Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Tell me what these strides are? How to do them? Sprints?

Na, there not all out sprints. I do them at about 5k pace. Just handy way at getting a bit of speed into the legs without doing an all out session. I try do some in a run every couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Winter league again tonight, last weeks 28 mins had me in one of the last handicap times. Man they are fast f#ckers! The pace was unreal, I actually thought I was going to have a heart attack half way thru but I just about managed to hang on the coat tails and finish in 27.42 for 5 miles. Looking back avg heart rate was 161 which is a fair jump from the 149 from last weekends 7min mile lsr

Gavlor wrote: »
    Winter league again tonight, last weeks 28 mins had me in one of the last handicap times. Man they are fast f#ckers! The pace was unreal, I actually thought I was going to have a heart attack half way thru but I just about managed to hang on the coat tails and finish in 27.42 for 5 miles. Looking back avg heart rate was 161 which is a fair jump from the 149 from last weekends 7min mile lsr

Thats other world running Gavlor, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

tang1 wrote: »
    Thats other world running Gavlor, well done.

+1 That is unreal stuff.

You'll be running on your own in Dungarvan anyway with sub 60 in the bank, you will have a pint gone before I arrive at the finish!

Cheers lads, But I dunno about keeping that pace up for 10 miles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Amazing time, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Finished 'advanced marathoning' last night, I've a good understanding of it all now, have to re read chapter 1 again. My schedule will mean putting the runs in different order so I just hope it doesn't mess things up. Excited about starting and monitoring my hr for first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Excited about starting and monitoring my hr for first time.

As I just got a hr monitor recently I did my first mile the other night based on staying at/below my Max Aerobic Heart Rate (of 143) it felt very slow at first, and while I did speed up a little while maintaining the heart rate it stayed much slower than my usual 'slow' pace. I'll be interested to try and do some long runs on the basis of the heart rate monitor.

There's some interesting information about max aerobic hr at these links which a fast running buddy of mine sent on to me:

http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2

http://philmaffetone.com/180formula.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Finished 'advanced marathoning' last night, I've a good understanding of it all now, have to re read chapter 1 again. My schedule will mean putting the runs in different order so I just hope it doesn't mess things up. Excited about starting and monitoring my hr for first time.
    I’m finding Advanced Marathoning really good Stephen, I’m about half way through, but will probably re-read it when I’m done. I may even take notes if that’s not too sad!

I really regret buying a GPS watch that’s not HRM compatible. I didn’t think I’d need one when I bought the watch this time last year, but would find it very helpful now. Can’t really justify the expense of getting a new watch as my current one is still perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

tang1 wrote: »
    8.2miles this afternoon including 10x150m strides. Man was it brrrrrrrr in Co Meath, first time ever running in leggings. Kind of felt bit strange without the red stilettos!!!

Had the same commentary in my log. Leggins is just all kinds of wrong.....apart from one kind which is keeping me warm

• Advertisement

guinang wrote: »

Had the same commentary in my log. Leggins is just all kinds of wrong.....apart from one kind which is keeping me warm

Yeah there bordering on an invasion of privacy alright!!

Excuse the profanities but holy f*#k :eek: What are you doing on this thread??? Skilled and/or seasoned pros log is that way ===>

You too Blockic

Excuse the profanities but holy f*#k :eek: What are you doing on this thread??? Skilled and/or seasoned pros log is that way ===>

You too Blockic

I'm newish to this running malarkey just like everyone else!

I find that comment discriminatory and your post has been reported ;)

Newish to running and you're holding close to 5.30 min/miles!!! Really really impressive. Natural talent in abundance fella.

Newish to running and you're holding close to 5.30 min/miles!!! Really really impressive. Natural talent in abundance fella.

It's more pig ignorance and stupid close eyes and hope for the best mentality!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ncmc wrote: »

I really regret buying a GPS watch that’s not HRM compatible. I didn’t think I’d need one when I bought the watch this time last year, but would find it very helpful now. Can’t really justify the expense of getting a new watch as my current one is still perfect.

