Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Defo on board for the cork session after! Had a similar question for meno. Target is sub 4 but really I'm living the idea of 3:30 or 3:40 goal... But if I push it I'm afraid ill injure myself as usual. But we will see how p&d goes and decide a few weeks in. McMillan shows 3;40 might be possible on my recent 10k 47:18 time so that's encouraging.

For a Marathon Mcmillan still might be a bit optimistic until you get a few years running and a good few thousand miles behind you (in my experience). You'll know better as your training progresses though.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

06/01/2013 : 10.1miles @8:27min/mile. AveHR165 MaxHR 184

Was up nice and early this morning to get my run in as the sun came up. This run incorporated Meno's session he'd given the 2012 Novices (1 x 2mile @ goal pace, 3 x 1 mile @ goal pace) with Raheny 5 mile in mind. Based on my recent 5k time my goal pace should be somewhere around 7.13 min/mile (~36min). Just after the 2 mile interval I realised I probably should not have gone out before breakfast for such a demanding run.

But anyway the splits:

1 x 2 mile: 7:14, 7:14
    3 x 1 mile: 7:20, 7:24, 7:25.

The 1 mile intervals where a little slower than I would have like but since I was in serious need of refueling I'm quite happy with it.

I've found I'm quite enjoying the sessions we've been doing latey, they've been tough but I'm looking forward to them.

As for whats next after Raheny? I plan on signing up for the K-Club 10k as my 10k goal race. I've ordered P&D's "Road Racing for Serious Runners" so I'll probably take whatever plan I find suits me best from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

menoscemo wrote: »
    Have you ran any races since DCM?
    If not, it would be no harm getting in a little 5k (or similar) and use mcMillan to get your target paces.
    For intervals though, it is best to run as fast as you can while not slowing between the first and last.

No, haven't raced at all since DCM. I'm not sure about doing a 5k, I've never raced that distance before so not sure how to approach it. I was toying with the idea of fitting in a 10k before Ballycotton though, so might see if there's a suitable one near me in February.

I think for the moment I'll do my sessions at somewhere between the 3:45 and 3:30 pace and see how I get on.

This marathon training is complicated stuff!

ncmc wrote: »
    No, haven't raced at all since DCM. I'm not sure about doing a 5k, I've never raced that distance before so not sure how to approach it. I was toying with the idea of fitting in a 10k before Ballycotton though, so might see if there's a suitable one near me in February.

I think for the moment I'll do my sessions at somewhere between the 3:45 and 3:30 pace and see how I get on.

This marathon training is complicated stuff!

Good stuff!! A 10k/10mile/HM are all fine, just to get a gauge of your fitness levels, I suggested a 5k as that tends to be the easiest to recover from.

If By intervals, you meant MP sections, I would try to do those at or close to your goal pace and see how they feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Catching up on things....

I'm going to follow P&D for DCM13 - longer evenings more conducive to long mid weeks.

This week was the first in ages I got 4 runs in so I'm delighted, some serious motivation required for today & got 11 out of a planned 16 done. Late night & kids mini rugby at 9am didn't help!

On a separate point, has anyone heard about a ParkRun starting in Marlay Pk? Someone mentioned it last night but had no details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

menoscemo wrote: »

For a Marathon Mcmillan still might be a bit optimistic until you get a few years running and a good few thousand miles behind you (in my experience). You'll know better as your training progresses though.

Yea I thought you'd say that, wasn't sure at what stage it becomes reliable. That's good to know thanks. I was only thinking today 'at what stage can I expect my best performance/times?'.. So that kind of answers that question too. 😀

Anyone else getting an ear bashing for being on this too much? iPhones love/hate relationship goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Can someone who has a copy of the P&D book please post an example of a typical week towards the middle / end of the plan? Because of work & young kids I would struggle to fit in more than 1 midweek run that is greater than 5/6 miles so not sure if it's even worth me buying the book if there is no way I would be able to follow the program!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Weetabix wrote: »
    Can someone who has a copy of the P&D book please post an example of a typical week towards the middle / end of the plan? Because of work & young kids I would struggle to fit in more than 1 midweek run that is greater than 5/6 miles so not sure if it's even worth me buying the book if there is no way I would be able to follow the program!

