Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Registered for Cork. good value at €65.
    Booked Best Western Hotel with Lidl Breaks.
    it's great to have a new GOAL & reignite my sub 4 dream ;-)
    Hope we can arrange a meet up after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Registered for Cork. good value at €65.
    Booked Best Western Hotel with Lidl Breaks.
    it's great to have a new GOAL & reignite my sub 4 dream ;-)
    Hope we can arrange a meet up after!
    Is that the one in Montenotte? It's a nice hotel, it's about 2km to the starting line in Patricks St, all downhill though ;) Walking back up after the marathon and a few pints could be the fun part :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Deedee2012

Back from trip to physio. My knee was really sore after my first post DCM run so thought I better get checked out before resuming training. ITB a bit niggly and patella tendon a touch sore. He did a bit of work on both and suggested some exercises. Am ok to do a few miles as and when I feel like it and to build back up from there. That's what I would be doing anyway so no big problem. He was the second physio to say that I must have a good running style/ stretching regime to have such few issues. I use my foam roller a lot so that's what i put it down to. So that's good at least I don't have to change anything. He recommended core work and some leg strengthening, again was planning on doing this so am on the right track. Feeling like a big lazy bones cos I'm not out pounding a pavement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

DOCO12 wrote: »

Snap with this one Trampas. I know we've been told we should leave it until May/ June but I can't get Paris or Rotterdam out of my head. Paris suits better work wise and has the atmosphere scenery etc? But the non-congested fast course in Rotterdam is appealing too. Ah what to do? :confused: The different race reviews have me very confused! Anybody know if either of these sell out fast?

Anyone else feel like they've so much free time from lack of training? Hence why I'm doing nothing but looking up races :confused: I'm feeling very lazy and sluggish. Can't justify my over-eating either :(
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I advised against a March marathon, April is better ;).

As far as I know, Rotterdam does not sell out. I heard that up until a few years ago you could even buy an entry on the morning of the race. Not sure if you can do that any more...

Can't do rotterdam as wedding that weekend. So Paris or nothing. I am not that interested in running all out just getting around as such

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aoifo

docrock wrote: »
    Ok finally getting around to add my two cents to this thread.You boys & girls were fast off the mark in fairness to you.Like someone else earlier I didnt make McGrattens either so it would be nice to put faces to the names, plus what really pisses me off is that I must have been running in some of youre shoes for a long way without knowing it & who knows a bit of a chat might have passed the miles a bit easier all round.

What are your next goals? (another marathon, concentrate on shorter distances etc.)
    Just to keep up the training & see what happens, it was always in the back of my mind to do a marathon but I never thought that I'd get to that level & I know youve heard it a thousand times before but if I can do it anyone can.I also never thought that I'd enjoy or manage to fit in the training either or in fact miss it as much now that I've done nothing over the past week - except eat rubbish!!! I dont know what I'll do to be honest,I told myself never again 1,000 times over the last 4 miles but I feel that theres a small bit of unfinished business all the same.Did I enjoy Dublin, yeah had a ball for 21 odd miles but the last 5 will live with me forever:eek:Am I wiser & would I do things differently to avoid the meltdown & make me enjoy the whole experience again, most definately but the jury is still out as to whether I'll have another go or not.The strange thing is that I cant wait to get out for a few miles but I picked up a foot injury which only flared up on tuesday. I thought that it would settle down a bit more than what it has so I went off to A&E this morning for an xray which came back fine. They said it probably only a tissue injury which should clear up with a bit of rest & physio.I have been bathing it in epsom salts & putting on some difflam cream but as long as I know theres nothing broken I'm more at ease with it -the timeframe didnt really bother me up until this week but I feel that unless I start doing something again I'll end up watching the champions league & the rugby over the winter, which is not what I want to do.

What type of training to you entend to do over the winter? (strenthening, endurance, just keep ticking over)
    Definately core strengthening training a few times a week on top of the usual miles.If I had the chance to do one thing again before last Monday it would be to strengthen my hamstrings,quads, hips - that general area was where the real pressure came on.

Where do you hope to see yourself to be in 12 months with your running? (PBs, races run etc.)
    I would like to do a sub 4 hr marathon & I think thats what will keep me running to that level.I know what to do now (kind of anyway) its whether I have the drive to do it or not is the question.I suppose the target first was to get under an hour for 10k, then under 2 hrs for the half & 4 for the full, the only one of those that I havent done is the latter & the others are being done comfortably at this stage.I'd also like to be about a stone lighter than where I am at the moment which I think would make a massive overall difference - its not that easy to lose weight when youre starved after a 20k run though:eek:

Hey, aoifo how's your foot since Dublin, you seemed to pick up the same injury as me???? I was fine on Monday & then on Tuesday out of nowhere I cant walk on it without pain. Its just below the ankle area on the outside of my foot but as I said above after the trip to xray its just a soft tissue injury which can be sorted fairly quickly.

