Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

:D
    Bloody predictive text! Soz shortie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Walkedit wrote: »
    Bloody predictive text! Soz shortie

I thought that was your pet name for shortie_chick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

5 miles done tonight; first mile @ 7.15 mpm; 4 miles @ 6.40 mpm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's designed for everyone as long as you are able for the mileage.

There are some runs at 5kpace, some at Half marathon pace and some at marathon pace. You run these at your own pace for each distance, not someone elses....

I agree with this. I'm following P&D this time around and I'm a definite plodder compared to most of you folk. I run my strides at the same pace some of you run easy :rolleyes: I read the book and it made so much sense I thought I'd give it a go. I reckon if I even do 80% of the training I'll be much better prepared than I was first time around. My goal for my next marathon is to finish strong and not go through 6 miles of hell like last time, so I reckon this is the best plan for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Runchick wrote: »
    I agree with this. I'm following P&D this time around and I'm a definite plodder compared to most of you folk. I run my strides at the same pace some of you run easy :rolleyes: I read the book and it made so much sense I thought I'd give it a go. I reckon if I even do 80% of the training I'll be much better prepared than I was first time around. My goal for my next marathon is to finish strong and not go through 6 miles of hell like last time, so I reckon this is the best plan for me :)

You still living it up in Aus? Hot down there I hear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

:D

Link or pic needed!!!

My goal for my next marathon is to finish strong and not go through 6 miles of hell like last time, so I reckon this is the best plan for me :)

That was me running next to you coz I was in hell as well - never thought I'd want to go back though:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

I am a plodder too :) - I followed P & D last time round, and it made a big difference to my fitness and endurance. It gave a great structure to the training, you knew what purpose every run had, and you can really feel your progression from week to week, as you are constantly building upon what was achieved the previous week. It felt like a daunting plan to begin with, so don't look too many weeks ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

blockic wrote: »

You still living it up in Aus? Hot down there I hear?

Yip 10 more glorious days in the sun:) running in vest and shorts at 7am and still hot out there...not looking forward to dark cold running again:(

I'm not 100% sure if I should be posting this :confused: so mods, feel free to delete the post if required

Anywho, whilst researching the valencia marathon i came accross this peach of a blog, a nice read to get us all in the mood for the challenge ahead!

http://www.runblogs.co.uk/blog/paulwadept/race-report-11-the-valencia-marathon?pid=130

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Gavlor wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure if I should be posting this :confused: so mods, feel free to delete the post if required

Anywho, whilst researching the valencia marathon i came accross this peach of a blog, a nice read to get us all in the mood for the challenge ahead!

http://www.runblogs.co.uk/blog/paulwadept/race-report-11-the-valencia-marathon?pid=130

Sounds like a cool marathon to do.

What made you pick Valencia?

docjewel wrote: »

Sounds like a cool marathon to do.

What made you pick Valencia?

I was looking for a foreign marathon this year having being too late for london and berlin. If I'm running abroad I needed somewhere that mrs gavlor would like to visit and having spoken to a guy that has ran valencia, i suggested we "visit" Valencia in November, she agreed!!
    As it happens there is a 10k taking place the same day so she'll prob do that. A win/win :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was looking for a foreign marathon this year having being too late for london and berlin. If I'm running abroad I needed somewhere that mrs gavlor would like to visit and having spoken to a guy that has ran valencia, i suggested we "visit" Valencia in November, she agreed!!
    As it happens there is a 10k taking place the same day so she'll prob do that. A win/win :)

Belcarra off these boards did Valencia this year, he had a good PB and I think was relatively positive about the race.
    Here's his report:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81917306&postcount=505

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Anyone done cork know if there are any hills to conquer? On the website the description sounds quite flat. I see they used to have a hill toward the end but changed the route now.

Anyone done cork know if there are any hills to conquer? On the website the description sounds quite flat. I see they used to have a hill toward the end but changed the route now.

There are a few little bumps here and there, but nothing major (the two main 'hills' are coming out of the port tunnel around 10 miles then climbing over a motorway bridge around 18). Very flat overall, probably a little easier (course wise) than Dublin but a lot less support on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

menoscemo wrote: »
    There are a few little bumps here and there, but nothing major (the two main 'hills' are coming out of the port tunnel around 10 miles then climbing over a motorway bridge around 18). Very flat overall, probably a little easier (course wise) than Dublin but a lot less support on the course.
    Don’t forget the lovely Carrigrohane Straight, I believe that is the undoing of many a runners psyche!

It’s a seemingly endless straight road where the end never seems to get any closer. It comes late on in the marathon, around mile 23/24 and is quite soul destroying! I saw a lot of people falling out at this stage last year. Just keep it in mind and save some HTFU for that. On the plus side, it’s dead flat though :rolleyes:

ncmc wrote: »
    Don’t forget the lovely Carrigrohane Straight

It's some road alright. Torture to run it id say!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

5 miles done tonight; first mile @ 7.15 mpm; 4 miles @ 6.40 mpm

Jeez, that is beyond sprinting pace for me. If I was on the starship enterprise I wouldn't be going that fast.

Next year maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Brought forward the midweek session again this week & again ran on the last 5 miles on the John Treacy Dungarvan 10 route.
    I have to say I'm really starting to enjoy these midweek sessions,its a lot more structured than anything I really did last year.

