Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2012 Graduates - the next step

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ncmc wrote: »
    It's a BHAA road race in Little Island just outside Cork. Plan to do a few more BHAA races as tune up races which are required in P&D. They're only €8 to enter or €5 if you're a member.

Thats great value! Best of luck tomorrow N

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Must look into them - sound like a good system.

Meh - one in Dublin, one in Cork, nothing for the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Sick baby last night meant sleepy daddy and this mornings run postponed. Eventually got out at 2pm and I has zero motivation (after a fry). Decided to head over to Howth in prep for my hellandback race next weekend. So I ran up the Sutton side and at the summit I took the trails down (muck and puddles!), I ran the pier too which was exhilarating and home. It turned out to be a great run and what I needed! I was starving the last 2 miles.
    Ended up 12.2m at avg 10:08 pace and avg HR 164. HR hit 185 up the last hill, so I'm guessing my max is over 190.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

It's a BHAA road race in Little Island just outside Cork. Plan to do a few more BHAA races as tune up races which are required in P&D. They're only €8 to enter or €5 if you're a member.

If I didnt have an LSR tomorrow I might have popped down to this one! Must obey Pfitzinger though!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭New runner

Was hmming and hawing about whether to go for a run or not, want fresh legs for tomorrow's race, but hadn't been out since Thursday nights lsr and 2 days off is really too much for a 4 mile race. Do went out for a slow 4 miles, averaging 9:40.

I think the weather gods are against me, I had just about warmed up after Thursday nights drenching, and the weather was pretty ok all day. The minute I stepped outside it started pouring! I got absolutely soaked, the minute I got back in the car, it stopped! What's that about???

Looking forward to the race tomorrow, have never run such a short race before and with limited speed training, I don't know what to aim for. I think I'd be happy with anything under 30 mins at the moment.
    Good luck for tomorrow, I'm in the same boat, haven't ran since Thursday n doing 5k race tomoro, really hoping for 21.59 as did 5k last week in 22.10! However I've a productive cough n feel bit wheezy so don't know if it possible . Had 3 friends of my daughters here since yest eve until 20 mins ago so cudnt get couple miles slotted , was thinking maybe of doing 30mins on cross trainer to losses the legs. Weather not helping here either, hopefully b no snow! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

New runner wrote: »
    Good luck for tomorrow, I'm in the same boat, haven't ran since Thursday n doing 5k race tomoro, really hoping for 21.59 as did 5k last week in 22.10! However I've a productive cough n feel bit wheezy so don't know if it possible . Had 3 friends of my daughters here since yest eve until 20 mins ago so cudnt get couple miles slotted , was thinking maybe of doing 30mins on cross trainer to losses the legs. Weather not helping here either, hopefully b no snow! Good luck!

Stick to what you did pre last weeks 5k. Assuming your race is in the morning, then unless you normally excersise 12-13 hours before a race then no prob. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with the the xtrainer

Gavlor wrote: »

Stick to what you did pre last weeks 5k. Assuming your race is in the morning, then unless you normally excersise 12-13 hours before a race then no prob. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with the the xtrainer
    Thanks Gavlor but have done 5miles now, maybe stupid but psychologically wanted to get few miles in as cant run on Monday as taking my mum to hospital in Sligo n didn't get yesterday either, hopefully b ok for tomoro.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Just checking in from snowy Canada (from what I hear your weather isn't too dissimilar this weekend..). Been mostly off the running grid since got here - had a bad cold for 1st week and a half plus combined with tired legs from lots of snowboarding and a few minor injury's from falling on the slopes here means havn't done much.. Joined a local gym so 2-3 short runs a wk is all I've done so am slowly seeing all my marathon fitness go... :(

Good to catch up on all the post's here - and fair play to everyone keeping up the plans in the face of what sounds like horrendous weather!

Got the P&D book on my Kindle so been reading that this wk to try and get some motivation up... Hating the whole gym element, would soooo love a lovely long run around Phoenix Park tomorrow... Found a running shop nearby so gonna pop into them to ask about any routes that would be feasible (and not risk slipping on black ice) or if recommend any of the grips for my runners as I think 6 miles is the longest I can do in the gym before I die of boredom... Gonna have to take some inspiration from people off here and make more of an effort with the running next wk or before you know it I'll be back finding 5k's difficult...

WalkedIt - nice to see our DCM pic reappear there (though still can't believe they missed you!)

17 miles done this morning. yes! this morning! :eek: This having to be back by a certain time business is a pain in the arse. My poor bed missed me! :D

Once I got out it was grand though albeit in the rain. Now the rest of the day to relax. Nice!

