Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

Zero miles for me since Monday! I have a virus-like illness..full of aches and pains. 2 days in bed helped but still feeling far from 100%.
    I'm so disappointed as I had planned on starting my Cork mara training this week..luckily I had included an extra 2 weeks into my training schedule.

Roll on recovery..and high five to all those running in this weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Anyone out today? It's rough!! I've a long run planned for morning, not too keen looking at forecast! Best put some htfu in my supper

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Did short run . only three miles but awful out there.never warmed up and wind and rain in my face whole way.yuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Anyone out today? It's rough!! I've a long run planned for morning, not too keen looking at forecast! Best put some htfu in my supper
    dechol wrote: »
    Did short run . only three miles but awful out there.never warmed up and wind and rain in my face whole way.yuk!

It's time like this I wish I had a treadmill! Planned 4 mile recovery this evening, but can't face going out in the cold again, so will do a very gentle 4 tomorrow morning and hopefully the weather will be ok for my race on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Yeah, I was out at 730 am. It was pretty painful. Literally sheets of sleet in my face. Did my 5.5miles - was supposed to do easy but did PMP instead. Was too cold and had to warm up.

Also have a long run planned tomorrow - 12 miles. At least I can look forward to a later start.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Teeley wrote: »
    Zero miles for me since Monday! I have a virus-like illness..full of aches and pains. 2 days in bed helped but still feeling far from 100%.
    I'm so disappointed as I had planned on starting my Cork mara training this week..luckily I had included an extra 2 weeks into my training schedule.

Roll on recovery..and high five to all those running in this weather!

I haven't ran since "crampgate" last Saturday due to the same flu like illness.

For a while I thought I had contracted man flu and even contemplated calling an ambulance. However, it appears I'm coming out the other side and will hopefully get 7-8 in tomoro. An hour on the turbo trainer tonight should loosen me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Gavlor wrote: »
    I haven't ran since "crampgate" last Saturday due to the same flu like illness.

For a while I thought I had contracted man flu and even contemplated calling an ambulance. However, it appears I'm coming out the other side and will hopefully get 7-8 in tomoro. An hour on the turbo trainer tonight should loosen me up.

Hopefully your legs and not your bowels :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'm no doctor but I'd be particularly careful about trying to come back to running too quickly after a viral illness. Wasn't there someone on the DCM12 thread who told their own story about suffering chronic fatigue after doing just that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I'm no doctor but I'd be particularly careful about trying to come back to running too quickly after a viral illness. Wasn't there someone on the DCM12 thread who told their own story about suffering chronic fatigue after doing just that?

Yip, poor Mr Slow, hes only coming out the other side of it now after more than a year or so. He suffered bigtime god help him.

I thought so but wasn't sure. It's a lesson worth remembering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Fair play to u any of u out in that, I thankfully had planned to take today n tomorrow off anyway as doing 5k on Sunday , am so pleased not to be going out in that! I often go to treadmill in my local gym when weather too bad n I find it great for doing intervals like pyramids! Good luck to all running over the weekend n be careful on the roads/footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

In Donegal today and headed out in the sleet for an 8k - was well wrapped up and have to say I enjoyed it, very peaceful country roads. The sleet just reminded me of my long run last saturday, which also began in similar conditions. Felt good, which is a relief after struggling with meno's session the other night.

I know conditions don't seem great but you have to remember we have the benefit of a temperate climate. Sometimes we forget we're on the same latitude as Newfoundland!

murphd77 wrote: »

In Donegal today and headed out in the sleet for an 8k - was well wrapped up and have to say I enjoyed it, very peaceful country roads. The sleet just reminded me of my long run last saturday, which also began in similar conditions. Felt good, which is a relief after struggling with meno's session the other night.

I know conditions don't seem great but you have to remember we have the benefit of a temperate climate. Sometimes we forget we're on the same latitude as Newfoundland!
    What part Donegal u in? I'm inishowen ! Plenty hills! Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'm feeling a bit lazy reading about you lot.

New runner wrote: »
    What part Donegal u in? I'm inishowen ! Plenty hills! Lol!

Southwest, near Killybegs. Live in Dublin but spend a good bit of time here so get to do some running. Haven't tackled many of the hills yet but will definitely be in the plan for the next marathon build up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

New runner & murph77, ye running Bundoran in March? Knows its a good journey for both of you but its a great race.