Overall result for Meno's session, 10 miles ran in 1:22:47,only 3 minutes otside my PB for a 10 miler & I'm now starting to rethink that my target for this race of 1:17:59 is maybe a little conservative & that I should try & push on a bit for maybe 1:14:59 or so.
    Anyway thats a decision to be made on another day:)

||1 Mile Easy|2 Miles MP|2 Miles HMP|2 Miles MP|2 Miles HMP|1 Mile Easy|
    |Target Pace||8:30|7:54|8:30 |7:54||
    |Actual Pace|8:48|8:14|7:46|8:30 |7:55|9:09|

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

7.25miles done earlier this afternoon due to it getting cold tonight! legs a bit heavy, but an easy 10min pace made things manageable!

Not looking forward to my 8.30 tempo run tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Squeezed 4 miles in this evening before dinner, decided to do the middle 2 miles at hoped 10 mile pace, miles of 6.35, 6.36, these felt quiet comfortable. But it was only two of them so i wont be getting to excited yet.

10 miles of hell tonight, in the cold...while tired..with no mojo...that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

10 miles of hell tonight, in the cold...while tired..with no mojo...that is all.

Character building for tougher times. All good ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You'll remember them when your coasting through the streets of Rotterdam.

Character building for tougher times. All good ! :)
    tang1 wrote: »
    You'll remember them when your coasting through the streets of Rotterdam.

Yeah true, I actually look forward to the sessions much more than say a 10 miler with the same pace throughout.

You can break the sessions into blocks at least, the general aerobic runs are just a pure bore!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Our very own Killian got a name check in tonight's Operation Transformation. Apparently a man who was following Killian's plan has lost 10 stone since last year!

They should have mentioned that Killian has completed a marathon in his time since OT, that would be a real motivation to this years contestants and viewers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just watching on Sky + How great not to just turn your own life around but to inspire others to do so too, in such dramatic style.

Killian - youz are famous,no other mentor shown, defo a camera magnet:D:D

Getting back to serious business,went for 11 miles of a LSR on Sunday -did it in 1,33 so happy enough with that but was a bit stiff yesterday. I went for 10k this evening & being honest I havent felt as comfortable doing a run in a long time - if I had a garmin it would have to have been a PB. It was just one of those nights where I could run at whatever pace I wanted without fear of running out of steam - if only I could bottle it:eek::eek:

I have a question for the more experienced runners on here - I'm looking to increase my speedwork & bring down my half time (currently 1,56) so how exactly do I train for that??Currently I do about 6 x 100 yard 3/4 sprint pace runs during the last 2k of my midweek runs & jog for maybe 30 seconds in between. I think that I need to put more structure into these because imo I'm a bit all over the place.I've read Meno's posts about pyramids , strides etc but I never actually put the wheels in motion to do any of them so can somone advise me of a simple plan of what I should be doing in this area & when I should be doing it? Do I do them on a a separate night to a midweek run or after / during a run?? At the moment I do 2 or 3 midweek runs of 11k each & a LSR at the weekend which at the moment varies between 16k to 20k ie I'm just ticking over - my early year target is a few 10k's & half marathons from March to July leading on to DCM 2013 but I need to improve my half time.

Any advice very much appreciated;);) .

docrock wrote: »
    Killian - youz are famous,no other mentor shown, defo a camera magnet:D:D

Getting back to serious business,went for 11 miles of a LSR on Sunday -did it in 1,33 so happy enough with that but was a bit stiff yesterday. I went for 10k this evening & being honest I havent felt as comfortable doing a run in a long time - if I had a garmin it would have to have been a PB. It was just one of those nights where I could run at whatever pace I wanted without fear of running out of steam - if only I could bottle it:eek::eek:

I have a question for the more experienced runners on here - I'm looking to increase my speedwork & bring down my half time (currently 1,56) so how exactly do I train for that??Currently I do about 6 x 100 yard 3/4 sprint pace runs during the last 2k of my midweek runs & jog for maybe 30 seconds in between. I think that I need to put more structure into these because imo I'm a bit all over the place.I've read Meno's posts about pyramids , strides etc but I never actually put the wheels in motion to do any of them so can somone advise me of a simple plan of what I should be doing in this area & when I should be doing it? Do I do them on a a separate night to a midweek run or after / during a run?? At the moment I do 2 or 3 midweek runs of 11k each & a LSR at the weekend which at the moment varies between 16k to 20k ie I'm just ticking over - my early year target is a few 10k's & half marathons from March to July leading on to DCM 2013 but I need to improve my half time.

Simple answer: Run more = Get faster.

Strides will not make you faster, they are just a way of stretching the legs at the end of an easy run, they are not a speed session and are not meant to be taxing.

If you up the number of times you run per week to 4 and then 5 times a week you will get faster. The whole point of the program I am putting up every week is to gradually get everyone used to running 5 times and 30 miles + per week. Upping the miles and frequency of the runs is the first and foremost way to help you improve (IMO).

• Advertisement

docrock wrote: »

You should incorporate meno's session into your plan, I have found them excellent. Although there may be a bit of a jump from 6 to 10 miles which it is at currently, maybe look back a couple of weeks on the thread and do the session from then and build up to where it is at currently?

Replace one of your current mid week runs if you can't fit them all in.

I think the boss will be putting up half marathon specific sessions once the races on the 27th have passed (hint, hint ;)):D

Advertisement