I look forward to posting a bit more here than what I did on on the novices thread (only found it in Sept) & well done with all the efforts.

Hi docrock,
    Glad to hear your foot pain isnt to serious, i'm due at the physio tonite so hopefully I get good news, as like you I havent ran since the marathon and cant wait to get back out again. I can feel it getting slightly better but just want to get the all clear.
    The fact that yours isnt to bad is giving me a bit more confidence, so fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

rasher_m wrote: »
    Anyone up for a run in the park this weekend?
    If so then I'll stick it in the running thread

I'm away this weekend so be running on my lonesome (on a wexford beach :)) but be up for a run in the park next weekend if you're around

Be first night out since DCM - never did have my glass of wine after the race that I was dreaming of as felt too sick so gonna make up for things this weekend now...
    From the sound of those here who went out last weekend, marathon running impairs your ability to cope with a hangover so Sunday morning run should be interesting... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

FiiFii wrote: »

I'm away this weekend so be running on my lonesome (on a wexford beach :)) but be up for a run in the park next weekend if you're around

Be first night out since DCM - never did have my glass of wine after the race that I was dreaming of as felt too sick so gonna make up for things this weekend now...
    From the sound of those here who went out last weekend, marathon running impairs your ability to cope with a hangover so Sunday morning run should be interesting... ;)

Enjoy Fifi  Hope ya don't feel as bad as I did last Sun. Maybe go for the run Sat instead? Ha

Allot seem to be doing Cork. Anyone have any idea of the numbers that do this? It will be either Cork or a European one for me. Thanks Meno for the thumbs up for an April one, it's good to have the bosses approval :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

There's no chocolate in the house :mad:

How can I be expected to run.......2 miles.......tomorrow when I'm malnourished????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

ncmc wrote: »
    Is that the one in Montenotte? It's a nice hotel, it's about 2km to the starting line in Patricks St, all downhill though ;) Walking back up after the marathon and a few pints could be the fun part :p
    That's the one. I've been warned!! Taxi!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

That's a great way of looking at it actually, I have heard some runners giving out about being overtaken by the relay and half runners, but like you, my attitude would be more runners = better atmosphere, so it's all good!

People will pass you towards the end of your race but on the other hand you'll finish faster than some who are running just the last few miles, your race is only between you and the clock. (Now if I could adopt that philosophy myself....);)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

FiiFii wrote: »

Hi Fifi, yeah sure we can organise it next week and see where we're at.
    Enjoy your weekend in Wexford ;)

There's two of us now going up to the park this Sunday so I'll stick it in the running thread once we confirm a time in the morning and then anyone else interested can join as well. It will probably be about 7 miles at 10 min pace.

I borrowed this from Mr Slow's log.....it's for people like me who due to various time constraints/motivational issues won't make a gym class :D

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Here we go again then.... :eek:

Thanks for your entry for the ABN AMRO Marathon Rotterdam.

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 you will experience Holland’s biggest one day sports event.

...better start training!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

blockic wrote: »

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 you will experience Holland’s biggest one day sports event.

SeriouslyJealous.com!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Not quite as cool as Rotterdam but heres what I got up to this evening

Products on order:
    1 x Cork City Marathon - €65.00
    SKU: mara-2013
    Name: Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

blockic wrote: »

Fantastic, I'm Rotterdam bound also. Haven't booked but getting the itch after that post, but wiser to hold out till I'm 100% with wok etc.

What's your plan training-wise?

I don't think an 18 week plan is necessary, it would mean kicking off before Christmas. I'm going to base build with slow miles (up to 30 m/pw) until the end of the the year and then start a program in the new year. I don't want to be rigid with a plan on Christmas week.

The best thing about marathons abroad is that it makes the whole marathon/running thing more appealing to the OH, something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

So I started my strength training last night.

It was me and two other guys (who I hadn't met before) with an instructor and some TRX equipment. (TRX is suspension cords where you do things like hang back and pull yourself to an upright position.)

One of the guys puked, another went to the toilet for undisclosed reasons and I was broken within about 20 minutes...it was as if the marathon fitness stood for nothing.

Not an encouraging start! I'll give the TRX one more try next week before considering alternative means of gaining strength over the winter.

What are the rest of you doing for strength and conditioning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

have you all seen this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Thanks RayCun looks great, I'll check it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good to see ye all planning on keeping up the running.

In a couple of weeks, ye should get the group runs going again in the Phoenix Park, if a few of ye are round Dublin. They make the runs on a cold, manky day far easier.

Also there's plenty races and ye don't all have to do marathons next. There's plenty 10 milers and halfs on these days. Such as Dungarvan and Mallow 10 milers, Bohermeen half in Meath and they are all pb courses.