Don't have an exact week as I don't have the book with me but you would be looking at something like.

Mon|Tues|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    Rest/Cross|10m easy|6m recover|12m MLR|Rest/Cross|10k race|16m LSR

Can’t do a fancy table like Blockic I’m afraid :o but here is a sample 4 weeks from the P&D 55 mile plan.

Week 9
    Mon – Rest
    Tues – Recovery 6 miles
    Wed – Medium long run 14 miles
    Thurs – Recovery 6 miles
    Fri – Rest
    Sat – Recovery&speed: 6 miles with 6x100m strides
    Sun – Marathon paced run: 16 miles with 12 @ PMP

Week 10
    Mon – Rest
    Tues – General aerobic 8 miles
    Wed – V02 max: 8 miles with 5x800 @ 5k pace
    Thurs – Recovery 5 miles
    Fri – Rest
    Sat – General aerobic&speed: 8 miles with 8x100m strides
    Sun – MLR 14 miles

Week 11
    Mon – Rest
    Tues – Recovery&speed: 7 miles with 6x100m strides
    Wed – Lactate threshold: 11 miles with 7 @ ½ MP
    Thurs – Rest
    Fri – MLR 12 miles
    Sat – Recovery 5 miles
    Sun – LSR 20 miles

Week 12
    Mon – Rest
    Tues – V02 Max: 8 miles with 5x600m @ 5k pace
    Wed – MLR 12 miles
    Thurs – Rest
    Fri – Recover&speed 5 miles with 6x100m strides
    Sat – 5-10 mile tune up race
    Sun – LSR 17 miles

• Advertisement

Week 11
    Mon – Rest
    Thurs – Rest
    Fri – MLR 12 miles
    Sat – Recovery 5 miles
    Sun – LSR 20 miles

Man that week 11 is a whopper!

Thanks for the examples, would love to try this for DCM 13 but I could see divorce papers being issued!! I'll have to sit down and look at a number of plans over the next couple of months to see what one would work best for me.

blockic wrote: »

Starting Fri Wk 11 through to Wed Wk 12 you do 57 miles with 1 day rest......rather you then me!!

The whole thing is a bit of a horror when you look at it all written down, but I remember thinking that about HH2 this time last year, and by the time I got to that stage, it wasn’t so bad. So I’m hoping the P&D will be the same, but I think I am being a mega optimist here!
    Weetabix wrote: »
    Thanks for the examples, would love to try this for DCM 13 but I could see divorce papers being issued!! I'll have to sit down and look at a number of plans over the next couple of months to see what one would work best for me.
    It is a big time commitment, the major reservation I have with it is that if I’m to follow it for Cork, it starts at the end of the month and that’s a lot of running around in the dark with a head torch trying to keep speed up! I think I’m just going to stop procrastinating and bitching about it and just get on and do it! Still have to read the book though, so need to get on that asap!

Still have to read the book though, so need to get on that asap!

Be sure to read the book (or as most as you can) before you start. Everything makes sense once you read it and every run has a particular reason behind it. Chapter 1 being the main one really.

Be sure to read the book (or as most as you can) before you start. Everything makes sense once you read it and every run has a particular reason behind it. Chapter 1 being the main one really.

+1 on this. I was reading it last night in bed with same urgency.. training for cork starts end of month. but it's a great read. skipped over some parts in later chapters, either it got too scientific or I had a good idea already. I'll be reading it all in depth while I'm training. The runs defo make sense when you get into it. the books seems big but a lot of it is diagrams for exercises & other more advanced plans, so it's not too long a read really. I love the bits about the elite marathon runners profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Can’t do a fancy table like Blockic I’m afraid :o but here is a sample 4 weeks from the P&D 55 mile plan.