Who would have thought that a week of flu and a bottle of wine last night would not be conducive to effective running?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

blockic wrote: »
    17 miles done this morning. yes! this morning! :eek: This having to be back by a certain time business is a pain in the arse. My poor bed missed me! :D

Once I got out it was grand though albeit in the rain. Now the rest of the day to relax. Nice!

I know u can blaze through 17 miles pretty quickly but its nice to see you being converted to a morning runner,your run done before 12 in the day is pretty impressive:-P

Not long back from a total of 23.1km, nearly 21 of which I shared with UpThe19th. Despite me being a bit tired after a late night last night, we'd a grand run - a bit faster than we'd planned but within the target range of 8-9min/m (5:00 - 5:40/km). Garmin data here. Couple of tiny sleet flurries but nothing serious thankfully. Some difference though having someone to run with - I did the same route last week and it felt at least twice as long on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Was hmming and hawing about whether to go for a run or not, want fresh legs for tomorrow's race, but hadn't been out since Thursday nights lsr and 2 days off is really too much for a 4 mile race. Do went out for a slow 4 miles, averaging 9:40.

I think the weather gods are against me, I had just about warmed up after Thursday nights drenching, and the weather was pretty ok all day. The minute I stepped outside it started pouring! I got absolutely soaked, the minute I got back in the car, it stopped! What's that about???

Looking forward to the race tomorrow, have never run such a short race before and with limited speed training, I don't know what to aim for. I think I'd be happy with anything under 30 mins at the moment.

Good luck today ncmc. Fair play to you for running in those conditions on Thursday, reading about runs like that helps motivate me to get my ass out the door :)

^^^^^ fair play to ye, clocking up some miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Interesting week of running for me. First 3 runs of the week done in hot sunny conditions...followed by a 4 mile recovery on a treadmill in Dubai on Friday and not long back from a cold 14 mile LSR back on home turf. Had been dreading today's run but it wasn't too bad, averaged 9.50 pace, which is a tad faster than I had intended but felt very comfortable. Only problem was tight muscles, especially calves..probably due to not foam rolling for a few weeks and then sitting on a plane for the best part of 2 days. It took a strong dose of HTFU to haul myself in to a very cold bath - ice definitely not required at this time of year :eek: But feeling the benefits now so hopefully worth it.

Will need plenty of motivation from you guys this week, its back to 6am runs in the dark this week :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Did my LSR(12.69miles) this morning incorporating some really long uphill climbs,some really light flutters of snow but nothing serious.Thankfully stayed dry but there was always a chilling breeze around,very hard to warm up until a few strides were thrown into the mix on the last mile home.

Well done u, 17 miles! Impressive !

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Not long back from a total of 23.1km, nearly 21 of which I shared with UpThe19th. Despite being a bit tired after a late night last night, we'd a grand run - a bit faster than we'd planned but within the target range of 8-9min/m (5:00 - 5:40/km). Garmin data here. Couple of tiny sleet flurries but nothing serious thankfully. Some difference though having someone to run with - I did the same route last week and it felt at least twice as long on my own.

Easiest LSR i'd say I ever did...thanks to the company of dilbert, always a pleasure. I ran a bit further down the hill and back after you left to bring the run to 14miles.

I was delighted that the right ITB stayed together. Will try to get some dry needling this week to sort it out. It is tender to the touch. It's never given trouble before...but then I'm doing more milage than ever before. I have done more milage in last 3 weeks than I did for the first 12 weeks of last year.

The auld body is going to have to get used to it cos I ain't stopping:).

Bit disappointed with my 5k race today as ended up 2secs slower than las week! However do have a cold n was coughing badly, that combined with fact that I think for me racing today I did too many miles this week especially after racing last week, clocked up 42miles from last Sunday til yesterday so prob wasn't best idea, but wanted to get a long run in as didn't last week with doing 5k too. Was soo cold but thankfully dry n the hill in this 1 was just too much for me n ended up walking a bit which was disappointing as it my 1st 5k to ever walk in!! However did manage to claw back few secs n do sprint finish with a time of 22.12, as I say 2 secs slower than my PB last week of 22.10 which was flatter! So hopefully next 1 manage to lose few secs.

docjewel wrote: »
    I know u can blaze through 17 miles pretty quickly but its nice to see you being converted to a morning runner,your run done before 12 in the day is pretty impressive:-P

Left at 9:15 and that is an awful early hour to be out running! Hopefully just a once off! :D;)

Great running today be everyone also, esp in the weather. We will have it way too easy when our sunny summer comes along! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Willie42

Ran my first race and 10k of the year and first ever this morning in The Heath, Portlaoise. Great day for running, dry, no great wind but freezing cold. Great set up there in fairness, loads of parking, officials, roads closed etc. Announced in club house afterwards nearly 700 runners so not bad for a local GAA race!

