Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Woke up this morning & for the 3rd night out of four had less than 3 hours
    sleep.After dropping the kids to school I didn't really feel like running & actually considered going home for some sleep & putting off the run until tomorrow.
    Que a phonecall about some work tomorrow(can't afford to turn it down) which would mean no running tomoorow & I won't get any running done on Friday either so it was a matter of HTFU & get on with it.

Had originally planned to this run over the majority of the Dungarvan 10 route but had forgooten my High Viz vest & it was a dull dreary misty old morning around Dungarvan so had to change my planned route & stick to footpaths & walking track.

1 mile warmup,really felt the cold biting wind & spent this mile trying to figure out a route circa 12 miles in my head,pace 9:10
    3 miles at goal pace,nothing too exciting on this section of the except for 2 dog owners on the points of coming to blows over whose dog was attcking whose(neither dogs on leads)head down & keep moving,pace 7:50
    4 mins recovery, pace9:26
    3 miles at goal pace,some of this was slighlty uphill & wa still trying to decide on a route that wouldn't leave me too far from the car at the end so headed out & back along Clonea strand for about a mile,managed to keep the pace up along the beach but struggled a little on the way back along the track,pace 7:56
    4 mins recovery,pace 9:10
    3 miles at goal pace,was really starting to struggle with this bit so decided to press the lap button on the garmin for the last mile & put everything into it,Except Mr Garmin forwarded onto the next 4 minute recovery :mad:,stopped for a minute but the garmin being wet wasn't agreeing with me so I ran the last mile or of this for 8 minutes off my phone as fast I could,no idea of pace only that I felt wrecked after it, 2 miles avg pace 8:00
    4 mins recovery, pace 9:18
    1 mile cool down,pace 8:58 but realised I was still about 2 mile from car

Total Meno's Session 11.29 miles in 1:33:35 (only 2 miles ran for the last 3 mile split)
    Total overall for the day 13.97 miles in 1:59:14

Felt tired but fresh after the run but really do hope that I get at least a half decent nights sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

5 mile session complete, found it tough going today, second interval was a struggle.

The intervals were 8.01 / 8.05 / 7.59.

I wore a HR monitor for the first time during this session and the Average HR's were 180 / 182 / 184. They look high to me but I've only started reading up about HR training recently and haven't tried to get my Max HR yet (using the 220 - age it would be 184 but I know this is not an accurate method).

I think sub 40 in Raheny will be tough as I only walked the recoveries and was still struggling in the final 2 intervals! I am still going to give it a lash though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Session day, i only had an 60-75mins max to do this due to work stuff and not eating into my doughnut eating time(blockic will like this). So had to tweak meno's session a bit, so 1 mile warm up, 8 miles race pace, 1 mile warm down. Race pace miles were 6.32, 6.34, 6.37, 6.35, 6.36, 6.35, 6.33, 6.41 to finish. It was tough going half way through and had to have serious words with myself to keep going, recovery run tomorrow thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

tang1 wrote: »
    Session day, i only had an 60-75mins max to do this due to work stuff and not eating into my doughnut eating time(blockic will like this). So had to tweak meno's session a bit, so 1 mile warm up, 8 miles race pace, 1 mile warm down. Race pace miles were 6.32, 6.34, 6.37, 6.35, 6.36, 6.35, 6.33, 6.41 to finish. It was tough going half way through and had to have serious words with myself to keep going, recovery run tomorrow thank god.
    That's great running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

That's great running!
    + 1 Savage stuff altogether :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great running tang, the splits contradict you finding the going tough... Mind over body!

Edit: just had a look at your target races namely bundoran 10 mile in march... Surely you're going to look at sub 1.05 based on your training pace??!

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_running/run_pace_chart.asp

Handy pace chart for all distances

Gavlor wrote: »

Great running tang, the splits contradict you finding the going tough... Mind over body!

Edit: just had a look at your target races namely bundoran 10 mile in march... Surely you're going to look at sub 1.05 based on your training pace??!