If ye want to go really far, Larne and Omagh halfs in March/April are very well done and a good way to see how a race can be done at a very good price while having all the trimmings. Cork half in June is a lighting fast course too.

Ye know that Meno will expect to be paid in pints after races:p. So speed training is for the pub, not the races:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Went to the local athletics club Winter league last night.
    First off were those new on the night but due to me chatting to others & reliving the Marathon exploits I was over 2 minutes behind my allotted start time:PBut was joined by another lad who was also late starting so we headed off together.
    The course is 5.2 miles long but after the 1st mile or so my running buddy for the night realised he should have been doing the shorte course of 2.5miles(Rookie errors all round).
    Watches or phones are strictly not allowed so it felt strange running not knowing distance/time/pace but we took it nice & handy & I think we completed the courses in officially 42 odd minutes which should give a nice little buffer for the handicap I'll be given for the next week.
    I'm gonna miss this next Wednesday night but already looking forward to the following weeks,parked the car about a mile away so had a nice little run to warm up beforehand & cool down afterwards.
    Now to decide if I'll do the 5 mile race on Sunday morning,about half it is on an off road vehicle track but will decide on that closer to the time.
    Felt strange but good not to have a watch or phone with me last night,especially after all the running so far & continuously checking time/distance/pace, something I think I should do a bit more often.
    Also because I do 99% of my running on my own it felt good to run with someone last night & have a good chat along the way,the time really flew.

docjewel wrote: »
    Felt strange but good not to have a watch or phone with me last night,especially after all the running so far & continuously checking time/distance/pace, something I think I should do a bit more often.
    Also because I do 99% of my running on my own it felt good to run with someone last night & have a good chat along the way,the time really flew.
    That’s something I was just thinking about while out running last night, I was wearing my cheapo Aldi fleece running top :rolleyes: and the sleeves are so tight at the wrist, I wasn’t able to keep checking my watch like I normally do! Turns out when I checked later, I had kept to a nice steady, easy pace the whole time. I just turned of my brain and kind of ran on autopilot. It’s nice not to overthink things sometimes!

How is everyone finding their runs this week? I am finding the niggles that I had during the marathon, that is to say, left knee and right hamstring do flare up a little, but I’m just taking it handy and found last night was an improvement on the night before, so hopefully a couple of weeks easy running and I’ll be grand.

I am finding it a bit of a mental battle to force myself out this week though! It’s so cold and miserable and with nothing specifically to train for, it does leave it difficult, but I suppose a good dose of HTFU is required!

Woohoo.... 2000 posts!!!

I am finding it a bit of a mental battle to force myself out this week though! It’s so cold and miserable and with nothing specifically to train for, it does leave it difficult, but I suppose a good dose of HTFU is required!

Woohoo.... 2000 posts!!!
    Em, Waterford :confused:

Em, Waterford :confused:
    Ah sure that's just a wee jog round the block after the marathon :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Mr Slow wrote: »
    People will pass you towards the end of your race but on the other hand you'll finish faster than some who are running just the last few miles, your race is only between you and the clock. (Now if I could adopt that philosophy myself....);)

Stop it now...I'd decided against the Belfast marathon in May mainly because of the relay runners, now I'm reconsidering :rolleyes: I suppose you're right, it comes down to attitude, but the marathoners are very outnumbered in Belfast, something like 3,000 full runners to 10,000 relay. Anyone here got an opinion on Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Runchick wrote: »
    Stop it now...I'd decided against the Belfast marathon in May mainly because of the relay runners, now I'm reconsidering :rolleyes: I suppose you're right, it comes down to attitude, but the marathoners are very outnumbered in Belfast, something like 3,000 full runners to 10,000 relay. Anyone here got an opinion on Belfast?

I was entered to Belfast and decided not to do it - doing Limerick the day before instead.

I spoke to a couple of people that did it before (including someone from Belfast and not one of them said they enjoyed it :confused:) all different reasons ranging from very hilly, to getting caught behind a railway level crossing gate!

I was entered to Belfast and decided not to do it - doing Limerick the day before instead.

I spoke to a couple of people that did it before (including someone from Belfast and not one of them said they enjoyed it :confused:) all different reasons ranging from very hilly, to getting caught behind a railway level crossing gate!

Thanks Killian, Yeah I've heard a few horror stories too so think I'll give it a miss. It would be such a shame to put all that work in and not enjoy the experience for the types of reasons you mention. Limerick could be a goer, a nice weekend away for the family, sure why not ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Runchick wrote: »
    Limerick could be a goer, a nice weekend away for the family, sure why not ;)

Why, where are they going while you're in Limerick?
    :D

RayCun wrote: »
    Why, where are they going while you're in Limerick?
    :D

lol :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

A couple of my friends had planned to do Belfast. Reckon I'll be sending them a link to this thread!

Advertisement