Thanks to Meno's training came in at exactly as planned, or just about. Trained at 8:30 pace (not near as fast as most of you guys I know but hey someone has to be the slow one;) which was a big jump for me as only started running Jan 12 (Ran DCM12 in 4:29). Ran the first 3 miles in 24 mins which was thrilled with so thought I was going to really make headway on time but mile 4-5 was practically all up hill hence time of 9:02 but made up for it and ran mile 6 at 8:11 so was happy with that. Chip time 52:25 so happy with that and look forward to improving for next time out and maybe pushing that little bit harder.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

New Runner, I think it is harder on the lungs to run in really cold weather, I certainly felt it this morning.

So my first race since DCM and my first short race meant I was a bit unsure what to expect. It was very, very cold this morning, dry thankfully, but I was sorry I'd forgotten my gloves and hat. I did a mile warm up, much to the chagrin of my work colleague who was running with me, but the race was 15 mins late in starting, so the benefit of the warm up probably was gone at that stage and I felt myself getting very cold as I waited.

Off we went and I realised there was something wrong with my watch, it was reading my miles per hour rather than my pace so I couldn't figure out what pace I was going and I didn't know how to change it back. Turns out I had somehow changed it to biking.... D'oh! I was just going by time and as a result probably took the first mile a bit fast. My friend had zoomed ahead of me so I just put the head down and went as fast as I could. The wind was biting into my face, definitely not pleasant running conditions. I struggled a bit in the middle, I would say my pace slowed a bit but I was averaging about 7:10 miles. It was tough going I have to say and I was wheezing like an oul one with emphysema but I managed to finish quite strong despite my breakfast churning around my stomach like a washing machine on a spin cycle! Unfortunately my watch didn't give me my splits, but I finished the 4 miles in 28:20.

I'm a little disappointed with those 20 seconds, but I think I definitely could have knocked a few seconds per mile off if it hadn't been so cold. Considering I've done very little speed training, I'm happy enough. There's another 4 miles next month, so would hope to be closer to 27 mins.

Oh forgot to say, my work colleague that zoomed ahead? Pipped him with half a mile to go and finished about 30 seconds ahead of him. Fast and steady wins the race ;)

I managed to finish quite strong despite my breakfast churning around my stomach like a washing machine on a spin cycle!

Sounds like you ran the race perfectly so. That's what your stomach is supposed to feel like! ;)

How'd you find the short race experience? Totally different to long-distance races.

Sounds like you ran the race perfectly so. That's what your stomach is supposed to feel like! ;)

How'd you find the short race experience? Totally different to long-distance races.

Tough blockic, tough! I can honestly say I was more tired at the finish line today than I was at the end of the marathon! It was great though, and you know the best bit was, it didn't take up the whole day like a longer race does!

Will definitely be doing more, I could feel my lungs going 90 so I think shorter races will be a massive aid to the P&D plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done N :D Great running there :D

Well done N :D Great running there :D
    +1 - delighted it went so well for you. Was peppering to see how you'd gotten on.

Oh forgot to say, my work colleague that zoomed ahead? Pipped him with half a mile to go and finished about 30 seconds ahead of him. Fast and steady wins the race ;)
    Well done NCMC! Great running! The short races are def tough n cold makes breathing so difficult . Funny how u feel worse when u don't do as well as hoped😪. Last week I was buzzing when I had done better than hoped , it suddenly didn't feel it was so bad n forgot I had felt like dying during it too lol!
    Here's to us both losing those few extra seconds next time 😜

Willie42 wrote: »
    Ran my first race and 10k of the year and first ever this morning in The Heath, Portlaoise. Great day for running, dry, no great wind but freezing cold. Great set up there in fairness, loads of parking, officials, roads closed etc. Announced in club house afterwards nearly 700 runners so not bad for a local GAA race!

Thanks to Meno's training came in at exactly as planned, or just about. Trained at 8:30 pace (not near as fast as most of you guys I know but hey someone has to be the slow one;) which was a big jump for me as only started running Jan 12 (Ran DCM12 in 4:29). Ran the first 3 miles in 24 mins which was thrilled with so thought I was going to really make headway on time but mile 4-5 was practically all up hill hence time of 9:02 but made up for it and ran mile 6 at 8:11 so was happy with that. Chip time 52:25 so happy with that and look forward to improving for next time out and maybe pushing that little bit harder.:)
    Well done , great running!

• Advertisement

Glad you heeded my advice about the only person you need to beat is yourself ;)

Well done today

Advertisement