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_running/run_pace_chart.asp

Handy pace chart for all distances

Cheers Gavlor, I might revisit my goal time for Bundoran when i get closer to it. Dont want to count my chickens and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That is super stuff Tang. The reason the session is broken down into 3 x 3 miles is because it is almost impossible sustain race pace in training under normal circumstances. I would put the 3 x 3 mile session as equivalent to 5 miles continuous at 10 mile pace in training.
    When I am training for a race of any distance I always find that if I can hold x pace for half the distance of the race in training, I can hold the same pace for the total distance under race conditions.
    The fact that you were able to hold 6:3x for 8 continuous miles in training would indicate to me that you will likely go a tad faster again in the race itself. Based on that session I am predicting 65:xx at worst for you and if all goes well 64:xx.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Tonight I got set up to finally do meno's session (5 miler version). I set up the session on Garmin Connect and uploaded it to my watch. Never used the watch (a 410) for intervals before so wasn't sure how it would work. But I loaded it up and went out. Now I don't wear my glasses while running so I really can't see the watch unless I know approximately what it's trying to tell me, if you get me. And not having used the interval set-up before I could see that the watch seemed to be counting down the distance in each interval, with the pace displayed underneath, which I could barely make out. Unfortunately it seemed to be giving me distance in miles and pace in kilometers - something to do with the watch set-up, as I'd entered the workout in k's... Plus it was beeping at me every 30 secs or so which I didn't understand.

Was it measuring distance? Was it telling me to speed up? Was it telling me to slow down?

Had I read the manual? No.

Everything was fine until the recovery stages. I thought the watch was counting down the 5 mins (and maybe it was) but I couldn't see. In the end I just switched over to the distance display and went with that to give me some idea of what I was doing.

Feckin' Garmin!

Still - I did the session more or less the way I should have, although I think my pace was a bit off (slow, of course). It was tough, but I found the intervals break it up nicely and it seemed to fly in, much more so than my usual runs. Couldn't believe I'd been out for over an hour.

Never mind your HTFU. Next time I'll RTFM.

menoscemo wrote: »

That is super stuff Tang. The reason the session is broken down into 3 x 3 miles is because it is almost impossible sustain race pace in training under normal circumstances. I would put the 3 x 3 mile session as equivalent to 5 miles continuous at 10 mile pace in training.
    When I am training for a race of any distance I always find that if I can hold x pace for half the distance of the race in training, I can hold the same pace for the total distance under race conditions.
    The fact that you were able to hold 6:3x for 8 continuous miles in training would indicate to me that you will likely go a tad faster again in the race itself. Based on that session I am predicting 65:xx at worst for you and if all goes well 64:xx.

Thanks meno, it went better than expected to be honest. If i get 65.xx in March i'll be over the moon. I'm seeing great improvement with doing your sessions to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Walkedit wrote: »

Eventually got to scan the pics from Irish runner of DCM 12 start with Fifi, DeeDee and Shortie_Chick, gotta be some more in there near 5 hr pacers1

Hey thanks for that, seems a long time ago now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Super run tang there, consistant with a great pace throughout. The doughnuts must have been in the oven you were running back soo fast for them! :D
    Gavlor wrote: »

+1 you are well on for smashing 65mins after that session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks meno, it went better than expected to be honest. If i get 65.xx in March i'll be over the moon. I'm seeing great improvement with doing your sessions to be fair.

Not until March? You'll be running low 60's by then in that case. The 3 x 3 session is supposed to be done 10 days before to gauge your pace for the race. You still have another month to Improve..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Not until March? You'll be running low 60's by then in that case. The 3 x 3 session is supposed to be done 10 days before to gauge your pace for the race. You still have another month to Improve..

Alternatively tang can use the 10 miler as endurance training for Cheltenham festival in the pub the following week ;)

I'm back on the horse, 10.5 m run home from work today at avg 9;40 pace. Avg HR was 160 I think. Max HR in theory is 188 but I hit 184 with a stride, so ill have to figure out my max more accurately I think.

blockic wrote: »
    The doughnuts must have been in the oven you were running back soo fast for them!.

Still cant believe theres no Dunkin Doughnuts in Dublin, they would make a killing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Still cant believe theres no Dunkin Doughnuts in Dublin, they would make a killing!!