Is yours the 205 or 210?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

You too Blockic

Don't think we can kick Blocky off the thread... it was him who started it after all!

Does no harm to have a few quicks about either for us mortals to aspire to ( and for the marathon relay teams if they ever happen!! )

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Don't think we can kick Blocky off the thread... it was him who started it after all!

Does no harm to have a few quicks about either for us mortals to aspire to ( and for the marathon relay teams if they ever happen!! )

Loud & clear Dazza. You've put some thought and consideration in to pleading the case for blockic which effectively means you would like to remove Gavlor from these discussions. Personally I was giving him the benefit of the doubt after the 'newish' quote, but loud & clear fella ;)

Loud & clear Dazza. You've put some thought and consideration in to pleading the case for blockic which effectively means you would like to remove Gavlor from these discussions. Personally I was giving him the benefit of the doubt after the 'newish' quote, but loud & clear fella ;)

He said fasts, he hardly was referring to blockic??! Mmmwahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Is yours the 205 or 210?
    Mine is the 205. The annoying thing is that at the time on Amazon, it wouldn’t have cost that much more to get one that was HRM compatible. But at the time, I didn’t think I’d ever need it. Now I’m a super duper runner :pac: a HRM would be so useful :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

dazza21ie wrote: »

He said fasts, he hardly was hardy referring to blockic??! Mmmwahahaha

hey hey hey, what's going on here?

I go away for a few minutes and anarchy ensues! :eek::pac:

Can't take ye anywhere! :P

ncmc wrote: »
    Mine is the 205. The annoying thing is that at the time on Amazon, it wouldn’t have cost that much more to get one that was HRM compatible. But at the time, I didn’t think I’d ever need it. Now I’m a super duper runner :pac: a HRM would be so useful :(

Feck. Sometimes it pays to be a geek - I was in the same position more than 2 years ago - I aspired to run rather than being a runner. But it just seemed so cool to be able to track HR vs elevation and speed that I couldn't resist!

The other thing is that you could try flogging your 205 on adverts - you might get a decent enough price for it.

Feck. Sometimes it pays to be a geek - I was in the same position more than 2 years ago - I aspired to run rather than being a runner. But it just seemed so cool to be able to track HR vs elevation and speed that I couldn't resist!

The other thing is that you could try flogging your 205 on adverts - you might get a decent enough price for it.

The 305/310 and the 4's are ridiculously expensive though.

The hr monitor is great when used properly particularly for knowing your limits when racing. If you are upgrading the best value is on amazon.co.uk shipped via parcel motel... Or so Santa told me!

They're not too bad on Amazon if you're willing to bide your time - the 310 was £169 up to the other day, compared to the 10 for £99 it's a much more comprehensive device. But Amazon prices fluctuate so be prepared to be patient.

They're not too bad on Amazon if you're willing to bide your time - the 310 was £169 up to the other day, compared to the 10 for £99 it's a much more comprehensive device. But Amazon prices fluctuate so be prepared to be patient.

Would you believe that the 305 was £260 pre Xmas, that's some drop. Not bad value @ 169

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Great Limerick Run .... is entered :D

Now somebody please tell me to get off my ass and do some yoga :o

Great Limerick Run .... is entered :D

Now somebody please tell me to get off my ass and do some yoga :o

See you there cm..... You'll surely have 1000 miles done by then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Anybody have any experience with chaffing from the hr monitors?
    I have a Garmin 405cx with a hr monitor for just over a year now but I haven't used the hr monitor too often over the last 6 months due to chaffing especially during longer runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

See you there cm..... You'll surely have 1000 miles done by then?!
    Nah 1000 miles by May :eek: No chance!

• Advertisement

Nah 1000 miles by May :eek: No chance!

What's the current total??

Advertisement