No race booked for March yet so might look it up, thanks. Not that far from my usual Donegal base and would love to do an event up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Luckily the weather hasn't been as bad down south,a bit chily & a cold shower of rain but it was good to get out after 2 days of enforced rest,7.5miles for the morning.

tang1 wrote: »
    New runner & murph77, ye running Bundoran in March? Knows its a good journey for both of you but its a great race.
    Naw tang1 planning on doing omagh half marathon on 30th march, there's a local ballyliffin 10mile challenge , which is very hilly but gorgeous scenery the same day which I'd have liked to do but have signed to do the derry marathon on 2nd June so wud like to get a half marathon done. Have just discovered today though that there is to be an inishowen half on 28th April so might do Ballyliffin.

docjewel wrote: »
    Luckily the weather hasn't been as bad down south,a bit chily & a cold shower of rain but it was good to get out after 2 days of enforced rest,7.5miles for the morning.

Typical - monsoon on Thursday night. Last night when I couldn't run it was calm and dry. Hope the harsh weather stays off for LSR tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Shamed by you lot into doing yesterday's run this morning. 7.5m in wind cold & sleet. Not too bad actually, kept pace & happy to get it done. Toes frozen though.

Burnt the credit card out last night as well. Have added....

Great Ireland Run -10k
    Race series 5m
    Race series 10m
    Dublin Half Marathon
    DCM13

...to the schedule.

Checking my splits from this morning, i tucked the watch under the sleeve & ran to feel. Really happy with this...

9.48 / 9.34 / 9.43 / 9.30 / 9.32 / 9.37 / 9.34 / 9.26

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Back from 14 mile LSR, keeping the pace around 8.50 or so. Miserable day and pretty cold but nice to be out all the same. Starting to feel like the slow slow base building miles over Nov and Dec paying off, 15 weeks out from Limerick seems a long way!

Was hmming and hawing about whether to go for a run or not, want fresh legs for tomorrow's race, but hadn't been out since Thursday nights lsr and 2 days off is really too much for a 4 mile race. Do went out for a slow 4 miles, averaging 9:40.

I think the weather gods are against me, I had just about warmed up after Thursday nights drenching, and the weather was pretty ok all day. The minute I stepped outside it started pouring! I got absolutely soaked, the minute I got back in the car, it stopped! What's that about???

Looking forward to the race tomorrow, have never run such a short race before and with limited speed training, I don't know what to aim for. I think I'd be happy with anything under 30 mins at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

ncmc wrote: »
    Was hmming and hawing about whether to go for a run or not, want fresh legs for tomorrow's race, but hadn't been out since Thursday nights lsr and 2 days off is really too much for a 4 mile race. Do went out for a slow 4 miles, averaging 9:40.

I think the weather gods are against me, I had just about warmed up after Thursday nights drenching, and the weather was pretty ok all day. The minute I stepped outside it started pouring! I got absolutely soaked, the minute I got back in the car, it stopped! What's that about???

Looking forward to the race tomorrow, have never run such a short race before and with limited speed training, I don't know what to aim for. I think I'd be happy with anything under 30 mins at the moment.

Hi ncmc, I never done one either and went down to the Parkrun a while back. The only thing I'd say is to make sure you've warmed up properly like meno said. I spent the first mile feeling as stiff as anything cause I didn't. This is fine when its a half marathon but for such a short race where you need to run quickly almost straight away its very important.

ncmc wrote: »
    Was hmming and hawing about whether to go for a run or not, want fresh legs for tomorrow's race, but hadn't been out since Thursday nights lsr and 2 days off is really too much for a 4 mile race.

Where's the four-miler, ncmc? I did one last year - Liberties Run in July - which was hugely enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Typical - monsoon on Thursday night. Last night when I couldn't run it was calm and dry. Hope the harsh weather stays off for LSR tomorrow.

I had a 2.5hr drive on Thurs night & it was shocking to say the least,passed through a few towns & there were quite a few hardy souls out running.
    Nights like that will make us appreciate the little bit of sunshine when we get it.

rasher_m wrote: »
    Hi ncmc, I never done one either and went down to the Parkrun a while back. The only thing I'd say is to make sure you've warmed up properly like meno said. I spent the first mile feeling as stiff as anything cause I didn't. This is fine when its a half marathon but for such a short race where you need to run quickly almost straight away its very important.
    Will do Rasher, plan to do a slow 2 miles to warm up.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Where's the four-miler, ncmc? I did one last year - Liberties Run in July - which was hugely enjoyable.

It's a BHAA road race in Little Island just outside Cork. Plan to do a few more BHAA races as tune up races which are required in P&D. They're only €8 to enter or €5 if you're a member.

• Advertisement

Must look into them - sound like a good system.

Was just watching the forecast though - hope it stays fine for us all to do our running tomorrow...

Advertisement