Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

There is a plug-in available for Firefox(not sure about other browsers) called camel camel camel,It will give a history of pricing for a product on amazon but more importantly will alert you via email if a product falls within your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

22.86 done in 2 hrs flat. Average 5.16/km. Average HR 141.

1k splits 5.26, 5.19, 5.18, 5.31, 5.32, 5.12, 5.21, 5.34, 5.18, 5.09, 5.12, 5.15, 5.21, 5.16, 5.10, 4.57, 5.02, 5.02, 5.04, 5.12, 5.21, 5.12, 4.28 (856m)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Well that was most unjoyable!
    Havent felt 100% the last day or so but it was a lovely morning for a run (morning being 10am) so I had a small bowl of porridge and headed out an hour later.

Firstly I must have looked like a very emotional runner as the cold had tears running down my face. I had nothing in my legs, felt like 2 lumps of lead. Then right on mile 5 I got a really bad cramp. Fortunately there was a hotel about 500m away so I legged in, straight past reception lookin like something out of monthy python :O made it with seconds to spare!

So off I went on my merry way only for history to repeat itself a few mins later. Que me legging it back into hotel for 2nd time.

After all that I went off again, no more drama but felt like sh!t for the rest of the run (no pun intended)

10 tough, horrible miles done @ 7.10 pace. Avg hr 146bpm

The only positive i'll take is that the last mile was 6.41 pace

*edit I've also picked up a bit of a thigh strain :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

^^^^ that made me laugh. Sorry. Hope your thigh is ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I read it first as being enjoyable

Then was wondering what the hell was so enjoyable about that :D

• Advertisement

I read it first as being enjoyable

Then was wondering what the hell was so enjoyable about that :D

I may have made up a new word!

^^^^ that made me laugh. Sorry. Hope your thigh is ok :)

It's ok, I got a chuckle from the chicken massacare ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Gavlor wrote: »
    Well that was most unjoyable!
    Havent felt 100% the last day or so but it was a lovely morning for a run (morning being 10am) so I had a small bowl of porridge and headed out an hour later.

Firstly I must have looked like a very emotional runner as the cold had tears running down my face. I had nothing in my legs, felt like 2 lumps of lead. Then right on mile 5 I got a really bad cramp. Fortunately there was a hotel about 500m away so I legged in, straight past reception lookin like something out of monthy python :O made it with seconds to spare!

So off I went on my merry way only for history to repeat itself a few mins later. Que me legging it back into hotel for 2nd time.

After all that I went off again, no more drama but felt like sh!t for the rest of the run (no pun intended)

10 tough, horrible miles done @ 7.10 pace. Avg hr 146bpm

The only positive i'll take is that the last mile was 6.41 pace

*edit I've also picked up a bit of a thigh strain :(
    Oh you poor thing, there's nothing worse than a really crappy run, but fair play to you for keeping going after your two 'episodes'!

You should take a day or two rest and get yourself back up to full health.

It's a bit depressing that your pace during a rubbish run while sick is faster than my 10k pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

20k LSR in the Phoenix Park. Started in sleet, continued in light rain, then a brisk cold breeze. The second 10k was pretty dry. Longest run since DCM. Tried to keep HR around 150 but couldn't go slow enough. Guess I have a fast pulse. Or that I need more aerobic training. Most enjoyable afternoon. Did pretty much a complete circuit of the Park plus the length of Chesterfield. Lots of other runners out, hardy souls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

murphd77 wrote: »
    20k LSR in the Phoenix Park. Started in sleet, continued in light rain, then a brisk cold breeze. The second 10k was pretty dry. Longest run since DCM. Tried to keep HR around 150 but couldn't go slow enough. Guess I have a fast pulse. Or that I need more aerobic training. Most enjoyable afternoon. Did pretty much a complete circuit of the Park plus the length of Chesterfield. Lots of other runners out, hardy souls!

Good running murph, done 6.5miles of the Athlone 3/4 marathon course around the seriously quiet roads of Tang this morning. No fear of me meeting a runner there, sheep & rabbits are the only company i had. Superb morning for running. 13 days in a row running, only 18 in January left(in your face c_m!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

tang1 wrote: »
    done 6.5miles of the Athlone 3/4 marathon course around the seriously quiet roads of Tang this morning. No fear of me meeting a runner there, sheep & rabbits are the only company i had. Superb morning for running. 13 days in a row running, only 18 in January left(in your face c_m!!!)

A nice part of the countray!!;)

blockic wrote: »

A nice part of the countray!!;)

How goes the speedster training, nice weeks mileage you had.

