invaluable . Have registered to do derry marathon in June n maybe DCM again, loved it 1st time around. Thanks

Welcome New runner. I just checked and you are on the sheet so carry on!! Nothing else you need to do to join this club except of course to send me payment. Please PM me your CC details, I accept Visa, Mastercard and Pay pal.

Only joking :pac:

Welcome New runner. I just checked and you are on the sheet so carry on!! Nothing else you need to do to join this club except of course to send me payment. Please PM me your CC details, I accept Visa, Mastercard and Pay pal.

Only joking :pac:
    Big fat check on its way to u ! Lol! 😉

Session:

:eek: ..Delighted I dont have to do that one!:D

Alternative payment method also available in pints!

Aw sure would b all spilled by time I've ran from Donegal to Dublin lol!!!😜

The handle 'New runner' is soooo 2012!!

The handle 'New runner' is soooo 2012!!

No sign of newby runner since.. :(

You probably have to do 6 miles straight @ 10 mile pace as part of your P&D plan :D

Talking of which, we should organise a venue for that payment :pac:

Seriously though, Cork Marathon is a popular venue for Boards.ie Pissups. I see a few folks will be running the marathon and probably a few more will be doing the Half, other of the boards regulars will be doing the pacing... but how about this thread getting a team or two together for the relay?
    I have done that 2 out of 3 of the last years (last year we finished 9th in 2:45 :D) and it is great craic and a good chance to meet up after the race for refreshments.

It just really needs someone to take the bull by the horns in terms of organisation, it is best to book a team early to get a better price, you don't have to submit a final list of runners or anything. It's teams of 5 max and the legs are between 4.5 and 6 miles, you don't nescessarily have to have 5 members as someone can run 2 or even 3 legs. What do ye all think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

You probably have to do 6 miles straight @ 10 mile pace as part of your P&D plan :D
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQu-l38U-sIBjrS0_r2hJ0uH5PIDnDiHO4Hb_B6aAgO0kjEfd5Z

It's teams of 5 max and the legs are between 4.5 and 6 miles, you don't nescessarily have to have 5 members as someone can run 2 or even 3 legs. What do ye all think?
    Sounds cool. I'd be up for it as long as I didn't have to do any organising ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

^^^ I did the relay last year with some work mates and it was great craic. It really adds to the atmosphere of the Cork marathon IMO. It made work a more fun place for a few weeks as it was all we could talk about. Two of the lads did next to no training and one of them went on a total bender on a stag for the previous three days! But we all managed to do our part and finish in a respectable-ish time!

I'd really recommend the relay for people who don't feel up to the whole marathon.

I would definitely be on for drinks afterwards, I'd imagine they taste extra nice after running in the June heat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Seriously though, Cork Marathon is a popular venue for Boards.ie Pissups. I see a few folks will be running the marathon and probably a few more will be doing the Half, other of the boards regulars will be doing the pacing... but how about this thread getting a team or two together for the relay?
    I have done that 2 out of 3 of the last years (last year we finished 9th in 2:45 :D) and it is great craic and a good chance to meet up after the race for refreshments.

It just really needs someone to take the bull by the horns in terms of organisation, it is best to book a team early to get a better price, you don't have to submit a final list of runners or anything. It's teams of 5 max and the legs are between 4.5 and 6 miles, you don't nescessarily have to have 5 members as someone can run 2 or even 3 legs. What do ye all think?

Did someone mention pi$$ Up??
    While I'm not Marathon training, I'd be interested in doing the HM in June if it involved upping my iron intake?

Touché!:)

Speaking of which, I have a question for you meno(in bold in case you miss it :D)

When you ran your second marathon with P&D and you had like a 90min PB ;):D ...was your PMP at the start of the plan totally different to the one you had towards the end of the plan? Did you reduce it as you realised the improvement in times or did you have that PB target from the outset? How did that all work for you. Much obliged! :)

Seriously though, Cork Marathon is a popular venue for Boards.ie Pissups.
    It just really needs someone to take the bull by the horns in terms of organisation

I would love to but won't be around. :( Hometown and all! Great spot for a few bevies alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Pints, Cork, June bank holiday, the thirst of 26.2 miles......where do i sign?

Touché!:)

Speaking of which, I have a question for you meno(in bold in case you miss it :D)

When you ran your second marathon with P&D and you had like a 90min PB ;):D ...was your PMP at the start of the plan totally different to the one you had towards the end of the plan? Did you reduce it as you realised the improvement in times or did you have that PB target from the outset? How did that all work for you. Much obliged! :)

I ran a 1:37 half on the first week of the plan, so I pretty much was going for 3:30 from the start. I felt it was a stretch target at first but got more confident as the training progressed. I know a fair few others though that started with a conservative target and changed the target as the training progressed. It's never a bad idea to aim to do your PMP miles 5-10 seconds/mile faster than your target (if you can).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ha no it shouldn't - you managed to overwrite the New Joiner header which is why the totals weren't calculating. I will make it a bit clearer for next weeks new joiners.

Welcome on board. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I ran a 1:37 half on the first week of the plan, so I pretty much was going for 3:30 from the start. I felt it was a stretch target at first but got more confident as the training progressed. I know a fair few others though that started with a conservative target and changed the target as the training progressed. It's never a bad idea to aim to do your PMP miles 5-10 seconds/mile faster than your target (if you can).
    I've been wondering about this as well. I have a target of between 3:30 and 3:45 for Cork, 3:30 is probably very optimistic at the moment, but obviously I'll have a better idea as training progresses, but as it stands, I'm not sure what pace I should be doing my interval runs at. My next race isn't til Ballycotton in March, so I'll know more after that, but that's two months away.

ncmc wrote: »
    I've been wondering about this as well. I have a target of between 3:30 and 3:45 for Cork, 3:30 is probably very optimistic at the moment, but obviously I'll have a better idea as training progresses, but as it stands, I'm not sure what pace I should be doing my interval runs at. My next race isn't til Ballycotton in March, so I'll know more after that, but that's two months away.

Have you ran any races since DCM?
    If not, it would be no harm getting in a little 5k (or similar) and use mcMillan to get your target paces.
    For intervals though, it is best to run as fast as you can while not slowing between the first and last.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi guys

I've just finished updating the sheet for Week 2. I transferred over the final totals from the 2012 sheet as requested but please double check that the total for your 2012 distance matches up as some of it was done via copy and paste. I've checked a few random ones but not all !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Defo on board for the cork session after! Had a similar question for meno. Target is sub 4 but really I'm living the idea of 3:30 or 3:40 goal... But if I push it I'm afraid ill injure myself as usual. But we will see how p&d goes and decide a few weeks in. McMillan shows 3;40 might be possible on my recent 10k 47:18 time so that's encouraging.

Advertisement