Think there used to be one in Grafton Street about ten years ago but didnt last long. Apparently the franchise was owned by Lyons but they weren't making enough profit so shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Deedee2012 wrote: »

Hey thanks for that, seems a long time ago now

It feckin does, but a day to remember.
    I hope your back running easy soon

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Amazing pace there so glad ur back to such great improvements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Jeez guys some amazing running going on here, makes me feel like I'm on the wrong thread with my plodding pace ;)

Had my last run in the beautiful Aussie sunshine today, 10 lovely miles, enjoying each step knowing Sunday's LSR will be back in cold, wet, dark Ireland:(

I'm happy enough to have stuck to P&D only missing one run. Considering the amount of alcohol I've consumed and rich food I've eaten over the last 3 weeks, I'm quite proud to have managed to follow the plan! I actually had to stop mid run to throw up at one point due to the mother of all hangovers ;) but I love P&D...each session has a purpose and I feel like I'm improving week to week.

So anyone thinking the plan is beyond them at this stage, believe me if I have managed it so far anyone can! I know the weather will be miserable back home but I'm kind of looking forward to training relatively alcohol free and getting early nights again! Running and partying don't mix too well but I've proved to myself that I am absolutely addicted...just like you lot ;)

Didn't bother with any races over here but I'm keen to give the carlingford half a lash on 2 march. Anyone else considering this one?

• Advertisement

Runchick wrote: »
    Jeez guys some amazing running going on here, makes me feel like I'm on the wrong thread with my plodding pace ;)

Had my last run in the beautiful Aussie sunshine today, 10 lovely miles, enjoying each step knowing Sunday's LSR will be back in cold, wet, dark Ireland:(

I'm happy enough to have stuck to P&D only missing one run. Considering the amount of alcohol I've consumed and rich food I've eaten over the last 3 weeks, I'm quite proud to have managed to follow the plan! I actually had to stop mid run to throw up at one point due to the mother of all hangovers ;) but I love P&D...each session has a purpose and I feel like I'm improving week to week.

So anyone thinking the plan is beyond them at this stage, believe me if I have managed it so far anyone can! I know the weather will be miserable back home but I'm kind of looking forward to training relatively alcohol free and getting early nights again! Running and partying don't mix too well but I've proved to myself that I am absolutely addicted...just like you lot ;)

Didn't bother with any races over here but I'm keen to give the carlingford half a lash on 2 march. Anyone else considering this one?
    Fair play to you! Great to keep to the plan on a holiday buzz! P&d here we come

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If anyone has any spare HTFU please send it on to me. I've become inexplicably soluble in the last two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Had to do my lsr midweek with my 4 mile race on Sunday and came up with some excuse or other last night, so it had to be done tonight. If it wasn't the most unpleasant run I've ever done, then it was certainly in the top 3.

The rain was sheeting down on my drive home which didn't bode well and things only got worse when I realised that all my sports bras were on the wash, so cue me desperately tring to dry it on the rad! So, damp bra on, off I went into the cold, rain and wind. The first 4/5 miles weren't too bad, but then the weather took a turn for the worse and the rain and wind was just unrelenting. At some points it felt like I were taking 2 steps forward and getting pushed 1 back.

I was worried about my watch getting wet, so I ended up taking it off and stashing it in the aforementioned damp bra! I wasn't paying too much attention to my pace, so round and round my village I go. As tedious runs go, it was a doozie! I was outside my door at mile 11 and the temptation to go inside was very strong but I dug in and pushed on for another two miles. At mile 12.5, my legs were so cold, I could hardly lift them and ended up twisting my ankle on an uneven footpath. So I limped home, cold, wet, sore and demoralised. If P&D calls for too many runs like that, then I could well struggle.

13 miles done at a 9:36 pace, a bit slower than where I need to be, but with the conditions being what they were, I'm happy enough. On the plus side, the shower never felt so good!

Edit: sorry, posted too soon.

ncmc wrote: »
    If it wasn't the most unpleasant run I've ever done, then it was certainly in the top 3.

Fair play to you for getting out and doing it. I was out in the sh*te as well tonight! Horrible. Savage head wind and rain blowing into my face for over an hour. Just think of crossing that line in Cork with a massive PB when times get tough and that feeling you get in June will make it all worth while.

Fair play to you for getting out and doing it. I was out in the sh*te as well tonight! Horrible. Savage head wind and rain blowing into my face for over an hour. Just think of crossing that line in Cork with a massive PB when times get tough and that feeling you get in June will make it all worth while.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking of! And I kept telling myself, while this run isn't really going to do much for my physical fitness, it has to be boosting my mental fitness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

ncmc wrote: »
    Had to do my lsr midweek with my 4 mile race on Sunday and came up with some excuse or other last night, so it had to be done tonight. If it wasn't the most unpleasant run I've ever done, then it was certainly in the top 3.