How goes the speedster training, nice weeks mileage you had.

Going good yeah. Had a change of scenery this morning, 15m LSR around the port of cork, part of the Marathon route. Nice to mix things up now and again!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Previous PB: 36:04
    Goal Time: 35:00
    Actual Time: 35:22

This one was in preparation for the enniscorthy 10k in february. A nice route in fairness, not demanding at all. I ran it during the week to get a feel for it. It was only my second 5 mile race and 3rd race ever under HM distance. The idea was to gauge what condition I was in for 44:00 for the 10k. No chip timing for the event today.

It had been a very light week of running. Woke up tired but came around as the morning passed. Was busy outside and around the house and the time went fast...so fast that i left it late to eat the porridge.

Arrived 40 minutes before race start. 1 mile warm up and some stretching and a few little quick bursts before the race and i was ready.

And so off we went. Got a little trapped at the start but finally found some clear road. Mile 1 came around in 6:59. Not too bad at all. Mile 2 was ok too. I had lifted slightly and it was 7:09.

Mile 3 was not good. Right glut twinged a bit but then settled. But I was tense. I usually try to keep relaxed but I was anxious and not comfortable, no rhythm and a bit of panic was setting in. I was on my own too and on long stretch of main road. Mile 3 was 7:11.

Now it was time to push but mile 4 came in at 7:10 and I couldn't find a rhythm at all.

So the last mile I really pushed it and found some energy to sprint to the line. Mile 5 came in at 6:53. Tired and feeling a bit sick, it took some time to come around.

Overall no excuses for not hitting the goal time. A little dejected but the pace might be enough to get me in at around 44mins for 10k. I'd say 3-4 people passed me for the whole race, I had obviously found my position in the race early.

So thats the account opened for 2013. Sorry guys and gals for interrupting the great run of results for the group...will do better the next time...promise.

upthe19th wrote: »

This one was in preparation for the enniscorthy 10k in february. A nice route in fairness, not demanding at all. I ran it during the week to get a feel for it. It was only my second 5 mile race and 3rd race ever under HM distance. The idea was to gauge what condition I was in for 44:00 for the 10k. No chip timing for the event today.

It had been a very light week of running. Woke up tired but came around as the morning passed. Was busy outside and around the house and the time went fast...so fast that i left it late to eat the porridge.

Arrived 40 minutes before race start. 1 mile warm up and some stretching and a few little quick bursts before the race and i was ready.

And so off we went. Got a little trapped at the start but finally found some clear road. Mile 1 came around in 6:59. Not too bad at all. Mile 2 was ok too. I had lifted slightly and it was 7:09.

Mile 3 was not good. Right glut twinged a bit but then settled. But I was tense. I usually try to keep relaxed but I was anxious and not comfortable, no rhythm and a bit of panic was setting in. I was on my own too and on long stretch of main road. Mile 3 was 7:11.

Now it was time to push but mile 4 came in at 7:10 and I couldn't find a rhythm at all.

So the last mile I really pushed it and found some energy to sprint to the line. Mile 5 came in at 6:53. Tired and feeling a bit sick, it took some time to come around.

Overall no excuses for not hitting the goal time. A little dejected but the pace might be enough to get me in at around 44mins for 10k. I'd say 3-4 people passed me for the whole race, I had obviously found my position in the race early.

So thats the account opened for 2013. Sorry guys and gals for interrupting the great run of results for the group...will do better the next time...promise.

Well done upthe19th, you showed serious HTFU in your last mile it being your quickest. You left it all out there fact you felt like getting sick at the end. You have nothing to be ashamed of, great performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done upthe19th. I know you're a bit disappointed to miss the >35min but its still a PB :D It sounds like it was a tricky race to pace. I find its really hard to push yourself in races if you're on your own too. You'll get the sub 44 in the 10k ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Well done upthe19th, you showed serious HTFU in your last mile it being your quickest. You left it all out there fact you felt like getting sick at the end. You have nothing to be ashamed of, great performance.

+1 a PB is a PB, great running

Cheers guys. Dissappointed but more determined.

Noticed something today. First race with the boards training top and it was like a badge and felt a real sense that I was representing...really weird. That seemed to add to the dejection a bit.

onwards and upwards i guess.

ncmc wrote: »
    Oh you poor thing, there's nothing worse than a really crappy run, but fair play to you for keeping going after your two 'episodes'!

You should take a day or two rest and get yourself back up to full health.

It's a bit depressing that your pace during a rubbish run while sick is faster than my 10k pace!