Week 9
    Mon – Rest
    Tues – Recovery 6 miles
    Wed – Medium long run 14 miles
    Thurs – Recovery 6 miles
    Fri – Rest
    Sat – Recovery&speed: 6 miles with 6x100m strides
    Sun – Marathon paced run: 16 miles with 12 @ PMP

Week 10
    Mon – Rest
    Tues – General aerobic 8 miles
    Wed – V02 max: 8 miles with 5x800 @ 5k pace
    Thurs – Recovery 5 miles
    Fri – Rest
    Sat – General aerobic&speed: 8 miles with 8x100m strides
    Sun – MLR 14 miles

Week 11
    Mon – Rest
    Thurs – Rest
    Fri – MLR 12 miles
    Sat – Recovery 5 miles
    Sun – LSR 20 miles

Week 12
    Mon – Rest
    Tues – V02 Max: 8 miles with 5x600m @ 5k pace
    Wed – MLR 12 miles
    Thurs – Rest
    Fri – Recover&speed 5 miles with 6x100m strides
    Sat – 5-10 mile tune up race
    Sun – LSR 17 miles

Suffering Je**s,thats making me feel sick even looking at it:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

docrock wrote: »
    Suffering Je**s,thats making me feel sick even looking at it:eek::eek:

Absolutely, I was only a novice last year, I'm not looking to win the race just yet.

Gel Limerick overwith and take it up for DCM13. Thats the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gel Limerick overwith and take it up for DCM13. Thats the plan.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Is the P&D book solely aimed at souped up feckers aiming for the 3:30s etc or would it be of any benefit to someone like me ?

• Advertisement

Is the P&D book solely aimed at souped up feckers aiming for the 3:30s etc or would it be of any benefit to someone like me ?
    Souped up feckers.... I love it!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I'd recommend giving it a read. Its very good for its overall understanding and methodology of training and racing. I'm almost finished it even though I've no intention of running a marathon this year but it has given me a better understanding of training in general.

It's designed for everyone as long as you are able for the mileage.

There are some runs at 5kpace, some at Half marathon pace and some at marathon pace. You run these at your own pace for each distance, not someone elses....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I just spilled my EPO all over the screen!!

would it be of any benefit to someone like me ?

Depends on how you define "someone like me"? :D I'm listening? :)

Nice one for abandoning us too by the way for your new friends in the Couch to 5k thread.

Traitor!! :(;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Do not be put off by all this talk of high mileage in the P&D plan.

As a novice this time last year & reading the P&D book it really looked like a step too far for me.To be honest it nearly put me off trying to do a marathon.

In hindsight I'm now glad that I did follow it as best as I could.As you build up the weeks of mileage you really won't notice it too much:D (wifes,husbands & partners of runners may disagree with me though:p).

For most of us here we will not be able to follow it completely to the mile/km but if you can do the vast majority of it it will really stand to you,only real requirement is that you are currently running comfortably 30 odd miles a week.

For myself the target at present is to keep a LSR most weeks of 13+ miles going until i settle into a plan for 2 reasons.
    Reason 1. So the body won't complain too much when the mileage is upped:)
    Reason 2,So Mrs docjewel won't complain too much when the mileage is upped:D

Depends on how you define "someone like me"? :D I'm listening? :)

Nice one for abandoning us too by the way for your new friends in the Couch to 5k thread.

Traitor!! :(;)

Haha. Well someone like me I would define as not being at the slim and fast end of the spectrum :)

As for the foray into the couch to 5k thread. 2 reasons. One I'm following the program at the moment and two being I'm already thinking ahead to recruitment for the 2013 novices :D

Haha. Well someone like me I would define as not being at the slim and fast end of the spectrum :)

As for the foray into the couch to 5k thread. 2 reasons. One I'm following the program at the moment and two being I'm already thinking ahead to recruitment for the 2013 novices :D

Nicely done on both counts!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

rasher_m wrote: »

Speaking of photos, theres a very clear one of both Walkedit and Colshed on the Malahide parkrun website from last week.

And photo wise Irish Runner yearbook has a big DCM start photo with at least fiifi, deedee shortie chicken and me (just about)

• Advertisement

Walkedit wrote: »
    And photo wise Irish Runner yearbook has a big DCM start photo with at least fiifi, deedee shortie chicken and me (just about)

:D

Advertisement