The rain was sheeting down on my drive home which didn't bode well and things only got worse when I realised that all my sports bras were on the wash, so cue me desperately tring to dry it on the rad! So, damp bra on, off I went into the cold, rain and wind. The first 4/5 miles weren't too bad, but then the weather took a turn for the worse and the rain and wind was just unrelenting. At some points it felt like I were taking 2 steps forward and getting pushed 1 back.

I was worried about my watch getting wet, so I ended up taking it off and stashing it in the aforementioned damp bra! I wasn't paying too much attention to my pace, so round and round my village I go. As tedious runs go, it was a doozie! I was outside my door at mile 11 and the temptation to go inside was very strong but I dug in and pushed on for another two miles. At mile 12.5, my legs were so cold, I could hardly lift them and ended up twisting my ankle on an uneven footpath. So I limped home, cold, wet, sore and demoralised. If P&D calls for too many runs like that, then I could well struggle.

13 miles done at a 9:36 pace, a bit slower than where I need to be, but with the conditions being what they were, I'm happy enough. On the plus side, the shower never felt so good!

Edit: sorry, posted too soon.

Heroic stuff, that's what PBs are made of! Was out myself doing some mile repeats, if I had to do a LSR in that mess Id probably cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    If anyone has any spare HTFU please send it on to me. I've become inexplicably soluble in the last two days.
    I would put the 3 x 3 mile session as equivalent to 5 miles continuous at 10 mile pace in training.

After wussing out of the session last night, I finally found my last scrap of HTFU hiding in the corner of the cupboard with all the sugar, salt & other stuff you'd normally try and keep dry. In fact there was just enough there to take advantage of Meno's Statement of Equivalency above (all sounds very scientific), which I'm sure he'll now point out wasn't meant to excuse us from doing our full session.:o

Nevertheless at 9.45pm, I dragged on the gear and headed out in the dark, wind & rain. 1 mile to warm up (turned out I did 5:08/km, which was faster than I wanted) then 5 miles at planned 10m pace. Nearly. I was hoping to run at 7:12/m or 4:28/km but averaged 7:30/m or 4:40/km. Not a huge distance off and tolerable, given that I was crossing junctions and running uphill on an unlit path into driving wind and rain. Finished off with a mile at 5:36/km (or just under 8:30/m). Dribbled in the front door, every stitch from head to toe soaked.

And then, feeling rather heroic for my struggles against the elements, I log on here to find ncmc did almost double what I did and in the same conditions. :confused: Well that brought me back down to earth with a bang.:o

Was just taking a look through the sheet there.

docjewel you are some mileage machine!! Are miles measured shorter down there in Fungarvan or something? :P

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    After wussing out of the session last night, I finally found my last scrap of HTFU hiding in the corner of the cupboard with all the sugar, salt & other stuff you'd normally try and keep dry. In fact there was just enough there to take advantage of Meno's Statement of Equivalency above (all sounds very scientific), which I'm sure he'll now point out wasn't meant to excuse us from doing our full session.:o

Nevertheless at 9.45pm, I dragged on the gear and headed out in the dark, wind & rain. 1 mile to warm up (turned out I did 5:08/km, which was faster than I wanted) then 5 miles at planned 10m pace. Nearly. I was hoping to run at 7:12/m or 4:28/km but averaged 7:30/m or 4:40/km. Not a huge distance off and tolerable, given that I was crossing junctions and running uphill on an unlit path into driving wind and rain. Finished off with a mile at 5:36/km (or just under 8:30/m). Dribbled in the front door, every stitch from head to toe soaked.

And then, feeling rather heroic for my struggles against the elements, I log on here to find ncmc did almost double what I did and in the same conditions. :confused: Well that brought me back down to earth with a bang.:o
    In fairness, I was doing and old woman style shuffle/plod for most of mine! Fair play for doing a speed session in that weather... That would have been a bridge too far for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Was just taking a look through the sheet there.

docjewel you are some mileage machine!! Are miles measured shorter down there in Fungarvan or something? :P

I wish they were :D some nice hills out in the west of the county too to really test the legs :cool:

Advertisement