Well I was about 2 stone lighter following those 'episodes' so I'd expect to run easier ;)

Fortunately there was a hotel about 500m away so I legged in

Hotel?! Pfft!! What happened to hopping over the ditch? ;)

On a serious note, hope the thigh is only a minor twinge. You need those legs to get that formality of a sub 60 in a couple of weeks.

Still a great run upthe19th. You will come back even stronger from it without a doubt. No point going all out when there is no chip! ;)

• Advertisement

Still a great run upthe19th. You will come back even stronger from it without a doubt. No point going all out when there is no chip! ;)

Cheers j. Dammit that would have been a perfect excuse....must remember that one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Jeez you sound pretty disappointed but it sounds like you're forgetting something - that was a much shorter race than you've been training for throughout the last 9 months or so. It's a totally different discipline than long-distance running - all "burst off as quickly as possible" rather than settling into it. You did 8k at better than 4.30/km - that's good running!

FWIW I found the same problem in my 6k last week - I was flat out and damn close to the back of the field, 5 mins behind the winner. But it's all experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good going this week folks, some impressive Mileage totals being clocked up!!

I see a lot of you did last weeks session. I only realised after putting it up last Sunday that it was a lot tougher than I originally thought. In retrospect I definitely should have put a few minutes recovery between the two sets of MP/HMP. So Kudos to all who got through it, and don't worry to all those who had to take a small break mid session!!

Anyways the plan this week is to do the final week of 5 mile/10 mile training for those doing Raheny and Dungarvan. This is probably going to be the toughest session of the plan so far but it will be a great indicator of the pace you will run in the race. Basically your average pace for the session should be the same as your race pace:

So the plan is:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |5/6 mile easy|rest/cross|session*|4 miles recovery|5m easy |rest/cross|LSR (10-13 miles)

Session:
    10 Milers: 1 mile warm up followed by 3 x 3 miles at Goal pace (4-5 minutes walk/jog recovery) 1 mile cool down

5 milers: 1-2 mile warm up followed by 2 x 2 miles (4-5 minute recoveries) and 1 x 1 mile at Goal pace. 1-2 mile cool down.

Those that were doing the 10k next weekend as their goal race, should just skip the session and the Saturday LSR. Do an easy run on Wednesday instead. Running on Saturday is optional, if you do run then make it short and very easy. The point is to get to the start line feeling fresh, the hard work is already done.

Hotel?! Pfft!! What happened to hopping over the ditch? ;)

On a serious note, hope the thigh is only a minor twinge. You need those legs to get that formality of a sub 60 in a couple of weeks.

[/Quote

I'll prob sit out the winter league for the next 2 weeks. It's only a minor strain so I'll just cut out the speed sessions and I should be grand. Sub 70 wouldnt be a formality at the moment never mind 60!

And hopping over a ditch is so 1985.... Though you weren't even fricken born then!

Cheers guys. Dissappointed but more determined.

Noticed something today. First race with the boards training top and it was like a badge and felt a real sense that I was representing...really weird. That seemed to add to the dejection a bit.

onwards and upwards i guess.

Am I missing something here?? I could swear you got a pb?!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

16miles at 10.04 planned...
    14miles at 9.43 done...

I also had some bathroom issues, nothing too bad, just needed to go somewhere around mile 11! Was bang on pace until then, the last 3 miles home contributed to the increased pace :)

Felt really strong though, completely different to before. I took no water on board or gels and didn't feel a thing. I think the increased amount of running we are all doing, building the mileage the legs have done, is really beginning to pay off for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Well done upthe19th - you can't discount a PB like that! Pick off the extra 22seconds next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

First "run" in I think about 7 weeks today, 30 minutes jog/walk. Delighted to be starting back out, small bit daunted at how much catch up I've to do to get any fitness back. Wore my DCM finishers shirt out to remind me of what I can do, wearing it cheered me up. A great weekends running by everyone. D

Am I missing something here?? I could swear you got a pb?!

The goal time kinda took precedence tbh gavlor.

Fair play on your "eventful" run. Fair going. I was only 6 seconds a mile faster than ya, at full tilt and at half the distance. Savage stuff and a new level of HTFU;).

• Advertisement

The goal time kinda took precedence tbh gavlor.

Fair play on your "eventful" run. Fair going. I was only 6 seconds a mile faster than ya, at full tilt and at half the distance. Savage stuff and a new level of HTFU;).

Cheers... For a while tho it was hurry the f*ck up instead of harden!!

Advertisement